Author Topic: Mayor Diamold Joe Quimby... I mean Ted Kennedy... endorses Obama  (Read 778 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside

Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., left, accepts the support of Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., center, and Rep. Patrick Kennedy, D-R.I., right.

Sen. Kennedy endorses Barack Obama
Democratic elder statesman plans to campaign for candidate

WASHINGTON - Two generations of Kennedys - the Democratic Party's best known political family - endorsed Barack Obama for president on Monday, with Sen. Edward M. Kennedy calling him a "man with extraordinary gifts of leadership and character," a worthy heir to his assassinated brother.

"I feel change in the air," Kennedy said in remarks salted with scarcely veiled criticism of Obama's chief rival for the nomination, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, as well as her husband, the former president.

"I have marveled at his grit and grace," he said of the man a full generation younger than he is.

Kennedy's endorsement was ardently sought by all three of the remaining presidential contenders, and he delivered it at a pivotal time in the race. A liberal lion in his fifth decade in the Senate, the Massachusetts senator is in a position to help Obama court Hispanic voters as well as rank-and-file members of labor unions, two key elements of the Democratic Party.

He is expected to campaign actively for Obama in the days before a string of delegate-rich primaries and caucuses across 24 states on Feb. 5, beginning later this week in Arizona, New Mexico and California.

The senator made his comments at a crowded campaign rally that took on the appearances of a Kennedy family embrace of Obama, who sat smiling as he heard their praise.

He was introduced by Caroline Kennedy, daughter of the late president, who said Obama "offers that same sense of hope and inspiration" as did her father. Rep. Patrick Kennedy also endorsed Obama from the stage before a boisterous crowd at American University.

In his own remarks, Sen. Kennedy sought one by one to rebut many of the arguments leveled by Obama's critics.

"From the beginning, he opposed the war in Iraq. And let no one deny that truth," he said, an obvious reference to former President Clinton's statement that Obama's early anti-war stance was a "fairy tale."

"With Barack Obama, we will turn the page on the old politics of misrepresentation and distortion.

"With Barack Obama we will close the book on the old politics of race against race, gender against gender, ethnic group against ethnic group, and straight against gay," Kennedy said.

The Massachusetts senator had remained on the sideline of the presidential campaign for months, saying he was friends with Obama, Clinton and former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards, as well as several Senate colleagues who are no longer in the race.

Lately, according to several associates, Kennedy became angered with what he viewed as racially divisive comments by Bill Clinton. Nearly two weeks ago, he played a personal role in arranging a brief truce between the Clintons and Obama on the issue.

Kennedy refers only sparingly to his assassinated brothers, John and Robert, in his public remarks, and his endorsement of Obama was cast in terms that aides said was unusually personal.

"There was another time, when another young candidate was running for president and challenging America to cross a new frontier. He faced criticism from the preceding Democratic president, who was widely respected in the party," Kennedy said, referring to Harry S. Truman.

"And John Kennedy replied, 'The world is changing. The old ways will not do. ... It is time for a new generation of leadership.

"So it is with Barack Obama," he added.

Kennedy began his remarks by paying tribute to Sen. Clinton's advocacy for issues such as health care and women's rights. "Whoever is our nominee will have my enthusiastic support," he said.

But he quickly pivoted to a strong endorsement of Obama, whom he said "has extraordinary gifts of leadership and character, matched to the extraordinary demands of this moment in history."

"I believe that a wave of change is moving across America," Kennedy said.

Also Monday, Obama picked up the endorsement of author Toni Morrison, who read from her work at Bill Clinton's first inauguration and once labeled him the "first black president." Morrison said she has admired Hillary Clinton for years because of her knowledge and mastery of politics, but cited Obama's "creative imagination which coupled with brilliance equals wisdom."

Morrison said her endorsement had little to do with Obama's race - he is the son of a black father from Kenya and a white mother from Kansas - but rather his personal gifts.

VOTE QUIMBY
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 12:38:07 PM by M Dogg »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Mayor Diamold Joe Quimby... I mean Ted Kennedy... endorses Obama
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 12:38:44 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Eawu8pQxRI&amp;rel=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0Eawu8pQxRI&amp;rel=1</a>

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 04:37:25 PM »
Despite of his whatever history people be talking about..i believe he will stay true to his words about changing.  Probably won't change everything..but i got good feeling from him.
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 06:00:44 AM »

An endorsement from Ted Kennedy is nothing to be proud of.  The guy is a coward and just as guilty of murder as O.J. was.  The fact that he continues to drink is a spit into the face of this woman.

http://www.ytedk.com/chappindex.htm

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 02:24:20 PM »
I have been to that exact spot on the vineyard. . U can only go to chappaqidick by ferry of of the vineyards main island. It is like one big beach. Went to a huge party on that beach before.

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 04:16:51 PM »
Too bad your Mexican bretheren are all going to vote for Hilary, M Dogg.

Mexicans will always side with whites over blacks.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 04:48:47 PM »

So true my Neo-Con friend. BUT, the Kennedy card is huge for us. We love the Kennedy's. So we'll see.

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:17:08 PM »

So true my Neo-Con friend. BUT, the Kennedy card is huge for us. We love the Kennedy's. So we'll see.

Do you love that the Robert Kennedy side of the family is all voting for Hillary? 

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 09:34:17 PM »

Do you love that the Robert Kennedy side of the family is all voting for Hillary? 

Kennedy's kids... that's cool... but RFK's wife is supporting Barack. Remember, it's hard for a black man to get the Latino vote, but Barack is for driver's license for undoctumented, and for the Dream Act, which Hillary is not and if Obama can advertise those differences on Spanish media, along with the Kennedy's and his role in helping with the immigration bill, then he could come close to breaking through to the Latino community.

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 02:51:07 PM »
Mexicans are too racist, they will never vote for a black man.

And thanks for educating me of Obama's stances on illegal immigration. I honestly didn't know that about him and I am now completely disgusted.

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 03:02:18 PM »
Why do Mexicans like the Kennedys? Just because they are Catholic?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 03:47:23 PM »
I think nowadays the population of hispanics in America is so high that you basically have to be in favor of immigration to get elected. People don't have to really care about blacks, because they are going to vote for a democrat no matter what. But with hispanics, the one who is more in favor of people entering the country randomly and getting favors will get many votes.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 05:19:53 PM »

JFK Jackie Kennedy make a commercial in perfect Spanish in 1960, and then later RFK marches with Caser Chavez before running for president. The Kennedy's have longed champion immigration reform, and helped Latino's have an easy time assimulating into American culture. My dad, though born in the US, is very much a fan of the Kennedy's, and to this day talks of Robert Kennedy as his hero.

Joseph Bonanno

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • My library = triller than yours
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 05:25:57 PM »

JFK Jackie Kennedy make a commercial in perfect Spanish in 1960, and then later RFK marches with Caser Chavez before running for president. The Kennedy's have longed champion immigration reform, and helped Latino's have an easy time assimulating into American culture. My dad, though born in the US, is very much a fan of the Kennedy's, and to this day talks of Robert Kennedy as his hero.

shut up dude, dont be actin like you speak for all mexicans.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 05:49:24 PM »

shut up dude, dont be actin like you speak for all mexicans.

Dude shut up. Look at the majority. You act like RFK wasn't a huge factor to the Latinos of the 60's, and you act like JFK wasn't popular, and you act like immigration is not a factor. At the Latino held debate last year, almost every question was about immigration. So I not only speak as a Latino, but as someone who follows this and sees treads as if I was an outsider. I grew up with RKF on the wall next to a Mary candle, with an Uncle who got the family kicked out of the labor camp because he joined the union before I was born and stories of Ceasar Chavez, and my grandma speaking of East L.A. during the depression. I may not speak for all Latinos, but I have a huge shared experience with many of the issues that effected Latinos in the U.S., and I can step back and see where my community is at.