Author Topic: AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO AIN'T FEELING BISHOP LAMONT  (Read 5855 times)

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO AIN'T FEELING BISHOP LAMONT
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2007, 06:34:56 PM »
the authorities of the day constantly sought to arrest him.... and they failed until he finally let himself get caught. the people he converted were robbers, prostitutes, murderers and all sorts of shady people.
SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ

Lindon

• 'G'
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2007, 01:30:21 AM »
I thought Pope Mobile was great at addressing religion... it's from Bishop's point of view. That song about Jesus dodging the police and hanging with thugs is some real shit, because it's the truth, according to the gospels at least.
LMAo!!
What Jesus is This??
The Bible Christ or the Jesus created by rappers for Hip Hop???

Styles I think Mackin4life is on point. For me, Bishop is doing what every other rapper does when they spit on religion - make it completely digestable for rap fans in a completely unchallenging way. Look I am not a theologian and Bishop is not completely off the mark but to me this does not feel like a real portrayal of how bishop really feels about his religion (unless bishop is a superficial dude which i don't think he is), its just religion for rap fans to feel good about themselves if that makes any sense.

there is no out-right theological song, but if he did that, then listeners would complain about it's preachiness, no? but the guy is a thinker and I know that he's got his opinions... maybe we will get the deep song that you are looking for. I can definitely ask him that soon. 

i understand what you are saying homie, but i do not want to be preached at, I want something personal from bishop that gives us a clue to who he really is. the only time we really get that is on the track on pope mobile where he speaks on hating his father. i might be expecting a bit much and confusing a lot of different things but my bottom line with any "conscious" or "lyrical" rapper is that I have to feel like they are being honest about themselves not just hiding behind some clever words, some ideas which sound good (but which ultimately lack substance) and a huge ego. i kind of feel like bishop falls into that category at the moment but i am waiting on the album. 

gangsta rappers will always get away with being judged less harshly because for all the bullshit about who is real and who is not, they are tellng a story and portraying an image which is fundamentally about entertainment. "conscious" rappers are telling us that they are delivering something "real" about the world and about themselves. if that "real" is a 12 year old's politics and religion, they are not worth listening to. Just my opinion homie.   

kingston

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2007, 01:59:13 AM »
im not caught into the gangsta shit cause i don't like bishop lamont .. that's a stupid responds. i got love for dead prez, mos def, .. but bishop ? NAAAHHH i ain't feeling is shit.that's it.i thing is buzz is nowhere to find and he not gone bring the west back like anybody say..

Mietek23

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2007, 02:48:31 AM »
The only track I like from him is his collaboration with MoPreme Shakur called "Wartime Is Now"...there's a lot better rappers from the new west than him like Crooked I, Eastwood, Lil' Eazy, Live Wire etc...

Cheese

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2007, 03:26:55 AM »
I totally agree with you. He gets boring very soon. I dont's see him dropping an album any time soon. His buzz is still pretty limited to Westcoast heads and I doubt it'll ever gonna get bigger.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 03:37:46 AM by Robert de Negro »

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2007, 11:08:57 AM »
I thought Pope Mobile was great at addressing religion... it's from Bishop's point of view. That song about Jesus dodging the police and hanging with thugs is some real shit, because it's the truth, according to the gospels at least.
LMAo!!
What Jesus is This??
The Bible Christ or the Jesus created by rappers for Hip Hop???

Styles I think Mackin4life is on point. For me, Bishop is doing what every other rapper does when they spit on religion - make it completely digestable for rap fans in a completely unchallenging way. Look I am not a theologian and Bishop is not completely off the mark but to me this does not feel like a real portrayal of how bishop really feels about his religion (unless bishop is a superficial dude which i don't think he is), its just religion for rap fans to feel good about themselves if that makes any sense.

there is no out-right theological song, but if he did that, then listeners would complain about it's preachiness, no? but the guy is a thinker and I know that he's got his opinions... maybe we will get the deep song that you are looking for. I can definitely ask him that soon. 

i understand what you are saying homie, but i do not want to be preached at, I want something personal from bishop that gives us a clue to who he really is. the only time we really get that is on the track on pope mobile where he speaks on hating his father. i might be expecting a bit much and confusing a lot of different things but my bottom line with any "conscious" or "lyrical" rapper is that I have to feel like they are being honest about themselves not just hiding behind some clever words, some ideas which sound good (but which ultimately lack substance) and a huge ego. i kind of feel like bishop falls into that category at the moment but i am waiting on the album. 

gangsta rappers will always get away with being judged less harshly because for all the bullshit about who is real and who is not, they are tellng a story and portraying an image which is fundamentally about entertainment. "conscious" rappers are telling us that they are delivering something "real" about the world and about themselves. if that "real" is a 12 year old's politics and religion, they are not worth listening to. Just my opinion homie.   

It all depends on who he was intending to speak to. You can't reach all people the same way. There is a possibility that was for more street minded individuals? And not those looking for deep outright discussions?

As for Mack4Life, I hear what you are saying, but he asked if that was Jesus of the Bible or Jesus of the rappers.... and that's the question that I answered. At least it's the answer provided by John, Mark as told to by Peter, Luke as told to by Paul, and Matthew. :)

Lindon

• 'G'
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2007, 11:46:38 AM »
It all depends on who he was intending to speak to. You can't reach all people the same way. There is a possibility that was for more street minded individuals? And not those looking for deep outright discussions?

i respect your opinion styles but i think you are being very charitable to bishop. if bishop is intending to preach to a certain "congregation" to use his language then that's fair enough and maybe it aint for me but this aint school, this is music. I don't expect anything very deep from him, i just want something which feels honest and not some clumsy rhetoric about going to church "not being soft" - that shit does not feel particularly real. Despite the clever rhymes and lack of gangsterism, Bishop's two biggest themes on the mic have consistently been pussy and how f*cking hard he is. Still waiting to hear something from him which is raw and emotional and is really "real". when i hear that i will be happy for him to preach at me. Church!!! 

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2007, 11:50:02 AM »
It's not school and it is music, but not all of the people get the message the same way. but it's all good.... maybe he'll make a song that will satisfy you. I know that you have given me an idea for my next Bishop feature.... so thanks. 

Lindon

• 'G'
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2007, 12:02:04 PM »
It's not school and it is music, but not all of the people get the message the same way. but it's all good.... maybe he'll make a song that will satisfy you. I know that you have given me an idea for my next Bishop feature.... so thanks. 

i hear you. i know i am expecting a lot. i really think bishop is an intelligent dude who (if his ego lets him) is capable of getting out of the (both mainstream and underground) rapper mould. i guess whether that produces really good music is another matter. i hope he can and i hope it does.

i always look forward to hearing your interviews - although i have some trepidation about this one!!!!

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2007, 12:18:36 PM »
no need for worry... if anything, I am looking to get answers that you appear to seek..

Lindon

• 'G'
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2007, 12:24:04 PM »
no need for worry... if anything, I am looking to get answers that you appear to seek..

haha, sounds gravy! i'll look forward to it. 

Gamestarr

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • P
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2007, 02:03:30 PM »
Dude only get attention cause he's on aftermath and cause of that most of the big producers fuck wit him ..

Dude is maaaaddd boring to listen to.. Almost like he dont wanna rap .. its just like.. ''Imma lay my verse - get me the fuck outta the booth..''

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2007, 02:12:50 PM »
He makes alot of his songs sound the same too, boring flow, sounds like hes just forceing his words out LOL, he hasnt really made any bangers lol!!!

BigG

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2007, 02:24:23 PM »
Dude is maaaaddd boring to listen to.. Almost like he dont wanna rap .. its just like.. ''Imma lay my verse - get me the fuck outta the booth..''

haha true.  and one this pope mobile mixtape i think or his mixtape before that, there is a verse where he starts it by saying "(yawning) im so bored......" and he continues wit that boring flow he got.

But u should check out the song "I always knew" from his pope mobile mixtape.  Its a dope song.
http://www.myspace.com/sickeyesbeats

^^Check out my westcoast beats

Mo-D

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Me and Kurupt - Brisbane 2007
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2007, 04:22:52 PM »
Too many mixtapes and street albums - he has flooded the market with his music which in turn will make his album (when it finally drops) not so great and people will be sick of him.

Crooked I is on the same path with his hip hop weekly stuff - thats just my opinion though.