Author Topic: What Would Doctor King Say If He Were an Emcee Today?  (Read 113 times)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
What Would Doctor King Say If He Were an Emcee Today?
« on: January 21, 2008, 10:03:30 AM »
From Okayplayer.com

Rhymefest's Dream

Judging by the current state of affairs and our music and culture, sometimes I find myself pondering this: what would Dr. King say if he was an emcee today? In fact, he'd probably sound a little something like this:

"I have a dream. A dream that one day little Soulja Boys and Soulja Girls can coexist side by side on commercial radio and BET with the likes of Rhymefest and Little Brother. I have a dream that conscious rappers will wakeup and all work together as a cohesive unit that repels the forces of ignorance. No, not for the sake of crushing all ignorance. For Lil' Boosie has his place in this world! However, it is high time he be balanced out by Sean Price who can wipe himself down just as effectively if given the opportunity!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I say to you that these labels have given these rappers an advance that has come back marked insufficient funds! I have a dream that one day the children of Geto Boy South can truly coexist with the offspring of Public Enemy East—which would create a West Coast where you could feel safe with your chain after the Soul Train Awards. Thereby making the sun shine a little brighter the next day.

I have a dream that one day Down South rappers, radio, and DJs will stop condoning mediocrity, acting as if it is just expression. No my friends. Wackness is just wackness, no matter how you slice it. We must lift our brothers up in lyric and spirit. Not as a way to beat them down, but as a way to help them up. We must stop condoning female emcees that act anything other than Lauryn Hill, Queen Latifah, or MC Lyte-ish. Failure to do this will surely result in the death of our craft.

I have a dream that one day fans will judge an artist not by his first week unit sales, but by the content of his album. A dream that the music consumer will not steal music with the belief that we as artists can afford it, and they as thieves deserve it. Especially if said artist is from the Midwest! ((wink wink)) Dreams are not meant to live only when you sleep, but are possible realizations in our conscious lives. We must stop being fearful as artists, record execs, and fans. For fear is false emotions that appear to be real!
We must combat the lie that people don't want nutrition in their entertainment diet. For I declare to you today that Talib Kweli had a bigger first week than Swizz Beats! Now how important is the money in the bank?

Common's Finding Forever sold more than when Huey Pop, Locked, and Dropped it, but you wouldn't know that judging by radio airplay. There is a reason Kanye sold more records than 50 Cent. My brothers and sisters, true art cannot be defeated.

While we love all of our brothers and sisters in hip hop, and we wish them all the best, we must also realize that in 2008 we have been left with a sore need for positive balance. If these changes in our perceptions and attitudes are not implemented immediately then I regret to inform you that our beloved hip hop will be relegated to the same obscure dungeon as blues and jazz.

However, we can join forces---Midwest, Down South, West Coast, and East Coast…hold each other to high standards of lyricism, production, and stage performance. Stop letting that A&R who is a mountain climber that plays an electric guitar tell YOU what the hood wants, and make that conscious decision to give the people what they need.

On this day we will stand in a cipher old school and new school alike and spit in those famous words of Dynomite to all of those who are left behind us you a soft-ass nigga, you a mark, you a gump. Fuckin lame, you a coward, you a punk, you a chuuump!
I have a dream."

Get ready for the Revolution. El Che!

Peace,

Rhymefest a/k/a El Che

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
Re: What Would Doctor King Say If He Were an Emcee Today?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 02:49:12 PM »
That was tight, propz man.

westsiderider323

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 03:04:23 PM »
chuuuuch
+1

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 03:41:09 PM »
rhymefest has some good sh*t to say:

"...I know more real niggaz at Uhaul than haul crack..."