Author Topic: Why West Coast Fans Do Not Allow Musical Growth In Their Artists?  (Read 2965 times)

D~Nice

Re: Why West Coast Fans Do Not Allow Musical Growth In Their Artists?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 11:09:51 AM »
yep... damn shame, something thats crossing my mind though.. Would West Coast Fans would consider Glasses Malone song a West coast Song  if Young Jeezy was flowing instead of him... funny how a name could change everything when style is really similar to another

Probably would write it off as a South song. Same with the Mike Jones My 64 song.

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Screw Head Lifestylez
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 11:27:29 AM »
. . . .predominant in westcoast fans, but its a universal thing with Hip-Hop really. usually happens when you expect to get a new service/treatment you've come to expect from a long-lasting product.

snoop's siamese fanbase is majorily his own fault, especially when he takes it upon himself to do innovative and new ventures like Rhythm & Gangsta and Ego Trippin'. by doing that you have a split ratio, some will either love it or some will hate it. doing anything after awhile becomes routine (Snoop has made it "routine" to do both: 1) innovative new ventures, while still backtracking to the, 2) gangsta-rap cliches). so he is never going to actually please both fanbases until he can get a proper, consistent compromise of the two. I dont see that happening anytime soon, he has the potential and talent for it but the direction not necessarily.

also: am I alone when I say the execution of R&G is far superior to that of Ego Trippin'?

D~Nice

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 11:50:15 AM »
That is a good point also 4108.

arthurnelson88

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • RIP Buster
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 12:22:45 PM »
To say Snoop would need 2 drop a "Hip Hop" album of East coast beats (bcuz thats wat YOU love) is fuckin' wack.  The dubcc fans just wana hear Snoop ova 808 drums and Gangsta/Jazzy melodies.  But some of ya'll do put it in a good perspective though, maybe Snoop should drop a double album, 1 for tha older generation of Snoop fans and 1 for the newer.  U cant say Snoop is loosin' fans bcuz u still play DoggyStyle like it came out this mornin', thats like sayin' 2Pac is better NOW than then he waz back then.......????..... riiiite.   just bcuz u dont like it doesnt mean u have 2 brew hate and jealousy ova anotha man's work.  When I hear a classic album from some1 on tha internet forums, then i'll start 2 second guess people's OPINIONS.  Snoop is the Rap Version of Madonna, he can do shit like Rn'G and then turn around n drop a "Deep Cover 2010", Snoop is tha shit- stop denyin' urselfs.  I'm not a dickryder but 2 say that niggas fallin' off or loosin' his fans and his ways is fuckin' histerical.  just like my man David Banner said, ALL u folx wana hear is the "struggle", "money", "cars", "sex", "crime", "drugs", "love" songs, once an artists steps out that box nobody would wana hear it, honestly could u imagine a song if Snoop was rappin' about bein' a bird- maybe he could be a bird of coke and tell a story but otha than that that shit would be wack.  dont b so judgemental on somethin that doesnt envolve u
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 12:45:21 PM by arthurnelson88 »
I only fuck with 10's

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 01:20:08 PM »
I would love to see some musical growth - if he put out a cd with him singing, and it was dope singing and he did it over really dope beats, no problem.

The problem is if you make a weak album, with 3/4s of the beats being so-so filler tracks, the raps sounding rushed and uninspired and like you're on autopilot, and you have these cheesy hooks that directly appeal to kids, then you have to expect people to call you out on it. You can't hide behind the excuse of 'oh, but I'm trying something different! Why won't you let me grow as an artist?' - it's like fine, you can do what you like, but I'm not spending money to buy something that is half-assed. It's like 'support the artists, support the west coast!' - not if they're making some wack shit you're not feeling, where is the sense in that, things only improve if you stand up and say hey, this shit isn't really good enough

Real Snoop fans don't go, "well gee snoop, thanks for another kind of ok album" to file away under 'snoop albums that aren't half as good as Doggystyle' - real Snoop fans know how fucking dope he can be on the mic, doesn't matter if he's talking gangsta shit, doesn't matter if he's talking about whatever, or singing, as long as it sounds dope. It must be mad frustrating for him hearing people always asking about if he's hooked up with Dre again, or people always talking about Doggystyle as his best album, but that's what fans want, that level of quality, and real fans will always keep on at him because they know he has it in him to do another truly amazing album

His new album isn't awful. It's better than a lot of things out there, and I still enjoy hearing Snoops style, but once you know how much better he can be, it seems such a shame to settle for less. In the future, Ego Trippin is not going to be mentioned in the same sentence with great albums such as Chronic, Doggstyle, Illmatic, 36 Chambers, etc, it's a here today gone tomorrow album, but it doesn't have to be that way, he can make something great

There's a reason Doggystyle is his most popular album and is named as one of the best rap albums ever. When I first heard that album my jaw dropped as soon as I heard each beat on that album. I didn't sit around thinking, damn, do I like this album? I'ma have to give it a few more spins. I didn't go, mmm, 6 tracks I've heard are kind of so-so, but maybe the album will pick itself up in the next few tracks. No. It was mindblowing within the first few seconds of each track! And then the verses, same shit, there isn't a weak verse on there, everything is so ill

It's more about quality control than anything else, in my opinion. I don't care what he raps about, I don't really care if he has g-funk beats or neptunes beats or whatever. What I want is an album where I'm constantly going 'holy shit!', on both the beats and the verses.
This is what Dre does and is why Chronic and Doggystyle are so dope, because he takes his time and makes sure he ONLY has tracks which hit you like that. If the beat doesn't make your brain melt within the first bar, then throw it away until you find a beat that does, if a verse is kinda lame and just ok, scrap it until you write something that's insane

WestCoasta

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 01:21:25 PM »
it's not just West Coast, it's people

trust me, it's not like West Coast fans are the only ones who get weird about music

thisoneguy360

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 01:23:32 PM »
I'm all for growth, i'm just not down with shit like "Sexual Eruption"

arthurnelson88

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • RIP Buster
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 03:42:08 PM »
I would love to see some musical growth - if he put out a cd with him singing, and it was dope singing and he did it over really dope beats, no problem.

The problem is if you make a weak album, with 3/4s of the beats being so-so filler tracks, the raps sounding rushed and uninspired and like you're on autopilot, and you have these cheesy hooks that directly appeal to kids, then you have to expect people to call you out on it. You can't hide behind the excuse of 'oh, but I'm trying something different! Why won't you let me grow as an artist?' - it's like fine, you can do what you like, but I'm not spending money to buy something that is half-assed. It's like 'support the artists, support the west coast!' - not if they're making some wack shit you're not feeling, where is the sense in that, things only improve if you stand up and say hey, this shit isn't really good enough

Real Snoop fans don't go, "well gee snoop, thanks for another kind of ok album" to file away under 'snoop albums that aren't half as good as Doggystyle' - real Snoop fans know how fucking dope he can be on the mic, doesn't matter if he's talking gangsta shit, doesn't matter if he's talking about whatever, or singing, as long as it sounds dope. It must be mad frustrating for him hearing people always asking about if he's hooked up with Dre again, or people always talking about Doggystyle as his best album, but that's what fans want, that level of quality, and real fans will always keep on at him because they know he has it in him to do another truly amazing album

His new album isn't awful. It's better than a lot of things out there, and I still enjoy hearing Snoops style, but once you know how much better he can be, it seems such a shame to settle for less. In the future, Ego Trippin is not going to be mentioned in the same sentence with great albums such as Chronic, Doggstyle, Illmatic, 36 Chambers, etc, it's a here today gone tomorrow album, but it doesn't have to be that way, he can make something great

There's a reason Doggystyle is his most popular album and is named as one of the best rap albums ever. When I first heard that album my jaw dropped as soon as I heard each beat on that album. I didn't sit around thinking, damn, do I like this album? I'ma have to give it a few more spins. I didn't go, mmm, 6 tracks I've heard are kind of so-so, but maybe the album will pick itself up in the next few tracks. No. It was mindblowing within the first few seconds of each track! And then the verses, same shit, there isn't a weak verse on there, everything is so ill

It's more about quality control than anything else, in my opinion. I don't care what he raps about, I don't really care if he has g-funk beats or neptunes beats or whatever. What I want is an album where I'm constantly going 'holy shit!', on both the beats and the verses.
This is what Dre does and is why Chronic and Doggystyle are so dope, because he takes his time and makes sure he ONLY has tracks which hit you like that. If the beat doesn't make your brain melt within the first bar, then throw it away until you find a beat that does, if a verse is kinda lame and just ok, scrap it until you write something that's insane

dogg all tha albums u mentioned were from tha 92/94 era, even Snoop said himself he cant recreate that shit.  exactly wat r u expectin', not just from Snoop but every artist in EVERY genre.  ur settin' tha bar so high that it cant b touched, not even by jesus himself.  the chronic ONLY took FOUR MONTHS, and Doggystyle took less than a year.  half tha shit they were rappin about didnt even match tha rhyme scheme that tha song was about. 

wats wrong wit' recreatin urself every time u come out, just like obama change has gotta come.  since this has bcome anotha Ego Trippin thread i mite as well say all u want 2 hear is Nate, Dre, DPG, Rage, WG on his albums only, bcuz keep it real thats wat u want, just like most ppl.  but 2 me ive grown up wit' Snoop since Doggystyle and im lovin' this new direction, i couldnt imagine him tryna release anotha Doggystyle- that whole concept would b outdated.  ALL Dr. Dre beats and only DPG features, if u ask me Dr. Dre aint tha greatest producer anymore, Nate cant harmonize like he used 2, rage's voice is kinda off, and Daz n' Kurupt are fuckin' wack- even though Kurupt MURDERED that freestyle in tha new Snoop video.

Snoop is bigger than Doggstyle now.  Dre is backed in2 a corner wit' havin' 2 worry about droppin anotha album better than the chronic issues *kinda like tha sophmore jinx even though its his 3rd solo*.  WG/Nate is kool but they aint really that fresh anymore.  DPG fell off ALONG time ago, even though i still respect them, im not gonna buy a new album, not wit dem niggaz still flowin like that.  Now wen it comes 2 niggaz like Soopafly, Quik, Cube, Game, Bad Lucc, and prolly a few more niggaz out there they still got it and they gettin better wit' time (cube is 50/50 tho - production wise).  wen it comes 2 tha west, they put theyself in a small box- MOST of their flows is really off, they aint really gettin all that good of beats and its always that signature west sound, thats kool 2 have but 'NO' they should re-invent tha sound wit' a new edge, every other coast has but the west.

But back 2 tha Chronic/Doggystyle burden that Snoop and Dre carry... The Chronic only has 10 or 11 tracks and DoggyStyle had like 9 or 10 songs, so u mean 2 tell me if Snoop cut tha number of tracks he releases in half that he wouldnt STILL be droppin' wat u label a classic?

00 - A Word Witcha'
01 - Press Play
02 - SD Is Out
03 - Neva Have 2 Worry
04 - Sexual Seduction
05 - Deez Hollywood Nitez
06 - Whateva U Do
07 - Been Around The World
08 - Thoze Girls
09 - One Chance

put some interludes (WBALLZ) in it and release that, u mean 2 tell me u would say that wouldnt b a classic or damn good album, even though it already is???? ur lyin 2 urself.  u would play that album from front 2 back, i know u would and its not even bcuz those r my favorites, its bcuz that shit is QUALITY music.  u could probably add some more songs on that too.

All im just sayin is stop expecting Snoop and them 2 just come out wit' somethin' that u aint neva heard b4, bcuz if they did u probably wouldnt like it.
I only fuck with 10's

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 03:59:05 PM »
dogg all tha albums u mentioned were from tha 92/94 era, even Snoop said himself he cant recreate that shit.  exactly wat r u expectin', not just from Snoop but every artist in EVERY genre.  ur settin' tha bar so high that it cant b touched, not even by jesus himself.  the chronic ONLY took FOUR MONTHS, and Doggystyle took less than a year.  half tha shit they were rappin about didnt even match tha rhyme scheme that tha song was about. 

It's not about recreating it, it's about getting to that standard - they reached it once they can reach it again. What you're basically saying is that people should just expect wack shit from now on, because we can't possibly have more classics, which is bullshit IMO

wats wrong wit' recreatin urself every time u come out, just like obama change has gotta come.  since this has bcome anotha Ego Trippin thread i mite as well say all u want 2 hear is Nate, Dre, DPG, Rage, WG on his albums only, bcuz keep it real thats wat u want, just like most ppl. 

He could put whoever he likes on, as long as it's dope. For me it's not about west coast or getting the old crew together, it's about putting together a really good album

but 2 me ive grown up wit' Snoop since Doggystyle and im lovin' this new direction, i couldnt imagine him tryna release anotha Doggystyle- that whole concept would b outdated.  ALL Dr. Dre beats and only DPG features, if u ask me Dr. Dre aint tha greatest producer anymore, Nate cant harmonize like he used 2, rage's voice is kinda off, and Daz n' Kurupt are fuckin' wack- even though Kurupt MURDERED that freestyle in tha new Snoop video.

Doesn't have to be Dre and all those people, he could go to anyone for beats, just make sure they're not some half-assed shit. The concept of Doggystyle will never be outdated, because the basic concept was - make every beat a banger and drop nothing but hot verses

Snoop is bigger than Doggstyle now. 

That's part of the problem, Snoop is bigger outside of music now - his tv stuff, movie stuff, being a house hold name - but MUSICALLY he has never gotten as big as Doggystyle - that album sold three times what any of his others have, and it's easily his most critically acclaimed album, it's up there with all the greatest hiphop albums, unlike his other albums

But back 2 tha Chronic/Doggystyle burden that Snoop and Dre carry... The Chronic only has 10 or 11 tracks and DoggyStyle had like 9 or 10 songs, so u mean 2 tell me if Snoop cut tha number of tracks he releases in half that he wouldnt STILL be droppin' wat u label a classic?

00 - A Word Witcha'
01 - Press Play
02 - SD Is Out
03 - Neva Have 2 Worry
04 - Sexual Seduction
05 - Deez Hollywood Nitez
06 - Whateva U Do
07 - Been Around The World
08 - Thoze Girls
09 - One Chance

put some interludes (WBALLZ) in it and release that, u mean 2 tell me u would say that wouldnt b a classic or damn good album, even though it already is???? ur lyin 2 urself.  u would play that album from front 2 back, i know u would and its not even bcuz those r my favorites, its bcuz that shit is QUALITY music.  u could probably add some more songs on that too.

You have to be kidding me, that album would be a joke compared to Doggystyle! It definitely wouldn't be a classic, it's a couple of pop singles, mediocre beats and some so-so verses

D~Nice

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 04:07:51 PM »

trust me, it's not like West Coast fans are the only ones who get weird about music

I understand that but I am talking about the west coast right now. I even said artists in general but it's more prevalent with wc artists. I also mentioned this happened to Nas before.

WestCoasta

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 04:11:51 PM »

I understand that but I am talking about the west coast right now. I even said artists in general but it's more prevalent with wc artists.

I see, from that perspective I would agree with you in some instances

D~Nice

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 04:23:35 PM »
To say Snoop would need 2 drop a "Hip Hop" album of East coast beats (bcuz thats wat YOU love) is fuckin' wack.  The dubcc fans just wana hear Snoop ova 808 drums and Gangsta/Jazzy melodies.  But some of ya'll do put it in a good perspective though, maybe Snoop should drop a double album, 1 for tha older generation of Snoop fans and 1 for the newer.  U cant say Snoop is loosin' fans bcuz u still play DoggyStyle like it came out this mornin', thats like sayin' 2Pac is better NOW than then he waz back then.......????..... riiiite.   just bcuz u dont like it doesnt mean u have 2 brew hate and jealousy ova anotha man's work.  When I hear a classic album from some1 on tha internet forums, then i'll start 2 second guess people's OPINIONS.  Snoop is the Rap Version of Madonna, he can do shit like Rn'G and then turn around n drop a "Deep Cover 2010", Snoop is tha shit- stop denyin' urselfs.  I'm not a dickryder but 2 say that niggas fallin' off or loosin' his fans and his ways is fuckin' histerical.  just like my man David Banner said, ALL u folx wana hear is the "struggle", "money", "cars", "sex", "crime", "drugs", "love" songs, once an artists steps out that box nobody would wana hear it, honestly could u imagine a song if Snoop was rappin' about bein' a bird- maybe he could be a bird of coke and tell a story but otha than that that shit would be wack.  dont b so judgemental on somethin that doesnt envolve u

That's some real talk there too. Keep it coming fellas and any ladies out there.  ;D

Al Bundy

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 04:25:49 PM »
Most west coast music just sucks now to be honest. Bishop Lamont's been killin it with those street tapes especially Caltroit. Bay area is a diff story.

D~Nice

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 04:29:13 PM »
Most west coast music just sucks now to be honest. Bishop Lamont's been killin it with those street tapes especially Caltroit. Bay area is a diff story.

Bishop Lamont is another example. Will people allow him to have some creative say in his music or are they expecting some khaki/low ridin/gangsta shit. He is obviously not your "average" west coast artist so I hope people don't write him off and give the music a chance.

arthurnelson88

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • RIP Buster
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2008, 05:16:41 PM »
Snoop is a commercial artist, not an underground artist anymore - (rap music in general is now that way, we are the biggest in demand) being tha celebrity he is, he has to, if he didnt he would be another 50 Cent ass nigga.  No TV shows/no acting jobs (rarely), he would still be Snoop DOGGY Dogg and not Snoop Dogg, wens tha last time u heard some1 call him Snoop Doggy Dogg.  When his name changed thats wen his persona changed. Same as every other artist.  U have 2 appeal 2 ur core fans as well as ur fly by niters on 1 album.  He would be a dumb ass business man if he didnt.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 05:38:32 PM by arthurnelson88 »
I only fuck with 10's