Author Topic: dead rappers....and what you feel about their legacy  (Read 1329 times)

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
dead rappers....and what you feel about their legacy
« on: February 01, 2008, 02:19:32 PM »
i had a heated debate with one of my co workers today about dead rappers. i feel, after 2pac people automatically want to martyr and crown every rapper that's died the GOAT or a LEGEND. this has been happening since the 60's as well in rock music but i think hip hop takes it to another level. but i just feel that a lot of this is undeserved and there's many rappers out there who are ALIVE who i think deserve this shine more than a couple of dead rappers.

anyways here's what i feel about these rappers and their legacies

1. pac.........all around he's probably the Greatest rapper of all time when you talk about influence, intelligence, substance, style, and just over quality. i don't think his death gives his legacy an undeserved  boost

2. biggie.......all around he's one of the greatest, i don't think his death gives his legacy an undeserved boost, but i think at TIMES it teeters on it. i'm not too confident, given he kept working with puffy, he would have stayed as consistant as 2pac

3. eazy e.......this is the dude who single handedly got me interested in music in the first place, probably my first favorite rapper, i love everything i've heard from him minus like 1 album.  legend? MOST definately! does his death give his legacy an undeserved boost? yes and no.  yes because he's not much of a rapper and i don't think he belongs on a greatest of all time list. however like puffy and russel simmons he's an important figure . BUT i think the way he died goes ignored and isn't as appreciated as much in the hip hop community. a community who's consumers are largely african american, one of the highest risks of the HIV viris. i feel this isn't looked at enough.

4. big pun......dude was a nice rapper. he was even a funny rapper too, a great guy. however.......i think his death is the point i'd start saying people started giving away too much credit. yes , i think his death gives his legacy too much undeserved credit. i'd never put him on an all time list. he's a good rapper, but he's not as important to the genre as people make him out to be.

5. ODB ........it's ODB hip hops resident crack head. i don't think anyone gives him MORE credit now than they did before because ODB was always a character like Flava Flav, but like eazy e. he's remembered more for his character than THE way he died, or what lead to it. i think this should be appreciated more

6. BIG L.....okay here's another example of a great rapper who i think is one of the better rappers overall , but i think gets a little bit too much credit. two albums....i don't know . like biggie i'm a little unconfident he would have stayed as consistant to keep up that steam. love the guy, but on the real....when i see people put him above pac, rakim, cube, KRS, Chuck, ect......his death  gives his legacy more credit than it deserves, because i know people wouldn't be saying that had he been alive

7. Pimp C.....this one is still to be determined as he was considered a legend BEFORE his death. and rightfully so. no the most skilled rapper but i think influence counts for a lot. but i'd hope people won't start calling him one of the greatest of all time , because he truely isn't. the jury is still out on the how his death affects his legacy.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

REGIME MOB 510

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: dead rappers....and what you feel about their legacy
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 02:30:27 PM »
2pac would be pissed if he saw the hip hop game today because he was trying to take it further and sell more albums.  He was also an activist so i think he would have left his mark on the world in a big way for the betterment of African American people, and that was cut short with his death.  The people were robbed of a leader when 2pac died.

Biggie is my favorite rapper because of "dead wrong", that song to me is the greatest rap song EVER made, and Biggie IS THE KING OF NEW YORK PERIOD!!!

Big L should receive all the credit for his work because he was a talented rapper so I don't take anything from him.  Even if he only put out 2 albums, we don't know what he was capable of making as far as his music ability.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 02:34:37 PM »
big l is sick, but i dont think his death did anything.....

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 02:36:48 PM »
The only thang I don't like is when people say this shit, 'If Tupac or Biggie was alive, the rap game wouldn't be like it is now'. I don't believe or agree wit that shit at all.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 02:37:58 PM »

he was sick. scary sick. but what's even more sick (bad sick) is people putting him on a pedistool, which a lot of east coast cats do, that he never belonged on. but because he died, he's automatically put over nas . i don't like seeing that.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 03:07:33 PM »

Word, just cuz he's dead doesnt mean shit. Id put him right beside biggie and pac regardless. Big L was fuckin crazy on the mic and i think if he wouldnt of got shot he woulda put out another couple classic albums

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 03:09:47 PM »
ya tripping Big L was sick

herpes

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 03:37:06 PM »

he was sick. scary sick. but what's even more sick (bad sick) is people putting him on a pedistool, which a lot of east coast cats do, that he never belonged on. but because he died, he's automatically put over nas . i don't like seeing that.

East Coast cats put L on a high pedestal but you dont seeing too many putting him above Nas.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 04:21:26 PM »

East Coast cats put L on a high pedestal but you dont seeing too many putting him above Nas.

Big L is in my top5 East Coast rappers, and I don't consider myself an "East Coast Cat"

kemizt

Lunatic

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 05:01:26 PM »
7. Pimp C.....this one is still to be determined as he was considered a legend BEFORE his death. and rightfully so. no the most skilled rapper but i think influence counts for a lot. but i'd hope people won't start calling him one of the greatest of all time , because he truely isn't. the jury is still out on the how his death affects his legacy.
indeed a legend before his death. lyrically he wasnt amazing, but u gotta count his mic presence, flow & swagger. I don't think many rappers at ALL have ever had the type of swagger Pimp C had. One of the greatest ever? no. one of the greatest in the south ever and one of the most influential figures to his coast? yes.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

westsiderider323

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 05:44:39 PM »
Pun wuz sick az fuck

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 11:23:55 PM »
The only thang I don't like is when people say this shit, 'If Tupac or Biggie was alive, the rap game wouldn't be like it is now'. I don't believe or agree wit that shit at all.

id love to know though. would pac and biggie diss the fuck outta ppl like soulja boy? so bad he never wanted to look at a mic again lol. i mean it surely would be different, but unfortunatley were never gunna find out. :'(

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 11:52:29 PM »
What About Mausberg?
I mean This Dude was basicaly "Game" Before Game
IMO, He Was Gonna be The next To Blow!!

I Guess he's The West's version of The Big L Scene, an Imagine what could have Been.. :'(

Sparegeez

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 12:16:07 AM »
Most kids at my schools had no fucking idea who Mac Dre was until they heard he died.

Let's Get Down

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Kane Beatz Movement - The Building Records
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 02:00:11 AM »

Big L is in my top5 East Coast rappers, and I don't consider myself an "East Coast Cat"

best rapper ever imo