Author Topic: Another Hip hop paper thread  (Read 221 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Another Hip hop paper thread
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2007, 05:03:22 PM »
There's another important point I want to touch on that nobody else has mentioned, and that is the socio-economical condition of black people in America.

Mos Def said it best when he said, "people want to know what's up with hip-hop, well they should ask what's up with us (black people)"... he continued, "people talk like hip-hop is some giant over the hillside, but hip-hop is us, so if you want to know how hip-hop is doing ask how we are doing."

Well, lets take a look at black people then, and the socio-economical conditions that gave birth to hip-hop.

Hip-Hop was a product of the socio-economical conditions of the 70's and brooklyn mayor Robert Moses pet project of biulding a railway that uprooted thousands of blacks from there homes.  And like hunter gathering natives they picked up and created something out of nothing and the Zulu Crew was a gang that used hiphop as a vehicle for biulding the self-esteem of black people.

Well, flash forward to today.  Black people  are about 4 decades past the Malcolm X revolutionary era.  And now they have entered what I like to call a therapuetic phase, where the focus is on self-gain rather than a set of existential obligations.

The entitlement, welfare, afirmative action programs, and also the sincere efforts of economic upliftment amongst blacks themselves, have elevated the position of black people in this country, and they also have more money than they've ever had. 

Therefore, to put it simply black people aren't as cool as they used to be.  They are no longer engaged in a widespread righteous rebellion, or even destructive rebellion (such as gangsta rap) that made them so compelling.  The issues facing America today, such as the patriot act or bushs so-called war on terrorism, hiphop has been mostly silent on, especially in the mainstream ofcourse.  Why is this, cause hiphop is only a reflection of the mentality of people in the innercities of America.... and most of them don't give a fuck about anything anymore but being a hustler and strikin a baller pose.

Let me put it simply, black people aint as cool as they used to be. 
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Al Bundy

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2007, 06:40:41 PM »
Therefore, to put it simply black people aren't as cool as they used to be. 

Twice you put that bullshit. Are you the judge of the cool people? Your statements are always ignorant.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 12:29:13 PM »
Therefore, to put it simply black people aren't as cool as they used to be. 

Twice you put that bullshit. Are you the judge of the cool people? Your statements are always ignorant.

Bundy you're the homey, but what abdul just said is completely true. If you're really going to boil what he just said down to those two statements, it is you who are being ignorant.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 12:31:13 PM »

Bundy you're the homey, but what abdul just said is completely true. If you're really going to boil what he just said down to those two statements, it is you who are being ignorant.

-T

Props to Tanjit for keeping it real.  I never insisted on anyone agreeing with everything that I have said, I was just writing my perspective on the issue and anyone else is free to offer their own unique perspective if they like.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 12:54:54 PM »
Allow me to elaborate, it was just before lunch when I made that last post and I was a little snarky.

Bundy, I agree that perhaps phrasing it like 'black people aren't cool anymore' is not the best way to phrase it. But the rest of the post (the backing behind the statement) was pretty much accurate and if you just looked at the 'black people aren't cool anymore' statement and not the rest of the post and judged it off of that alone, you're missing alot.

But basically yeah, black people socioeconomically speaking are not where they were when hip hop was younger so it's quite different .

BUT to me that doesn't say much about the quality, which is why I didn't bring it up....intelligent art comes from rich and poor areas you dig?

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram