Author Topic: Wed to a Mexican: It's time to end the stereotypes  (Read 406 times)

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Wed to a Mexican: It's time to end the stereotypes
« on: October 08, 2007, 04:03:16 PM »
Wife tells of negative reactions from fellow Anglos

Why does the word Mexican, or categorizing someone as a Mexican, sound so dirty to some people these days?

On the flip side, why does American, or being an American, sound so heroic, particularly as it relates to the debate about immigration?

When the opportunity presents itself, I proudly mention that my husband is Mexican, and I intentionally wait to observe the facial reactions of disbelief and mild disgust. To many Anglo-Americans, the word "Mexican" elicits images of uneducated, sweaty illegal immigrants sneaking across the borders to fulfill menial tasks or, even worse, violent crimes.

I'll never forget the day when I first realized my husband was, in a word, "Mexican."

It was three years after we'd been married, and on July 4, 2005, Independence Day in the United States, sadly and ironically enough: While working in our yard, an unknown vehicle slowly came to a halt in front of our house.

The driver proceeded to ask my husband how much he charged. My husband was wearing dark shades, ragged clothes and a hat that held a long cloth in place to cover his neck. Just by the way he looked, he was dehumanized and his nationality was reduced to a set of unfounded stereotypes.

Before that day, I saw my husband, who moved to the United States in 2002, as an intelligent, hardworking and caring individual. His nationality and cultural roots were pieces of his identity that I found attractive. But that day, I became aware of how Anglo-American society saw him "that way," and it was a deeply painful and angering experience.

Recently, Mexicans marked Mexico's Independence Day, which is celebrated on the eve of Sept. 16 and marks the day in 1810 when Father Miguel Hidalgo and other revolutionaries led an inspired people to revolt against Spanish rule with a simple ring of a bell and a powerful grito de independencia (cry of independence). Since the word Mexican today carries so many labels, I wonder if one of them could be considered revolutionary in the wake of the immigration debate.

But what kind of Mexican is deemed revolutionary? Is it the esteemed and well-educated Mexican national who's offered a corporate position that could have equally been fulfilled by an American? Or should we even consider the Mexican who risks his life to cross the border in hopes of making $50 a day to send home? Or is the Mexican-American who straddles two worlds in hopes of finding balance and mutual acceptance revolutionary enough?

Regardless of definition, I believe that each of these Mexicans is revolutionary, leading a battle against political injustice and discrimination in the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness.

There are too many "quick fixes" thrown around in the immigration debate. Building fences will not speak to the heart of the issue. It will only lead more individuals to their deaths. To find a real solution, authentic communication and empathic understanding for cultural, social, and economic differences and sameness must be explored. Regardless if one person is a Mexican and the other an American, we are both human. We breathe the same air, and we inherently have the same needs to survive on this planet.

Hispanic leaders — such as Rodolfo Neri Vela, the first Mexican astronaut to orbit space on a joint expedition with NASA, and the late Houston restaurateur Ninfa Rodriguez Laurenzo — have positively influenced American culture, furthering technology, diversity and cross-cultural awareness. Lasting immigration policy must get beyond negative stereotypes and work to improve the lives of both Mexicans and Americans.

I hope that one day I won't have to worry about how my son will interpret society's stereotype of him being Mexican-American. My gringa hope is that my son will not experience racism because of the color of his light brown skin or his dark brown eyes; rather I hope he will live a life full of promise and success, not because of his ethnicity, but because of his natural talents and ambitions.

Why don't we take a step today and declare independence from the Mexican stereotype? We should embrace a new definition of a people so passionately led almost 200 years ago that cried out, "¡Viva México!" ("Long live Mexico!"), and all that that entails.

BANANAS

Re: Wed to a Mexican: It's time to end the stereotypes
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 04:16:09 PM »

Why does the word Mexican, or categorizing someone as a Mexican, sound so dirty to some people these days?

On the flip side, why does American, or being an American, sound so heroic, particularly as it relates to the debate about immigration?

When the opportunity presents itself, I proudly mention that my husband is Mexican, and I intentionally wait to observe the facial reactions of disbelief and mild disgust. To many Anglo-Americans, the word "Mexican" elicits images of uneducated, sweaty illegal immigrants sneaking across the borders to fulfill menial tasks or, even worse, violent crimes.

totally subjective, logical fallacy. article disqualified

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 04:48:35 PM »

What about it you do not agree wit?

BANANAS

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 08:36:21 PM »

mexican doesnt equal dirty, american doesnt equal heroic. that is the authors biased opinion in which she is basing the whole article on. case in point, article flawed from the get go

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 09:27:38 PM »

mexican doesnt equal dirty, american doesnt equal heroic. that is the authors biased opinion in which she is basing the whole article on. case in point, article flawed from the get go
Well, I mean obviously those word don't actually mean that, but come on now, lets be real. I live in reality and I know what I see and hear around here and for you to say that a good majority of the population doesn't hold views like that, then your in denial.

BANANAS

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 09:36:19 PM »
NO YOU JUST LIVE AROUND STUPID FUCKING PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO HAVE THW POLAR OPPOSITE OF YOUR NARROW PERSPECTIVE. you'll never get it though, most of the populations iq is lumped into the same area, you're just another fucking moron with different opinion than the morons in your little reality.

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 09:39:01 PM »
NO YOU JUST LIVE AROUND STUPID FUCKING PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO HAVE THW POLAR OPPOSITE OF YOUR NARROW PERSPECTIVE. you'll never get it though, most of the populations iq is lumped into the same area, you're just another fucking moron with different opinion than the morons in your little reality.
Oh please shut the fuck up man for real. I guess the truth does hurt. who the fuck are you captain American. get the fuck out of here and stay in denial. getting all hyped up behind a computer hahaha omg people these days.WOW

BANANAS

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 09:41:13 PM »
look at you chump, trying to drop knowledge sharing your little stupid ass editorials from dumb white bitches thinking theyre special and so cultured. i think i'm living in a more real world than you are. i actually grew up with diversity and distrust for the government cuz i witnessed things like police brutality. youre just a well off little fag who got ahold of a dead prez cd and now he thinks he's fuckin elijah muhammed. get outta here

Smoke Break

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 09:41:44 PM »
I wish I could blame white people for every one of my problems and insecurities.

Oh, and $50 says this bitch is a whale.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 09:47:23 PM »
lmao

BANANAS

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 09:50:08 PM »
i think this bitch is racist and is just thankful someone payed attention to her

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 09:52:25 PM »
look at you chump, trying to drop knowledge sharing your little stupid ass editorials from dumb white bitches thinking theyre special and so cultured. i think i'm living in a more real world than you are. i actually grew up with diversity and distrust for the government cuz i witnessed things like police brutality. youre just a well off little fag who got ahold of a dead prez cd and now he thinks he's fuckin elijah muhammed. get outta here
Would you like a cookie? Don't get mad cuz the truth hurts ::) No your just straight up whack and also I grow in diversity and who the fuck hasn't seen any police brutality in their life time not to even mention now of days. So does that make you special. Go put your face in a pillow and scream in.

BANANAS

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 09:55:03 PM »
just stop it. stop bullshitting me, stop bullshitting the dub, youre just trying to take advantage of younger and dumber cats here by tugging at their heart with your little bullshit tot posts.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 09:57:18 PM »
the point is people who hold stereotypes and prejudices, are ignorant and don't deserve an opinion, and shouldnt be taken seriously...

BANANAS

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 09:58:32 PM »
the point is people who hold stereotypes and prejudices, are ignorant and don't deserve an opinion, and shouldnt be taken seriously...

mos def, and my main thing about this bitch is that she is furthering stereotypes by suggesting to us caucazoids that we all despise Mexicans...