Author Topic: AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO AIN'T FEELING BISHOP LAMONT  (Read 5931 times)

KlevaThug

• 'G'
Re: AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO AIN'T FEELING BISHOP LAMONT
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2007, 01:28:08 PM »
Bishop is the truth!

Naw, but for reals Bishop is one of the tightest mc's out right now period. All three of his mixtapes are dope, if ya'll ain't feelin em then ya'll ain't listenin imo. You gotta keep in mind that these are just mixtapes and they're alot tighter than 90% of the bull-shit retail albums that were released this year.

I like Ya Boy aswell, but I notice that alot more people on here like Ya Boy more than Bishop. But me personally, I think Bishop is alot tighter than Ya Boy (like I said I like Ya Boy). IMO Ya Boy ain't really talking about much compared to Bishop. Yeah, Ya Boy got alot of good one liners and shit like that but Bishop is gettin off talkin about shit all of other rappers ain't.

Eitherway, I can't wait for his album to come out, I just hope Interscope doesn't fuck it up.

Gamestarr

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • P
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2007, 01:37:56 PM »
To each his own , I don't feel G Malone and Ya Boy , I prefer Bishop and Omar Cruz ... if it ever drops Bishop gonna have the best debut from a WC artist since a long time ...

and when you say a long time how long is that exactly?

Cause aint nobody toppin The Documentary when it comes to debuts... and Ya Boy shits on bishop .. Ya Boy at least sounds like he wanna rap..

So Bishop doesnt wanna rap ? Ok, thats a new one. Right now you're sounding like a plain hater.

And Documenary was a great album, near classic but was it groundbreaking ? No. They played it safe; predictable rhyme schemes, subject matter and production (every producer was basically your top MTV producers).

Now Bishops debut might be another major label driven album but so far Bishop has worked with Dre, Storch, Premo, RZA, Just Blaze, Lord Finesse, Quik, Focus, J.R., Khalil, Bink!, Battlecat, Chad Hugo, Buckwild, Hi-Tek, J.Dilla, Pete Rock, Nottz, Madlib, Black Milk, Saalam Remi. When is the last time a major label rapper had producers liek this ?

In the end it's highly possible we'll get a Swizz Beatz produced 1st single but right now, it looks like Bishop is in the making of something very unique.

Thats not what I said .. but it SOUNDS like he doesnt want to.. Game sounds like he wants to rap .. and that I, prefer over having madd skills but the laziest delivery ever.. What I need from Bishop is enthusiasm, which I personally think he lacks.. ALOT ..

And that he has all of those producers doesnt mean anything else, but hes with dre .. thats why .. And Im not hatin.. just sayin what I feel..

187_gangsta_crip

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2007, 03:10:54 PM »
hes got potential to become big, but i don't think hes good as Game or Ya Boy

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2007, 07:56:29 PM »

Bishop's two biggest themes on the mic have consistently been pussy and how f*cking hard he is. Still waiting to hear something from him which is raw and emotional and is really "real". when i hear that i will be happy for him to preach at me. Church!!! 

Bishop Lamont is more diverse (or he attempts to be more diverse) in the lyrics than just Pussy and Narcissism. 

His big niche is on being a MC and what that means.  To me, he's spits a continuation of Nas's Hip-Hop is Dead statement (whether you think it was a marketing gimmick, a genuine statement, or a combination of both.)  It seems Bishop has a very specific image on what constitutes an MC and he wants to bring that back to the mainstream.  Hence, a significant portion of his mixtapes are dedicated to addressing that issue.   He uses these concept albums to address this. 

The majority of Nigger Noize is not a reflection of racism in America but the use of that issue in comparison (as a metaphor) to the quality of hip-hop. 

Caltriot is a presentation of various aspect of a proper MC - good time, stupid music & unity.   He knows this and admits to this is various interviews I've read.

Honestly, Pope Mobile did not match my expectation.  I thought he was going to spit some deep reflection on Religion and America.  Unfortunately, he didn't.  It felt really thrown together and sloppy concerning the religious content.  It seemed more concerned on the  presentation of beats.  It continued his assault on current rappers in the game and addressed some socio-political & personal issues/stories. 

Again, he also tackles socio-political issues which I feel comes off as genuine interest but not of intense personal emotion.

As for coming off honest, sincere, emotional, or hungry I believe the following tracks he effectively delivers, in both content and flow:

Still Will Kill (OG Version)
Translator
HisStory

His flow sounds ill on Translator, No Stoppin' Carson,   HisStory, Caltroi,& Shittin' On Fools.

I do have problems with his flow, it does come off really lazy/not focused sometimes.  Also, I think he's sexist and increasing hypocritical concerning his perspective on hip-hop.  I'd also like to hear him spit some more thought provoking material with actual substance on history and socio-political issues (government, u.s history, current economic situations.)  I'm glad he's getting the fame for he's needed in the pool to provide proper balance.

Al Bundy

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2007, 07:58:45 PM »
I like Caltroit better than Pope Mobile.

maxpowers

• 'G'
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2007, 08:49:37 PM »
Its better to have someone like him come out than have lame rappers run the game.

That Ese, In S.A., From C.A.

• 'G'
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2007, 09:40:04 PM »
Its better to have someone like him come out than have lame rappers run the game.

I agree, I would RATHER have Bishop on top rather than fuckin Soulja Boy (Check the sig), but I won't be running out to get his album when it comes out either.

Philip1123

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »
Nothing special about him overall. He's not a wack rapper, but I wouldn't say he's too good also. Just another avarege rapper from the West.

Lindon

• 'G'
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2007, 03:29:46 AM »
Bishop Lamont is more diverse (or he attempts to be more diverse) in the lyrics than just Pussy and Narcissism. 

His big niche is on being a MC and what that means.  To me, he's spits a continuation of Nas's Hip-Hop is Dead statement (whether you think it was a marketing gimmick, a genuine statement, or a combination of both.)  It seems Bishop has a very specific image on what constitutes an MC and he wants to bring that back to the mainstream.  Hence, a significant portion of his mixtapes are dedicated to addressing that issue.   He uses these concept albums to address this. 

The majority of Nigger Noize is not a reflection of racism in America but the use of that issue in comparison (as a metaphor) to the quality of hip-hop. 

Caltriot is a presentation of various aspect of a proper MC - good time, stupid music & unity.   He knows this and admits to this is various interviews I've read.

Honestly, Pope Mobile did not match my expectation.  I thought he was going to spit some deep reflection on Religion and America.  Unfortunately, he didn't.  It felt really thrown together and sloppy concerning the religious content.  It seemed more concerned on the  presentation of beats.  It continued his assault on current rappers in the game and addressed some socio-political & personal issues/stories. 

Again, he also tackles socio-political issues which I feel comes off as genuine interest but not of intense personal emotion.

As for coming off honest, sincere, emotional, or hungry I believe the following tracks he effectively delivers, in both content and flow:

Still Will Kill (OG Version)
Translator
HisStory

His flow sounds ill on Translator, No Stoppin' Carson,   HisStory, Caltroi,& Shittin' On Fools.

I do have problems with his flow, it does come off really lazy/not focused sometimes.  Also, I think he's sexist and increasing hypocritical concerning his perspective on hip-hop.  I'd also like to hear him spit some more thought provoking material with actual substance on history and socio-political issues (government, u.s history, current economic situations.)  I'm glad he's getting the fame for he's needed in the pool to provide proper balance.

This is a great post and is much more measured than what i said, i think i got carried away a little!!! Major props.

You are right Bishop is more diverse than pussy and narcissism although i think his preoccupation with the place of the mc in hip-hop is pretty narcissistic and redundant. For me, another mc telling us that hip-hop is dying because not enough peops rap like him is tired and exactly not what the music needs.

As to him spitting some more thought provoking material, like a lot of rappers could, I think he should avoid this kind of statesman-like posturing with political rhetoric that is always going to be pretty weak in the context of a song and adopt a more story-telling style with something a bit closer to home. Maybe its just me but all this death of hip-hop stuff, getting caught up with mc-ing, rappers like bishop seem to spend so much of their tracks obsessing over their own and others place in hip-hop history spitting clever battle lines and not story-telling. Its like the music is turned in on itself. To me, Nas and all of them are part of the problem.       

The point you pick up on about the sexism is interesting. bishop has made and continues to make a lot of tracks that he is dissing the f*ck out of others for making. At the moment, imo he is bringing nothing particularly really new to the table, although i think you are right that he is bringing something which is currently under-represented in the mainstream of pop/hip-hop. 

One thing i would pick you up on is you said he is becoming increasingly hypocritial about his perspective on hip-hop. I'm not sure what you meant but since (and probably before) Who do I have to Kill, he has had a lot of really awful sexed up songs and unfortunately he continues with that.

I can't disagree with anything else you've said, very interesting read. By the way, Translator is my favourite Bishop track, by far. Its nothing new but all the themes you talked about, imo he does best in that track and the music doesn't get lost either!   

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2007, 01:46:41 PM »
My stance on this issue is complicated because I'm not sure where I stand.  I hold a lot of expectations to my current opinions and am continually developing my perspective on what hip-hop is and where it's going.  So, I agree with Bishop Lamont and vehemently disagree with him.

If Bishop continually provides tracks critiquing the game (hip-hop, not the artist) and does not deliver and prove he's an actual MC then he will be hypocritical and a failure as an MC.  At this current point, with all that he has released he's at the edge of walking a thin of talking shit about others but seemingly fails to deliver what he speaks against. 

I'm just going to wait to see his subsequent mixtapes; his full fledge debut release The Reformation; and his work on Detox.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2008, 04:04:42 AM »
This is a great post and is much more measured than what i said, i think i got carried away a little!!! Major props.

You are right Bishop is more diverse than pussy and narcissism although i think his preoccupation with the place of the mc in hip-hop is pretty narcissistic and redundant. For me, another mc telling us that hip-hop is dying because not enough peops rap like him is tired and exactly not what the music needs.

As to him spitting some more thought provoking material, like a lot of rappers could, I think he should avoid this kind of statesman-like posturing with political rhetoric that is always going to be pretty weak in the context of a song and adopt a more story-telling style with something a bit closer to home. Maybe its just me but all this death of hip-hop stuff, getting caught up with mc-ing, rappers like bishop seem to spend so much of their tracks obsessing over their own and others place in hip-hop history spitting clever battle lines and not story-telling. Its like the music is turned in on itself. To me, Nas and all of them are part of the problem.       

The point you pick up on about the sexism is interesting. bishop has made and continues to make a lot of tracks that he is dissing the f*ck out of others for making. At the moment, imo he is bringing nothing particularly really new to the table, although i think you are right that he is bringing something which is currently under-represented in the mainstream of pop/hip-hop. 

One thing i would pick you up on is you said he is becoming increasingly hypocritial about his perspective on hip-hop. I'm not sure what you meant but since (and probably before) Who do I have to Kill, he has had a lot of really awful sexed up songs and unfortunately he continues with that.

I can't disagree with anything else you've said, very interesting read. By the way, Translator is my favourite Bishop track, by far. Its nothing new but all the themes you talked about, imo he does best in that track and the music doesn't get lost either!   

bishop's attitude is sometimes very contradicting indeed; he constantly disses certain rap music, while his street albums follow a formula that could also be used for a "regular" mainstream album.

i'm not knocking him for trying to make it happen on a major label, but it seems to me that he keeps shooting himself in the foot with his point of view( in his music and interviews).
same thing goes for Focus.

might as well make a diss track to diss your own label while you're at it   :sleep:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 04:45:47 AM by Dre-Day - Officer of the Kill Jimmy Iovine Movement »

D-Stress

« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2008, 01:00:20 AM »
Ur Most Deff Not Tha Only 1... I'm Wit U G...
He Ain't Whack, But Then Again IMO, He Ain't Supa Dope Either...

Wizzord.

MRKLEAN

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2008, 09:36:37 PM »
LAMONT CERTAINLY COULD WRITE SUM RHYMES, HE AINT WACK BUT IM FUKN DAM WELL SURE THAT DRE COULD OF BACKED N PUT OUT A WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY BETTER ARTIST THAN HIM.  HE IS TIGHT BUT VERY OVERATED.  N AM I THA ONLY 1 WHO THINKS HE SOUNDS SOMEWHAT LIKE 50?

Booz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ookkonää Oulusta, pelekääkkö nää polliisia?
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2008, 10:33:11 PM »
LAMONT CERTAINLY COULD WRITE SUM RHYMES, HE AINT WACK BUT IM FUKN DAM WELL SURE THAT DRE COULD OF BACKED N PUT OUT A WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY BETTER ARTIST THAN HIM.  HE IS TIGHT BUT VERY OVERATED.  N AM I THA ONLY 1 WHO THINKS HE SOUNDS SOMEWHAT LIKE 50?
I see that you havent heard about Ca$his then...and stop writing with those idiotic caps.  :P

Ali Tha Great

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2008, 10:35:44 PM »

I agree, I would RATHER have Bishop on top rather than fuckin Soulja Boy (Check the sig), but I won't be running out to get his album when it comes out either.
lol...tight sig brah... 8) 8) 8)