Author Topic: Dreams- Purpose of your night dreams- discussion  (Read 142 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Dreams- Purpose of your night dreams- discussion
« on: February 14, 2008, 09:38:53 AM »
I recently came across a very interesting article on the purpose of the dreams we have at night in relation to anxiety.

Basically, we don't have dreams haphazardly, like many people think.  You will hear so many people say, "my dreams don't make any sense"  And then their are dream interpreters that supposedly say that the faces of people in our dreams have no significance.

Well, actually from what I read, everything we see and do in our dreams is a part of our minds effort to release anxiety.

The mind releases anxiety by switching from our narcisist, ego-driven individualist mindstate to our jealous, giult-driven, societal mindstate.

So lets say you make a decision that pleases you individually, in your dreams you may face giult and shame from family and society.... or vice versa if you do something to please society in your dream you my find yourself doing something very bold and unacceptable in society.

That's all I got for ya, maybe yall have some other interpretations of dreams.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Dreams- Purpose of your night dreams- discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 04:04:03 PM »
In my opinion dreams are just something to balance out all that one lacks in real life. Like, when someone never has sex, he gon dream about sex all the time. That's a plain and trivial example, it can get way deeper.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Elevz

Re: Dreams- Purpose of your night dreams- discussion
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 05:18:55 AM »
Do you remember where you got the article from? Because it seems you're talking about one of the biggest classics in the history of psychology - Freud's psychodynamic approach to the subliminal meaning of dreams, but there's some things mixed up in the way you put it. It's an old theory though; dating back from the end of the 19th century. It's theoretically in line with the rest of Freud's works. Let me elaborate somewhat:

I recently came across a very interesting article on the purpose of the dreams we have at night in relation to anxiety.

Basically, we don't have dreams haphazardly, like many people think.  You will hear so many people say, "my dreams don't make any sense"  And then their are dream interpreters that supposedly say that the faces of people in our dreams have no significance.

Well, actually from what I read, everything we see and do in our dreams is a part of our minds effort to release anxiety.

That much, according to Freud's theories, is true. Dreams are a way to deal with anxiety unconsciously. Anxiety is a threat to our mental well being, thus the mind looks for a way to deal with reality to dismantle those threats. People use defense mechanisms such as denial, repression, sublimation, rationalization and displacement to alter the perception of threats. That of course doesn't change the nature of these threats, but it does make them psychologically bearable for the individual, who's not aware of the mental processes going on. That's where Freud also regards dreams as a way to deal with anxiety, albeit in a less direct way: Freud said dreams were simply a reflection of wish fulfillment. You want something very badly, and you experience it in your dreams since you haven't been able to live up to thoses wishes in real life (yet). The flaws of your realistic situation could cause anxiety, which is covered up by the experiences you have in your dreams.

According to the very same theory, these dreams have to have a very strong metaphorical character. If dreams were straightforward, you would be too conscious of what's going on. Dreams are a way to trick yourself. If you were to grasp their meaning, they wouldn't be able to trick you. That's why they seem confusing and meaningless.

The mind releases anxiety by switching from our narcisist, ego-driven individualist mindstate to our jealous, giult-driven, societal mindstate.

So lets say you make a decision that pleases you individually, in your dreams you may face giult and shame from family and society.... or vice versa if you do something to please society in your dream you my find yourself doing something very bold and unacceptable in society.

According to Freud, the individual's mind is in short formed out of three components:
- id: the selfcentered pleasure-seeking drives and impulses
- superego: the censoring socialized morality
- ego: the intermediary force which brings together id and superego, forming a critical mind which gives shape to the individuals feelings and behavior.

The ego is the only conscious part of the brain; id and superego are unconscious. It is still your ego that turns the latent content of your dreams (the subliminal meaning) into manifest content (the things you actually see in your dreams). Even though you're not awake, ego still holds control over what happens here. If you experience guilt in your dreams while you were so perfectly selfishly happy when you were awake, that means you've been neglecting your superego while you were awake. If that's the case, you probably have a very strongly developed superego, which was simply neglected by the ego during the moments of happiness. The guilt you experienced during your dream, was a way of the ego to set that straight.
In other words: such dreams are a little more complex than simply a switch from narciccism to righteousness.

And if I may speak freely; I think that if you experience dreams like that, you're probably living a life full of mental defense mechanisms, causing yourself to feel guilt over your natural features. That's a very spiritual way to think, but at the same time it's very threatening to your personal well being as you're basically living in contradicting terms with your life on earth. Remember that your body doesn't give impulses over nothing: pain is an indicator of danger and threat, while pleasure indicates successful life. Such are the life ensuring mechanisms of the body. If you're afterwards experiencing (subliminal) guilt through your dreams as a means of your ego to tell you you've been neglecting your superego... That means you basically hate life.