Author Topic: Dont forget to watch VH1's hiphop honors!  (Read 419 times)

Tay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Bay Area Representative
Re: Dont forget to watch VH1's hiphop honors!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 07:03:51 PM »
I agree with above, Missy should get honored, but in like 2012, not 2007. There's still Common (though not now) Dr. Dre, and since they always have a female, what about Lauryn Hill or Queen Latifah above Missy. Well my fiance got a kick of see Missy, so it might have served it's purpose for ratings. Whoodie, it's about time, Snoop, maybe after his next album but it's almost time, ATCQ, much deserve, the New Jack Swing Movement of course was sooner or later, the Wild Style movie has to be honored, surprise it took so long.

Side notes on performances, Keysha Cole, how can you not know Michael Jackson, Ne-Yo ripped every New Jack Swing R&B track they threw at him, T-Pain needed his voice box, even my fiance was not enjoying that and she loves T-Pain. Great choices for ATCQ, I wished Kanye was there to talk shit about not being honored, a great set with Snoop and Ice T doing Gin and Juice was CLASSIC. I was hoping Bow Wow would have done What's My Name by himself, and Snoop would do some other song, but I've been to enough concerts to know that What's My Name is the song that he ends his set, and it's got to be his. (unless he has a huge hit at the time, like the last time I saw him he did Drop It Like It's Hot last). Pharrell was for Snoop and ATCQ, and he did fairly well. SOMEONE GET THE BEER AWAY FROM BUSTA!!! He was nuts and got that beer gut... dayme. Kool Moe Dee got fat, but it's all good, LL look like he'd crush him as he still cut as fuck. Again, I wish Kanye was there talking about his award... that would have been great.  8)
That is pretty much the whole show in two paragraphs lol...Definitely right about T-Pain, dude is nothin without the effects but with them he makes hits while Ne-Yo was on point. Lauryn Hill deserves it, but thats how it goes i guess
I got a bird's eye view

westsiderider323

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 07:23:51 PM »
whodini and new jack swing wuz dope
so wuz snoop

Quadruple OG

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
Dr. Dre can make room in his schedule to attend a shitty award show to present an award to Rhianna, however he cannot make room in his schedule to attend at ANY of the Hip-Hop Honors that honored people that helped make Dre's career (Eazy, Cube, and Snoop).  BIG SMH @ Dre.

As far as the whole Missy thing, I'm pissed at the revisionist history that was portrayed when talking about her intro to the game.  They forgot to mention that she was discovered and put on by Jodeci and that she and Timbo JACKED Devante's style of production and turned it into their own.  Not to mention the fact they decide to honor a genre yet not even mention Jodeci or cover one of their classics (although then again, I wouldn't want T-Pain to cover one of my songs live either).

As far as the HHA's are concerned, if they honor Missy, Scarface HAS TO BE honored.  Scarface has had way more influence on the rap game as a whole than Missy.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 07:55:18 PM »
maybe Jodeci will be Honored next year...im pretty sure of it...

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 08:03:22 PM »
Overall it was a pretty good show.  Whodini completely killed it, doin the Wop and the whole nine.  ATCQ did great as well - but did anyone catch a good look at Phife?  He looked sickly as fuck.  I'm pretty sure he's diabetic, but he looked terrible.  He reminded me of J Dilla right before he passed...And damn, Busta was HYPED.

Cats like Nelly and TI whom I really don't like even came off well in their tributes.  

The thing that is blatantly obvious is how the talent today (particularly the Hip Hop talent) don't hold a candle to the generation above them.  I mean when the top artists that they think are carrying on the torch are Bow Wow, Nelly, and TI, there's problems.

And I really loved the New Jack Swing tribute.  I immediately started DL'n Keith Sweat, Johnny Gill, Guy, Bobby Brown an all that.  

I wish they would have had a live band like prior years, I love that shit, specially w/ ?uestlove on the drums.

I also think it was extremely random to have had Missy on there already, but I guess they were trying to reel in some younger viewers.

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 08:19:27 PM »
Phife did look awfully skinny... I hope he's ok. It was also nice of them to have Jarobi with them even though he never played a visible part of the group....
SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 09:19:45 PM »
maybe Jodeci will be Honored next year...im pretty sure of it...

I doubt it. If it's not rap, they usually do the whole movement. Jodeci was part of the New Jack Swing Era, so that's them. They might have not opted to come, so VH1 ignored them. Besides, they focused mainly on Teddy Riley, so you know. Teddy deserves a spot no question just for his production. Jodeci might get a spot if they open up to more R&B type Hip-Hop, but I question that will happen. Besides, I'd rather have Jodeci ignored rather than have T-Pain sing Come and Talk to Me.

E. J. Rizo

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 09:21:58 PM »
yo those snoop tributes were the shit... classic shit

Mr.Smurf

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • M.M.A.C.
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 09:24:16 PM »
Damn, watchin it now. Thanks for that upload. BTW , anybody got any of the other preformances from this year? I'm also looking for some of the ones from last year.

Ozir

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside!
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 09:50:21 PM »
T.I. was really reppin' hard  8)

And I agree... Battlecat ripped the 1's and 2's  8)

It was a dope Snoop tribute.

thisoneguy360

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 10:22:04 PM »
Fuck Snoop where's the real hip hop like D4L and Soulja Boy?