Author Topic: Biggie rating West Coast rappers?  (Read 3161 times)

Snoopafly-1986

Re: Biggie rating West Coast rappers?
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2008, 10:25:37 AM »
Hey Chad I remember looking over this book at a bookstore a while back, good read,
also do you remember Moe Dee had his own book "50 greatest MCs' or something like that,
I remember reading it and he had Kurupt in it said some good things about him,
I think he was ranked like #37 or some shit just trying to remember

Naaahh donīt remember that book,heīs ranked #37?
Not sure where I would rank Kurupt objectivly myself....

That Kool Mo Dee book is pretty good,
Kurupt at 39, 2pac at 13, Ice Cube at 18, Ras Kass at 21, Xzibit at 27, Snoop at 33, Ice T at 35, Mack 10 at 49

Thanx for the info,can you post the whole list? and maybe some scans?

1. Melle Mel
2. Rakim
3. Krs-One
4. Big Daddy Kane
5. Kool Mo Dee
6. Grandmaster Caz
7. LL Cool J
8. Chuck D
9. Notorious BIG
10. Lauryn Hill
11. Nas
12. Queen Latifah
13. Tupac
14. Kool G Rap
15. Jay-Z
16. Treach
17. Method Man
18. Ice Cube
19. MC Lyte
20. Redman
21. Ras Kass
22. GZA
23. Will Smith
24. Busta Rhymes
25. Heavy D
26. Xzibit
27. Common
28. Pharoahe Monch
29. Black Thought
30. Scarface
31. Kurtis Blow
32. Run
33. Snoop Dogg
34. Guru
35. Ice-T
36. Doug E Fresh
37. Keith Murray
38. Mystikal
39. Kurupt
40. Slick Rick
41. Big Pun
42. Lil Kim
43. MC Shan
44. Craig Mack
45. Jeru The Damaja
46. Fat Joe
47. Spoonie Gee
48. Foxy Brown
49. Mack 10
50. Just-Ice

At the time the book came out, Eminem had only just blown, so Kool Mo Dee was saying it was too early to tell with him and some other dudes that had just come out. I thought the list was pretty good, some odd choices (Slick Rick way down at the 40???), but the stuff written about each is interesting, worth getting the book IMO

props but wack list dude ranks himself 5th :-\

Kurupt at 39? dude is top 10 MC at least top 20

LOL at Foxy Brown being on that list

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2008, 12:11:53 PM »

Yeah, lol at ranking himself 5th, real objective opinion there!

Kurupt wouldn't be top 10 though, come on, he's dope, but there's easily 10 MCs who HAVE to come before simply because they invented half the shit he and everyone else is doing and did it at a higher level, like Rakim, KRS, BDK, G Rap, Slick Rick, etc

Kurupt kind of fell off too, but when he was dope I think he was pretty high up, like in the league of Pharoahe Monch, Chino XL, Ras Kass, etc

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2008, 12:24:22 PM »

Yeah, lol at ranking himself 5th, real objective opinion there!

Kurupt wouldn't be top 10 though, come on, he's dope, but there's easily 10 MCs who HAVE to come before simply because they invented half the shit he and everyone else is doing and did it at a higher level, like Rakim, KRS, BDK, G Rap, Slick Rick, etc

Kurupt kind of fell off too, but when he was dope I think he was pretty high up, like in the league of Pharoahe Monch, Chino XL, Ras Kass, etc

I respect dudes opinion cause he is an OG and been in the game for a long time

I admit I havent heard all these 50 rappers since I started listening to rap in 1999

but I know Mystikal is not better than Kurupt no way I cannot stand that guy

and Big Pun was a beast don't understand his low ranking either :-\

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2008, 12:53:18 PM »

I respect dudes opinion cause he is an OG and been in the game for a long time

I admit I havent heard all these 50 rappers since I started listening to rap in 1999

but I know Mystikal is not better than Kurupt no way I cannot stand that guy

and Big Pun was a beast don't understand his low ranking either :-\

Yeah, I agree on those - he put a few crazy ones in there... and Lady of Rage would kill all those female MCs!

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2008, 01:59:23 PM »
Is the book and list meant to be objective?

Yeah, he has a rating system to break the whole thing down 'scientifically', though obviously stuff like this is never really objective

HEC

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2008, 09:19:35 AM »
I would say Kurupt was definitely a top 10 MC in the mid 90's, but you don't rate someone in a specific time period, I guess he was rating him up to 2002 or something and by then he had fallen off a bit, but from what I remember reading in the book he does say that he is not a fan of gangsta rap but he is a fan of lyrical MCs and that is why he put him in there and specifically mentions the track "Fresh" from Kuruption as an example of his lyrcism

love33

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2008, 12:40:56 PM »
Kurupt says on a track he did with Bigg Gipp at the beginning of the song about Biggie calling him the best rapper in the Westcoast.  I think B.I.G. is right, Too Short and Kurupt are the best rappers in that era along with Tupac, Snoop, and WSC.

He wasn't a fan of style changing according to what he said, I wonder what he would think of rap today with everyone changing their style in order to keep up.  We never would have ever imagined Snoop doing a record like "Sexual Seduction" when he was on Death Row Records.  Too Short has done a bunch of southern collaborations with Lil Jon.

The whole situation is that at the end of the day you have to eat, and the media won't play the traditional 90's g-funk hardcore westcoast bangers on television anymore.  The videos are even way watered down.  So the artists are forced to adjust if they want to eat.  So instead of hearing a "Bitches Ain't Shit" Snoop Dogg we hear "Sexual Seduction" with him on there singing.

Rap is watered down now because of the media, not the artists.  The artists gotta eat.  Wonder what kind of records Biggie would be making in this era of artists being handcuffed.

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »
good topic... most rappers i think would be scared or just too respectful to put out their raw opinions of other rappers out there like this

that list is wack though, lol @ mystikal's rating. did he evne have a category for flow?

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2008, 03:51:23 PM »
unless I counted wrong there were only 7 west coast MCs on that list

Pac
Cube
Ras Kass
Xzibit
Snoop
Icet
Kurupt

have not heard anything from ICEt was he that good to be better than Kurupt :-\

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2008, 04:48:12 PM »
unless I counted wrong there were only 7 west coast MCs on that list

Pac
Cube
Ras Kass
Xzibit
Snoop
Icet
Kurupt

have not heard anything from ICEt was he that good to be better than Kurupt :-\

Ice-T is a "storyteller" type of rapper while Kurupt is "MC",wordplay and delivery is his strengh.
Where's WC,Ren,RBX,D.O.C etc.?

props Chad I know he is a OG but never heard his music

I guess this guy don't like too much west coast rap not to have all those other guys you mentioned on his list :-\

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2008, 05:03:59 PM »
Ice-T got some classics,no doubt about that...
Pure technical I would rate Kurupt WAY higher on the list. But he probably have his reasons,so it would cool if we could get some scans of the pages about the West Coast rappers.

yeah some scans would be dope to see his reasons

hopefully UCC put some up he gave some good info

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2008, 05:16:09 AM »
Pure technical I would rate Kurupt WAY higher on the list. But he probably have his reasons,so it would cool if we could get some scans of the pages about the West Coast rappers.

Sorry guys, don't gots no scanner  :(

With Kurupt he basically says that he's generally not a fan of gangsta rap, and the lack of content, but Kurupt is really lyrical with it. He also says Kurupt has a great vocabulary and he has great battle skills

I think West Coast MCs come off badly sometimes because if they have a more melodic flow, and simpler rhymes (which often sounds just as dope I think, as it's just a different style), then it won't seem as complex as some of the East Coast cats out there. Also the content of west coast often glorifies guns, bitches, money, etc, and East Coast have a lot of people who either talk about different things or talk about that stuff but not glorifying it (though that's more just stereotypical view of west coast rappers, seeing as west coast also has its pharcydes, dilated peoples, J5, etc). East coast also have all the pioneers of pretty much every style - rakim, g rap, big daddy kane, slick rick, krs one, etc etc

The book is worth buying IMO, you can probably get it second hand over amazon

kuruptDPG

« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2008, 05:27:53 AM »
sory if this is obv but that lsit wit 50 raprs on it, they way kurupt is spelt = corrupt lol, is that biggies list?

Shango

« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2008, 07:03:22 AM »
its kool moe dee's list

Chad Vader

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2008, 07:07:17 AM »

Sorry guys, don't gots no scanner  :(

Donīt you have a digital camera? or a cell phone with camera,thatīs what I use  ;)

With Kurupt he basically says that he's generally not a fan of gangsta rap, and the lack of content, but Kurupt is really lyrical with it. He also says Kurupt has a great vocabulary and he has great battle skills

Sure I agree with that,but I value delivery and wordplay just as much as content,if not more.
But thatīs a personal preference you know,like I take The D.O.C and Ren over Cube...
So as I said before pure technical I would rate Kurupt HIGHER.

I think West Coast MCs come off badly sometimes because if they have a more melodic flow,
and simpler rhymes (which often sounds just as dope I think, as it's just a different style),
then it won't seem as complex as some of the East Coast cats out there.
Also the content of west coast often glorifies guns, bitches, money, etc, and East Coast have a lot of people who either talk about different things or talk about that stuff but not glorifying it (though that's more just stereotypical view of west coast rappers, seeing as west coast also has its pharcydes, dilated peoples, J5, etc).
East coast also have all the pioneers of pretty much every style - rakim, g rap, big daddy kane, slick rick, krs one, etc etc

Like Mac Dre says;
It not what you say,itīs how you say it.....

The book is worth buying IMO, you can probably get it second hand over amazon

Thanx I think Iīll pick this up