Author Topic: Barack Obama on Hip-Hop... a great interview  (Read 1157 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Barack Obama on Hip-Hop... a great interview
« on: February 29, 2008, 08:43:25 AM »
Dude's got mad swag
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pFSVG7jRp_g" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pFSVG7jRp_g</a>

Ozir

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside!
Re: Barack Obama on Hip-Hop... a great interview
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 10:49:45 AM »
This was dope.  Thanks for posting it.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 10:58:13 AM »
yes, he def got some swag

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 03:05:07 PM »
Who gives a fuck what kind of music he listens to?

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 04:24:03 PM »
I like this guy more every time I hear him speak.

Narrator

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 11:23:04 AM »
Yeah, he got swag alright.  Then again, even my grandparents know who Jay-Z and Kanye are.

Allah does.

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 12:02:46 PM »
Seriously, I'm more interested in whether he wears boxers or briefs.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 12:24:32 PM »

Hilary looks like a truly evil witch, McCain acts like a mental patient..compared to those 2 Obama looks positively glowing.

Elevz

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 01:31:11 PM »

With the race for the presidency practically being all about personality instead of about political positions, what else could tell you more about the personality behind the face?

However, am I the only one who thinks Barack really exposed himself with this one? He listens to gangstarappers and then says he doesn't like the message about mistreating women, glorifying wealth and preaching violence. Umm... How much of a hypocrit can you be? I really fail to see the swag in that one. That's chameleon behavior. That's slickness. That's failing to pass judgement and act accordingly. Is that really the guy you're hoping to become the most important man in the world for the next 8 years?

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 03:20:52 PM »
However, am I the only one who thinks Barack really exposed himself with this one? He listens to gangstarappers and then says he doesn't like the message about mistreating women, glorifying wealth and preaching violence. Umm... How much of a hypocrit can you be? I really fail to see the swag in that one. That's chameleon behavior. That's slickness. That's failing to pass judgement and act accordingly. Is that really the guy you're hoping to become the most important man in the world for the next 8 years?
He said he listens to these guys, but that doesn't mean he'll necessarily have to agree with everything. I have listened to gangsta rap a lot and I still do at times and I never once agreed with the mysoginism and the glorification of violence prevalent in that genre. That is because there were/are other things to like the music for; it can get too much and there are songs that actually manage to get on my nerves. It sure is slightly ambivalent, but I wouldn't label it "hypocritical"; I got a lot of fucking respect for Jigga for example, cause he made 3 great albums, a lot of great  songs and he's an impressive example of a black entrepreneur who started from scratch and has built up something huge. Still, he's done shit songs too and his over-the-top materialism can be annoying. I think generally, you'll just have to draw the line for yourself and decide when things go too far in terms of stuff you disagree with and how much you will take as long as there is a side you like about it too. In Obama's case, it seems to me that he's made a valid point in both paying respect to the positive sides of this music and critisizing the negative sides. The subject is too complex to just "pass judgement" in my opinion, and that's why I agree with him.

I'm not trying to attack you in any way, but I'm curious: Assuming that you're not the type to support mysoginism, do you listen to Biggie? Snoop? Dre? If you think violence should be strictly condemned, do you listen to Pac? Eminem? Big L?

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 03:27:23 PM »
interesting eye must admit this kind of changed my view on this man. eye think eye might take the time to see whats hes is a about and where he stands on certain issues (eye might actually vote this time  ;D) eye must admit, this nigga got swag. thank you for this post

Elevz

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 03:37:48 PM »
I totally see where you're coming from, and as for struggling and making it big, they sure are some great examples of entrepreneurship. Thing is, Obama says he likes their music, yet all I heard in Jay-Z's music last time I checked was exactly what Obama denounces. Why would he listen to that, if he's so much against the content?

Indeed, I'm not the type to support misogynism. That alone makes me an outsider within the hiphop scene. I don't listen to a whole lot of hip-hop anymore and my taste has changed greatly over the past few years (you'll remember me praising Onyx for their great albums in the 90s). I'm a jazz slash folk music man now, but when I listen to hip-hop it'll be Common, De La Soul, Nas, The Roots, Opgezwolle, Jeru The Damaja, Little Brother, Dangerdoom, Madvillain, Boogie Down Productions. Those are the only hip-hop artists in my Last FM top30 - other than that it's pretty much all jazz and some pop/folk classics. No misogyny there.

Elevz

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 03:39:13 PM »
Oh, and how does everyone keep saying Obama got swag in this interview, when really he stuttered his way through the answers and his stance can be interpreted as rather contradictive?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 04:56:10 PM »

With the race for the presidency practically being all about personality instead of about political positions, what else could tell you more about the personality behind the face?

I listen to Ice Cube and I strongly denounce racism (even towards whites). At the end of the day it's music, to have fun listening to, those guys don't have to be righteous preachers or role-models.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Narrator

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 05:01:52 PM »

I listen to Ice Cube and I strongly denounce racism (even towards whites). At the end of the day it's music, to have fun listening to, those guys don't have to be righteous preachers or role-models.

Exactly.

Eleven 2 Three, you been saying way too much stupid shit lately.  What, you trying to set a record for how low can crackers go?  You need to think more before you speak, before Allah is forced to cut out your tongue and shove it up your sphincter, so that the next time you shit, you shit on your tongue.