Author Topic: New Eve interview (speaks on the pushback, Aftermath and Dre)  (Read 276 times)

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
New Eve interview (speaks on the pushback, Aftermath and Dre)
« on: October 11, 2007, 11:42:57 AM »
With her new record set to release some time next year (fingers crossed), Eve sounds off on being one of the only female rappers left in the game and why she just can't call Fergie or Gwen Stefani hip-hop
EVE ''I'd rather put out an album and feel 100 percent connected to it than just to put out an album, especially the way music is right now''
Eve: Tina Paul / Camera Press / Retna
All About
Eve
By Margeaux Watson

From 1999 to 2002, Eve was on a roll. One of hip-hop's most bankable female MCs, her first three albums sold 4 million copies and spawned five Top 40 hits, including well-received collaborations with Gwen Stefani (''Let Me Blow Ya Mind'') and Alicia Keys (''Gangsta Lovin'''). But after a four-year detour into TV, film, and fashion, the Grammy winner has run into some snags while trying to revive her music career. Her forthcoming CD, Here I Am, was initially due in August but has now been delayed until 2008. Meanwhile, her first two singles off the record have struggled to connect with listeners: ''Tambourine'' peaked at No. 10 on Billboard's Hot Rap Tracks chart on July 14, while its follow-up, ''Give It to You,'' hadn't charted at press time. But despite those setbacks, Eve, 28, tells EW she's still got more skills than a lot of male MC's tallying up record sales in the ''testosterone-driven'' rap game, and that she's going to wait until she's 100 percent confident in her new CD before she lets it drop.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: What's going on here? Why so many delays with this album? Are you scrapping the whole thing and starting over?
EVE: No, I'm not completely starting over. I'm definitely gonna keep some of the records that I had because I love a lot of the stuff that I did. So I'm keeping a lot of it. I'm just going back in to kinda make it a well-rounded album. I think what kind of delayed us this time was that I went in and did two records that sound a lot like the Pharrell record — the singing record.... I don't think the movement was right and I'd rather put out an album and feel 100 percent connected to it than just to put out an album, especially the way music is right now.

What do you mean by saying you put out two records that sound like Pharrell? Are you going in a different direction with the new music you're recording for the album?
Not really a different direction, but more of that direction. I don't even know what you would generalize it or call it.

More pop?
I guess you can call it that, but I don't know because it's hard to kinda say that too, because some of the records that I'm keeping, like the rap records, are on that level, so it's kinda hard to say in any way.... I felt like it just wasn't a cohesive record. I felt like I needed to go back in and just make everything match.

Are you happy with the way that ''Tambourine'' and the Sean Paul single [Give It To You] performed?
Oh, I loved it. I think [they] did great. I think, honestly, although the Sean Paul record didn't get as big as we would like it to, the initial response to it was great. So I think that helps. ''Tambourine'' absolutely got the sickest response, so I'm happy with that.

Has it been difficult for you to remount your musical career after being sucked into a TV show and a clothing line for three years?
No, it actually hasn't been that bad. I mean, the response that I've been getting mostly from people is, ''We're happy you're back in music. I'm happy you're back in music.'' But I can't front and not say that there is a new movement of music the way a lot of the music is right now. But no, I think I've been received pretty well. And especially at radio stations and stuff like that, I'm really happy for just the love that I've been getting, the support that I've been getting from radio stations and TV stations that are like, ''Yo, we wanna help you out with this record.'' So that's a good thing.

Speaking of a new musical movement, how do you feel about re-entering a musical landscape that's getting overloaded with female vocalists in an era with virtually no successful female rappers?
In some ways, it's hard. But in other ways, it almost is like I kinda feel like it was when I first came out. Even though there were two females that were in the forefront, but at the same time, there was nobody I felt, in my opinion, like me that came out, so I feel like I'm starting all over. I feel like a new artist again.

What particular challenges have you faced in getting this album off the ground?
It's a lot. It's different. There was a time when you could put out a single and then put your record out five weeks after and you knew if the single did well at radio that told you how your album was gonna do. Nowadays, a single could play for weeks and weeks and weeks on the radio, it could be the biggest single, and the album sales don't match up. So, you know, it's a different format, and I don't even think that anybody has the formula to it now. So it's totally different. You definitely have to go about it a different way. You definitely have to take your time and think and come up with a good strategy, and that aspect is really different.

Has the success of artists like Fergie and Gwen Stefani made it harder for female rappers because they've come in and created a new, pop-friendly mix of pop, hip-hop, and R&B sounds?
I think what makes that hard for us is that they're not hip-hop, period. I'll never, ever be able to give Fergie or Gwen that title. I love them. I think they're dope. I think they make good music. But they're not hip-hop. They emulate hip-hop in certain things that they do, but they're not hip-hop. And I think that hurts hip-hop in a way because it's confusing the lines. I also must admit that hip-hop is the new pop. Like hip-hop five years ago, Soulja Boy couldn't get played on the same station that Fergie was playing on or that the Black Eyed Peas were playing on or that Justin was playing on. Or Justin couldn't be on an urban station five years ago. But now, all the lines have blurred. But at the same time, calling Fergie and Gwen hip-hop hurts females, I think. It hurts the female MCs.

NEXT PAGE: I think I'm better than half these dudes that's out. Some of these dudes can't rap. And I hate to say it like that. [Laughs]

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Is hip-hop still your first love? Your life has come so far from the experiences you talked about on your earlier albums.
EVE: Well, I had to talk about what I knew about at that time. When I came out, that's what I lived every single day. I lived a certain kind of life. Hip-hop will always be me. Without hip-hop, I wouldn't be who I am. It made me. My stake is strong in hip-hop. I'm still an MC, but I have to talk about and be who I am as I grow as a person. I'd be frontin' if I was like, ''Yeah, I was doing this on the block.'' I live in Hollywood, you know what I'm saying? I got an apartment in New York. Like, I don't live that kind of life so I can only talk about what I know about.

You already talked about this a little bit when you were talking about Gwen and Fergie, but I want to go back to it: How tough is it to be a female rapper in today's musical climate? Is it tougher than when you released your first album? When/what was the turning point?
I don't think it's hard. I don't look at it as hard 'cause I think I'm better than half these dudes that's out. Some of these dudes can't rap. And I hate to say it like that. [Laughs]

That's true, but those dudes' albums are getting off the ground and achieving success.
I know. That's definitely because it's testosterone-driven. It's testosterone-driven. But I don't think it's hard. I don't look at it in that aspect of it. What was the second part of the question?

When/what was the turning point for female rappers when their popularity started waning?
I don't know. Honestly, I can't really say there was a specific time. I think it just happened and I don't think that anybody paid attention to it until, like, right now where you look up and it's like, ''Oh, s---! Where are all the females at?'' I think it just kinda happened.

Is your album still being released on Dr. Dre's Aftermath label?
I can't say. Geffen will [definitely] be attached to it.

Does that have anything to do with the delays?
No. I can honestly say, I know a lot of people have a lot to say about Dre and waiting on Dre, but I can honestly say this has nothing to do with Dre.

When and why did you change management? Did that cause more delays with the album?
Yes, I have new management now, which that had a little bit to do with it, but I also won't blame it on my management either.

Why did you change management and how did that affect the delay?
It was just time. It was a hard decision. We've been together almost 10 years. But it was one of things I felt like I needed to do for myself. I felt like I needed a change. I was on a new path in my brain. It was just something that I needed to do. And I'm sure it affected certain things and the pushing back of certain things. But like I said, I don't want to blame it all on that either.

So what's the latest release date for the album?
Some time next year. I know [Laughs]. It's like I've been trying to push this baby out for a year, okay! Trust me, it is really crazy. It's the longest labor on earth! But honestly, I feel okay about it. It'll be some time next year.

But you don't know when next year? Not even the month?
No. I don't wanna even give out any more dates. I'm kinda scared. [Laughs] I'm scared of giving out dates. I'm gonna just wait.

Rebel

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Every man dies...but not everyman really lives"
Re: New Eve interview (speaks on the pushback, Aftermath and Dre)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 08:46:14 PM »
Thanks

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 08:53:14 PM »
LOL, her shit got pushed back because those wack ass fucking singles weren't garnering the buzz they thought they should.  Is she on Interscope?  Who's fucking dick is Swizz sucking to keep getting the green light to be the producer on these lead singles?  His shit is fucking terrible.

I seriously laugh my ass off when Interscope keeps going forward with this retarded ass approach to music and they keep failing over and over and over and they can't quite figure out why.  God damn I can't wait till they go bankrupt.

Matty

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 12:37:26 AM »
yeah right its all about strategy. the strategy is release your hottest single and drop the album when the artists hype is at its peak. thats how its always been, its just now your music has be really fresh (generally meaning produced by timbaland/danja) to have a good public reaction and sell a decent amount of records. eve is stupid for pretending that waiting to release the album possibly another 6-12 months after a full single and video is promoted is in any way strategic...not her decision and a bad one at that...busta rhymes anyone?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 12:42:23 AM by Matty »

Blu Lacez

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 02:59:05 AM »
But now, all the lines have blurred. But at the same time, calling Fergie and Gwen hip-hop hurts females, I think. It hurts the female MCs.

Co-sign!!!!!

Dargine

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Main Underground Stream
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 10:04:03 AM »

Let's hope not.. I don't think Eve does the typa records that Aftermath should release.. 'specially not with this album with the way she's talkin' 'bout it now. Seems like it's gonna be a Swizz Beats album rather then a Dr. Dre album if you know what I mean.
http://TheMUSblog.blogspot.com

Everything about The D.O.C, Obie Trice, The Notorious B.I.G, Young Buck, Eminem, Pipe da Snipe, Devin the Dude, Six Street Mac, Dr. Dre, B.G. Knocc Out, YG Hootie, 50 Cent, Nate Dogg, 4-Bent & Black Rob.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 11:15:40 AM »

Let's hope not.. I don't think Eve does the typa records that Aftermath should release.. 'specially not with this album with the way she's talkin' 'bout it now. Seems like it's gonna be a Swizz Beats album rather then a Dr. Dre album if you know what I mean.
yeah i hope it's not going to be released on aftermath either, but she's probably just signed to aftermath(not sure why, maybe she washes the dishes or something like that) and her album will be released through Geffen( not interscope).
and the dre beat will probably be some poppy beat, like the ones on her last two albums ( with the exception of that's what it is, that's a good non pop dre/scott production. there was another dre beat on her last album that wasn't poppy either, but it wasn't as good as the other exception i mentioned).
but Geffen is not really different than interscope, so the album get's pushed back for similar reasons as the rap albums on interscope(but i don't care for eve's album, since it's not the kind of album i want to hear).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 11:23:15 AM by Dre-Day »

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 11:40:04 AM »
But now, all the lines have blurred. But at the same time, calling Fergie and Gwen hip-hop hurts females, I think. It hurts the female MCs.

Co-sign!!!!!

yep