Author Topic: Talib Kweli talks about the Blacksmith 2008 projects  (Read 78 times)

Elano

Talib Kweli talks about the Blacksmith 2008 projects
« on: January 31, 2008, 12:14:57 AM »
In 2008 Blacksmith will be speeding up, not slowing down. Many questions I had a year ago were answered, but many more were created. Liberation set an industry trend by being available for free on the 1st of 07. Eardrum debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard chart, but the record sales in the industry were way down across the board. Blacksmith TV was launched at Blacksmithtv.com and gave people an inside look at my crew. Strong Arm Steady released Deep Hearted this summer, and their new record sounds incredible. Swack You Out featuring Paul Wall is making the strip club rounds right now, and we have a whole album of heat to follow. Jean Grae and 9th Wonder got the samples replayed on Jeanius to give it a new sound, and we got clearance, so we are finally able to come with this in 2008. Look out for the video to Love Thirst, as well as the first single off of Prom Nite. Jeanie also smashed the Hot Thing Part Deux, featuring Ne-Yo, and that dropped a month ago. I have a new group with one of our favorites, Philly's own Res. It is called Idle Warship, and with artists like Graph Nobel, Saul Williams and Mark Batson involved, it will be something special. Look out for our dancehall inspired song Pull It Out, featuring Dapa Flex. Sell Off!
2007 was a great year in music, even though it wasn't a great year in record sales. I really enjoyed the Kanye and 50 "battle" and thought it was great for art and business. I am a huge fan of both of them. I particularly enjoyed Kanye's musical direction on Graduation. I have been telling people Kanye is one of the best since he went on tour with me, and no matter what haters say, he keeps proving me right. It was great to see q tip out there on the road, and I am excited about his new album. Rock the Bells was an incredible tour experience for me, and I hope it happens again. Mos Def, PE, EPMD, Pharoah Monch, Nas, Supernatural, Wu Tand and Rage Against the Machine make up some of my favorite acts and sharing the stage with them let me know I was in the right place. Common's Finding Forever was the shit. Common is the shit in Smokin Aces. The UGK album was a musical journey. I loved the tracks with Outkast, Kane and G Rap, and myself. And speaking of loving myself, hell yea I do! I think I make great music, and I'm not ashamed of it. I am a God fearing man who knows what his mission is in life, and I take that mission very seriously. I wake up every day and live this, and I give this all of me. I don't take list very seriously though, they are opinions and opinions are like assholes. But if a magazine ask me to give a list, they are using me to get people to read them. So I will use them to promote myself. If Blacksmith had released albums on Jean and Strong Arm, best believe those would be in my top ten. Some people feel like I should have put artists like Blu and Exile, Brother Ali or Little Brother in my top ten. I did not miss these projects, I actually bought these albums. I supported these great pieces of work, and I can't wait for they next projects. But stay off my you know what about a silly list. Make your own if someone ask you to, and then you can show the world how much more knowledgeable about music you are than everybody else. Meanwhile, I will congratulate myself and my friends like Com, Ye, UGK and Meshell for making some of the years best work. I have no problem being that douchebag, as I was called on my comment page. As a matter of fact, I will predict my top ten for 08 right now! lol
Jean Grae and 9th Wonder- Jeanius
Strong Arm Steady- Bars and Hammers
Jean Grae- Prom Nite
Reflection Eternal- TBA
Talib Kweli- Prisoner of Conscious
Dion- TBA
Idle Warship- Party Robot
and whatever else I put out. word.
2008 was also the year we lost two bright shining stars, among others, in Dr. Donda West and Pimp C. I shouted Dr. West out in Ms. Hill not because she was Kanye's mom, but because of who she was. I related to their relationship because my mom is an educator as well. As tragic as her passing is, I choose to celebrate the life of this incredible woman, who always had something inspirational to offer me. She has given the world way more than we can pay her back for, and we love and miss her. Pimp C is also an individual who had an incredible affect on me. Bun B became one of my good friends while Pimp C was locked up, and through our friendship, a passing familiarity with UGK's output became intimate knowledge. I began to understand that down south, the Pimp was just as revered as BIG or Pac was to NY or LA. I asked Pimp C to jump on Country Cousins a month after he released from prison, and he was so gracious in his response. He showed me a huge amount of respect based on my friendship with Bun, and always had a jewel for me when I would see him out. Rest in peace soldier.
I have done a lot of work, but there is so much more to do. I fell off with the myspace messages and updates because the promotion for Eardrum got in the way, but I am back in effect, and will be in better touch. I will also be checking in at Facebook, Talibkweli.com and Okayplayer.com. Look out for my blog about shooting the Hostile Gospel video in Nigeria on MTV.com next week, and check out Blacksmithtv.com as well. The year of the Blacksmith is not defined by a calendar so we still in it. Holla at your folks! Talib Kweli, MCEO

Invincible

Re: Talib Kweli talks about the Blacksmith 2008 projects
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 07:42:57 AM »
All i want out of that list Is the Reflection Eternal and Dion albums. I'm not to fussed about a new solo album but he has to get a new RE album in first.