Author Topic: Nas just ethered FOX news, Jesse Jackson and the NAACP (new album title!)  (Read 1106 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Nas just ethered FOX news, Jesse Jackson and the NAACP (new album title!)
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 07:46:26 PM »
I feel you, but the problem isn't just with the word - its the intent behind it. When someone calls someone else a nigger, its because they have the hateful feelings inside that make them use that word. It's less about the word itself and more about the audacity of the person to use it to express what they think. They know its hurtful - that's why they use it.

That's why even if there was a new word made up it would still have the same stigma and the same shit would happen - because its meant to hurt; its meant to be offensive. If someone is berating you then its human nature to be offended. Being able to let go the ignorance of others helps, though.

But it is more than just the intent. If some reporter asked Justin Timberlake what he thinks of Timbaland and JT responds with "yo, that's my nigga right there" it'll make national headlines and black group everywhere would be calling for an apology.

LOL, that could happen. JT seems a little confused on his race these days  8)

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 07:52:15 PM »
I feel you, but the problem isn't just with the word - its the intent behind it. When someone calls someone else a nigger, its because they have the hateful feelings inside that make them use that word. It's less about the word itself and more about the audacity of the person to use it to express what they think. They know its hurtful - that's why they use it.

That's why even if there was a new word made up it would still have the same stigma and the same shit would happen - because its meant to hurt; its meant to be offensive. If someone is berating you then its human nature to be offended. Being able to let go the ignorance of others helps, though.

But it is more than just the intent. If some reporter asked Justin Timberlake what he thinks of Timbaland and JT responds with "yo, that's my nigga right there" it'll make national headlines and black group everywhere would be calling for an apology.

I never said that it was just the intent, I said that it wasn't just the word, but also the intent.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 10:08:42 PM »
This is why Nas is one of the real leaders in Hip Hop.  He can think for himself, he's not worried about what ignorant people say about his shit without first discussing it with him.  He understands that black people give power to the word "nigger", and the best way to get beyond that racism is to disarm that figure of speech.  Brilliant shit.

He said so much real shit in there.  Talkin about how his daughter could put out better music than these cats on the radio.  I agree with his perspective.

For the most part, I love Nas' work w/ Salaam Remi.  DJ Toomp can bring some dope shit as well, I'd check it.  Hopefully we'll get a little bit of Large Pro and L.E.S.

I really hope this drops in December, maybe my most anticipated of the year.  He's way ahead of the curve on his thought process and perception of the game.  Cats can't even grasp what he's saying cuz it's over their head.

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 10:10:14 PM »
COURTESY ON TOP, LA REID, AND JAY HOVA.

LOL.  Nas frontin like he aint doin nuttin wrong, Def Jam gonna shit on him for this one.

WestCoasta

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 01:35:07 AM »
You see how white boys ain't mad at 'cracker' 'cause it don't have the same [sting] as 'nigger'? I want 'nigger' to have less meaning [than] 'cracker.'

god damnit that makes sense

at first I thought the title was lame but I see where he's coming from...

red

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 03:30:51 AM »
"Nigger was the title of Dick Gregory’s autobiography, it’s sad that this is even a conversation." - Jay Smooth

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 03:43:35 AM »
I WILL COP THAT SHIT

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 07:30:06 AM »

I never said that it was just the intent, I said that it wasn't just the word, but also the intent.

And I'm saying that these days it's the word more than the intent. Just repeating the word gets some black people going.

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 08:32:16 AM »
What a lot of shit, he's simply just trying to sell a couple more records by giving the album a controversial title. I don't believe there's any deep meaning behind it at all.

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 09:24:29 AM »

And I'm saying that these days it's the word more than the intent. Just repeating the word gets some black people going.

???

I never quantified which part of the word "nigger" hurt more. Since there's no way to actually do so, I'd assume we're on the same page here, right?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 10:15:09 AM »

???

I never quantified which part of the word "nigger" hurt more. Since there's no way to actually do so, I'd assume we're on the same page here, right?

I think we are. Let me explain. A word like dimwit on it's own means nothing. Saying the word to yourself wouldn't get a reaction by people that hear you say it. Saying the word nigger will. But calling someone a dimwit with a rude tone is a great insult. If you're at work and you mess something up snd your boss says "what a dimwit!" it's offensive.

"Nigger" isn't the only word of it's type. Modern soociety has put words that generallly refer only to a certain group on an untouchable pedestal, Fag, retard, wetback, chink, kike. "Nigger" gets more reaction in the media because of lobbies that aren't present in other races. The word can't be repeated. A pundit can't say "he was called a nigger by a bunch of racists" on the news. Saying that same phrase with wop or wetback would be more acceptable and not create such a backlash. Blacks have been conditioned to view the word itself as evil and offensive and the very idea of it coming out of a non-black mouth is very taboo. And that is where the power lies.

westkoastanostra

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 11:01:30 AM »
wasnt that supposed to be the title of hip hop is dead album?

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 12:09:52 PM »
^ nah it was "The N..."

@ Shallow - yeah i agree, i already got what you were saying  ;D

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 06:18:09 PM »
What a lot of shit, he's simply just trying to sell a couple more records by giving the album a controversial title. I don't believe there's any deep meaning behind it at all.

Then you haven't been paying attention.

~Lucien~

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2007, 06:26:08 PM »
LOL!!!!!!

"what album are you looking for sir?"

"NIGGER!"

;D