Author Topic: America and prison  (Read 403 times)

when it rains it pours

America and prison
« on: February 04, 2008, 08:15:32 PM »
2.2 million American people are behind bars. most of them are men between the ages of 18-35.
prison is making people that are not violent into violent individuals because of the surroundings.

are any of the presidents doing anything to change this?

i think some mild prisoners who are jailed should be able to go through a long training program, mentally and physically and be given the chance to go into the military.

what are your thoughts?

Nat Turner-reincarnated

Re: America and prison
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 08:21:15 PM »
2.2 million American people are behind bars. most of them are men between the ages of 18-35.
prison is making people that are not violent into violent individuals because of the surroundings.

i think some mild prisoners who are jailed should be able to go through a long training program, mentally and physically and be given the chance to go into the military.

what are your thoughts?

why the fuck would u say go to the military?

when it rains it pours

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 08:26:19 PM »

what are your thoughts?
i figured its better then sitting in a cell all day. and gives them a career they can follow.

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 08:31:11 PM »

what are your thoughts?
i figured its better then sitting in a cell all day. and gives them a career they can follow.
i guess i know a lot of niggas who aint really doing shit with themselves and feel like the military is the way out.  but id say more like teach them a trade and shit you know, but im 50/50 on that i guess its a idea

when it rains it pours

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 08:40:58 PM »

what are your thoughts?
i guess i know a lot of niggas who aint really doing shit with themselves and feel like the military is the way out.  but id say more like teach them a trade and shit you know, but im 50/50 on that i guess its a idea
yes. i agree on that. instead of locking them up in a cell all day because they got hit with robbery charge, teach them a trade that they can go out and get a job so they dont have to rob.

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 09:03:21 PM »
also a lot of  laws and penalties are fucked up when it comes to Blacks for real

when it rains it pours

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 10:27:54 PM »
also a lot of  laws and penalties are fucked up when it comes to Blacks for real
yea. alot of penalties are too strong for small crimes. also the 3 strikes law is making the prisons more packed then ever.

AndrE16686

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 11:44:49 PM »

I'm not American, I dont kno how your laws work, but IMO, people convicted of violent crimes should be segregated from the rest of the prison population. Same with convicted youngsters. Problem seems to be is that overcrowding forces prisons to lump prisoners altogether. Letting these muthafuckers join the military is a bad idea, it will bring down any military's professionalism and level of conduct. Prison isn't supposed to be nice, prison isn't supposed to be a free University.But prison isn't suppose to make people worse, but remember there are complete fuckwits in prison too. Prisons already have librarys and programs and muthafuckers can get their diplomas and high school certificates by post. I'm not being ignorant but, there ARE stupid fucks in prison for real, muthafucker should have joined the military or went to university BEFORE he shot up the Asian grocery store. If I was in prison, all id do is lift weights and study, if I die becuase i didnt join a violent gang fuck it thats the choices I made in life, i was a dumbfuck you gotta face the music sometime, (id probly join the Muslims, Sayed's crew tho if i was in OZ LOL).  I once spent 24 hrs in a cell and ive been beaten and strangled by cops while in there and looking back i deserved it because I was a stupid fuck, I wouldve done the same shit if I was the cop. Every negative action has a consequence goddamit. Im no anarchist, the legal system exists for a very good reason.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:47:45 PM by RETURN OF THE OVERFIEND »

when it rains it pours

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 09:05:18 AM »

I'm not American, I dont kno how your laws work, but IMO, people convicted of violent crimes should be segregated from the rest of the prison population. Same with convicted youngsters. Problem seems to be is that overcrowding forces prisons to lump prisoners altogether. Letting these muthafuckers join the military is a bad idea, it will bring down any military's professionalism and level of conduct. Prison isn't supposed to be nice, prison isn't supposed to be a free University.But prison isn't suppose to make people worse, but remember there are complete fuckwits in prison too. Prisons already have librarys and programs and muthafuckers can get their diplomas and high school certificates by post. I'm not being ignorant but, there ARE stupid fucks in prison for real, muthafucker should have joined the military or went to university BEFORE he shot up the Asian grocery store. If I was in prison, all id do is lift weights and study, if I die becuase i didnt join a violent gang fuck it thats the choices I made in life, i was a dumbfuck you gotta face the music sometime, (id probly join the Muslims, Sayed's crew tho if i was in OZ LOL).  I once spent 24 hrs in a cell and ive been beaten and strangled by cops while in there and looking back i deserved it because I was a stupid fuck, I wouldve done the same shit if I was the cop. Every negative action has a consequence goddamit. Im no anarchist, the legal system exists for a very good reason.
i agree, the legal system isnt suppose to be nice, but it is milked by the police and law makers. also you made a good point about the violent crime cats should be split from the non violent people. on the other hand instead of making the prisoners work for shit pay, they should get shit pay for going to school in  profession. most the people going into prison end up back in prison after about 3 years of doing nothing on the streets.

AndrE16686

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 05:18:31 PM »
They can go to school on their own, if they really want to, people gotta make their own choices at some point.

I just saw this on TV (Foreign Correspondent),  in Norway they have an "Eco-prison", its like a farm, but its also a prison, inmates tend to animals (to teach them empathy with living things again) and make their own organic food, idea is to get them to connect with life again  and empathy for the world, no murderers in there though, although there is a dude on for manslaughter in there. Heres an article on it:

Published August 27, 2007 07:11 PM
Norway Unveils "First Ecological Prison"

In Norway, Break the Law and Live by a Beach.

BASTOEY, Norway - Norway put on show on Monday what it calls "the world's first ecological prison," where inmates play important roles in daily operations and learn to do their bit to protect the environment.

The Bastoey Island low security prison uses solar panels for energy, produces most of its own food, recycles everything it can and tries to reduce its carbon footprint.

Justice Minister Knut Storberget said the most important idea behind the "ecologically driven prison" is to develop a sense of responsibility in inmates and prepare them for life outside its non-existent walls.

Norway's relaxed prison policy is intended to reduce re-offending by released offenders, and Bastoey prison aims to bring new values to the handling of criminals.

"On a long-term basis, from a social and economic perspective, this is cheapest for society," Storberget told Reuters during a visit to Bastoey island, 75 km (46 miles) south of Oslo, whose prison has a total of 115 inmates.

"Bastoey is the island of hope," he told visitors, inmates and employees in a packed church on the prison's property, which sprawls over much of the island in the beautiful Oslo fjord.

The prison gained international media attention a few years ago for its living conditions, resembling a summer camp with activities like tennis, horse riding, and even swimming in the summer, when the North Sea waters warm up.

Assistant prison manager Per Eirik Lund said running costs were lower at Bastoey than at more traditional prisons.

"On a normal day, we have five prison officers at work. In a closed facility, you have two or three officers per 20 inmates, so this is among the cheapest prison facilities in Norway."

Lund said Bastoey tapped grants from environmental bodies to help it produce high-quality food. "Most of the food is used in the kitchen here, but we also sell to other prisons or elsewhere," he said.

Surrounded by beaches and green fields, the prison grounds extend into a nature reserve and are popular with the inmates.

"We are given full freedom within a limited area," Erik, an inmate and hobby carpenter who helped install solar panels, told Reuters. The solar panels cut the prison's electricity needs by up to 70 percent, he said.

Inmates said very few of them abused the authorities' trust. Anyone who breaks the prison rules is sent straight back to a closed prison.

"This is like a holiday camp compared to a closed facility," said another inmate, who asked not to be named.

Bastoey prison says on its website that its philosophy comes from an old Indian saying: "We don't own nature. We borrow and manage it in our lives, thinking about our descendants."

© Reuters 2007. All rights reserved.

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 05:22:22 PM »
^^ yo where u from australia i remember watchin some movie about this guy who was killing people and shit in a area where no electric things work. is that true or just some hollywood shit.. i think it was called something creek

AndrE16686

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 06:31:13 PM »
^^ yo where u from australia i remember watchin some movie about this guy who was killing people and shit in a area where no electric things work. is that true or just some hollywood shit.. i think it was called something creek

Aussie mate!

Wolf Creek. Yeah it happened, haven't seen the movie though.

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 06:37:25 PM »

Aussie mate!

eye see crazy....

AndrE16686

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 07:27:50 PM »

Aussie mate!

eye see crazy....
dude probably went nuts out there in isolation

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 04:39:58 PM »
Let me tell ya'll somethang, the system is fucked up.

I've known child molesters, CHILD MOLESTERS get A year, I've known CONVICTED pedophiles, CONVICTED, try and seduce fam thru pen pals, which was distributed thru schools, who was UNABLE to be arrested becuz, get this, becuz it WAS NOT A CRIME, okay, now I know fam who get 6 YEAR sentences on Larceny charges, Larceny. Okay. That's men going to jail for stealing MATERIAL THANGS gettin 6+ years while these pervs is gettin' single numbers for stealing away a child's life FOREVER, a child's life. DOES THAT MAKE SENSE??!!

Now to the other side..

I know fathers who refuse to pay child support, owe over more than fuckin' $15,000, okay, now I know mothers who try to put nigga's away becuz of that. And why would they put them away? Well, becuz the single mothers need the cash. Well, IF the Sheriff's pick up that nigga, you must pay a SHERIFF'S FEE, guess where that FEE comes out of? THE FUCKIN' CHILD SUPPORT MONEY!! Now, DOES THAT MAKE SENSE??!!

Prison is filled up for nonsense charges, nonsense, and this type of shit makes me sick. People do dumb thangs, people have dumb addictions, people make dumb mistakes. Police is sick, Judges unfourtantly is sick. And if seeing kids visiting their parents in jail doesn't break your heart, than you sick too.