Author Topic: Mr.TJ. Santana "The West Coast Succ's Right Now"  (Read 3177 times)

tjsantana

• Lil Geezy
Mr.TJ. Santana "The West Coast Succ's Right Now"
« on: November 13, 2007, 12:44:29 PM »
This is the hook from my new street smasher!
The West Coast Succ's Right Now,

It's been 10 and some change since we had tight grip on the crown,

I hear the talks of niggaz bringin' it bacc,

But when they come it's the same-ol' tired ass shit in they raps,

Even the East aint eatin' right now,

Yeah.. the South got it locced, man the dirty really holdin' it down,

Karma's ah mutha fucca.. tell me how that sound,

Look who kiccin' down who buildin's now!

To hear the full song, go to: myspace.com/mrtjsantana

Also. Before those that don't know my pedigree, and start saying.. he must be from Wyoming or Maine somewhere.. he don't know what the fucc he talkin' bout. I'm from Compton!

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Re: Mr.TJ. Santana "The West Coast Succ's Right Now"
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 04:32:22 PM »
This is how I see it...

I've been in school in the South since 2002, and before I got here, people in L.A. always saw me as a West Coast rap advocate, whether it was at my HS or in the neighborhood. When I got here, I would play nothin but West Coast, especially because I wasn't hearin any of it out here. I felt that our music was just as good, or even better, than what was out in the South at the time...but that the stations and all weren't showin us the love we deserved. I felt then, and still feel that 2000-2001 was the best span of years we've had since 94-96, and I thought we were on our way back.

Fast forward to 2007, and it feels like we've nearly been washed out the game. I feel that The Bay had a major hot streak as far as songs go, and many of their songs could have been major nationwide because they had that universal club feel to them. However, their scene hasn't been puttin out as much catchy music, and the hyphy scene has lost it's steam. L.A. rap hasn't done much of anything different since at least 2001, and even then, that was just a slightly modernized version of what we did in the 90's. Being here in Florida, I realize that 10 years ago, their music sounded like "Come and ride the train" "Tootsie roll" and Luke "Scarred"...but now it sounds like "I'm so hood" "Everyday I'm hustlin"...so why should our music sound the exact same way as it did back then?

I think we just need to re-invent the entire sound, and stop copying other coasts AND stop trying to live off the 90's legacy and come with something fresh. We're washed out the game, so even if we get a single here and there, it won't make shit happen if it sounds like what's out in the South. We see how much Mims did for the East coast with a South-soundin single.

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 04:57:13 PM »
I feel you tj..

We Fly High

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 05:12:45 PM »
true story. west coast fuckin blows.

Monotone

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 05:48:06 PM »
what up TJ.

Got to agree with you, ive noticed lately a lot of new west artists are using early to mid 90's beats for their mixtapes. Which is cool for a minute but gets played out quickly

You have to blame fans too, they create the demand for some of this garbage that gets pumped out, people on this forum are still hoping dogg pound will drop a classic and save the coast...

time to move on

SGV

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 06:28:03 PM »

Fast forward to 2007, and it feels like we've nearly been washed out the game. I feel that The Bay had a major hot streak as far as songs go, and many of their songs could have been major nationwide because they had that universal club feel to them. However, their scene hasn't been puttin out as much catchy music, and the hyphy scene has lost it's steam. L.A. rap hasn't done much of anything different since at least 2001, and even then, that was just a slightly modernized version of what we did in the 90's. Being here in Florida, I realize that 10 years ago, their music sounded like "Come and ride the train" "Tootsie roll" and Luke "Scarred"...but now it sounds like "I'm so hood" "Everyday I'm hustlin"...so why should our music sound the exact same way as it did back then?

I think we just need to re-invent the entire sound, and stop copying other coasts AND stop trying to live off the 90's legacy and come with something fresh. We're washed out the game, so even if we get a single here and there, it won't make shit happen if it sounds like what's out in the South. We see how much Mims did for the East coast with a South-soundin single.

true story. west coast fuckin blows.

You have to blame fans too, they create the demand for some of this garbage that gets pumped out, people on this forum are still hoping dogg pound will drop a classic and save the coast...

time to move on

d-nice

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 06:54:42 PM »
This is how I see it...

I've been in school in the South since 2002, and before I got here, people in L.A. always saw me as a West Coast rap advocate, whether it was at my HS or in the neighborhood. When I got here, I would play nothin but West Coast, especially because I wasn't hearin any of it out here. I felt that our music was just as good, or even better, than what was out in the South at the time...but that the stations and all weren't showin us the love we deserved. I felt then, and still feel that 2000-2001 was the best span of years we've had since 94-96, and I thought we were on our way back.

On point as usual R. We really need a rapper not on that gang bangin/gangsta tip to blow up. Just to show some diversity out here. And not knockin that subject matter but something new and fresh.

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 09:16:29 PM »
But for real..if a rapper turns Up..and don't have no ties with any gangs..
Just Ur Average "will Smith" kinda rapper, hailing from LA..I.e So Cal would you guys the Fan accept Him??
Or Would Yous say "Dude is Wack"??

I can just about picture the interview

Interviewer:So You From LA.

Rapper:Yeah,SoCal..that's right

Interviewer:SoCal,yeah we know a lot of rappers from,Snoop,DPG..etc..all had Gang Ties.
Do You have Gang Ties??

Rapper:Nope,I Don't.
Not A Lot Of Gang Violence happened round my block!
Just folks working and trying to make a Living!

Interviewer:So You Don't bang,No Affiliations..nothing,and you want to Rap & Rep LA?

Rapper:Yessir!!

^^That may be a lil exaggerated a bit..but i'm Sure ye  would have wee understand of where I'm coming From!
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

We Fly High

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »
Just Ur Average "will Smith" kinda rapper, hailing from LA..I.e So Cal would you guys the Fan accept Him??

Interviewer:SoCal,yeah we know a lot of rappers from,Snoop,DPG..etc..all had Gang Ties.
Do You have Gang Ties??

Interviewer:So You Don't bang,No Affiliations..nothing,and you want to Rap & Rep LA?

^^That may be a lil exaggerated a bit..but i'm Sure ye  would have wee understand of where I'm coming From!

if the artist can only talk about violence and banging, then the artist is way too one dimensional to start with and does not deserve a chance in the first place.
fortunately, there are intelligent artists out there, that rap and rep LA.

Check out artists like Blu and Exile, and Pacific Division, etc... all making some of the best music the west coast has seen in forever.

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 02:04:02 AM »

Do You have Gang Ties??

yeah see what you mean it makes him more interesting if he got gang ties or raps about gangsta shit like Game than your average rapper

SGV

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 07:20:31 AM »

Do You have Gang Ties??

Of course people would say he's corny, he's wack, "we want some gangsta shit," etc. But these are the same people who will turn around and whine that the West has no representation. Being a gangster rapper can only take you so far. It was cool as shit in the 90s cuz it was really only the West doing it. Now, everyone is a G.

And no interviewer would ever be that ignorant to ask questions like that... LOL. I understand your point, but it's not like that would be the first and only rapper from L.A. without major gang ties. Think Pharcyde, Murs, Xzibit (yes, Mr. Get Your Walk On started out on so me Underground shit), Tha Liks, Defari, etc. They all came out without Gang ties during the HEIGHTS of Gangsta Rap. So if they could do that then, a rapper could do it now 10 years later. As fans, we dictate where the music goes. If we want it to be all about flaggin' and low ridin' then we will get music like that. But, if we want music that will crossover and open the door once again for the West Coast, we have to demand it and not settle for less. It's time to let the Daz's, Kurupt's, Ice Cube's, etc. and strongly support the Omar Cruz's, Pacific Division's, etc. Gang Banging can still work in your rhymes if you at least keep it fresh, i.e. Game. The reason Game didn't flop like Daz and Kurupt is because, one he's a fresh new face. But 2, Game used a variety of beats that typical West Coast artists aren't known for. He had a much broader appeal and that's what it's about. If you're gonna be a Gangsta Rapper, come with a swagger like Jay Rock. Typical Gangster rappers would sample a Roger Troutman track and be done with it. Jay Rock busting over some NY shit with DJ Envy and Big Mike co-hosting his Tape, now that's smart. We as fans need to demand creativity and originality like this. We cannot just settle for the same old same. If it sounds like 1994, it shouldn't be praised...

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 07:37:25 AM »

Do You have Gang Ties??

Of course people would say he's corny, he's wack, "we want some gangsta shit," etc. But these are the same people who will turn around and whine that the West has no representation. Being a gangster rapper can only take you so far. It was cool as shit in the 90s cuz it was really only the West doing it. Now, everyone is a G.

And no interviewer would ever be that ignorant to ask questions like that... LOL. I understand your point, but it's not like that would be the first and only rapper from L.A. without major gang ties. Think Pharcyde, Murs, Xzibit (yes, Mr. Get Your Walk On started out on so me Underground shit), Tha Liks, Defari, etc. They all came out without Gang ties during the HEIGHTS of Gangsta Rap. So if they could do that then, a rapper could do it now 10 years later. As fans, we dictate where the music goes. If we want it to be all about flaggin' and low ridin' then we will get music like that. But, if we want music that will crossover and open the door once again for the West Coast, we have to demand it and not settle for less. It's time to let the Daz's, Kurupt's, Ice Cube's, etc. and strongly support the Omar Cruz's, Pacific Division's, etc. Gang Banging can still work in your rhymes if you at least keep it fresh, i.e. Game. The reason Game didn't flop like Daz and Kurupt is because, one he's a fresh new face. But 2, Game used a variety of beats that typical West Coast artists aren't known for. He had a much broader appeal and that's what it's about. If you're gonna be a Gangsta Rapper, come with a swagger like Jay Rock. Typical Gangster rappers would sample a Roger Troutman track and be done with it. Jay Rock busting over some NY shit with DJ Envy and Big Mike co-hosting his Tape, now that's smart. We as fans need to demand creativity and originality like this. We cannot just settle for the same old same. If it sounds like 1994, it shouldn't be praised...

Yeah..I Know..i did come across very one dimensional in my portray of an interviewer!!
But I agree with what you've said in your Post!!
Creativity is missing!!Props!

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 07:38:10 AM »

Do You have Gang Ties??

if the artist can only talk about violence and banging, then the artist is way too one dimensional to start with and does not deserve a chance in the first place.
fortunately, there are intelligent artists out there, that rap and rep LA.

Check out artists like Blu and Exile, and Pacific Division, etc... all making some of the best music the west coast has seen in forever.
Oh yeah..
I will check them Out!!
Thanks!

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 07:39:41 AM »

yeah see what you mean it makes him more interesting if he got gang ties or raps about gangsta shit like Game than your average rapper

....True...

Iliveinthefuture

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 11:13:31 AM »
the west coast got the dumbest and most confused "fans" ever str8 up  8)