Author Topic: the Detox archives topic *Detox status update October 2009  (Read 4676 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
the Detox archives topic *Detox status update October 2009
« on: February 10, 2008, 03:47:08 AM »
05-11: added Dr.Dre's latest comments(October 2009) on the Detox project

welcome to the Detox archives topic  :) here you can find a collection of information about Detox, as well as a couple of quotes from discussions about Detox.

this topic is locked, to keep out spammers.
but you can always pick up on the things posted here and discuss them in the serious detox discussion topic: http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=150187.200
or http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=202107.0 or a similar topic.

Detox latest status update
Dr. Dre’s Detox has been a long time coming and the delay is about to get even longer.

When asked by ABCNews.com what’s been keeping him busy, Dre laughed, “Only my album that I’ve been working on for the last 10 years, that’s it, Detox record.”

The hip-hop pioneer shot down any glimmer of hope that the project is coming out this year. “Hopefully I’ll get it done at the end of this year and we can hear it next year.”

What’s the holdup? “Motivation, other things getting in the way, that’s it.” And headphones. Just last week he unveiled a cheaper, lightweight version of his popular Beats by Dr. Dre.

www.rap-up.com

quotes from a recent Dawaun Parker interview with aftermathmusic.com:

Aftermathmusic.com:
Has the long wait for Detox made you feel like people were going to expect too much of the album?

Dawaun Parker:
I think the longer the wait the more expected yes. But the fans SHOULD have high expectations regardless of the length of time cuz it’s Dre. However, I wish people wouldn’t think that it took him 7 or something years to make. When I got my deal there wasn’t one Detox track completed. Real talk. He wasn’t working on it at the time. People just knew that there was supposed to be a project. The rest is all rumors and here-say.

Aftermathmusic.com:
Detox has been pushed back again and again, and is it maybe because of the record sales nowadays and Interscope is maybe afraid of Detox suffering from that?

Dawaun Parker:
No! The album isn’t done, thats all. It’s never really been pushed back, cuz there hasn’t ever been a definitive release date.

Aftermathmusic.com:
What do you think about all the “Detox - Leaks”?

Dawaun Parker:
I think it’s wack that people heard those ideas in it’s most infant stage, and also that people assumed they were all detox records cuz they weren’t. The hackers or Dj’s or whoever even made up their own titles…fugazi.

So, when will Detox realisticly come out!

Dawaun Parker:
That’s what everyone wants to know…at this time, I have no additional info of any value.

Dr.Dre Usa Today
In a new article published in USA Today, Dr. Dre talks about the long-awaited "Detox" and reveals that he's pushing for a November or December release. Check out the article below:

"The wait for Detox is almost over. Dr. Dre says his long-anticipated third solo album is starting to take shape in the studio and could arrive before the end of the year.

"I'm just now — over the last couple of months — starting to feel that it's going to be right and it's something I can be proud of, and everybody is going to love it," says Dr. Dre (aka Andre Young). "In a perfect world, I'm shooting for a November or December release."

"Detox" has been the subject of speculation since Dre first hinted at the project in 2002. He has been working on the album, which will be released on his Aftermath/Interscope Records label, on and off for four years. He says he has assembled a new crew of musicians, and the beats will be heavily driven by live drums. "We have an entirely new thing going with the drums that's incredible, and we're still developing that."

part of The D.O.C. dubcnn interview::

Dubcnn: Are we going to get a surprise 16 by you?

You know what? My “16’s” are all over the record. You won’t hear my voice, but *laughs*

Dubcnn: So you doing some heavy writing on that Detox record, huh?

Come on, man! I’ve done every writing on every west coast record that’s major since the west coast was major.

http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/thedoc08-part1/

Dubcnn: Nice! This next question is from both Ethan from Washington and Heme from our forum. They want to know if you’ve got a tour planned any time soon…

You know what? The “Up In Smoke 2” tour is coming when “Detox” drops. Everybody’s going out for that. Keep that in mind. Yours truly is gonna be on there.

http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/bishoplamont08-part3/

taken from the Dubcnn interview with Dawaun Parker:
Dubcnn: Well let's see if you can speak about this then. Some time ago Scratch did an article on the Detox project. It mentioned tracks that Dre affiliates thought were possibly produced with Detox in mind. Examples cited were Obie Trice's "The Set Up" and The Game's "Runnin'." Do you know of any other beats that were at one point considered for Dre's album?

Nah, at least in stuff prior to me getting there, I wouldn't know at all. I haven't asked Doc too much about that stuff. You know, most articles and all that stuff aren't super-legit. You know what I mean? I think that when it comes to this project, and the Doc's stuff in particular and all that, people just want to have any kind of information. You got internet kids who really believe it when they see Detox downloads and stuff online, it's so crazy! But anyway, If they can somehow attribute it to that, they're like, "Oh, well, we heard that Detox is supposed to come out. We've been hearing about it for a while." They're kind of assuming that every beat that they think is hot and Dre is attached to which ends up on someone else's record, they're thinking that that's stuff that was for Detox and it's not.

I mean, to me, I think that if it would have been for Detox, it will be on Detox! You know what I'm saying? I think people aren't looking at it like that. The stuff that's for the record is for the record! You're going to hear it when it's on the record. I don't really know about anything that maybe he was considering then decided, "Nah. I'ma use that on another project." I don't – I can't confirm any of that. I've another thing about that, too. I think Dre has the quality of coming out with the best stuff that he can for his artists. I wouldn't think he or any of us have the mentality of, "Oh, let's keep this beat for this and just give you this." It's like, "Nah, let's put the best thing that's going to work out for whatever record."

Dubcnn: I guess we've just got to keep our fingers crossed. Now, we've already tried to speak a little bit about Detox. I know you can't say too much, but I have to enquire about this. One thing that Dre said about the album earlier this year, during the Power 106 interview on his birthday, is that he hopes to work with everyone he's collaborated with in the past. That's a pretty hefty claim! How successfully is that coming along? Are we going to see some familiar faces on Detox?

Um, I would assume so! I think that – I don't think it's going to be totally, all-new people. I – I know that – I think that anybody's random guess would be assuming that he's going to attach Snoop and Em and all those guys. You know what I'm saying? I mean the people who've been aligned with, or have aligned themselves with him throughout his career. I'm sure they'll be on there. I don't know how much of it. I don't know if it will be an all star, every song having four or five people! You know what I'm saying? I don't think that would be smart for anybody. I want to hear Dre rap! (Laughs) You know what I'm saying? I know that he's going to have the hitters on there. He's mentioned that before. I think that it's going to be 'song determined,' you know? Who would do the best verse for the record, as they get further along. I think you can expect the major players that he's worked with to be a part of the project.

Dubcnn: That's what's up, man. Now I'm going to ask for your expert opinion here, because there's been so much speculation: is there a chance we'll hear The Game on the record?

I don't know… I – I know as much as anybody else with that. I know as much as anybody else, to be honest. Yeah, I really don't know.

Dubcnn: I think one of the reasons people were surprised with Dre saying he wanted to work with all of his former collaborators was because he also suggested that Detox will be only twelve tracks long. Is that still the case?

Uh-huh. That's still the plan, as far as I know.
http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/dawaunparker-part2/
http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/dawaunparker-part3/

The D.O.C. radio interview, talks about Detox and his next album

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/oldschoolradio

part of the Dr.Dre LA times interview:

The studio-obsessed producer has left his mark on Eminem and 50 Cent, to name-drop a few. And he's not about to rush his final solo CD.

By Robert Hilburn, Special to The Times
September 23, 2007

"We go until it happens," rap producer Dr. Dre says about all the time he spends in the recording studio searching for hits, once as long as 79 hours in a single stretch. "When the ideas are coming," says the man who is one of the half-dozen most influential producers of the modern pop era, "I don't stop until the ideas stop because that train doesn't come along all the time."

Some hip-hop fans, however, must be wondering if this particular train isn't off the track. Dre (real name: Andre Young) has been working on his third solo album, "Detox," for nearly eight years, a time frame that invites uncomfortable comparison with such earlier pop music train wrecks as Phil Spector, Brian Wilson and Axl Rose. All three were fabulously successful artists who found it so hard to live up to their own expectations that they each ran into creative paralysis.

But there are differences between Dre and the others, he and those close to him say. The 42-year-old Compton native hasn't just been working on his own album all these years.

Dr.Dre power 106 interview february 2007:
http://power106.com/audioalbum/dre.aspx

Dr. Dre's Final Album Will Be Hip-Hop Musical
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1453255/20020403/dr-dre.jhtml

BURBANK, California — Detox is no place for chronic, so expect something different from Dr. Dre on his third and final album.

"I'm not talking about lowriders and blunts and all that anymore," Dre said at his studio recently. "I mean, that's played. As a matter of fact, I'm tired of hearing other people talk about it, to tell you the truth."

So what is the hip-hop pioneer going to talk about?

"I had to come up with something different but still keep it hardcore, so what I decided to do was make my album one story about one person and just do the record through a character's eyes," Dre said. "And everybody that appears on my album is going to be a character, so it's basically going to be a hip-hop musical."

Detox's story line will chronicle the life of a hit man, describing "what he goes through and how he lives his life," said Dre, who played a trigger-eager crooked cop in "Training Day." "[It's] about his family and how he makes a living."

So far, the album, which Dre said will be his last in front of the mic, is still in the early stages.

"I've been blueprinting, getting ideas together for the past six months or so, just trying to figure out which direction I want to take and how I'm gonna present the project," he said. "Just gathering sounds and what have you. I want this one to be really over the top."

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 06:25:35 AM by Dre-Day »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
the Detox archives topic
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 04:51:46 AM »
Dr.Dre Scratch magazine Volume 1 Summer 2004(thanks to tusken RAIDEr for uploading the scans)

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 03:07:13 AM by Dre-Day »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
the Detox archives topic
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 09:58:03 AM »

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 03:06:59 AM by Dre-Day »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: the Detox archives topic
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 05:45:54 AM »
a collection of interesting quotes from Detox (related) discussions:

a lot of stuff is taken from: http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=150187.0

We all know that beats really set the tone in terms of structure and sometimes content of songs. I think Dre's gonna emphasize the "structure" aspect of the music, and shift the paradigm away from three verses and a hook.

I was listening to Don't Get Carried Away and noticed how during Nas' verse the beat sounds different to accompany Nas' voice/flow. Like the strings get more dramatic in the background...it really differentiates Nas from Busta in the song.

What I think Dre could be moving towards for the Detox is having certain "characteristics" of the music repeat when a certain rapper comes on. I know he's expressed how he wants his final album to transcend hip hop into a more cinematic approach (this is what prog and other types of rock have been experimenting with for a long time). Attaching a certain instrument or sound to a rapper makes them more of a character and familiarizes the listener with his/her "character" so to speak. Now some of you might be put off by this, but it could be subtle things like something in the drums that is added in or a certain instrument.

Also, I don't know how much rock you guys listen to, but some artists like The Mars Volta structure albums that seamlessly flow from one song to the next. Usually the songs transform, or carry on a certain sound that gradually switches up. Interesting things come up from this. For example, the beginning and end of the album could sound structurally and musically alike, but the middle reaches depths or heights that don't sound like the intros/finales. Or the entire album completely changes from beginning to end, but the change is gradual and suspenseful.

These ideas might seem to complicated or "not hip hop" but I think Dre could really change the game with a cinematic approach to the Detox. It would truly be a masterpiece if pulled off together. What do you guys think?

...Another thing I want to add is that even though songs may blend, the songs can be taken individually and still satisfy the listener. This creates an effect of being able to get into the CD at different levels - the casual approach where the typical fan just bumps the singles/skips around, and another level where someone could sit down and listen to the whole thing like watching a movie. Same thing goes for a good book...on the outside it could be a gripping action novel that someone reads to pass time, but underneath it could have endless layers you could analyze over and over again.

Seeing that the entire rap game has changed up a lot from what it was in 99 when Dre 2001 came out...what are all of the methods you feel will be necessary for promoting Detox, and making it a very high selling album? It seems as if the "TRL Crowd" and "Teenyboppers" may still love Eminem, 50, and Snoop, but many of them are out of touch with Dre and everything he's done.

Do you think Dre will have to do all of the talk shows and music shows, such as 106 n Park, TRL? What rapper do you REALLY think is gonna be his right hand man, and be the one that he promotes the album through? Although Hittman was really Snoop on 2001, he still seemed to go through Eminem and Snoop more than Hitt, because he had a name...so that may mean that he won't be going through Bishop as much as some of us might hope.

Will he have to come with a club hit as the first single, or will he have to come with a street single and a club single at the same time? He didn't drop a club single until the third single on 2001, which was "Next Episode", and the only true club song aside from that was "Let's get high" which still gets played at West Coast clubs. With the south being on "top" and having so many club songs and the like, it seems as if Dre will be more successful with a single that has energy to it, even if it isn't simple and catchy.

What will Dre's image be? Will he come out in throwback mode, wearing all black, Compton hats, chucks, khakis, etc? Will he come "30 something" (even though he's 40) in button ups, jeans, and dress shoes? Will he come out "white boy" like Pharrell and Kanye, with the small fitting shirts, or the hoodies that Wayne and T.I. like to wear? Or will he come as a Godfather, wearing suits, hats, and the like? What image do you think will be best for him at this point? There are many different options, and it may even depend on the singles and the overall mood of the album.

Speak on it.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 02:43:31 AM by Dre-Day »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 05:46:07 AM »
www.mtv.com/news/articles/1453255/20020403/dr-dre.jhtml
Dr.Dre;
 "I had to come up with something different but still keep it hardcore,so what I decided to do was make my album one story about one person and just do the record trough a characther's eyes,"
Dre said,"And everybody that appears on my album is going to be a characther,so it's basically going to a hip hop musical"

Dre don't have to cancel that "story concept" album because it's a "old" idea. I think Hittman was a big part of the orginal concept,so when he left that concept died with him. I'm sure Dre & D.O.C can come up with a new "story concept". The idea of everybody involved having alter ego's could really spark some creativity and just imagine how this would inspire others to make concept albums like this and the END of those WAK INCONSISTENT ALBUMS!

In this recent interview with Ronin Ro seems to imply that this idea might be back in effect;
www.hhnlive.com/features/more/239
...Recently,he's been saying he's going to release it. And while he's done this before and failed to deliver,one difference this time is that he now has a new film deal for his imprint crucial.
So instead of just putting out a final album as a vocalist and staying behind a desk or a mix board -in essence watching others do what he still seems to like,which is rapping- he can put the album out the leap right into film,as even more visual way of expressing himself..

So could it be that Detox will be soundtrack to movie?
Maybe I'm reading to much into it?

true, if he stuck with the story alter ego thing, the industry would have to step its game up cause dre would do what sticky fingaz did except it would go multi platinum, would be in your face, and you couldn't escape it-like most sht dre does.
-T

Well,back to the Murder these Murders track. What Dre has been doing the last years is making generic "club" tracks,like how many times can he re-do the "in the club" formula?
Damn that beat knocks,but I don´t need 100 copies trying to recreate that formula.
So I welcome this "new piano" style,the track came as a suprise on me.
If there would be a new NWA album,this could be the direction.
I don´t think Dre would dare to go this "hard" on Detox which is a shame,but a couple of tracks in the end of the album with be nice.
Let´s see what´s happens,I can only pray and hope.  :D

and about dre; i agree with you, that i rather see him making these piano style beats (it's good to see him innovate himself),
than those club tracks ( how we do it over here and fire for example are very disappointing imo).
me and some others kind of already discussed about this here:
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=155558
(well not exactly, more about the business side of Aftermath,but the deal he has with interscope clearly is reflected on the musical direction of aftermath's releases,with the exception of The Chronic 2001,because dre only has full control on his own soloalbums).
I guess deep inside dre doesn't want to make those type of singles, but he's willing to make that sacrifice,
now that he hasn't so much bad luck as he had with Ruthless and Death Row.

It's just that i feel like dre hasn't completely mastered that pianostyle. a lot of these piano style tracks have great potential, but seem to lack something to make it even better.
I mean,a beat like ain't nuthin' but a g thang may be easier for dre to produce than what he makes now
(considering the production tools), but somehow it has a lot more advanced/varied sound imo( at least it gives that illusion). offcourse , dre's current sound is more advanced when it comes to the production tools( and the beats are mixed better), but at the same time the beat gives a much more simple impression( don't you have that same feeling as i have, when you listen, for example, to "no stopping carson"?)

Musically,Dre may not have perfected the piano style.
But I see it like this,remember whenever Dre has produced random track for album they sometimes loose their impact because they´re "not a part of the album",they´re just a piece that got to fit in with reat of the concept and sound.
So if that sound is common theme for a whole album,the tracks will accompiny each other.
It´s not every track on The Chronic´s that is stellar tracks either,but the "sleeper" tracks bridge together beatifully if you understand what I mean.So if track like Murder these murders,Imagine would be put up with other tracks with the same sound I´m pretty sure we would look at them with different eyes. That said those two tracks is the ones that seems to be going in the "right" direction.

So I rather see them put all power to the Detox album,
because it seems that Dre at least have a little more control over is "own" project.
The hype has already killed Detox,no matter how good it is it will dissapoint. (?)
Remember when the first of the new Star Wars movies came out?
Shit was mad over hyped and the fans was all over the place expecting gods gift to the movie world
(much like Detox is to the Hip Hop music scene), but when it finally came the fans hated it and started to bitch all over the place.
I bet same scenario will repeat when Detox drops,there is way to much anticipation for it.
"We" will anylize that album to death,and Dre knows it,the best thing he could do is to call it off. (?)
Like maybe George should have done with the Star Wars sequels. (?)
But again that was just a "movie" and this is just a "album",so maybe we shouldn´t take so serious?

True,ppl will be disappointed no matter when it's going to be released (the expectations are so unrealistic)
I obviously don't know how the "2004" Detox would sound like,but even back then, ppl would have been disappointed
(if it's true that the beats that were supposed to be on that Detox,were sold to other artists,I'm glad detox didn't come out in 2004).
about cancelling,he should do that if he can't release it between now&2 years I guess,cause if he's not ready soon,he'll never be ready.
but before the chronic,he also had a lot of pressure
(I mean, he was continuing to develop a different sound,he never knew it would become so popular,what if it flopped?),
even though it's different. But it didn't ruin the quality of the album.
Before The Chronic 2001,he had pressure,to prove that he didn't fall off.
So if he can't complete Detox,that means it's the first time that the pressure is too much for him to release a soloalbum.
I'm not saying it's easy,but so far,the pressure motivated Dre even more (well at least with the first 2 albums).

Yeah,but pressure is even more this time around because he got two certified SOLO albums under his belt this time around.
When he dropped the first Chronic he didn´t have a classic SOLO album to follow up,
you could argue that every top to bottom Dre produced album is a "solo" release (I know I would),
so then I guess you´re right he had to follow up a almost flawless merit.
(Straight outta Compton,Eazy Duz it,No One can do it better,100 Miles and Runnin and Niggaz4Life was all almost flawless classics).
...and on top of that Tim Dog had taken the Hip Hop scene by storm with his hit "Fuck Compton",
so yeah he had to prove that he and the entire West Coast had what takes to make tight shit. So yeah when I think about you´re right.
When it came to The Chronic 2001 it was another scenario,sure he had to follow up a classic SOLO album,
but the Hip Hop scene had doubts that he had what takes anymore.
The Aftermath and The Firm both got luke warm reviews,
even if they should NOT be credited as Dre "solo" work,hell he only produced like 5-7 tracks on each right?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 03:06:27 AM by Dre-Day »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 05:46:21 AM »
We all know that beats really set the tone in terms of structure and sometimes content of songs. I think Dre's gonna emphasize the "structure" aspect of the music, and shift the paradigm away from three verses and a hook.
I was listening to Don't Get Carried Away and noticed how during Nas' verse the beat sounds different to accompany Nas' voice/flow. Like the strings get more dramatic in the background...it really differentiates Nas from Busta in the song.
What I think Dre could be moving towards for the Detox is having certain "characteristics" of the music repeat when a certain rapper comes on. I know he's expressed how he wants his final album to transcend hip hop into a more cinematic approach (this is what prog and other types of rock have been experimenting with for a long time). Attaching a certain instrument or sound to a rapper makes them more of a character and familiarizes the listener with his/her "character" so to speak. Now some of you might be put off by this, but it could be subtle things like something in the drums that is added in or a certain instrument.
Interesting things come up from this. For example, the beginning and end of the album could sound structurally and musically alike, but the middle reaches depths or heights that don't sound like the intros/finales. Or the entire album completely changes from beginning to end, but the change is gradual and suspenseful.

i really do hope dre is still using that concept, because don't get carried away is such a great song. even though i don't really like the song don't worry as much as i like don't get carried away, they are both great examples of what you just said ( with "don't worry" the beat is very different when mary J signs, then during the moments the game raps).
and if it's really true that Dre tries to work with ( almost) everybody that he has worked with in the past, the concept will work out well, because then he will have so many different kind of artists on the album and that creates a varied listening experience. besides, dre is very good at making an instrumental that matches a specific artist, so if anybody can pull this off, it's dre.

i mean, 2001 was a good album, but he still played it safe(especially when it comes to lyrics). so i don't think he should do that again, he must go further than that. i mean, "just" creating a new sound that can be recognised in every song is not enough, he should come up with a different beat structure(like you said lakers), so that transition from one song to another is more smooth ( that would mean the whole album is basically one big song, one story; not just a lot of pieces put together and mixed to have a matching sound).
i also hope the concept won't be just put on the cd, but somehow expanded in other things as well ( the booklet, an international tour, additional video material on dvd, internet), so that all those pieces tell a part of the story;it doesn't have to be a soundtrack to a movie( the direction of the music, and the subject matter would be limited that way).
as far as promoting detox, offcourse he should do the things he usually does, but he must really use the internet a lot more ( i mean, other ppl can help him with that).
unfortunately, dre is a behind the scenes type of person, so he'll probably never do record some stuff for youtube.

I was hoping for a more artistic vision,with the actual music playing along with the movie with the story line and little or non dialog at all. It could be animated,whatever like some shit you can put on at home in the background with images while the music is playing.
No the content don´t have to be revolutnionary,I actually would be prefer if it was abstract and artsy than some shallow corny shit.
Game? Why not? It may sound like a gimmick,but it´s the way the content is presented that matters in the end.

Scratch; Did you have any conversation about DETOX?
Mahogany; The road Dre lead me down was like "i´m thinking about making the album like a movie,like having 16 bar jazz pieces,live instruments." So I started looking for jazz loops and found one by the group WAR,a 22-bar loop of keys. I think it just tells a story. Dre is trying to tell a story so the instruments have to do that
Scratch; So what story are you trying to tell?
Mahogany; "Bad Intensions" was about party,exess etc.
In the movie "Very Bad Things",four dudes were having a bachelor party in Vegas,doing drugs,sex etc. Then something tragic happens with one of the hookers. So I was thinking it opens with one last party,and something tragic happens to make him want to DETOX

Maybe it's just me,but to me the song "Bad Intentions" it not much more than a loop with a few sound effects.
Don't get me wrong,the song is not bad at all,but the concept wasn't worked out well through the instrumental imo.
thankfully,this song is 6 years old,and we've already mentioned better songs that would fit the Detox concept better.

The Mahogany interview is like only a year old,but still...
I don´t think that Mahogany meant that they should use that track again,but a similar scenario played out.

nah you got it right;
I mean,in 1999 with "The Chronic 2001" he did a good job
(even though it wasn't as influential as the Chronic ),
but he can't release another "The Chronic 2001" with an updated sound in 2007
(I certainly expect dre to at least try to come up with something different,and i'm not just talking about the sound).

Yeah,that´s why the story line idea is good.
He has kind of run out of subject matter,
we don´t need to hear the same "resurection" shit that he has been using ever since The Chronic 2001 up until now.
...and good and "easy" way to go around this is to play it out in a alter ego persona.

Interesting things come up from this. For example, the beginning and end of the album could sound structurally and musically alike, but the middle reaches depths or heights that don't sound like the intros/finales. Or the entire album completely changes from beginning to end, but the change is gradual and suspenseful.

i really do hope dre is still using that concept, because don't get carried away is such a great song. even though i don't really like the song don't worry as much as i like don't get carried away, they are both great examples of what you just said ( with "don't worry" the beat is very different when mary J signs, then during the moments the game raps).
and if it's really true that Dre tries to work with ( almost) everybody that he has worked with in the past, the concept will work out well, because then he will have so many different kind of artists on the album and that creates a varied listening experience. besides, dre is very good at making an instrumental that matches a specific artist, so if anybody can pull this off, it's dre.

i mean, 2001 was a good album, but he still played it safe(especially when it comes to lyrics). so i don't think he should do that again, he must go further than that. i mean, "just" creating a new sound that can be recognised in every song is not enough, he should come up with a different beat structure(like you said lakers), so that transition from one song to another is more smooth ( that would mean the whole album is basically one big song, one story; not just a lot of pieces put together and mixed to have a matching sound).
i also hope the concept won't be just put on the cd, but somehow expanded in other things as well ( the booklet, an international tour, additional video material on dvd, internet), so that all those pieces tell a part of the story;it doesn't have to be a soundtrack to a movie( the direction of the music, and the subject matter would be limited that way).
as far as promoting detox, offcourse he should do the things he usually does, but he must really use the internet a lot more ( i mean, other ppl can help him with that).
unfortunately, dre is a behind the scenes type of person, so he'll probably never do record some stuff for youtube.

I think if he went a artsy direction like the;
Beatles; Yellow Submarine (film)

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1444637107417806305

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Submarine_(film)
Yellow Submarine is a 1968 animated feature film based on the music of The Beatles. It is also the title for the soundtrack album to the feature film, released as part of The Beatles' music catalogue. The film was directed by Canadian-born animation producer George Dunning, and produced by United Artists and King Features Syndicate. The Beatles themselves appear only in the closing scene of the film.

or the......

Pink Floyd The Wall (film)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/M_bvT-DGcWw&amp;rel" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/M_bvT-DGcWw&amp;rel</a>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Floyd_The_Wall_(film)
Pink Floyd The Wall is a 1982 film by British director Alan Parker based on the 1979 Pink Floyd album The Wall. The screenplay was written by Pink Floyd vocalist and bassist Roger Waters. The film is highly metaphorical and is rich in symbolic imagery and sound. It features virtually no dialogue and is mainly driven by Pink Floyd's music. Although it features a linear storyline, in many ways The Wall more resembles a long-form music video than a traditional narrative feature film.
The film contains fifteen minutes of elaborate animation sequences by the political cartoonist and illustrator Gerald Scarfe part of which depict a nightmarish vision of the German bombing campaign over England during World War II set to the song "Goodbye Blue Sky".

These movie´s is more abstract will little dialog,so the music from the whole album can basicilly play troughout the whole movie.
He can get away with a bad artsy movie,but not a bad regular movie.... You know how the critics go.

yeah a videogame would be good, because a videogame can have the same story,
or it can actually tell the story before detox, or something like that.
It's not required though,but like i said,it's one tool that i can think of that can expand the Detox vibe,
and i hope anybody else can mention a few other tools.

A before Detox video game is a good idea,that´s actually a better idea than adopting the movies story line.
The Youtube idea you came with is also great,you know how they promote movies these days where the actors stay in characther when they´re out there promoting the movies on talk shows and what not,
they can whole gang of fake ones and post them on youtube
another thing they could also do is make some awesome movie "blockbuster" like trailers like they do for those "blockbuster" movies.
You know.... Coming this summer to a hood near you...bla,bla,bla, starring bla,bla,

The Mahogany interview is like only a year old,but still...
I don´t think that Mahogany meant that they should use that track again,but a similar scenario played out.
I don´t think Mahogany is involved with record,from what I could gather so far into the production of the album,
The Core Detox team consists of writers and artists that will help Dre to articulate Dre´s idea´s;
Busta Rhymes,Stat Quo,Bishop Lamont,Eminem and The D.O.C.

yeah i don't think Mahogany is going to be involved with detox either,
he's probably just one of the many producers that sold a beat to dre, which might end up on detox.

Yeah it seems that those that writers/artists that I mentioned above is the core team for Detox
(from what I have read and seen working in the Aftermath studio recently on photo´s and video´s)
I assume that all those beat makers that has submited beats,
is a way for Dre to look for direction for the sound and the beatmaker
he feels got the sound he´s looking and wants to invite as a co-producer for the project. (This person is probably set by now)
I can´t see Dre making a kind of a compilation type of sounding album like "everybody" is doing these days,
that would be a bad direction if you ask me,
to have all kind of styles of beats will fuck up the albums consistency (like most albums these days).

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 03:06:17 AM by Dre-Day »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 05:46:32 AM »
A before Detox video game is a good idea,that´s actually a better idea than adopting the movies story line.
The Youtube idea you came with is also great,you know how they promote movies these days where the actors stay in characther when they´re out there promoting the movies on talk shows and what not,
they can whole gang of fake ones and post them on youtube
another thing they could also do is make some awesome movie "blockbuster" like trailers like they do for those "blockbuster" movies.
You know.... Coming this summer to a hood near you...bla,bla,bla, starring bla,bla,

yeah dre definately needs to do something with youtube(...the video with bishop lamont has been viewed 275719 times. and if dre really has something to show(i'm not talking about videos of recording a cetain beat or something like that, that's only extra material), it will probably be viewed a lot more( shouldn't be too hard, by adding a few good tags). i mean, the latest dr.dre interviews have spread across many websites, a youtube video will obviously spread even faster.
a trailer would be a good idea as well, after all, detox is probably not going to be a regular album.
i just hope that dre doesn't continue with this behind closed doors policy (when it comes to promoting detox) until detox is close to being released. sure, interscope will be willing to help out, but dre shouldn't rely too much on interscope. like i said before, i understand that dre doesn't really like the process of promotion, but he doesn't have to do it all by himself.
i know that a lot of people anticipate detox(they don't need promotion), but if dre really wants to set a trend, he needs a more diverse promotion strategy.

You can't really premiere tracks on concerts these days anymore, because it first leaks on the net in video format and then the mp3 is everywhere, hence the song being played out before the album drops.

I think Dre should do like Kanye and Jay did; organize bunch of listening sessions for the press, so that all the written previews start hitting the net. Look how well that worked for this new Jay's album.

yeah, it would be very bad idea if dre picked those beats from them and put it on Detox.
But like you said,he probably won't do that,he will just use them as an inspiration.

Yep,inspiration and the direction of the sound. The producers that he got around him now is Hi-Tek and Focus pluss some keyplayers and what not he´s taken under his wing. So these cats might be ones that bring shit to Dre this time around?
From what I understand Mel-Man brought a lot of the samples to Dre´s attention,
since Mel-Man is "diggin in the crates" kind of dude
Mel-Man had all kind of obscure records laying around.
The What´s the difference sample is genius,how the fuck did they find that french joint?

Moved your post over here since the convo fits this thread.

DUBCNN: Exclusive Video Interview With Bishop Lamont (NEWS-Reformation/Detox
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=158535.0
nice interview  :)

BISHOP LAMONT (November 2007) | Interview By: Eddie Gurrola
http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/bishoplamont07/
He wanted to do it like a twelve step program,like if you go to detox,
the Betty Ford Clinic,it’s a twelve step program. So it could only be twelve records.

DUBCNN: Exclusive Video Interview With Bishop Lamont (NEWS-Reformation/Detox
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=158535.0
Well i obviously prefer quality over quantity,but i do hope Dre can put a few more tracks on it though.
Bishop did confirm that Detox is going to be a concept album,which makes sense,
as some of us already predicted that in the serious Detox topic:

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=150187.0 (this thread)

http://www.bettyfordcenter.org/children/parents.php

Step 1

We admitted we were powerless over alcohol-that our lives had become unmanageable. Admit powerlessness over your ability to surrender to your love and not your control.

"Parenting is really a struggle between fear and love." The fear that our children, whom we love so much, can be harmed causes us, as parents, to attempt to control the fear by controlling our children. Managing our children through control creates bitterness in ourselves as parents, and breeds anger and rebellion in our children. The alternative is to accept that pain is a part of living, and that our children can learn from pain just as we do as adults. Admitting powerlessness over our life allows for honest parenting. Through acceptance we can share our love with our children and teach them to protect themselves.

Step 2

Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. Find hope in the belief that recovery is possible through faith and willingness to work on ourselves.

"Faith is the beginning of hope." The belief in a Power greater than ourselves can help us develop the faith to try new behaviors and create new visions for our families. As members of dysfunctional families, we have all kinds of learned "insanity." These behaviors directly affect our parenting. When we allow a Power greater than ourselves to work in our lives, then miracles are possible.

Step 3

Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to God as we understood Him. Reach out for help and acknowledge that you are not alone.

"Asking for help is the lifeline for parents." When we turn our will and our lives over to God, we also turn our children over to His care. Letting go helps us to step aside and let a force greater than ourselves work in our lives and our children's lives. Drawing on the resources around us and attempting to find a good orderly direction helps us gain a sense of peace to meet the challenges of parenting.

Step 4

Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves. Take stock of yourself as a parent .

"Identifying our strengths and weaknesses helps us own reality. When we see how our personality traits affect our children, we realize how we project our fears onto our children, creating self-fulfilling prophecies. By doing the fourth step, we take responsibility for the things we do not like about ourselves instead of projecting them onto our children. When we look at what our family life was like before recovery, we can get a clear picture of where we were and work to avoid repeating past mistakes.

Step 5

Admitted to God, to ourselves, and another human being the exact nature of our wrongs. Learn to share your parenting issues without self-recrimination.

Sharing our inventory with God and another person helps us to see patterns that have caused us problems. The guilt from the excessive baggage of the past separates us from those we love. Sharing the things we see with our spouse, friends, and support groups allows us to find that we were not as bad a parent as we thought and we have all kinds of support and guidance available around us. Honest communication with a spouse is important so that your efforts can begin to work together for more effective parenting.

Step 6

Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character. Become ready to change by giving up the demand to be perfect.

"Be ready to change." Our character defects have been the way the child in us has protected itself from a hostile world. As parents, we must face the child in ourselves and tell ourselves that the time has come to give up the old patterns. We must develop new defenses to use when defenses are necessary. This involves finding new ways that do not involve denying our feelings.

Step 7

Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings. Make conscious changes in your parenting by identifying specific strategies for healthy parenting.

Willingness to humbly ask for help sets the stage for our spiritual growth as a parent. Since many of us grew up in alcoholic families, asking for help is especially difficult - asking with humility is even harder. We begin to make conscious changes in our parenting. Our old patterns and responses, as well as those of our children, will still occur as we begin to adjust to these changes. Change takes time; setbacks are natural. Setting firm and consistent limits and learning new ways to relate to our children will help as we adjust to the changes.

Step 8

Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all. Take responsibility for the effect your parenting has had on your children and learn self-forgiveness.

Learn to forgive yourself. Accepting the past as a fact and without guilt is an important part of this step. By taking responsibility for the past, we admit the truth about the past (neither judging too harshly, nor minimizing the effects). We can then commit to changing our behaviors that are harmful and follow through on our commitment. Listing new parenting strategies moves us away from guilt and into responsible action. Deciding to change helps release us from self-recrimination. We need to remember that we did not willfully harm our children; we were doing the best with what we had at the time. Now we have more. Being a recovering parent is like being a recovering alcoholic. We can let go of the shame and guilt when we accept our problem and do something about it.

Step 9

Made direct amends to such people whenever possible except when to do so would harm them or others. Make amends to your children through healthy parenting without over-compensating.

The best way to make amends to our children is by being a better parent. Our children can sense when we are trying to make up for lost time or trying to be the "super parent" because of guilt we have. Children often respond with mistrust or manipulation to our over-compensations. When we commit to be the best parent we can be, we share our lives and attention with our children. We accept each other's differences. We give permission for everyone to express their feelings. We start setting firm loving limits for our children and ourselves. It also means reaching inside to heal the child inside ourselves who cries out for love and attention.

Step 10

Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it. Model being honest with yourself and your children and create acceptance in your family for imperfection.

Our children learn more from what we do than from what we say. This is a step of self-honesty. We must learn to accept our own imperfections and mistakes before we can teach our children that they can be imperfect and still be loved. By modeling self-honesty and self-acceptance, we demonstrate to our children how to deal with life based on "content of their character" and not how close to perfect they can get.

Step 11

Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out. Learn to accept your limits in life and find your true spiritual path while allowing your children theirs.

As parents the hardest limit to accept is the truth that in the end our children will be on their own. By nurturing our own spirituality we, as parents, are able to guide our children toward their own path of spiritual growth. We can share our spiritual principles and values with our children best through our guidance and our example. It is easier to "Let go and let God" when we accept that in the end our children are on their own and we cannot control the choices that they will make. The ability to give thanks for each experience (because experience has made us who we are) helps us to be aware that we are part of a larger plan.

Step 12

Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs. Reach out to other parents in the spirit of giving and community.

"You can't keep it unless you give it away." Sharing our experience, strength, and hope is the cornerstone of our program. We can reach of highest potential through helping others strive to better themselves. We need to be involved in our children's schools, in support groups, and in the community. Carrying the message means reaching out and offering a helping hand to other parents when needed and appropriate. It is learning to lead our children in a loving way and give the child within you all he or she needs to grow.

That the intro is called "Intervention" supports this 12 step concept.
So if it is a movie/musical that will be 12 chapters that he will go trough.
I don´t know if you noticed;

BISHOP LAMONT (November 2007) | Interview By: Eddie Gurrola
http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/bishoplamont07/

Dubcnn: So it’s definitely a concept-type album?
Oh yeah! I mean, it’s his last hoorah. I always tell people to make it make sense [to them,] this is gonna be his “Return Of The Jedi” in the trilogy of movies. So it’s gonna go hard! I think that’s all you’ve got to say really.
THX it!
But it’s his “Return of the Jedi.”

THX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THX

THX is the trade name of a high-fidelity sound reproduction standard for
movie theaters, screening rooms, home theaters, computer speakers, gaming consoles, and car audio systems.
THX stands for Tomlinson Holman's eXperiment.
THX was developed by Tomlinson Holman at George Lucas's company Lucasfilm in 1982 to ensure that the soundtrack for the third Star Wars film, Return of the Jedi, would be accurately reproduced in the best venues.

If you have read some of mellow-mans posts he hints on something like this.
Then I got to invest in a THX system at home,ha,ha  :laugh:

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 07:52:36 AM by Dre-Day »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 05:46:48 AM »
I have a feeling that if he does too much concept wise, people won't really accept it until later because it might be too ahead of it's time, and it'll go over a lotta people's heads...so they might not appreciate it at the same level. At this point, most fans could care less about lyrics and stories, let alone a concept for an entire album....it's all about damn singles and weak ringtones now. So I'm sure Dre realizes that fans initial reception might not be as valuable in the future...but a lot of people want this album to "bring the west back", and I don't think it's gonna do that at all...so that's not something I hope for.
Quote from: Dre-Day
well the people who keep expecting from the veterans to bring the west back should realise that these veterans won't be around forever. and like i said in an other topic, the world is bigger than the westcoast. besides, if dre comes with another 2001 with an updated sound ppl will be disappointed ( there are a couple of arguments in this topic why he shouldn't release another 2001). like some of us said before, dre cannot prevent that ppl are going to be disappointed (the expectations are unrealistic), he can only do the best he can, and he knows that he can't come up with another 2001 ( he kind of said that in the mtv interview in 2004).

I seriously do hope that this is an album with a concept behind it,
12 tracks does seem short for all that wait but let's not forget that it means there's very little room for filler if that does happen.
The Chronic 2001 had 22 tracks and 3,4 joints were dope but could be left off the album.
15 tracks would be perfect, maybe do those 12 tracks and have 3 as a bonus.

12 tracks is just fine with me,the "leftovers" can be released as bonus cuts on the singles,
make them mini EP´s with 3-4 leftovers on each single.
Whatever fits his concept.
Matter of fact I think this should be the "new trend",
Bishop said that his album is now 70% Dre,fuck it just cut away the "30%" and let it all be just Dre and Bishop.
I would say the same if Focus,Dae One or any other producer had done 70%,I want the DJ/producer and MC concept back.
Fuck all those compilation albums with all the "hot" producers and guests.
That bullshit can they save for OST´s and whatever compilations.

dre has set the standards so high people expect miracles and will never be happy

The truth,as good example is when those new Star Wars movies.
People was expecting miracles,I mean MIRACLES.... the hype was crazy much like with Detox.
But what happent? People got dissapointed and was mad pissed,but how could you please 30 something fans (ehhh nerds  :laugh:).
Lucas made a movie for kids,not for old fucks (like me  :laugh:).
When I came out of the midnight screening I was shocked,it was the worst movie I had ever seen.  >:(
I went to see it again in the morning,it grew on me for everytime I went to see it.
Sure it´s still a average movie,not the masterpiece "we all" expected... but it´s not as bad as everybody makes it.
There´s no way around this    :P :P

....and yes dre's stuff if fairly simple, yet very complex.
believe me if Dre wanted to bring a 64 piece orchestra into the studio
and put out an album it would be the most incredible shit you've ever heard.
Dre usually uses 2 or 3 instruments on individual tracks.
Add 60 or so other musicans and instruments and let dre direct and create parts for each instrument.
He could make the most complex beat you've ever heard.
But dre knows most fans don't want to hear that and although
Dre uses some orchestra instruments in his beats he probably won't go that far.
They want to hear simplistic yet very original and complex top notch production.

For the last few years we have been building hundreds of instrumentals for Detox.
They ranged from really sparse and simple beats to some of the craziest and most complex beats you have ever heard.
We have all worked very hard together to create something truly original and groundbreaking.
Picking which ones to actually use is easier said than done.
We are striving for 100% live instrumental tracks built completely from
scratch which takes a lot of work since we do some many of them before Dre wittles them down later on.
Dre pushes us to dig deep and put our own ideas into the
skeleton instrumentals we have made alongside him for Detox over the last couple of years.
We are really pushing the envelope.
In my opinion Dre has thrown out some incredible tracks that we and Dre have built together,
but Dre is looking for something specific and if he doesn't hear it he will not use it.
The dilema is how complex of tracks will the listening audience want to hear.
Do they want orchestra like pieces or the tightly focused, yet simple beats you are used to from Dre.
Ideally all of us and Dre want the most mindbending and complex original music experience ever heard on record.
But will the audience be happy with that?
The last thing we want to do is put out a "concept" album
that loses people because it so different than what they are used to hearing.
So thats been a big dilema. In the end i think you will hear elements of these
complex beats but you won't hear the way they originally were created
(those versions will go to the "Dr. Dre vault".
At least that is the direction Dre has gone so far.
I think the early tracks are as good as anything Dre has ever done
- but it is still too early to tell how the final album will sound.

I don't think it matters too much who dre has as co-producers (although dre had a great team for 2001),
since it's dre who makes the beat structure.
with 2001 he and his team came with a different sound, but the structure was basically still dre  :laugh: not that it's a bad thing,
but the thing is, as mellowman pointed out, how far should dre go with detox?
in the past few years i've seen a few different things from him;
sometimes the structure was more simple than i'm used to from dre,
and sometimes he was experimenting a bit,
like on Oh! and Don't get carried away
(not a major difference in structure, but slightly different than what he usually does).

Oh? That was Obie Trice right?

Listening to the more advantgarde Dre tracks like RC´s Fame from The Aftermath Compilation,
even some of the Busta tracks is a little out there like Legends of the fall offs.
Both tracks is a stroke of genius,simply amazing.  :o
Will tracks like these throw the (mainstream) fans off,probably will.....  :laugh:
but fuck it,this is what I want to hear.  :P
What many of Dre´s tracks have missed lately is the "cinamatic" sound,
but with tracks like Don't get carried away,Legends of the fall offs and Murder these murders
he´s in the right direction.

while it seems very unlikely that dre will make a Chronic 2000 something album (especially now that Bishop is involved),
it still bugs me how far dre is willing to go.

How about the involvement of Eminem last time around?
The tracks he did with him before he dropped Chronic 2001 was far from "Gangster" or "Hip Hop" for that matter.

I mean, at one point he stopped working on detox; he picked it again up later,and said in interviews,
that you've got to give the fans what they want.
While i think he had a good impression of what the "people" wanted for Chronic 2001,
what does he think that the people want for detox this time?

That´s a hard question to answer,but as I said before I got the impression that the "people" want him to resurect Hip Hop.
...and on top of that he got all those Hip Hop cats in his ears these days.
Bishop and Busta is far from Gangster,pluss the cats they bring along them like Q-Tip (Busta brought him along on The Big Bang).
But remember Chronic 2001 wasn´t exactly gangster either it was a fine mix of Gangster,Hip Hop,Alternative and Pop.
So he covered it all without losing anyone along the ride.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 03:22:36 AM by Dre-Day »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 07:51:04 AM »

I hated Onyx and their hit Slam.... their screaming was hella annoying.  :P :P
After Tanji brought the album up a year ago that the album was done in
alter ego characthers like Dre had (has?) planned(s?) to. (see quote below)
I was interested in checking this album out,boy was I in for a suprise.....  :o :o
The albums best cuts is hella dope,damn I hope Dre still will go trough with his original plans.
I posted three tracks from the album so you can get an idea how the story is going and how Detox could play out.

In case you have missed Dre original plan for Detox;

MTV
www.mtv.com/news/articles/1453255/20020403/dr-dre.jhtml
Dr.Dre;
"I had to come up with something different but still keep it hardcore,so what I decided to do was make my album one story about one person and just do the record trough a characther's eyes,"
Dre said,
"And everybody that appears on my album is going to be a characther,so it's basically going to a hip hop musical"

well the hints we got from the people close to dre confirmed that detox is still a concept album (for those who haven't seen the hints, check other serious detox topic http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=169127;)

it wouldn't make sense if it wasn't; i mean how else would dre be able to put all those different artists on detox and not make it a compilation?

all those people can be characters, and some will obviously get bigger roles than others.

it wouldn't make sense if it wasn't; i mean how else would dre be able to put all those different artists on detox and not make it a compilation?
all those people can be characters, and some will obviously get bigger roles than others.

Yep just check how briliant you can do a posse cut with alot of
features without making it sound like you just threw a bunch of cats on a track;
Sticky Fingaz; Black trash; The Autobiography of Kirk Jones

09 - State Vs Kirk Jones.mp3
http://www.mediafire.com/?ignyczgdxaj

^^^^All the cats featured plays a alter ego characther on the track... genius!!!! ^^^

yeah, that was put together well indeed  ;)

Dre has some great writers on his team, so it sure looks promising  :)

guilty conscience had characters for example, but it was just for one song.

anyway, whatever the story is gonna be like, RBX won't play the devil, that's for sure  :laugh:
in Ronin Ro's book, have gun will travel, RBX was quoted from an interview, saying that he didn't want to play the devil on murder was the case, since it went against his principles  :firedevil:

Guilty Conscience had characters for example,but it was just for one song.

True,the MTV performance of that track is classic.....
Imagine the stage show they can put on,if Dre go all the way with this concept  :o :o :o

Guilty Conscience
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xlfx75h7ABI&amp;rel" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xlfx75h7ABI&amp;rel</a>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Couldn´t find the Live performance I was looking for but it´s the same concept.
on the one I mean,they perform the whole song

anyway, whatever the story is gonna be like, RBX won't play the devil, that's for sure  :laugh:
in Ronin Ro's book, have gun will travel, RBX was quoted from an interview, saying that he didn't want to play the devil on murder was the case, since it went against his principles  :firedevil:

He could do the voice overs trough the album and show (........and hopefully the movie  ;))

Haven't been able to read everything in this thread, but here are some of my thoughts -

Who's going to be on the album-
Even though Dre has said everyone he's worked with will be on it, I would personally prefer if he did what he did with the original Chronic and have people who weren't well known to the public. Snoop only had a buzz off Deep Cover, and then Kurupt, Daz, RBX, Rage, Nate were all new and they all blew up on that album and it was fresh because people hadn't heard anything from them before.
So personally I'd like to see all Dre's new guys and none of the old guys, ie. Bishop, Stat Quo, Joell Ortiz (is he still on the label?), etc and NOT Em, snoop, 50, busta, etc - it'd be doper in my opinion to be hearing from all the newer guys and keep the sound really fresh that way (especially to the general public who haven't really heard bishop, stat, etc)

The concept -
I've got a feeling that it'll be hard for Dre to keep a concept together, though he will probably be able to just get everyone to write about similar subjects. The hard part about doing a story or something where it all ties together very tightly is that he makes loads of tracks and replaces old ones as new ones are made which are better, and he does the same thing with rhymes. So if every rapper was a character in a story for instance, then he may have a verse by someone that sounds dope, but then something doper is written and it'd replace the old verse - so the structure and tight theme would fall apart. Though if he just says, ok, write about something positive then the general theme could have a concept, but I really don't think we'll see something like a album that fits to a movie, or something with a detailed story, as his way of making things perfect makes that almost impossible because it would break any intricate conceptual structure

The sound -
Again, I don't think he'll let the concept dictate the sound, he will just go for the dopest shit possible, so if there is a concept where the beat changes with each rapper, that just may not sound that dope when put into practice, so he'll scrap any idea that makes the album not actually sound as good, even if it's a dope concept
As far as whether it's a new sound completely or like the stuff he's being doing recently, I'm guessing it'll probably be just very, very dope beats but in the style he's been doing recently, sparse and hard, with a distinct melody in there somewhere. If it is completely different (eg lush orchestral tracks or whatever), then he's not shown any signs of this in any other tracks... it's possible it'll sound different, but I believe there is some truth to him giving away old Detox beats to other people. He obviously thinks the style he's been doing for ages is really good, or he wouldn't keep doing it, and so I think he'll just be keeping the best sort of beats in that style

Conclusion-
So overall I think the album will be just 12 or so of the dopest beats he's made over quite a long period of time, probably similar to beats he's been doing recently, maybe a bit different, but nothing completely off the wall. With the rapping he'll just go for the best verses people have given him, regardless of whether they completely fit the concept, because he will always pick how it sounds first rather than how good it is theoretically. There will probably be some sort of connecting theme, like Detoxing, but it will be loose rather than a really intricate concept - sound will win over concept

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 03:22:57 AM »
Who's going to be on the album-
Even though Dre has said everyone he's worked with will be on it, I would personally prefer if he did what he did with the original Chronic and have people who weren't well known to the public. Snoop only had a buzz off Deep Cover, and then Kurupt, Daz, RBX, Rage, Nate were all new and they all blew up on that album and it was fresh because people hadn't heard anything from them before.
So personally I'd like to see all Dre's new guys and none of the old guys, ie. Bishop, Stat Quo, Joell Ortiz (is he still on the label?), etc and NOT Em, snoop, 50, busta, etc - it'd be doper in my opinion to be hearing from all the newer guys and keep the sound really fresh that way (especially to the general public who haven't really heard bishop, stat, etc)

so i assume that you didn't like the formula dre used for 2001 as fas as guest features: providing a mix of upcoming talents and established artists?
i actually liked that formula, but i see your point. you have to realise that this is dre's final album though.
Yeah, I liked it - I mean I'm not going to complain if Em, 50, Snoop, Busta, etc etc are all on there spitting incredibly hot verses! But I'd also like to see a fresh start, though perhaps he doesn't have enough new artists to carry it off and also it will hugely help sales if Em, 50, etc are on there
yeah i think it's inevitable that the big names will be used to boost sales  :P
personally i'm not that excited either about 50 cent being on there and i wouldn't mind if Snoop wasn't on Detox at all ( probably going to catch heat for this, but fuck it; i liked his involvement on 2001, but this is 2008 and i feel that the snoop formula has run dry).

but 2001 didn't have any wack singles, so perhaps the outcome for the Detox singles won't be that bad ( somehow i really doubt that dre will just pick 3 or 4 singles for Detox by the way).
i doubt that Bishop Lamont will be featured on Detox as much as Hittman was on 2001, but he will certainly be featured on there a lot more than some of the big names.
Joel Ortiz is not on aftermath anymore by the way, but that doesn't have to mean that he won't be featured on Detox.

i do hope that there will be some fresh talent on there that i haven't heard of before, just like 2001 had.

i see your point of how dre usually works, but, again, you have to realise that this is Dre's last album, so it's going to be different this time.

remember that dre has some great storytellers on his team, like The D.O.C. and Eminem so i don't see why he couldn't come up with a concept album.
offcourse it's not going to be easy to fit all those artists in the story, but if they're just going to be a character it should be possible.
besides, dre's very good at making the instrumentals attach to a certain artist, so if any producer can pull off making some sort of hiphop musical, it's dre

I understand that he's trying to do more, but I've got a strong feeling it will come down to choosing just the dopest beats and rhymes. If I'm wrong then I hope he's managed to pull off both having hot music AND a dope concept. I just have the feeling that he's probably going to have to make a choice and if he does then he'll lose the concept, as I'm sure as hell he want to lose the amazingness of the music

Like he may find with all the verses and beats he's got he can put together 2 albums - one is an album with a really awesome concept joining the whole thing, but with some just 'ok' verses and beats in there, OR he has the parts to put together an album with 100% amazing beats and 100% amazing sounding verses. I'd prefer the second album, that just sounds the best and I think that's what he'll go for

Although, maybe you're right, I guess he could work on beats and lyrics separately and even if he does change the beats up all the way until the end, he can still get people in to spit the same verses on the newer, better beats he's come up with. If the DOC, Em, Bishop, etc came up with a great story that worked together, then they could just keep tweaking it, and the other rappers on the album would just spit the lyrics that his team has written for the album

don't get me wrong, i also have doubts whether dre is able to pull it off, but i think he has the tools to make it happen.
based on the information of Detox that's available, Dre's camp is striving to make a concept album. based on the interviews with the D.O.C. i get the idea that he's a lot more involved than he was with 2001, which is definately a good thing if they want to make a concept album.
i'm not 100% sure how i should interpret the concept idea, but it could be just lyricwise, or both lyricwise and productionwise.
not every track will sound the same, but will still have a signature sound and fit the certain part of the story( the Chronic and Doggystyle were basically concept albums productionwise; not every track sounds the same but each track has the g-funk sound).

Prince Paul had a album a while back, I can't remember the name of it. But it played out like a movie. Each track seamlessly told a story and the next track continued it. But to the average listener it would sound like different tracks. Something like that centered around the whole Detox theme would be dope.

A Prince Among Thieves
http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Among-Thieves-Paul/dp/B00000HZVC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1205698163&sr=8-1

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
The concept album has a long history in rock & roll , with the Who's Tommy being by far the most successful (by virtue of its turns on the big screen and Broadway, respectively). Hip-hop has had a few interesting (Kool Keith's Sex Style) and not-so-interesting (RZA's Bobby Digital in Stereo) goes at the form, but not until Prince Paul's A Prince Among Thieves has the genre had a true epic of its own to claim. The album, a cynical story of two friends that turn into rivals over a record deal, is solid on every level, with a full story, great music, and a strong cast. The disc is populated by a bevy of characters, many played by solid veterans--Chris Rock and De La Soul as junkies, Everlast as a crooked cop, Biz Markie and Special Ed as enforcers for Chubb Rock's gangsta don, and Big Daddy Kane as a pimp--but features a pair of talented newcomers (Sha and Breeze) as the leads. Sha and Breeze are dynamic, and they show up some of the bigger stars here--though only a couple of the characters disappoint (most surprising of which is Kool Keith's Crazy Lou). Ultimately, it's a hell of a record, with Breeze, Chubb Rock, Big Daddy Kane, Heroine, De La Soul, Xzibit, Brand Nubian's Sadat X, and Kid Creole taking best advantage of the killer tracks Paul serves up for them. --Randy Silver

Spin
A Prince Among Thieves could be heard as the renaissance of hip-hop's psychedelic edge.... [T]his cartoon panoply of sound never loses a powerful sense of cumulative derangement.[/color]

Greatest Concept Album Ever

I put it out there.
This has got to be the great and most complex and complete concept album ever. It is a album that could be made into a movie easily and somewhat is if you ever saw the music video for the album.
The ablum tells the story of Tariq, who is trying to get a record contract and needs to make some money to finish up his tracks and ...well, I don't want to give it away.

This album also has great appearances by: Sadat X, De La Soul, Kool Keith, Xzibit, Big Daddy Kane, Chubb Rock, Everlast, Biz Markie, Chris Rock, and Rza.

And as always Prince Paul put several skits throughout the album.
(Check out Tariq's mom the end of track #3 -- it's hilarious). Chris Rock also does a funny skit as a crack head.
There also is a great remake of the Ice Cube song "Steady Mobbin'" (off the Death Certificate) called "Steady Slobbin'"

This is a true classic hiphop album.

A True Concept Album among those that aren't,

As far as I know, there has never been a hip-hop album like A Prince Among Thieves and i don't know if there ever will be. But to tell you the truth, i really hope there are. The idea of having whole hip-hop albums that tell a single story in a cinematic way could be its own sub-genre and really make for interesting listens.
The story is in a nutshell about the rise and fall of a would be MC named Tariq and his jealous friend True who is a drug dealer. This adventure takes you all over the place including jail and you end up meeting all kinds of interesting characters. The story is mesmerizing and the first time you put it on, you can't turn it off.
This whole thing is the brainchild of the genius producer Prince Paul, who hasn't done anything i haven't enjoyed from De La Soul to MC Paul Barman to Handsome Boy Modeling School. This is probably his definitive statement as an artist as he has masterfully orchestrated an epic hip-hop tale with lots of colorful guest stars (Big Daddy Kane, Kool Keith, De La Soul, Chris Rock) that manages to be powerful, bangin', funny, creative, and just all around enjoyable.
The way that this album is like an opera is that there are the songs (like the arias) and sandwiched in between are little intros with beats (like the recitative).
This album is really good, although the one part i usually skip is the love song by Newkirk (track 24) because after a few listens that track gets old and drags on too long. I think probably the song that works best as part of the story and as a concept is "The Men In Blue" featuring Everlast which has every line making a statement. Songs like "Steady Slobbin'" and the skit with Chris Rock are hilarious. There are some great moments like when True and Tariq are listening to Tariq's beat in the car and they both take turns rhyming over it.
This album is a huge achievement in the world of hip-hop and further cements Prince Paul's genius and should pave the way for more hip-hop concept albums and just more creativity in hip-hop period.[/color]

CLASSIC HIP-HOP

Anyone who knows even a little about hip-hop knows that storytelling has been central to hip hop music almost since its inception. Hip-hop fans will also recognize that concept albums are nothing new to the world of hip-hop (Ice Cube's "Death Certificate" immediately comes to mind, though there are countless others that lay claim to the status of concept album). It should also be noted that the use of skits on hip-hop albums is commonplace, if not ubiquitous. This being said, Prince Paul's "A Prince Among Thieves" is not only a bonafide hip-hop album that fits neatly into the tradition, it also redefined the genre. The thing that sets Prince Paul's masterpiece apart from the rest is its consistency in theme, tone and character. Over the course of this album, we see the main character travel through the flipside of the American Dream - the ghetto. As the album chronicles the main character's struggles to garner enough money to present a demo for a record deal, we see Prince Paul production technique in constant flux, embracing a different genre of hip-hop with every turn. From hardcore gangsta posturing to laid-back player/pimp macking to old school freestyle flava, the music fits the storyline flawlessly. The beats are fresh, the story is compelling and the rhymes are simply second to none. With a little help from several of underground hip-hop's luminaries (both past and present) Prince Paul has produced a hip-hop masterpiece on par with the Who's "Tommy." "Prince Among Thieves" tells the story of youth at a crossroads, of a culture on the brink, of life at its most crucial moment. It's patchwork of genre and subject-matter flows effortlessly together into a narrative so strong that only the most detached listener will not be able to relate to the struggles of the main character. In today's culture of shrinking attention spans, this album may be a challenge to most, but a careful listen reveals some insights that we all can learn from. I'll tell you one thing - after listening to the final, self-titled track, I will never listen to a "Dead Homies" song the same way even again. Never. Buy this one. It's a true classic.

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com essential recording
Tommy had the dubious distinction of being the first-ever rock opera; however, it's none the worse for that, Ken Russell's adaptation notwithstanding. Due largely to Pete Townshend's skill as a songwriter and composer, Tommy tells a coherent story and includes quality rock and roll at the same time, an impressive feat by itself. While surprisingly more linear than the later Quadrophenia, Tommy boasts several songs that stand up well on their own, including the classic "Pinball Wizard," "The Acid Queen," "I'm Free," and "Sally Simpson." Much of the rest doesn't make much sense lyrically unless you listen to the entire album, but you'll probably want to do that anyway, preferably with the lights low and the stereo cranked. --Genevieve Williams[/color]

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 03:23:25 AM »
Conclusion-
There will probably be some sort of connecting theme, like Detoxing,
but it will be loose rather than a really intricate concept - sound will win over concept

Then it´s going to be like Chronic 2001,it has a connecting theme going through it.

I hope it's more like the original Chronic or Doggystyle - only having 12 tracks is a great sign in my opinion. I'd like it to have the same thing as Doggystyle where all the tracks are mixed and constructed in a similar style, they have the same style drums, and multiple layers in each track, although each track is so unique within that style, and all the tracks stand out from each other. I liked 2001, but I thought it had way too many tracks and the good verses were spread too thin over it, if he'd trimmed that down to 12 tracks and put nothing but dope verses over them I think it'd have been ever better

To me, Doggystyle is actually more of a Dr Dre album, but with Snoop on it. Snoop was incredible on it, but if you think about it you could have put anyone half decent on those beats and it'd still been amazing. It's kind of like the second version of the Chronic, just with a bit more Snoop on it and no Dre verses. The only concept I'm concerned with for Detox is the idea of having 12 unbelievably dope beats with nothing but dope verses across them, and hopefully having a common production style over them while still making them all stand out. I couldn't really care less what they rap about, Detoxing, guns, bitches, science, kittens, trees, carrots - whatever, just make sure that shit is the hottest sounding shit we ever heard (ie Doggystyle part 2)

i can see why you don't mind if Dre makes a Chronic 3, but i just disagree with that.
it's not that i would discredit a chronic 3 in general, it's just that this is Dre's last album, he will never make another soloalbum after that.
that's why i want more than just an album with a "theme" like 2001 had. that doesn't mean that i think that Detox shouldn't be a gangster rap album; i just want him to update his formula.
that's why i like the idea of a concept album; it gives the feeling of a complete package to me  :)
Helter Skelter is basically a conceptalbum; it's far from perfect but i like how it was put together.

as far as the direction of the production of Detox; i think Dre has given hints of the sound of Detox in his recent productions, but not the actual production structure.
as discussed in this topic before;if you look at the production of the past few years, sometimes he kept it simple and sometimes he experimented a little ( like on Oh! from the Obie Trice - Cheers album and on Don't get carried away from The Big Bang by Busta Rhymes; notice how a different instrument is attached to each performer).

I just read some interesting things about the concept of this album. I agree in order for this to go down as a classic that will be remembered it just can't be "The Chronic 3" with a bunch of guests old and new even if it is dope music. I like the idea of Dre doing something bad and then going to "Detox". Maybe this could be the opening of Dre doing some dark gangsta tracks in the beginning of the album with some of the old guests that were mentioned in this thread, former Death Row inmates, maybe  Ren and Cube hey anything is possible and then having the theme of him going into a "Detox" type of thing and changing the production up to incorporate this new style with more jazzy beats and it would be a great way to introduce his protege Bishop Lamont into the world. I thought previoulsy that Crooked I would be dope to be included but now that I think of it maybe he is not a good "fit" for any of this album so I am leaving him off, except if maybe he were to be included in a cut with Bishop, the two of them on a song together would sound intriguing. But for the most part I think Bishop should be the feature for the "Detox" part which would comprise the second half of the album, I am thinking most of the cuts like Chad said earlier in the thread 70% Bishop would be a great idea. One thing I am having trouble though is the part of picking a first single, what should it be the "Detox" part or the early dark gangsta type track? Which would make more of an impact the way "Still DRE" did because Dre dropped a track right there which is a signature one and will be remembered as his comeback single? It has been a longer wait for a Dre single this time because he had "Been There Done That" in '96 so he dropped one 3 years later

i see, so you want some sort of transition from "old" to new?

but don't you think that your idea could mean a less consistent album if he makes the album consist of 2 parts?

I think the overall sound of the album would not be as consistent but I think the album itself as far as being a dope and classic album can be done. I'm not saying put in a whole bunch of different sounds and bunch them all together or even put in G-funk, just some gangsta type tracks in the beginning similar to a few that he had on "2001" bet even with a darker sounding vibe. Dre is great at sequencing the songs on an album so one track kind of flows on to the other one so I don't think it would be a problem for him.

the intro of Detox is called intervention.
not sure how dre is going to kick it off though; you'd expect him to come with some sort of warmup single.

he better not come with another still dre or forgot about dre.
don't get me wrong , i love those tracks, but the formula is too simple for me.
but the track will offcourse be considered as Dre's "comeback"  :P

the Detox part should come at the end; at least that would make sense to me  ;)
it's going to be a concept album after all.

yeah I don't think the same I'm Back type single would do the trick, I guess a street warmup single, I remember when "2001" came out there were leaks of songs like the OG "What's the Difference" with the unfinished beat. I remember hearing "Forgot About Dre" too. Both before "Still DRE" dropped

from a fan point of view i could probably still appreciate it, but i don't like the idea of dividing it roughly in 2 parts.
like Chad said:

fuck what sub-generes the rappers belong to.

Detox is going to have a wider mix of different styles/subgenres than 2001, because more people are involved this time.
i know that Dre is able to put it all together without making it seem like a compilation but am i really the only one that thinks that a general "theme" for the album is not enough  :-\ the way i see it, with all the people involved the only way to do it is to make a conceptalbum or am i mixing up a few things  :-\

yeah I don't think the same I'm Back type single would do the trick, I guess a street warmup single, I remember when "2001" came out there were leaks of songs like the OG "What's the Difference" with the unfinished beat. I remember hearing "Forgot About Dre" too. Both before "Still DRE" dropped
at least one snippet, and perhaps another youtube video; the bishop video had spread fast.

I always thought of Dre's albums as compilations so I don't really mind that part, but I didn't really mean to divide the album into 2 parts, just have maybe 3 tracks lets say featuring for instance on one Kurupt, RBX and Rage in a throwback type gangsta track. Dre, Cube and Ren on another one and then have a Snoop/Dre one. The rest could be Aftermath artists from the label primarily featuring on Bishop but of course I expect Em, Busta and even 50 on a track, hopefully just one with 50. I definitey think this would work along with the concept.  

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 03:23:32 AM »
so in the DJ Skee radio interview Bishop said that Dre's making two versions of Detox and decide from there  :-\

i don't see how that would make it easier for Dre.

sounds like yet another change of plans  ::)

he can go on as long as he wants, but it seems like he changes his mind so many times, which makes me wonder if Dre will ever be satisfied with a certain version of Detox  :P
and even if he's satisfied with a certain version, that doesn't necessarily mean that this vision will be shared by others; I mean, who knows what Dre has in the vaults.

so in the DJ Skee radio interview Bishop said that Dre's making two versions of Detox and decide from there  :-\
I don't see how that would make it easier for Dre.

I think this is a interesting way to work,he actually wants to see/hear what route/concept comes out best (in his opinion).  ;)
I mean instead of setling for one route/concept.

more material=more trouble for Dre; that's what i suspect.

It´s not like Dre don´t work anyway,so why not try to build a couple of visions/concepts instead of scrapping them?
For all we know he got 5 or more "Detox albums" in works.  :P

nah i'm just saying that, he's now "keeping" two versions, so i don't see how that would make it easier for him to choose, in compared to one.

I got that  ;)
But as I said,you never know what Bishop and/or Dre is keeping away from us.  :P
Yes,it will hard for him to choose. But he should do what he feels is right,trust his instinct.  ;)

ok, but i don't trust Dre's instinct.

I think with Detox people have been expecting the big new innovation to be musical - as in the beats... but I'm starting to think that the new innovation will be mainly the lyrical content... basically a huge mainstream album with different subject matter than we're used to - that's exactly what 'Grow Up' is

The beats will bang hard, no doubt, but I don't think they will be where the 'difference' is. Critics mainly criticized 2001 for it's cliched, tired lyrical content, and so I think Dre picked up on that and that's why he he's going to change the content with Detox - no more out and out gangsta shit (and therefore no room for Game or 50)

And if you think about it, Dre has never really be an innovator in beats... he has simply taken ideas that are already there and done them the best... G-Funk was already around, he just made two of the finest examples of that style with Chronic and Doggystyle... then people had been doing keyboard, minimalist beats for awhile when he brought out 2001... his shit was just louder and bigger and harder and clearer and all 5/5 beats on one album

I don't think Dre will do a Paul's Boutique on us. He's always had a very commercial ear and I think this album will sound very similar to what he's been doing for the past few years (though it will be some of the best beats of that type), and you may not even notice any difference until you've heard it several times... just like with 'Grow Up', because the difference will be in what's being said, not how it's being said or what beats it's over, at least that's what I'm guessing

So the revolution will probably be a subtle one... not an out and out sonic revolution with crazy new sounds and unpredictable song structures like on Paul's Boutique... 'Grow Up' is verse chorus verse chorus verse chorus... because that is what works on a large scale to get a big audience
I think the plan is to get that audience hooked with the typical structure and big banging beats they're used to, whilst slowly feeding them some new content instead of the same tired gangsta re-treads we've heard for the past 15 or so years

you're right, as it was pointed out so many times before, let's not expect a miracle.

but i think you should expect more from Detox than just an "upgrade" of the lyrics.

come on, the album has been re-worked so many times now, so i think it's only right to expect more improvement on the production side.

that doesn't necessarily imply that Detox won't sound somewhat similar to Dre's recent productions.

Now I'm just expecting banging beats, but in the same way 2001 was banging... several of them were some of the best Dre beats ever, though they weren't like groundbreaking in terms of doing something totally different

I think before I was expecting something totally different, like beats that change all the way through, or more layers, or whatever... I don't think we'll be seeing a big leap like that, it'll just be a collection of some of the best Dre beats he's ever done

agreed, 2001 wasn't a miracle, but you could say it wasn't just a chronic 2  ;)

i think it's good that your expectations for Detox aren't unrealistically high; maybe that'll help you take the album for what it's worth quicker if/when it drops.

i wonder why your expectations have changed though; i thought that reading info, like the stuff from my Detox topic, would lead to higher expectations  :laugh:

by the way, so you're basically expecting the best out of the current Dre production style/structure to be kept for Detox?
wouldn't you agree that it sounds disappointing, considering what's been told and how long the album has been worked on so far?
Dre didn't experiment much in the last few years  :P

Looking around the net at reactions to 'Grow Up' - it seems like 95% of people who hear it say the beat is awesome... compared to the initial reaction to it on here...

I think that's mainly because most music listeners haven't been following all the Detox info over the years... they probably heard it's going to come out, but aren't expecting it to be insanely different... so to most people who hear the 'Grow Up' beat, it's just a really big, dope, chilled beat... like I think if the Grow Up beat had been on Snoop's last album or on Game's new album, people here would have been like  :o :o ... because they wouldn't expect that 'new' style they think Dre is going to bring

i don't think it would make much of a difference to whom the beat had went to; Dre beats automatically lead to high expectations  :P
just look at how the stuff from the blue carpet treatment was criticised for example  ;)

My expectations changed kind of based off of 'Grow Up'... they didn't really change, that track just more confirmed to me what I already suspected - that Dre will go with what sounds good over some crazy new thing that is different for the sake of being different. I was open to it being crazily different (and I was kind of hoping it would be), but after hearing 'Grow Up', that kind of did it for me... now all I am expecting are dope beats in the same style or only slightly different - I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be disappointed if it's what I think it will be

Concept albums often screw up because the concept becomes the focus and you get some weak tracks which make the concept work but sound like shit, so it always made sense that a lot of it would go out of the window in favor of what just sounds good. Like you could come up with a crazy idea that looks good on paper, like let's make the whole thing change throughout the track, use this instrument to represent this, etc, but if it doesn't sound as dope as just looping something up with massive drums, then Dre seems like the type who will just go for the better sounding option every time (which is good IMO)

i don't think it would make much of a difference to whom the beat had went to; Dre beats automatically lead to high expectations  :P
just look at how the stuff from the blue carpet treatment was criticised for example  ;)

They always do lead to high expectations, but Detox is that plus like 10000% on top... even though people say they thought those beats on blue carpet treatment weren't some of Dre's best, people often still say they're the best beats on the album!

I feel what Bishop i s saying about Dre...we (or at least I) do want to know what transpired with the Death Row situation, Eazy-E, 2Pac and all that...cuz we've never heard Dre speak on those situations...we've heard Suge's side, we heard what Pac was callin' Dre before his death, and we know Dre was there with Eazy at the hospital...but aside from "The Watcher", we haven't heard Dre's thoughts & feelings about everything becuz he holds that personal to him...

Going along the lines of "Grow Up", "Imagine" and other songs on that reflective tip, I think Detox would be a good airing-out session for Dre, where he can still do his gangsta shit, but be more reflective and grown up about the shit....that would change the game IMHO...cuz rap music needs to grow up and be taken ffrom these kiddie-boppers like Souljah Boy...

well Bruce revealed a couple of things in the rollin wit' dre book, but yeah Dre didn't speak on those issues by himself so i see your point  ;)

I feel Chronic 2001 sort of covered most of that.
The Watcher spoke on the Suge/Death Row thing,Still DRE and Forgot About Dre spoke on his rise,fall and redemption.
He touched on Eazy (barely) on What's the Difference and his brothers death on the message.

Not sure if I want to hear this again,he should write a book or do a movie about his life instead.

when taking into account that Dre faces difficulties with speaking on such personal things
and the fact that it's hard to fit in these stories with the previous plans, i'd say scrap it.

what was wrong with the whole alter ego plan  :P
scrap the autobiography shit, it's too predictable

i doubt Dre would take the route that Erotic seems to head for with the Black Bruce Willis;
but he can always go for a different story and write from that perspective.

Did I say that? I would love love if Dre took the alter ego route  ;) ;)

no, it was just a question in general  ;)

so not addresed to me?
anyway,fuck the autobiography idea.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
anyway i want to thank all the contributors of good detox related threads, especially Chad Vader, since he's put a lot of work in it  :)