Author Topic: Munich Air Disaster February 6th 1958 - 50 Years on  (Read 198 times)

KURUPTION-81

Munich Air Disaster February 6th 1958 - 50 Years on
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:43:46 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com//v/7SMLcO9xnSU&amp;autoplay=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com//v/7SMLcO9xnSU&amp;autoplay=0</a>

On the night of 6th February 1958, Munich-Riem airport was engulfed by a snow storm, though it was not heavy enough to prevent flights taking off and landing.

Manchester United had touched down at Munich on British European Airways Flight 609 to refuel, on the way back from Yugoslavia where the Busby Babes had drawn 3-3 with Red Star Belgrade (winning 5-4 on aggregate).

When it came to taking off again, the pilot Captain James Thain twice aborted due to engine surging but was convinced the problem had been solved.

He made a third attempt only for Flight 609 to overshoot the runway, strike an empty house, veer into another building and burst into flames. Of the 44 passengers, 23 died - 21 at the scene and two later from injuries sustained in the crash.

Players Killed

Geoff Bent
Roger Byrne
Eddie Colman
Duncan Edwards
Mark Jones
David Pegg
Tommy Taylor
Liam (Billy) Whelan

Journalists Killed

Alf Clarke
Don Davies
George Follows
Tom Jackson
Archie Ledbrooke
Henry Rose
Eric Thompson
Frank Swift - Former Manchester City Goal Keeper

Also killed

Walter Crickmer - club secretary who was in charge of the side during the war.
Bert Whalley - Chief Coach. Former left-half at Old Trafford.
Tom Curry - Trainer. Joined United in mid-30s and regarded by Matt Busby as "best trainer in Britain.''
Capt Kenneth Rayment - Co-Pilot
Bela Miklos - Travel Agent
Willie Satinoff - Supporter
Tom Cable - Steward

Survivors

MUFC Players/Staff:
Matt Busby (Manager)
Johnny Berry
Jackie Blanchflower
Bobby Charlton
Bill Foulkes
Harry Gregg
Ken Morgans
Albert Scanlon
Dennis Viollet
Ray Wood

Journalist
Frank Taylor

Photographers
Peter Howard
Ted Ellyard

Passengers
Mrs Vera Lukic
Mrs Lukic's baby
Mrs Miklos - wife of travel agent who arranged trip
Mr B Tomasevic

Crew
James Thain - Captain
Rosemary Cheverton - Stewardess
Margaret Bellis - Stewardess
George William Rodgers - Radio Officer

50 years on

This week United will commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Munich air crash , a  number of events have been organised for both the actual day of the anniversary – Wednesday 6 February – and Sunday 10 February when the Reds play Manchester City at Old Trafford.

The centrepiece of the commemorations will be the creation of a free, permanent exhibition of the Busby Babes in the South Stand tunnel – to be renamed Munich Tunnel – which will be unveiled on Wednesday.

Also taking place that day is a special memorial service conducted by club chaplain Reverend John Boyers in the Manchester Suite to coincide with the time of crash in 1958 at 3.04pm

Uniteds' closest home match to the anniversary is on 10 February against Manchester City, who provided considerable support and assistance in the immediate aftermath of the crash and whose former goalkeeper, Frank Swift, a journalist on the ill-fated flight, died in the wreckage.

The Premier League has agreed to set aside its usual rules on kit design to allow the United team to wear a special 1950s-style kit in the match, free from sponsorship and numbered 1 to 11. The kit is a one-off and will not be available for purchase. All fans present at the 10 February game will receive a memento of the occasion.

The United players will also ditch their fancy boots as a tribute to the Munich air disaster victims.  Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo and Rio Ferdinand have all asked their sponsors for black boots to mark the 50th anniversary of the tragedy. A United source said: "It was the players idea. They are aware of the significance of this game."

City's shirt sponsors and manufacturer have agreed that their branding should be removed from the kit worn in the match. Producing a unique kit that will incorporate a black ribbon of remembrance is just one of several initiatives that City have adopted after lengthy discussions with their own fans and several meetings with United counterparts to develop ideas.

A minute’s silence will be held prior to kick-off and all fans in attendance will receive a memento of the occasion.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Sweet & Tender Hooligan

Re: Munich Air Disaster February 6th 1958 - 50 Years on
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 12:55:57 PM »
RIP. Have you read Bobby Charlton's book, the one that just came out recently? Looks like good reading, gona pick it up.

The Maestro

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 06:33:40 AM »
No but my dad is reading it at the mo, im gonna borrow it once he has finished.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 07:23:19 AM »
Duncan Edwards Manchester Uniteds Greatest Ever Player

It is hard to describe just how good someone was, without having seen him play. All you can do is present the facts and leave the descriptions to people who know.

So when Bobby Charlton, World Cup and European Cup winner, describes someone as faultless then you start to get an idea of Duncan Edwards' greatness.

"He was my hero," Charlton told BBC Sport.

Charlton and Edwards were more than just members of the famed Busby Babes, they were best friends.

Edwards may have been just one year older than Charlton, but England's record goalscorer always felt in the shadow of his mate from Dudley.

Both were on a plane heading out of Munich on 6 February, 1958 along with the rest of the Manchester United squad following an earlier European fixture against Red Star in Belgrade.

On its third attempt to take off from an ice-covered runway Flight 609 crashed killing 23 of the 44 passengers on board.

Charlton survived the Munich air disaster, Edwards did not and with his death English football lost a truly prestigious talent.

Those who saw Edwards play say that if he had not died young, he would have gone on to become one of the all-time footballing greats, a statement supported by Charlton.

Charlton's opinion counts more than most. He played against Pele and Franz Beckenbauer. He played with George Best, Denis Law and England's World Cup winning captain Bobby Moore. But to Charlton, Edwards was king.

"Duncan was incomparable," said Charlton.

"He was such a talent, I always felt inferior to him.

"I feel terrible trying to explain to people just how good he was, his death was the biggest single tragedy ever to happen to Manchester United and English football.

"I always felt I could compare well with any player - except Duncan. He didn't have a fault with his game."

Edwards was born in Dudley on 1 October 1936. On his 16th birthday he signed for Manchester United. It is said he impressed one scout so much that he needed just 10 minutes of watching the young wing-half (defensive midfielder) to recommend him to Manchester United manager Sir Matt Busby.

He made his debut against Cardiff City 185 days later but at that stage he had already represented England school-boys and was being tipped for full honours.

At the age of 18 years and 183 days he became England's youngest post-war debutant, making his first appearance for his country against Scotland, and went on to win just 18 caps, scoring five goals.

By the time he reached his 21st birthday, he had won two League championships, an FA Cup finalists medals and three FA Youth Cup winners' medals.

Edwards was adored and respected all over the world, many say that had he not died on 6 February, 1958 it would have been him who went on to captain England to World Cup glory in 1966.

Instead that honour went to Bobby Moore who paid tribute to Edwards in his autobiography before his own death in 1993: "I once played truant from school to watch Duncan play at White Hart Lane. There will never be another player like him."

According to those who played alongside and against Duncan Edwards on a football field, he was the 'complete footballer'.

He had unrivalled stamina and could have run for hours. He could shoot powerfully with either foot, was dominant in the air, was strong in the tackle, and was a superb passer of the ball.

Think of Wayne Rooney's shot, Nemanja Vidic in the air, Roy Keane's tackle and Paul Scholes' pass and then you had Edwards.

"I totally believe he was the best player I ever saw or am likely to see," said Charlton.

His style as a player was often described as unique but it was his immense physical strength coupled with superb ball control and touch. Edwards was a man in a boy's body and when he spoke others listened, commanding respect despite his young age.

Edwards had a reputation as a quiet-mannered man who shunned publicity and the limelight, he just loved playing football.

Edwards died on 21 February in a Munich hospital, 15 days after the crash, unable to recover from the multiple injuries he suffered in the accident. He was only 21.

He became the eighth member of the Busby Babes to die as a result of the crash. Tommy Taylor, Roger Byrne, David Pegg, Eddie Colman, Liam Whelan, Geoff Bent, Mark Jones the other members of the Manchester United squad to die.

Five days later his body returned home to England where he was buried at a Dudley cemetery.

While it is difficult to predict how good Edwards could have been his legacy will long be debated, testament to his greatness, but for Charlton there is no argument. Edwards will always be the best.

"Duncan Edwards I unhesitatingly say was the best player I ever played with," concluded Charlton.

"I never thought I could be as good as him. Never. Never."

Adam Donnelly

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WYTHENSHAWE
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 07:39:56 AM »
I wonder if United will give the families of those who died some money this time

I remember watching one of the survivours talking about how he had to go in the club shop and buy a picture of his team mates beacause United gave him fuck all.

That's what does my head in about United and what the fuck is going on with the AIG logo on that tribute?

R.I.P To those who died but United need to sort it out.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 07:57:33 AM »
Yeah the AIG thing is a disgrace, i know they paid for it but there is no need to put there logo on it. They might aswell just start advertising on coffins.

The club has been contacted about it many times but wont remove it, it got paintballed the other week. Also there was a visit to AIG's offices in manchester which resulted in some grafitti which made there feelings clear.

You going to the game ?

bez

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 08:01:21 AM »
RIP. Everyone of them, horrible way to go.

Whats wrong with AIG being put on it?

If it was Everton I wouldnt mind Chang being somewhere on it. Whats the big deal? You said yourself, they paid for it.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 08:06:48 AM »
RIP. Everyone of them, horrible way to go.

Whats wrong with AIG being put on it?

If it was Everton I wouldnt mind Chang being somewhere on it. Whats the big deal? You said yourself, they paid for it.

They did pay for it but its a memorial, they shouldnt be advertising there business on it. They had nothing to do with the busby babes.

When people look at it they should be remembering the busby babes not noticing AIG and thinking maybe i should get insurane with them.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 08:11:34 AM »
Citys Kit

Adam Donnelly

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WYTHENSHAWE
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 04:34:46 PM »
No im not going mate

Hope we keep to the minute silence but i cant see it
There are knob heads at every club.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 06:36:37 AM »
No im not going mate

Hope we keep to the minute silence but i cant see it
There are knob heads at every club.

very true. if it is broken it will reflect badly but im not the type of person to judge a whole set of fans by the actions of a minority.

Here is a pic of OT at 3:04 for the min silence

« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 06:45:11 AM by KURUPTION-81 »

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 06:52:21 AM »
Sad reading

kemizt

bez

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 04:09:29 PM »
SOme dick heads at the England game shouted something. Idiots. Why cant people respect that people died.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 09:21:33 AM »
SOme dick heads at the England game shouted something. Idiots. Why cant people respect that people died.

yeah , i cant say i was suprised.

Where i was sitting i heard a few whistles and then some words i couldnt make out. Then someone shouted really loud "shut the fuck up". As soon as that happened the ref blew the whistle, it was only about 30 seconds in, i think he was probably under instructions to do so.

Apparently it was worse in ireland but i havent seen it.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 10:07:13 AM »