Author Topic: British teacher held captive in Sudan for naming class teddy bear "Mohammed"...  (Read 464 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Sudan holds British teacher for naming bear Mohammed

by Jennie Matthew
29 minutes ago

KHARTOUM (AFP) - A British teacher in Sudan on Monday faced lashes and deportation as she languished in police custody accused of insulting the Muslim prophet for allowing young children to name a teddy bear Mohammed.

Sudanese police arrested Gillian Gibbons in Khartoum on Sunday after parents complained that she allowed six-year-old boys and girls at an expensive English school to name the bear, and so "insult" the Prophet Mohammed.

The penalty carries the death sentence for Muslims in Sudan, where Islamic Sharia law is enforced in Khartoum and the north, but a non-Muslim could face a maximum penalty of lashes, prison, a fine and deportation if found guilty.

A shaken Gibbons, whom a British embassy spokesman said on Monday had not yet been charged and who never intended that naming the bear would cause offence, was poised to spend a second night in police custody.

"She was arrested yesterday by the local police and she's currently being held in a police station in Khartoum. We visited her today. She's shaken up but she's alright," said the embassy spokesman.

"We're following up with the Sudanese authorities and also with the school who are providing her with legal representation. She's not been charged officially but there are still investigations going on," the spokesman said.

Sudanese officials on Monday closed the fee-paying Christian-run Unity High School until further notice, one teacher told AFP on condition of anonymity.

The British headmistress of the school, where the majority of pupils are Muslim from well-off Sudanese and expatriate families, was unreachable.

One teacher charged that the incident stemmed from a private dispute between another colleague and the school management.

The Sudanese Media Centre, a news agency close to the country's intelligence servives, quoted the school as apologising and allegedly claiming the teacher had been sacked.

"The school apologised officially to the students, families and all Muslims for an individual act that does not represent the policy of the school, or its deep respect for Muslims and their faith," SMC quoted the school as saying.

Members of the Khartoum state assembly swiftly demanded greater control of foreign schools, which are popular with Sudan's growing affluent class in the capital, as well as the children of embassy officials and aid workers.

For devout Muslims, any physical depiction of Mohammed is blasphemous and strictly forbidden.

If charged and brought before a court, Gibbons's fate would be decided by a judge who could sentence her to prison, a quota of lashes and a fine, independent legal experts said. She would also face certain deportation.

Gibbons was understood to have worked as a deputy headteacher at a primary school in Liverpool, northwest England, from 2002 until this July when she left for Sudan.

Her relatives declined to comment. "I have spoken with her children and they do not want to say anything and aggravate the situation over there. They have decided not to say anything," said a family spokesman.

However a former neighbour in Liverpool said she had dedicated her life to teaching children -- and lamented what has happened in Sudan.

"Gillian was a very nice person and wouldn't harm a fly. It is ridiculous what has happened," said Peter Sorensen, 64, who lived next door to Gibbons for more than 20 years.

"She will be going through hell in jail over there. I think what has happened must have come out of the blue -- it is dangerous territory, she probably hasn't realised that."

The British Foreign Office website says that while Sudan's constitution says non-Muslims shall be exempt from Sharia law, this has not yet resulted in practical changes and that people should expect Sharia law to apply.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Muslims can be retardedly uptight when it comes to their religion. Thank God I wasn't born into such a culture. Fuck religion and Bush.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Muslims can be retardedly uptight when it comes to their religion. Thank God I wasn't born into such a culture. Fuck religion and Bush.

agreed, due to a lack of alternative identities, which would usually be a result of education and prosperity, possible also a lack of outlet for democratic expression so they turn to their qurans

"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Yeah, it's definitely only partly their fault. The west is quick to look down on other people but when put into the same situation from the beginning (culture etc) a good portion of them would act the same, similar or even worse. If there's one thing I'm unconditionally glad for then it's the fact that I was always given the chance to be different, having a relatively high freedom of expression, fuck the thought police all day every day braaaaaaat tat tat tat
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

REGIME MOB 510

• Muthafuckin' Don!
the thought police can suck my dick

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
I feel sorry for the Teach..But Seriously, you are in Sudan, whnere you hear of attacks in that region or nayboring countries..i.e Ethipoa, of conflicts between Xtians & Muslim, You are the head mistress of a predominately Musilim Schools..why would you name a 'bear' "Mohammad'..??.and think nothing drastic would ensue????

Sumtime is can't understand sum pple!!
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

Good Morning

i wouldnt be out there on some naive good intentions shit in the first place if i wasnt black

wardy

saw this on the news before, its a fookin joke imo

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
I feel sorry for the Teach..But Seriously, you are in Sudan, whnere you hear of attacks in that region or nayboring countries..i.e Ethipoa, of conflicts between Xtians & Muslim, You are the head mistress of a predominately Musilim Schools..why would you name a 'bear' "Mohammad'..??.and think nothing drastic would ensue????

um she didn't name the bear, her students did. Even a muslim teacher at the school said she didn't find it offensice.

Plus half her students were probably called mohammad anyways, so how she supposed to know it would be an insult.

Nothing wrong with being in africa its one of the safest places in the world, don't believe the hype in the news, just aviod the war zones.

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!

um she didn't name the bear, her students did. Even a muslim teacher at the school said she didn't find it offensice.

Plus half her students were probably called mohammad anyways, so how she supposed to know it would be an insult.

Rite..ma Bad!!!
If her Studenst named the bear, why is She the scapegoat???
Pretty weird right??

Nothing wrong with being in africa its one of the safest places in the world, don't believe the hype in the news, just aviod the war zones.

.."safest Places in the World"..U Sure about That???
For The Most Part it's Cool..but not as safe as you make it out to be,Playa!
But thanks for clearing that info Up!
+1

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
Mohammad is the most popular name used in the world. Most Muslim parents name their male children Mohammad. Aren't we being a little too sensitive here? How can you assume that it is being used in reference to Mohammad the prophet?

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Thats what I call asking for trouble.

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Sumtime i can't understand sum pple!!

Thats what I call asking for trouble.

Exactly!!!

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Mohammad is the most popular name used in the world. Most Muslim parents name their male children Mohammad. Aren't we being a little too sensitive here? How can you assume that it is being used in reference to Mohammad the prophet?

True.,Guess naming our son after the Prophet is akin to reverence,and showing respect adn hoping the Son would follow the steps of the Prophet.

Naming any innate object "Mohammad" can be construed to mean something different and offensive to Muslim..That's my understanding of it..

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Now, I didn't read the article - couldn't really give a flying fuck about those brainwashedlivingintheyear450ad, but after I looked at the subject something tells me that there's something wrong with those who holds someone captive just for naming a teddybear Mohammed. Shit's lame. lol

kemizt