Author Topic: "You'll Never Walk Alone": Celtic/Liverpool  (Read 320 times)

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
"You'll Never Walk Alone": Celtic/Liverpool
« on: October 23, 2007, 03:15:50 PM »
My friend and I discussed this today.
Who "had" this song first ?

kemizt

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
Re: "You'll Never Walk Alone": Celtic/Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 04:55:36 PM »
The facts say Liverpool.

I was always told the opposite but I believe they had it first.

Quote from a Guardian article:

Liverpool or Celtic: who Walked Alone first?

Living in an area with a large contingent of Liverpool fans, writes Damian, who lives in Chester should you be wondering, I'm constantly being drawn into debates about who sang You'll Never Walk Alone first. I've failed to come up with evidence to support my belief that it was the Celtic faithful. I'd appreciate any information which serves to conclude this dispute once and for all.

While many Celtic fan-based websites provide the words to You'll Never Walk Alone, and it features on the CD Green & White Anthems, there is no historical evidence that Celtic fans sang it on their terraces first. Instead, a cursory glance back in time shows that Liverpool have the much stronger claims.

After all, the song, originally written by Rodgers and Hammerstein in 1945 for the Broadway musical Carousel, only became a terrace favourite after it was covered by Gerry and the Pacemakers in November 1963. Almost immediately - as footage from Panorama in 1964 shows - Liverpool supporters adopted it.

As Paul Fields points out: "Before the early 60s football fans made noise and occasionally chanted something brief (like Play Up Pompey!) but it was the Kop that started singing popular songs of the day (mainly Merseybeat songs such as Gerry and the Pacemakers' You'll Never Walk Alone) and later started to adapt the lyrics of songs to celebrate the team and its players.

"If any Celtic fans still claim that they sang it first, it would have to predate Gerry's version. Now can you really see thousands of working class Glaswegians in the 50s/early 60s spontaneously joining in a sing-along from a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical?" No, us neither.
NO MORE WAR

Sweet & Tender Hooligan

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 06:56:15 PM »
Aye it was Liverpool who had it first, but i dont think there is any animosity toward Celtic fans for singing it. IMO YNWA at Parkhead > > > > YNWA at Anfield. IM pretty sure Borussia Dortmund might sing it as well, or Shalke 04 maybe.

BUt seeing as LIverpool borrowed "Fields of Athenrye" or "Fields of Anfield Road" as they sing it, its even.

The Maestro

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 12:28:29 AM »
Props to the both of u.
Damnit, I lost :P

kemizt

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 02:46:22 AM »
Props to the both of u.

We do sing it better tho. ;D
NO MORE WAR

es-jay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 05:00:43 AM »
Props to the both of u.

Rangers?

WOAH, you're lucky this is the internet...

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 05:04:34 AM »
Props to the both of u.

Rangers?

WOAH, you're lucky this is the internet...

Hahaha,+1 man. My bad. I'm at Uni writing my paper and so swamped right now I can't think straight. I just saw Mac's pic of Donati in a blue shirt and "Rangers" popped up in my head.
Props to Mac also. My deepest apologize ;)

kemizt

bez

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 08:12:07 AM »
horrible song :)

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 03:46:20 PM »
Sunderland fans were singing it at old trafford earlier in the season. Not sure if they have adopted it or were just trying to wind us up.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

bez

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 06:11:22 AM »
Sunderland fans were singing it at old trafford earlier in the season. Not sure if they have adopted it or were just trying to wind us up.

wind up

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 03:53:30 PM »

wind up

dissapointed keane hasnt stamped that out of them lol

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson