Author Topic: 8 killed in Finland school shooting  (Read 322 times)

Raphael

8 killed in Finland school shooting
« on: November 07, 2007, 11:27:22 AM »
An 18-year-old student opened fire in a high school in southern Finland on Wednesday, killing seven students and the principal before turning the gun on himself, police said.

The man, who was not identified, shot himself in the head, but survived and was taken to a hospital in "extremely critical condition," police spokesman Tero Haapala said.

The shooting at Jokela High School in Tuusula, some 50 kilometers (30 miles) north of the capital, Helsinki, shocked the Nordic nation in which gun violence is rare.

Police said at a news conference after the attack that the gunman shot the victims — five boys, two girls and the female principal — with a .22-caliber pistol. About a dozen other people were injured in the incident as they tried to escape the school, police said.

"He was from an ordinary family," police chief Matti Tohkanen said about the gunman, who belonged to a gun club and got a license for the pistol Oct. 19. He did not have a previous criminal record, he said.

Finnish media said the shooter revealed his plans in YouTube postings before the attack.

One video, titled "Jokela High School Massacre," showed a picture of a what appeared to be the Jokela school and two photos of a young man holding a handgun. The person who posted the video was identified in the user profile as an 18-year-old man from Finland. The posting was later removed.

The profile contained a text calling for a "revolution against the system."

Another YouTube video clip showed a young man clad in a dark jacket loading a clip into a handgun and firing several shots at an apple placed on the ground in a forested area. He smiled and waved to the camera at the end of the clip.

A third clip showed photos of what appeared to be same man posing with a gun and wearing a T-shirt with the text "Humanity is overrated."

Police did not confirm that it was the gunman that was seen in the clips, but said they would investigate any possible connection he might have had to the postings.

Kim Kiuru, a teacher at the school, said the principal announced over the public address system just before noon (1000GMT) that all students should remain in their classrooms.

"After that I saw the gunman running with what appeared to be a small caliber handgun in his hand through the doors toward me after which I escaped to the corridor downstairs and ran in the opposite direction," Kiuru told reporters.

Kiuru said he saw a woman's body as he fled the building.

"Then my pupils shouted at me out of the windows to ask what they should do and I told them to jump out of the windows ... and all my pupils were saved," Kiuru said.

Terhi Vayrynen, 17, a student at the school told The Associated Press that her brother Henri Vayrynen, 13, and his classmates had witnessed the shooting of the principal outside the school through the classroom window.

She said the gunman then came into Henri Vayrynen's class shouting: "Revolution. Smash everything."

When no one did anything, he shot the TV and the windows of the class room but did not fire at the students. Then he ran out and down the corridor, Terhi Vayrynen said.

More than 400 students aged 12 through 18 were enrolled at Jokela, officials said.

Gun ownership is fairly common in Finland by European standards, but deadly shootings are rare. Finnish media reported that in 1989 a 14-year-old boy shot and killed two students, apparently for teasing him.

Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen described the situation as "extremely tragic," and declared Thursday a day of national mourning with flags to be flown half-staff.
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/11/07/europe/EU-GEN-Finland-School-Shooting.php?WT.mc_id=rssfrontpage

Lil White Azz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Always stay G`d Up
Re: 8 killed in Finland school shooting
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 02:24:28 PM »
yeah, that was some crazy shit  :-\

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 03:38:26 PM »
wheres the "only in america" dudes at? RIP

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 04:15:19 PM »
Yeah, was supposed to post that, but couldn't find an english link.

Anyway, that's some fucked up shit.. I've read that he was inspired by that Virginia Tech assassin

RIP to all the victims.

kemizt

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 04:30:47 PM »
Stupid kid. I hope he lives and he gets sentenced to have his arms cut off and his head shaved so he can walk around the town with the mark of cain on him (maybe a big black dot on his head) and carte blanche to any citizen that wants to do anything to him. He thought he'd kill himself and it'd be over. Not in my world.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 04:31:22 PM »
Stupid kid. I hope he lives and he gets sentenced to have his arms cut off and his head shaved so he can walk around the town with the mark of cain on him (maybe a big black dot on his head) and carte blanche to any citizen that wants to do anything to him. He thought he'd kill himself and it'd be over. Not in my world.

He died at the hospital

kemizt

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 07:56:26 PM »
dnt understand when this occurs!!!
I'm sorry ,May God 4give me, but what a waste!!
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 03:45:40 PM »

He died at the hospital

That's too bad.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 03:52:13 PM »
by the time Id have skoolkids niggas gon be wearin bulletproof vests at school
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 04:06:47 PM »

I'm puttin' vests on my kids wether they want it or not
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 06:37:11 PM by K.Dub »

kemizt

Boba Fettucini

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 06:29:44 PM »

i doubt it

everlast1986

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 10:58:15 AM »
Finnish School Shooter Had Contact With Pennsylvania Teen

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071113/ap_on_re_us/finland_school_shooting;_ylt=Au3NOPFq8ZP4WNu2Xpgq6N5vzwcF

PHILADELPHIA - A teenager who admitted plotting a school attack near Philadelphia had communicated online about the Columbine massacre with a teenage outcast who killed eight people and himself in a high school shooting in Finland, the Pennsylvania boy's attorney said Monday.

But the teen was "horrified" when he found out about the Finnish attack and said he never would have suspected him of following through with a violent act, the attorney said.

Finnish police said material seized from the computer of Pekka-Eric Auvinen suggests the 18-year-old had communicated online with Dillon Cossey, 14, who was arrested in October on suspicion of preparing an attack at Plymouth Whitemarsh High School in suburban Philadelphia. The attack never took place.

Cossey's attorney, J. David Farrell, said that he showed Auvinen's online screen name to the Pennsylvania boy Monday and that his client remembered communicating with the Finnish teen in August or September about video games and the 1999 Columbine massacre in Colorado and exchanging videos they found on the Internet.

"They had discussed certain video games and shared videos with each other," Farrell said. "Obviously, Columbine was a shared topic of interest."

The two met through the YouTube video-sharing site, Farrell said. They also exchanged posts on a Web site dedicated to the Columbine killers, traded e-mail and likely chatted on certain Web sites, he said.

Auvinen killed six students, a nurse and the principal Wednesday in Tuusula, about 30 miles north of the Finnish capital, Helsinki. He then shot himself in the head and died hours later at a hospital.

Police in Finland said they had not yet been in contact with their U.S. colleagues about a possible link between the two teens.

In Pennsylvania, detectives were running the name of the Finnish shooter through the computer seized from Cossey, who admitted in juvenile court to planning an attack.

"We had heard when we first got this guy that he had contacted other people through Web sites," Plymouth Township Deputy Chief Joe Lawrence said. "We wouldn't be shocked by it."

Tipped off by a boy Cossey tried to recruit, Pennsylvania authorities searched his home last month. They found a rifle, about 30 air-powered guns modeled to look like higher-powered weapons, swords, knives, a bomb-making book, videos of the 1999 Columbine attack and violence-filled notebooks.

Montgomery County prosecutor Bruce Castor said he plans to announce Tuesday what investigators have culled from Cossey's computer.

Finnish investigators have said Auvinen left a suicide note for his family and foreshadowed the attack in YouTube postings. On Monday, Rabbe von Hertzen, a detective in the case, said Auvinen is believed to have written the suicide note on Nov. 5, suggesting he had planned the attacks for at least two days.

"You can be sure that there are thousands and thousands and thousands of kids that are accessing these Web sites," Farrell said.

Police have described Auvinen as a bullied teenage outcast consumed with anger against society.

Cossey told a friend that he wanted to pull off an attack similar to Columbine. Prosecutors and Farrell have said he felt bullied.

Cossey did not produce any videos and knew Auvinen only by his screen name, Farrell said.

"My client didn't encourage him in any way," Farrell said. "He had no indication that somebody he was communicating with actually was formulating an intent to commit a violent act."

Two weeks after his arrest, Cossey admitted to three felonies — criminal solicitation, risking a catastrophe and possession of an instrument of crime — in Montgomery County juvenile court. He is now in juvenile custody, where he could remain for up to six-and-a-half years.

Authorities have accused Cossey's mother, Michele, of helping him build his weapons stash. She is charged with illegally buying her son a .22-caliber handgun, a .22-caliber rifle and the 9 mm semiautomatic rifle, which had a laser scope. Her preliminary hearing is scheduled for Dec. 13.

Farrell said he doesn't know whether Dillon Cossey had contact with other people who could pose similar threats, but planned to explore that possibility with investigators and his client.