Author Topic: Question about Kool Herc and the beginning of Hip Hop  (Read 169 times)

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Question about Kool Herc and the beginning of Hip Hop
« on: October 20, 2007, 05:11:26 AM »
I allways thought that the beginning of Hip Hop was when Kool Herc began DJ'ing and using 2 turntables and all that.. But I was just watching this video on YouTube where Kool Herc says that before he was DJ'ing he was doing graffiti, so Hip Hop actually started before Kool Herc? Or atleast graffiting did, unless Herc was the first person to do that.. As we all know graffiti is one of the elements..

Dargine

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Main Underground Stream
Re: Question about Kool Herc and the beginning of Hip Hop
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 07:10:41 AM »
HipHop actually started a few hundred years ago in Africa.. when messagers brought their messages from point A to point B and to remember the messages easier they made it so it rhymes and they made beats with drums and then they rapped their messages for the receiver so he would pay attention to it.
http://TheMUSblog.blogspot.com

Everything about The D.O.C, Obie Trice, The Notorious B.I.G, Young Buck, Eminem, Pipe da Snipe, Devin the Dude, Six Street Mac, Dr. Dre, B.G. Knocc Out, YG Hootie, 50 Cent, Nate Dogg, 4-Bent & Black Rob.

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 07:12:36 AM »
HipHop actually started a few hundred years ago in Africa.. when messagers brought their messages from point A to point B and to remember the messages easier they made it so it rhymes and they made beats with drums and then they rapped their messages for the receiver so he would pay attention to it.

Hehe aight.. But I'm looking for when it really started in the usa..

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 08:20:21 AM »
Graf was around before the DJ'ing aspect of Hip Hop. It wasn't a Hip Hop culture per say, but it was definitely a New York culture. In Herc's time there wasn't the intricate "piecing" going on... The majority of it was kids writing on the inside and outside of subways and buses.
SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 05:37:57 AM »
Graf was around before the DJ'ing aspect of Hip Hop. It wasn't a Hip Hop culture per say, but it was definitely a New York culture. In Herc's time there wasn't the intricate "piecing" going on... The majority of it was kids writing on the inside and outside of subways and buses.
Thanks for the info, that helped :)