Author Topic: We All Know Crook's Been Taking Too Long, BUT...........  (Read 396 times)

BigG

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: We All Know Crook's Been Taking Too Long, BUT...........
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 02:32:40 PM »
Damn, the record industry and fans are missing out on alot of artist and potential classic albums.  Shows just how much hate and jealosy to west coast gets

naw man, the artists have to blame themselves.  They can release albums if they wanted to, but they want to get on "big" major labels.  They dont make mainstream music but they want to be in the mainstream.

A potential classic dropped a couple months ago from the west.  The dj muggs vs Sick Jacken album.  They said straight up that they dont care about the fame or none of that, and they released a real dope album straight from Los Angeles.

If they can do it, any rapper can do it.  But those others rappers are just thinking about the fame and getting wit major labels.
http://www.myspace.com/sickeyesbeats

^^Check out my westcoast beats

187Proof

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 02:46:02 PM »
I don't get these threads.  Do you think these artists are just fucking around all day, not trying to put an album out?  They're working hard every day recording music, doing shows, going to events, etc.  It's not up to them when an album gets released, they don't have a direct distribution deal like Daz where he just puts something out whenever he's wants to.  They're working hard to bring you the best product possible, and they're trying to get their album released.  Do you really think they don't WANT to release albums?  Come on.

And @187Proof, Glasses Malone just dropped a great mixtape a couple weeks ago that you can download here:
http://www.dubcnn.com/mixtapes/gmalone-theelectricchair/
I know the situation with a rapper (especially a westcoast one these 'days) and the label picking the time when their album drops. They have no control over that. That's all good.

BUT.....A smart business man will tell you, you need to stay fresh, keep reinventing yourself, etc. People don't want the same old product they got in '99 if you're not releasing it until 2009.

Crooked I is a great example. Dude has been in the game for over a decade. Hasn't got to release an album yet, but he has stayed fresh, as well as well respected in the eyes of his fans and the hip hop community as a whole. He's done different things with the Wake Up Show that were much hyped, all of his Hip Hop Weeklies stay in the minds of listeners, he's putting out DVD's, hopping on remixes all the time, etc, etc. And we're STILL checking for him. Just look at different people's reactions these days when someone makes a "Why Won't Crooked I Release An Album Already" thread.....A lot of them always say something to the effect of "How many of these threads are there going to be on this forum", etc. People say that because they hear Crook's name too much, and that's a good thing for him because his promotion train has created it's own buzz/promotion to go hand in hand with what he's doing.

Now take it back to my original side of thinking: G. Malone. I know he's put out a mixtape here and there (I checked it when it dropped Eddie, and it's decent...We had heard half the stuff before though so it's more like a compilation of stuff we already had of his), but why isn't he making things happen for himself? Does he think since he signed a record deal everything will be just fine as soon as his album gets the "OK" to drop? If you ask the question in that sense, then "yes", everything might work to his advantage when the album drops........but if he keeps doin things like he is (or isn't) doing right now, A & R's know when the people aren't asking for your product anymore.

It comes down to simple economics...supply & demand........how many "When's the G Malone Album Gonna Drop" threads have you seen on this forum compared to the "Where's Crooked I's Album At" threads? That's because Crook is keeping his name out there and is looking at the REAL business side of things. Not just waiting for the album to drop, but making moves on his own as well.

Don't get me wrong......no disrespect to G. Malone. I'm a real fan of his, but this thread is mostly out of frustration that he's not "applying himself" (for lack of a better term) to keep his name consistant with fans these days........which in turn means we may never get to see a G. Malone album (which would be a damn shame in my opinion).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 02:48:02 PM by 187Proof »

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 03:26:23 PM »
I don't get these threads.  Do you think these artists are just fucking around all day, not trying to put an album out?  They're working hard every day recording music, doing shows, going to events, etc.  It's not up to them when an album gets released, they don't have a direct distribution deal like Daz where he just puts something out whenever he's wants to.  They're working hard to bring you the best product possible, and they're trying to get their album released.  Do you really think they don't WANT to release albums?  Come on.

And @187Proof, Glasses Malone just dropped a great mixtape a couple weeks ago that you can download here:

BUT.....A smart business man will tell you, you need to stay fresh, keep reinventing yourself, etc. People don't want the same old product they got in '99 if you're not releasing it until 2009.

I think Glasses is bringing something new to the West Coast.  Personally, I thought his "Electric Chair" mixtape was the most creative concept of the year.  You've got all these people on here bitching about getting '94 G-Funk tracks, and then the other West Coast fans who want something new.  The mixtape was the perfect combination of the new with the old.  He dropped some clean, universal sounding records ("Certified," "Malone," "Fly Like Us") and then they took it back to the Death Row era with those freestyles and the WBallz theme.  That was genius IMO.  He hit every West Coast hip-hop fan with that tape.

It comes down to simple economics...supply & demand........how many "When's the G Malone Album Gonna Drop" threads have you seen on this forum compared to the "Where's Crooked I's Album At" threads?

You could attribute that to the fact that Crooked has been in the game way longer than G Malone.  He's been around so long that most hip-hop heads know his name at least, and he did get some exposure when he was on Death Row.  Also, it's an on-going battle for lots of fans to get a Crooked I album, where Glasses doesn't have that stigma attached to his name.

Don't get me wrong......no disrespect to G. Malone. I'm a real fan of his, but this thread is mostly out of frustration that he's not "applying himself" (for lack of a better term) to keep his name consistant with fans these days........which in turn means we may never get to see a G. Malone album (which would be a damn shame in my opinion).
I don't get what you're saying here about him not applying himself.  You said you see his myspace bulletins, with him doing all those shows all the time.  He's doing public appearances all the time too, shit in just one week he did: the Bishop Lamont birthday party performance, then you saw those pics Styles posted of him dressed up as Suge at another party, and then he came out with us over at The Pit.  So he really is keeping an extremely close relationship with his fans.

187Proof

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 03:56:32 PM »

I think Glasses is bringing something new to the West Coast.  Personally, I thought his "Electric Chair" mixtape was the most creative concept of the year.  You've got all these people on here bitching about getting '94 G-Funk tracks, and then the other West Coast fans who want something new.  The mixtape was the perfect combination of the new with the old.  He dropped some clean, universal sounding records ("Certified," "Malone," "Fly Like Us") and then they took it back to the Death Row era with those freestyles and the WBallz theme.  That was genius IMO.  He hit every West Coast hip-hop fan with that tape.

It comes down to simple economics...supply & demand........how many "When's the G Malone Album Gonna Drop" threads have you seen on this forum compared to the "Where's Crooked I's Album At" threads?

You could attribute that to the fact that Crooked has been in the game way longer than G Malone.  He's been around so long that most hip-hop heads know his name at least, and he did get some exposure when he was on Death Row.  Also, it's an on-going battle for lots of fans to get a Crooked I album, where Glasses doesn't have that stigma attached to his name.

I don't get what you're saying here about him not applying himself.  You said you see his myspace bulletins, with him doing all those shows all the time.  He's doing public appearances all the time too, shit in just one week he did: the Bishop Lamont birthday party performance, then you saw those pics Styles posted of him dressed up as Suge at another party, and then he came out with us over at The Pit.  So he really is keeping an extremely close relationship with his fans.

First of all, thank you for having an intellegent discussion regarding this subject, instead of childish name-calling, "I'm right, you're wrong" kind of attitude that I know a lot of people would have exhibited right off the bat.

Second, just out of curiousity (no sarcasm or anything like that intended with this statement), but how would you break down G. Malone's marketing approach against Crooked I's marketing approach. I know Crooked I has been in the game much longer, but still most peeps I know never talked about dude at all until he started dropping the Hip Hop Weeklys on everyone. I think that was one great marketing approach that has and will continue to pay off for Crooked I even more in the future. How would you break down the pros & cons of what each one has done (I really respect your opinion and that's why I am asking you personally).

BIG SB

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 04:37:27 PM »
the problem with these westcoast rappers don't know what the hell theyre doing.  They make bad decisons, release big tracks at the wrong times with no follow ups.  I've got homies that have had incredible tracks that built up their buzz but didn't drop it at the right times.  Just like someone said earlier, Daz drops albums whenever he wants, shit you can even look at Spider Loc, he went and dropped The West Kept Secret on Koch.  These niggas gotta sit back and peep the game and watch were these other fools mess up and soak that up and do this right.  Nobody out here knows that theyre doing, they don't have the right staff behind them, everyone got their homies working for them and all these camps out here function the same way.  All the signed artist, all the unsigned artist do the same shit and none of it is the right way.

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 04:44:10 PM »

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 04:46:35 PM »
the problem with these westcoast rappers don't know what the hell theyre doing.  They make bad decisons, release big tracks at the wrong times with no follow ups.  I've got homies that have had incredible tracks that built up their buzz but didn't drop it at the right times.  Just like someone said earlier, Daz drops albums whenever he wants, shit you can even look at Spider Loc, he went and dropped The West Kept Secret on Koch.  These niggas gotta sit back and peep the game and watch were these other fools mess up and soak that up and do this right.  Nobody out here knows that theyre doing, they don't have the right staff behind them, everyone got their homies working for them and all these camps out here function the same way.  All the signed artist, all the unsigned artist do the same shit and none of it is the right way.

So would you agree that an artist like Crooked I should take the Daz route and start releasing albums independently?
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

BIG SB

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2007, 04:50:10 PM »

So would you agree that an artist like Crooked I should take the Daz route and start releasing albums independently?

don't know why he hasnt already, eastcoast niggas thats in his situation do that shit all the time, don't see why he just doesnt hit up koch and get his shit crackin unless they dont want him.  Crooked I could push some decent numbers on  Koch cause he has a coo fanbase and would make some cool money.

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2007, 05:19:06 PM »

First of all, thank you for having an intellegent discussion regarding this subject, instead of childish name-calling, "I'm right, you're wrong" kind of attitude that I know a lot of people would have exhibited right off the bat.

Second, just out of curiousity (no sarcasm or anything like that intended with this statement), but how would you break down G. Malone's marketing approach against Crooked I's marketing approach. I know Crooked I has been in the game much longer, but still most peeps I know never talked about dude at all until he started dropping the Hip Hop Weeklys on everyone. I think that was one great marketing approach that has and will continue to pay off for Crooked I even more in the future. How would you break down the pros & cons of what each one has done (I really respect your opinion and that's why I am asking you personally).

Yeah, I'm not trying to be an asshole on here, and I know you're cool 187Proof, so I'm glad we're doing this civilly  ;D  I think Crooked's Hip Hop Weekly idea was amazing.  It really captured the entire online hip-hop fanbase, and the way the format works, as something you can look forward to every week, re-establishes his credibility (he's actually RELEASING shit as promised every week.)  I think it was a stroke of genius, and it's pretty damn hard to top as far as getting a buzz.  He already had a name, and people wanted to hear shit from him, so this is the perfect way to keep his buzz up.  As far as overall marketing techniques, I think Crooked has always done a good job of coming up with creative, catchy singles and building a buzz up, at least among internet fans.  He runs into problems because he gets the momentum going and then the album doesn't drop (I'm not trying to assess blame here on Crooked's part or his record labels' part.  I don't know the situation, so there's no reason for me to speak on it.)  The other issue Crooked faces with the mainstream audience is the "too gangsta" label, which is sometimes unwarranted.  I remember they did the video for "Still Tha Row" and it was deemed as something they could only play late at night, and I don't remember anything offensive about that video.  Then with "Boom Boom Clap," he got fucked because of the "blue" presence in the video, and no one would air it either.  So basically, those videos were wastes of money.  They were good videos, and great songs, but they didn't work as national singles for whatever reason.

I think Glasses is really doing a good job in LA promoting himself and making connections with his fans.  He dropped the mixtape, which, I explained in my previous post, I thought was very relevant to all West Coast fans.  His "Certified" single is FINALLY catching on at radio stations out here in California too.  I remember listening to that song over the summer and thinking, "Why the fuck isn't this a hit song on the radio?"  For one, it's a great song, and then he's got the most popular hook singer on there, and Toomp producing it. It sounds like something that fits in on the radio, and more importantly it's also a tight track! So that's blowing up now, and I think that if he films a couple of videos and gets some more singles going that he's gonna get the fulll major label treatment.

So I guess Glasses is doing a "traditional" promo approach (shows, radio, mixtapes) while Crooked tried something unheard of (HHW) and struck gold with it.  I think they're both doing a great job, and we'll see who drops first.  Obviously Glasses has the major behind him, but at the same time, it's Cash Money, and the impression I've gotten just by watching their albums drop over the years is that they have a lot of control as far as putting out shit when they want to.  I think they're calling their own shots, instead of Universal running the show.  Crooked is on the independent label, so more problems could potentially arise with trying to put it out.  I hope they're both very successful, because they're great MCs.

Blood$

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2007, 05:42:11 PM »
don't forget about Jayo Felony, how long was he talking about "In The Trenches" for before he left Treacherous? and he still ain't got any new albums out since Crip Hop in '01...  :(

187Proof

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2007, 06:50:10 PM »

Yeah, I'm not trying to be an asshole on here, and I know you're cool 187Proof, so I'm glad we're doing this civilly  ;D  I think Crooked's Hip Hop Weekly idea was amazing.  It really captured the entire online hip-hop fanbase, and the way the format works, as something you can look forward to every week, re-establishes his credibility (he's actually RELEASING shit as promised every week.)  I think it was a stroke of genius, and it's pretty damn hard to top as far as getting a buzz.  He already had a name, and people wanted to hear shit from him, so this is the perfect way to keep his buzz up.  As far as overall marketing techniques, I think Crooked has always done a good job of coming up with creative, catchy singles and building a buzz up, at least among internet fans.  He runs into problems because he gets the momentum going and then the album doesn't drop (I'm not trying to assess blame here on Crooked's part or his record labels' part.  I don't know the situation, so there's no reason for me to speak on it.)  The other issue Crooked faces with the mainstream audience is the "too gangsta" label, which is sometimes unwarranted.  I remember they did the video for "Still Tha Row" and it was deemed as something they could only play late at night, and I don't remember anything offensive about that video.  Then with "Boom Boom Clap," he got fucked because of the "blue" presence in the video, and no one would air it either.  So basically, those videos were wastes of money.  They were good videos, and great songs, but they didn't work as national singles for whatever reason.

I think Glasses is really doing a good job in LA promoting himself and making connections with his fans.  He dropped the mixtape, which, I explained in my previous post, I thought was very relevant to all West Coast fans.  His "Certified" single is FINALLY catching on at radio stations out here in California too.  I remember listening to that song over the summer and thinking, "Why the fuck isn't this a hit song on the radio?"  For one, it's a great song, and then he's got the most popular hook singer on there, and Toomp producing it. It sounds like something that fits in on the radio, and more importantly it's also a tight track! So that's blowing up now, and I think that if he films a couple of videos and gets some more singles going that he's gonna get the fulll major label treatment.

So I guess Glasses is doing a "traditional" promo approach (shows, radio, mixtapes) while Crooked tried something unheard of (HHW) and struck gold with it.  I think they're both doing a great job, and we'll see who drops first.  Obviously Glasses has the major behind him, but at the same time, it's Cash Money, and the impression I've gotten just by watching their albums drop over the years is that they have a lot of control as far as putting out shit when they want to.  I think they're calling their own shots, instead of Universal running the show.  Crooked is on the independent label, so more problems could potentially arise with trying to put it out.  I hope they're both very successful, because they're great MCs.

Respect......+1....... 8)

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2007, 06:52:42 PM »

Respect......+1....... 8)
Right back at ya!