Author Topic: Junkyard concept, brought here  (Read 53 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Junkyard concept, brought here
« on: October 10, 2007, 08:16:16 PM »
As people know I use to write the Junkyard at WC Killaz, and here at DubCNN, but of course life is busy since I graduated college, and the time for that has gone down greatly. But one concept I had was the Hip-Hop is Dead Articles, which would start with different parts of how Hip-Hop has changed from the regional block parties in New York, to going global, to coming full circle thanks to the digital age. Not sure who'd want to read it... lol. So I have decided to break up the different era's of Hip-Hop, and see what people think of how I divide up Hip-Hop through the years. This is very key to how I explain Hip-Hop's growth, and how it's going to it's current stage. So I'd like to introduce how I divide up the Hip-Hop Era's, and what not, starting with the Ol' Skool.

The Dawn of Hip-Hop
(1972?-1979)
This was the Era that Hip-Hop grew out of, everything was coming together. DJing was being perfected, rappers were spitting poetry. I wouldn't get too much into it, as so much has been paid attention in doctumentries. I might hit on it somewhat, as it is important to know where Hip-Hop has been to see where it is going.

Ol' Skool
(1979-1986)
Once Sugar Hill Gang hit the radio with Rapper's Delight it was one and poppin'. The Cold Crush got jerked, but they made up for it staring in Wild Style. Hip-Hop was not having growing pains, Hip-Hop was here. This was the Era that Hip-Hop come from the streets of New York and introduced itself to the world.

Main Playaz:
The Cold Crush Brothers
Run DMC
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5 with Melle Mel
Kurtis Blow
Whoodine
Busy B
The Fat Boys

The Era's best rapper (skill wise): Melle Mel
The Era's King (influence wiise): Run DMC

The Goldyn Era
(1986-1992)
Like the Ol' Skool Era with Rapper's Delight, this era was started with one song, Eric B. for President by Eric B. and Rakim. Rakim's great rhyming skillz had never been seen, and it was not long that people caught on to the slow flow with complex rhyme schemes. On top of that, the famous Bridge Wars kicked off between Boogie Down Production and the Juice Crew. Out west, gangsta rap was taking form proving that Hip-Hop was now going national.

Key Playaz:
Eric B. & Rakim
Boogie Down Production
LL Cool J
N.W.A.
Ice T
Big Daddy Kane
Kool G Rap
Slick Rick
DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince

The Era's best rapper: Rakim
The Era's King: Rakim

The Gangsta Rap Era:
(1992-1997)
Unlike the Ol' Skool and Goldyn Age, this era started with an event. On April 29th, LA exploded into fire as people feed up with police brutality finally express themselves. Ice Cube, who was the main rapper for NWA, went solo, and his albums were like play by play of the events before, during and after the riots. America's eyes head west, but with it came resentment from the east, and backlash from the media. Also, the south was starting to come to it's own, and it ended with a rivarly between east and west.

Key Playaz:
Ice Cube
Dr. Dre
Snoop Doggy Dogg
2Pac
Notorious B.I.G.
Wu Tang Clan
The Fugees
The Geto Boyz and Scarface
Outkast
Common

Era's best rapper: 2Pac
Era's King: Ice Cube

The Bling Era
(1997-2004?)
Can't quite pin point when this era ended, but one thing is for sure, it's over now. When 2Pac and Biggie died in gun violence in late 96,early 97, people began to question the Gangsta Rap Era's focus on anger, frustration and violence. So along came the bling era, which brought Hip-Hop back to the party music, along the way swagga finally came center stage, and artist like Jay-Z and Nelly showed us how to have fun again.

Key Playaz:
Jay-Z
Nas
Outkast
Nelly
Eminem
Xzibit
Snoop Dogg
Will Smith
Puff Daddy/P. Diddy
DMX

Era's Best Rapper: Nas
Era's King: Jay-Z

The Current Era:
(2004?-present)
Not sure what this era is called, but there are two things, it's ushering the digital age, and the south is running things.

Hey Ma

Re: Junkyard concept, brought here
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 11:21:59 PM »
awesome job man! i'm partial to the golden era and the gangsta rap era (i hate most new gangsta rap and pseudo golden era mc's)