Author Topic: hey european people  (Read 791 times)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: hey european people
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2008, 02:07:17 AM »
Sell the cash on ebay, there's always some cunt out there willing to buy something that's utterly worthless.
Personally, I'd keep it now, or at least do it Noah's Arch style and keep at least something from every currency as a little collection. It's not like you're gonna get rich by selling it on ebay

Don Seer

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2008, 02:33:21 AM »
What tribal language will dominate the world then?

english bitch!

All EU documentation is done in ENGLISH (used to be french).. even though we dont use the wack ass currency..

and even though its not a lot of peoples "first" language its still dominant...

check this shit..

order by speakers... not necessarily as a first language..

1 Mandarin Chinese (1.12 billion)
2 English (480 million)
3 Spanish (320 million)
4 Russian (285 million)
5 French (265 million)
6 Hindi/Urdu (250 million)
7 Arabic (221 million)

but if you look at how many countries speak those lanaguges.. look how widespread english is..

1 English (115)
2 French (35)
3 Arabic (24)
4 Spanish (20)
5 Russian (16)
6 German (9)
7 Mandarin (5)

here is a chart showing the strength in terms of influence..

1 English (37)
2 French (23)
3 Spanish (20)
4 Russian (16)
5 Arabic (14)
6 Chinese (13)
7 German (12)

chinese may have a lot of speakers, but they really only speak it in the east.. we wont start speaking it.. will we?

english is a funny language because really... its best suited to change and adapt because thats how it was 'created'

quick history lesson..

1. way back the english spoke a celtic tongue.. like native welsh or cornish today

2. a people called Frisians came from a part of holland.. they spoke a germanic language
 (frisian english imported celtic words)

3. the vikings invaded and eventually settled.. there was a divide.. the new nobility spoke norse, the lower classes what we'll call old english (german sounding)
 (frisian + celtic english imported norse words)

4. then the french took over... again the nobility spoke french, the common people carried on.. but.. the frisian + celtic + norse influenced english imported many many french words in the 300 year period they were in control

5  the french rulers lost control of their seats of power in france and the french running things in england were isolated, took english wives etc and had to integrate as they had no "home" to go to..

6 the black death happened killng a fuck load of people.. this in part changed in what was called the vowel shift.. it caused english to shift into sounding like it does today..  regional dialects blurred more as more people moved out of their locales.

7.. america discovered and colonised.. the early puritan settlers editted the english dictionary and mad a "primer" based upon this.. this was taught across america from day 1.

in england you can go 50 miles and tell where you are by how different the people sound.. but i'm told its less obvious in america due to the speed at which english rolled out across the states..

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2008, 03:07:34 AM »
^ Elevz' reference was a joking one, but that's all pretty interesting, some stuff I didn't know, so props anyways.

But, seriously, can you Brits answer me if all this fuck-the-euro stuff is just a game or if you seriously think it's a "wack ass currency" and if so why? I don't live on Euro territory either (Switzerland), so we got something in common, but the € is doing daaamn good at the moment, compared to the £, let alone the $........

da_notorious_mack

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2008, 03:50:43 AM »
the easiest way to put it is we are an island and the majority have an islanders mentality...this is not helped when a man nobody voted into an office refuses to give us any choice in the matter and trys to shepherd us into somethin nobody particulary wants or see's a need for...its not just the currency it is the fact we are handing over the right to make our laws to a foreign state...and having seen europes attitude towards our farmers and refusing to share the load when it comes to immigration

im english...british...but ill never class myself as a european end of discussion..not even disrespectin anyone who does...i just get agitated how our own government chip away at our national pride then complain about the lack of family values..its a joke

Don Seer

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2008, 04:24:04 AM »
^ yup..

many countries dont follow the rules laid down by the EU anyways..

simple fact is.. not every rule suits every country.. just like not every rule within a country suits everyone (e.g. rural dwellers etc)

btw my girlfriend teaches english (and media) at sixth form.. for a-level and gcse lol..

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2008, 06:17:06 AM »
the easiest way to put it is we are an island and the majority have an islanders mentality...this is not helped when a man nobody voted into an office refuses to give us any choice in the matter and trys to shepherd us into somethin nobody particulary wants or see's a need for...its not just the currency it is the fact we are handing over the right to make our laws to a foreign state...and having seen europes attitude towards our farmers and refusing to share the load when it comes to immigration

im english...british...but ill never class myself as a european end of discussion..not even disrespectin anyone who does...i just get agitated how our own government chip away at our national pride then complain about the lack of family values..its a joke
First off, I don't wanna attack you Brits, but while I'm aware of the mentality you're talking about, it still seems slightly strange to me. You don't have people from Faröer, Iceland or Sicily saying they're not Europeans; you probably don't have many Philippinos, Taiwanese and Japs saying they're not Asian either. Historically, culturally and in pretty much any way I can think of, the UK might be an island country, but how are you supposed to be anything other than Europeans?

I don't know what exactly Brown and his buddies are complaining about in terms of family values, but can you outline what you mean by "chipping away national pride"? Also, don't take offense, but what is your statement of refusing to share the immigration load referring to? I know you've got a lot of immigration related to the history of the British Empire and the Commonwealth, but you know how many people end up stranded on the shores of Andalucia, Sicily and Lampedusa every year? France is full of Algerians and Senegalese, Berlin has the second largest Turkish population on the planet....I'm just saying, this is an immigrant continent, so I'm wondering what in particular you were talking about here. Always willing to learn something new though...

As for the currency, I'm no expert on this subject, but apart from national pride or what you wanna call it (the £ symbolizing British sovereignity), I think the arguments against adopting the € were/are basically related to economical evaluations and all I'm noting is that while the euro goes up, the pound goes down. But I'd need to learn a whole lot more about this in order to be able to tell whether I think you should start using the euro or not. What I do know is that you have the option to up there, but no one's trying to force you into doing it as far as I can tell.

And Seer you're of course right about the difficulties of trying to create rules for a large number of countries. But what I feel I have to keep telling everyone anti-EU is that, in spite of all its flaws, what this organization has done for Europe since WWII is impressive. This is coming from someone whose country won't be a member in a 1000 years most likely.

da_notorious_mack

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2008, 06:48:38 AM »
i never said it wasnt strange or even right...i just stated that is the mentality it's hard to explain...basically i think we dont like most of europe and they dont like us...which is o.k to a degree as long as theres a be-grudged respect...however the balance of power will shift when Brussels is in control of our purse strings...and i think most people here think we will get a raw deal when compared to France,Germany etc who tend to side together on most things...we would also more than likely be strong-armed into being less cordial with the americans who have been our main allies both military and diplomatically...also you talk about the rates of exchange but with our government you can gaurantee prices will rise in accordance with it plus the fact of if France have any say we will end up subsidizing even more of their farmers and at the slightest hint of a bse outbreak have a blanket ban on extorting meat...which will decimate an argricultural sector that is already teetering over the edge...ohand as for frances immigrants a good percentage of them end up here...partially because of our government avoidin the issue due to being PC and France putting its detention centres in Calais which just happens to be the main port to England...as i understand it all they have to do is jump a fence as it is not exactly secure

another reason i think were opposed is the fact is we are not shown the facts and allowed to decide we are just having it rammed down our throat...as for the family values thing it started with labour not Brown and its longwinded and dosent really tie in with the subject @ hand

my main problem with it all is it is all seemingly ties in with orwells 1984 where we have 3 super-states and the research ive done into illuminati

Doggystylin

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2008, 05:21:50 PM »
What tribal language will dominate the world then?

english bitch!

All EU documentation is done in ENGLISH (used to be french).. even though we dont use the wack ass currency..

and even though its not a lot of peoples "first" language its still dominant...

check this shit..

order by speakers... not necessarily as a first language..

1 Mandarin Chinese (1.12 billion)
2 English (480 million)
3 Spanish (320 million)
4 Russian (285 million)
5 French (265 million)
6 Hindi/Urdu (250 million)
7 Arabic (221 million)

but if you look at how many countries speak those lanaguges.. look how widespread english is..

1 English (115)
2 French (35)
3 Arabic (24)
4 Spanish (20)
5 Russian (16)
6 German (9)
7 Mandarin (5)

here is a chart showing the strength in terms of influence..

1 English (37)
2 French (23)
3 Spanish (20)
4 Russian (16)
5 Arabic (14)
6 Chinese (13)
7 German (12)

chinese may have a lot of speakers, but they really only speak it in the east.. we wont start speaking it.. will we?

english is a funny language because really... its best suited to change and adapt because thats how it was 'created'

quick history lesson..

1. way back the english spoke a celtic tongue.. like native welsh or cornish today

2. a people called Frisians came from a part of holland.. they spoke a germanic language
 (frisian english imported celtic words)

3. the vikings invaded and eventually settled.. there was a divide.. the new nobility spoke norse, the lower classes what we'll call old english (german sounding)
 (frisian + celtic english imported norse words)

4. then the french took over... again the nobility spoke french, the common people carried on.. but.. the frisian + celtic + norse influenced english imported many many french words in the 300 year period they were in control

5  the french rulers lost control of their seats of power in france and the french running things in england were isolated, took english wives etc and had to integrate as they had no "home" to go to..

6 the black death happened killng a fuck load of people.. this in part changed in what was called the vowel shift.. it caused english to shift into sounding like it does today..  regional dialects blurred more as more people moved out of their locales.

7.. america discovered and colonised.. the early puritan settlers editted the english dictionary and mad a "primer" based upon this.. this was taught across america from day 1.

in england you can go 50 miles and tell where you are by how different the people sound.. but i'm told its less obvious in america due to the speed at which english rolled out across the states..

that post was very interesting, thank you, informative seer.