Author Topic: Abdul-Infinite- I'm Coming To You Live From The Motherland, West Africa....!  (Read 1802 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Just some random notes on Senegal and Gambia, for my own remembrance and in case any of ya'll might find them interesting.......

-The people here love Farakhan. Farakhan visits here every once in a while, and he's welcomed by everyone from the President and heads of government to the poorest man on the streets... they all love him.  They don't see him as being a leader of some small, isolated "sect" of Islam in America.  They see him as an international figure.  They view him as an orthodox, universal Muslim brother..  They love him for bringing so many people to Islam in America, and they love him for teaching American's about their righteous African history.  Some of them said they even cried listening to him talk when he came here.

-Africa moves with it's own time.  You can't insist on anything here.  Like for example, it would be very difficult for someone to have a daily schedule of appointments and insist on themselves or others being on time.  There's many reasons for this.  The traffic is bad.  People don't have their own cars, and even when you take taxi's, you take group taxi's with other people.  People don't rush here, they play it cool, and even when you go somewhere or ask for something... nobody ever says, "5 minutes"... or "I'll be there in 10 minutes"... they just say... "coming soon".  This can be annoying, but it also teaches you to be patient and play it cool.  Also, they have problems with power going out here, and other things that can disrupt your plans throughout the day, all the little things add up...... They call it "African time".

-The Rasta/Reggae culture in Gambia reminds me of the Five Percent Nation of Islam/Hip-Hop culture in America.  It's kind of underground, rebellious, it's very anti-imperialism, and righteous, and hip and has it's own language and philosophy that is more about feeling it and interacting with others rather than existing in a Text.    ....I want to write much more on this later.

-Unlike African American black people who can at times be paranoid and suspicious, the Africans are very open and unsuspecting people.  They don't interrogate and ask alot of questions of people.  They want to get to know who people are, and may even want something from you, but they aren't interested so much in where you work, where you go to school, who you hang out with, what you do in private.... and so on. 

-Africans love music ofcourse.  But many of them have beat up stereo's, and somehow it's like they all end up playing the same song over and over, no matter who's car your in or what taxi you take.  It's funny, this one dude's car who was driving me upcountry had a tape player that would stop about halfway through the second song on any tape he would play... so he just came playing the same two songs over and over all day.  And then, somehow I end up hearing the same songs everywhere I go.  One Reggae artist named Mogon (I think) I keep hearing his track it says something like.. "The Day Will Come" and that song is banging, and somehow I keep ending up hearing Lucky Dube "Prisoner" wherever I go.

-The Rasta's like to say that, "The Only Problem In Gambia Is No Problem"... but you here others say.. "the only problem in Gambia is money".. and others say... "As long as you have money Gambia is a good place".  Well... there is reason for all this.  When you have disparities in wealth, that contributes to what gives the country both it's good and bad qualities.  Because the poor people are willing to go above and beyond to satisfy people and provide goods and services just to get a few dollars... so the people with money end up benefitting in this way.

... more later... I'm upset I'm forgetting stuff, because I haven't been able to write things down or record them in my phone like I wanted to... cause I've yet to find a converter that works in the outlets here to charge my sidekick.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 10:26:49 AM by Abdul-Infinite Presents...Islam In Africa... »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
Just some random notes on Senegal and Gambia, for my own remembrance and in case any of ya'll might find them interesting.......

-The people here love Farakhan. Farakhan visits here every once in a while, and he's welcomed by everyone from the President and heads of government to the poorest man on the streets... they all love him.  They don't see him as being a leader of some small, isolated "sect" of Islam in America.  They see him as an international figure.  They view him as an orthodox, universal Muslim brother..  They love him for bringing so many people to Islam in America, and they love him for teaching American's about their righteous African history.  Some of them said they even cried listening to him talk when he came here.

-Africa moves with it's own time.  You can't insist on anything here.  Like for example, it would be very difficult for someone to have a daily schedule of appointments and insist on themselves or others being on time.  There's many reasons for this.  The traffic is bad.  People don't have their own cars, and even when you take taxi's, you take group taxi's with other people.  People don't rush here, they play it cool, and even when you go somewhere or ask for something... nobody ever says, "5 minutes"... or "I'll be there in 10 minutes"... they just say... "coming soon".  This can be annoying, but it also teaches you to be patient and play it cool.  Also, they have problems with power going out here, and other things that can disrupt your plans throughout the day, all the little things add up...... They call it "African time".

-The Rasta/Reggae culture in Gambia reminds me of the Five Percent Nation of Islam/Hip-Hop culture in America.  It's kind of underground, rebellious, it's very anti-imperialism, and righteous, and hip and has it's own language and philosophy that is more about feeling it and interacting with others rather than existing in a Text.    ....I want to write much more on this later.

-Unlike African American black people who can at times be paranoid and suspicious, the Africans are very open and unsuspecting people.  They don't interrogate and ask alot of questions of people.  They want to get to know who people are, and may even want something from you, but they aren't interested so much in where you work, where you go to school, who you hang out with, what you do in private.... and so on. 

-Africans love music ofcourse.  But many of them have beat up stereo's, and somehow it's like they all end up playing the same song over and over, no matter who's car your in or what taxi you take.  It's funny, this one dude's car who was driving me upcountry had a tape player that would stop about halfway through the second song on any tape he would play... so he just came playing the same two songs over and over all day.  And then, somehow I end up hearing the same songs everywhere I go.  One Reggae artist named Mogon (I think) I keep hearing his track it says something like.. "The Day Will Come" and that song is banging, and somehow I keep ending up hearing Lucky Dube "Prisoner" wherever I go.

-The Rasta's like to say that, "The Only Problem In Gambia Is No Problem"... but you here others say.. "the only problem in Gambia is money".. and others say... "As long as you have money Gambia is a good place".  Well... there is reason for all this.  When you have disparities in wealth, that contributes to what gives the country both it's good and bad qualities.  Because the poor people are willing to go above and beyond to satisfy people and provide goods and services just to get a few dollars... so the people with money end up benefitting in this way.

... more later... I'm upset I'm forgetting stuff, because I haven't been able to write things down or record them in my phone like I wanted to... cause I've yet to find a converter that works in the outlets here to charge my sidekick.

U keep saying "Africa"..that's a bit ambiguous, don't you Think..
How about being specific and talking about the exact location and country and culture of your current location, rather than using Africa to generalize..
Cuz you need to remember that,
Africa consist of different nations, different cultures what have ou1
So What may fly well in One Nation, may not even hover above any reasonable height in another states/country...

Not Dissing You, Just making a few points here & There!!

Hope U having a great Time!!!
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Man whats really good with some pictures?

.:TimeLock:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
Lucky Dube got killed recently so i guess his music is being celibrated even more now... in africa being he's is/was the biggest african reggae artist.

RIP!

Boba Fettucini

majority of my black friends call me nigga alot and tell me i'm black. no trip to africa needed.

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!

U keep saying "Africa"..that's a bit ambiguous, don't you Think..
How about being specific and talking about the exact location and country and culture of your current location, rather than using Africa to generalize..
Cuz you need to remember that,
Africa consist of different nations, different cultures what have ou1
So What may fly well in One Nation, may not even hover above any reasonable height in another states/country...

Not Dissing You, Just making a few points here & There!!

Hope U having a great Time!!!

In my first sentence I said "Just some notes on Senegal and Gambia."
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Another update, a lot has happened since I last updated this thread.....

-I went and saw a couple of shows I forgot to mention in my previous update.  One of them was a Senegalese band, and there was alot of dancing and interaction between the people.  Some of the tourists were drinking alchohol, and a big fight broke out between some locals, because one of the tourists that was drinking was getting in the way of the show and interrupting things, and one security gaurd was trying to restrain him while the other people were saying to "Let him be" and the I don't know what else they were saying or what was happening exactly because they were speaking in Wolof but a huge fight broke out, but it didn't last long.

-The other show I went to was spectacular, it was a traditional tribal dance and drumming, the tribe is known as the Jawlah people and the president of Gambia is from this tribe.  They had a man who was playing with fire, putting it in his mouth, rolling around in it, and rubbing it on his body and he never got burned... then they had somebody come in on stiltz dancing along to the music.. it was a real show you can't find anything truly like it unless you come here.

-In many of the places I go here, the kids call me "too-bob" which means white guy.  They call me it like it's my name, and if I turn around they smile or laugh.  I'll be walking down the streets and just keep hearing "too-bob", "too-bob". 

-I finally met up with some Muslim brothers here that are a part of an international Islamic effort known as Jammat Tabligh.  Which is something I'm familiar with from back home in America.  I spent three days with them out in the "path of Allah" as they say.  The man who took me out was a cousin of one of my friends from back in America.  In America all the mosque's have air conditioning and carpets and usually have nice showers, toilets, whatever you want.  But these 3 days I spent with them in Gambia was truly unique.... 

....The bathroom for the mosque we stayed in was just a little concrete area, where you were mostly exposed to the people as you went to the bathroom.. this is where we did our number 1... if you wanted more privacy to take a number 2... we actually went to the local people who lived around the mosque, and we would ask to use their bathroom, and it was also just a concrete area, but this one would have a makeshift door, but you are actually just sitting on two concrete slabs, if you even have a place to sit at all.  I asked one of the members of the "Jammat" who was staying with us where I could take a shower and he just said "this is Africa"... I said... "What is that supposed to mean?..."  and he said, "the mosques here don't have showers like in America"... and I said.. "I know, but I know you all take your baths somewhere"... anyway... we got some buckets of water, went to a neighbors house, went into a concrete corner for privacy, and that's how they take bathes here.  Just some buckets of water, soap, and go in a corner concreted area....

....Also, it was too hot in the mosque, so I was sleeping outside underneathe a mosquito net.  It would have actually been kind of peaceful, because I was stearing at the stars and the sky's full moon roof.. but for some reason they had some kind of Qu'ran recitation or music, or radio show playing over a loud speaker all night long in a nearby recording studio.  This made no sense to me, and I tried to ask the members of my group what that was all about, and I never really understood the answer they gave me...

...anyway, aside from the conditions, my 3 days with them had some special moments.  We went to the state house mosque or presidents mosque as they call it in Gambia for the Friday (jummah) prayers.  I almost got to see and meet the president, but right before he came in, his security guards advised him not to enter cause the situation did not look totally secure to them and they were suspicious.  The brothers I was with told me, that they are paranoid these days cause around a year or so ago there was a failed coup attempt against him.  Anyway, we met the Imam for the president and some of the other people.  The Imam gave us all some advice, he basically said that any hardship we face in the path of Allah, will surely pass, that any hardship in life is temporary and gave us encouragement to just keep moving forward in our lives.....

....Another special visit we made was to the Uncle of the man who gave me dawah (invitation) to become a Muslim when I was just 18 years old.  This was a very special moment for me.  I can remember clearly being 18 years old and not knowing anything about the outside world, and listening to this Muslim guy at work tell me about Africa and Islam in Africa, and his Uncle there who was like a father to him and took care of him and worked for the United Nations Islamic Affairs in Gambia, etc.   And now, here I was 7 years later seeing all this for myself.  We went to his house to visit him, and he did not dissapoint.  He was a very wise and proud man.  He was so happy to see me and meet me and here about his nephew in America and how he had influenced me many years ago into becoming a Muslim. Afterwards, he expressed his gratitude for us coming to visit him.  He explained to me that Islam had taken me very far, so far that now it had taken me all the way to Africa to see him.  And that with Islam a person always keeps moving forward, never backward.  He told me that he was just a simple man, but that Islam had elevated him and gave him much dignity, and taken him to a high position in the United Nations even though he doesn't speak any English.  He told me about his marriage and about having a "wife who you love like you love Islam".   He talked about the way my friend in America was raised in the family to have good character, and that they are proud of him, and that that is the way they raised him.  And that many Gambians are the same way....

....the next day we went to visit the Islamic school of which he is the principal.  It was probably the biggest school in the whole country.  It was poor, but still very organized and very impressive.  They teach many subjects there, from Islamic jurispudence, Arabic, English, history, and so on.  He took us around to all the classrooms to visit the students and explained that a Muslim from America had come all the way to meet them, and that they were happy to meet a brother in Islam, and that all Muslims from all races and parts of the world share the same belief and the same heart.  I was very shy visiting all those classrooms, because the students were all stearing at me, but still it was a great experience.

That's all for now.  Peace.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 05:40:30 AM by Abdul-Infinite Presents...Islam In Africa... »

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
^^ nice

ToOoOoN!!!

nice to hear that your having a great time in africa  8)

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
I left Senegal last Sunday and arrived back in the Kansas City on Monday.

I want to continue adding to this thread as I remember and reflect on my trip.  Everyones questions, comments, and input is appreciated and it has helped me in descibing the details of my trip.

More details about my trip...

-One of the other historical sites/museams that I visited was a crocodile cove in Bakou.  I'm not really big on animals and wildlife, I don't know much about crocodiles, but I think the crocodiles at this site were unusual because I could touch them and interact with them and they were not aggressive with humans.  This site also had hsitorical information on the city of Bakou about its music, history and traditions,  I took pictures with a disposable there so I can remember more once the pics are developed.

-Even though the people in Gambia are Muslim they still carry some traditional beleifs that date way back.  Like for example, at the museams I saw amulets and "ju-ju's" displayed that they believe ward off all kinds of evils.  I was even talking to a rasta in Gambia, and I was trying to explain to him that ganga was peace and love in Gambia, but selling it in America could possibly bring violence your way from other dealers... and he told me he would be safe cause he would wear specific "ju-ju" that would ward off guns.

-Also, these West Africans were convinced that Micheal Jackson has converted to Islam.  They insisted that they had proof. And they all had these Islamic songs on their cel phones and they were convinced that the voice in the songs was Micheal Jackson.  The voice did sound a lot like Michael, but I know it's a a South African singer cause they have his cd at Islamic/African shop in my city.  But they told me they cry when they hear his voice and when they heard Micheal moved to Bahrain and accepted Islam.  They were so happy I didn't want to argue with them... they said the American media didn't want to talk about Michael anymore because they wanted Islam hidden from the people.

-I got an oppurtunity to speak in front of a full masjid of people in Senegal.  I gave a lecture for about 15 minutes on Islam and how a West African brother had taught me about Islam when I was just 18, and what it was about him that inspired me, and other basics of the religion like unity and belief in One God.    They really loved my lecture, they said they were very happy to hear from me.  So I told them that I was a mirror, a reflection... because I was equally happy to meet all of them and that I was honored to be asked to speak to them.  Many of them told me their favorite part of my speach was when I told them that most foriegners come to America and try to act like Americans and that this makes Americans automatically assume superiority, but that the first time I met a West African Muslim practicing Islam, I felt internally that right away he was the most sincere, generous, and virtuous person I had ever met... and that I wanted to learn from him and learn about his people, religion and way of life.

-The young West African's love 2pac and think that he's still alive.  They pass rumors around about 2pac "alive theories" like we used to back in the late 90's.

...more later... peace

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 02:06:17 PM by Abdul-Infinite Presents...Islam In Africa... »

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
The People-  Everyone did seem to have an innocence about them, almost regardless of who they were or what they were doing.  Infact, the people I met who appeared not to have that innocence were the ones who had travelled abroad.  Like as if they had lost something that was pure and innocent inside of them by travelling West.  The people are all so eager for an oppurtunity to go to the West and make some money but when I look at some of them I know they wouldn't be happy is US or Europe.  I even met some young men in Gambia who were in their late 20's and who seemed to be mentally ill... it was explained to me about them that they used to be the smartest in their class, but that they went to Europe and got involved in selling drugs and came back mentally ill.

The Homes-  The whole time I was there I only felt stayed in one home that I actually felt comfortable.  It was either too hot, or too many mosquitoes, or the water wasn't running in the bathrooms.  Not always having soap around, or a trashcan or tissues.  This is all stuff I had to get used to.  The fact that I was living better than others around me helped me to overcome these conditions.  Even the people I was staying with would sleep on the floor and let me stay in their beds.  For example, in Senegal my friend who is a Gambian, had us stay at his wives family home for two days.  So I got to actually stay in his wife's room, sleep in her bed, and he took the floor.  She went upstairs and shared a room with her sisters and father.  I have never received such genorosity as I experienced in Africa.

Family structure-   It's a "respect culture" there, is what they call it.  The young people say that if one of their elders like a mother, father, or aunt, uncle, grandmother... if one of their elders tells them to do something, especially when it's their mother, they better do it.  Even if their mom tells them to go from one end of the city to another and back to get something small and insignificant, they have to try their best to get it done as quickly as possible.  The families mostly live together there.  They just keep building and adding on to their homes, so that homes almost resemble miniature apartment complexes.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 03:39:56 PM by Abdul-Infinite Presents...Islam In Africa... »

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
amazing

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Post some pics from this little adventure of yours.

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Post some pics from this little adventure of yours.

I only have some pics I took on a disposable camera.  But my friend told me that they may be able to put those onto a cd when they develop them, so if somebody helps me I want to try to post them on this thread.

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
As requested... here are some pics... I'm not really into pictures that much, but other people convinced me, these are three pics I feel comfortable posting at a public forum... maybe I can post more later.  Peace.

This is at James Island off of Juffreh, site of the movie "Roots" by Alex Haley, this is an actual slave island used by America/British, but as you can see it has eroded so much there is not a whole lot to see anymore.

This is one of the good friends I made while I was over there, we are at his house in the pic

This is on a boat ride heading to the upcountry