Author Topic: Why West Coast Fans Do Not Allow Musical Growth In Their Artists?  (Read 2960 times)

D~Nice

Chad's review of Ego Trippin has got alot of people talking so I decided to make this thread. And it is by no means a diss to anyone. I notice with west coast artists in particular, fans are most critical of when they try something new or go a new direction in their music they almost write them off. Snoop is a example. Snoop is at a catch 22 with most. When he does gangsta shit, it pleases some but others are like he is living in the past. When he does shit with Pharrell (and he does have some dope songs with him) people automatically write it off as pop shit. If it's with Dre it's not as good as the Chronic stuff they did.

So I guess my question is why can't people allow musical growth in wc artists? I know alot of the music in the 90's was incredible material but it ain't the 90's anymore. Why not have a open ear to what rappers are trying to do. Now by all means there is alot of wack shit out there and I am not talking about the weaker material. Drop ya 2 cents.

D~Nice

Re: Why West Coast Fans Do Not Allow Musical Growth In Their Artists?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 10:18:43 AM »
D-Nice copy and paste the shit you find relevant from the previous thread and move it over here  ;)

Aight. I will look through some quotes.

187Proof

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 10:21:20 AM »
Chad's review of Ego Trippin has got alot of people talking so I decided to make this thread. And it is by no means a diss to anyone. I notice with west coast artists in particular, fans are most critical of when they try something new or go a new direction in their music they almost write them off. Snoop is a example. Snoop is at a catch 22 with most. When he does gangsta shit, it pleases some but others are like he is living in the past. When he does shit with Pharrell (and he does have some dope songs with him) people automatically write it off as pop shit. If it's with Dre it's not as good as the Chronic stuff they did.

So I guess my question is why can't people allow musical growth in wc artists? I know alot of the music in the 90's was incredible material but it ain't the 90's anymore. Why not have a open ear to what rappers are trying to do. Now by all means there is alot of wack shit out there and I am not talking about the weaker material. Drop ya 2 cents.
I gotta completely agree with ya bro. Point blank.

D~Nice

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 10:24:57 AM »
Here are some quotes to get this dialogue going. Most are from Chad's thread but are all good points.

commercially it might hurt,but would cats accept it? I mean if he went on some straight MC shit over some "boom bap" beats,would cats say he's "sucking" east coast "dick"? Is there way for Snoop to grow while still "pleasing" fans of his "gangster rap" style?

I'd love to hear snoop do a straight hip-hop album, just get people like premier, pete rock, buckwild, lord finesse, maybe rza, and some other cats to do the beats, and then have either scratched choruses or no choruses, like just back to back verses from snoop and others

he'd have to come hard and really rip it though. it'd be dope with lady of rage, she always kills premiers beats, and i'd like to see kurupt on those types of beats too. maybe get other heavy spitters from the west on there too, ras kass, crooked i, e-40... tear some shit up!

That'd be snoop on some MCing shit though, so he'd have to step his game up, though we know he can, like he killed Think About It on BCT, so he's still got it

I think he'd make some better fans that way, some actual hip-hop fans - his fans at the moment are either people who want to see him make a west coast g-funk classic again, or little kids who like saying "drop it like its hot" or singing "sensual seduction" in the playground. he doesn't really have any fans who are checking for him as a rapper/MC

Snoop is always putting quality work over good hiphop beats, check out these

One Chance (make it good)
Think About it
The One & Only
Protector of 1472
In This Life (Gangstarr)
Living The Life (on Biggie's album)
Sounds of my Heat (from Easy Mo Bee's compilation)
See Ya When I get There
Mama Raised me

actually Snoop sounds best over eastcoast jazzy beats , i would like to hear him over some beats by Pete Rock...would be nice

I think this is a major problem in rap, especially gangsta rap, they wont let the artist grow, thats probably why some rappers cannot make albums or cant get a good deal cuz the fans  stuck them with an era thats not even marketable anymore. Is it that hard to understand that when you are in your mid 30's its basically dumb to talk about Being a Gangsta or killing people or fucking hoes? If this album had the same type of songs as before , it would be a failliure, he's trying to expand, he wants to reach the young adult too, not only the 16 years old kids that just discovered Doggystyle

HEC

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 10:29:40 AM »

I agree 100%

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 10:30:54 AM »
Because West Coast fans are 13 to 19 years old.. they were too young to dig the G-Funk Era, so its new to them, so they are wondering why the artists cant drop shit like that anymore, because they didnt not have the chance to grow with the artist and get with his evolution. and In my opinion... the West Is just a coast on a map, thats it, to me music is music, as long as its dope in my ears, and shiit West Coast Music aint about Gangsta Rap only... Look at Murs, Look at Madlib all those are from the west and they actually make music that people can relate too and grow to , but doesnt get support because it aint GANGSTA enough

D~Nice

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 10:31:46 AM »
Here are a couple points that are  ??? to me but I am not here to put people on blast. Nas went from Nasty to Esco back to Escobar like the song say and he survived. But with Snoop it seems like he loses more and more fans with every album. And maybe Snoop is to blame partially for that but it's his career at the end of the day and I dig alot of the new producers and concepts he has tried. Even the gap in gangsta rap and so called backpack rap out here on the west. Most don't even appreciate a Murs, Evidence, Blu & Exile, etc for making just GOOD MUSIC. It gets ignored because it don't sound like somebody else's shit.

D~Nice

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
Because West Coast fans are 13 to 19 years old.. they were too young to dig the G-Funk Era, so its new to them, so they are wondering why the artists cant drop shit like that anymore, because they didnt not have the chance to grow with the artist and get with his evolution. and In my opinion... the West Is just a coast on a map, thats it, to me music is music, as long as its dope in my ears, and shiit West Coast Music aint about Gangsta Rap only... Look at Murs, Look at Madlib all those are from the west and they actually make music that people can relate too and grow to , but doesnt get support because it aint GANGSTA enough

Co-sign.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 10:37:53 AM »

well i think it's because of multiple things; fear for the unknown, judging too soon and perhaps that they pay too much attention to the "gangsta" image of snoop.

D~Nice

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 10:41:48 AM »

well i think it's because of multiple things; fear for the unknown, judging too soon and perhaps that they pay too much attention to the "gangsta" image of snoop.

True. Ice Cube has evolved a bit in his career, not as much as Snoop as far as the different sounds and everything. He went through that whole Clubbin/Don Mega stage. Snoop can't seem to make a album anyone would like IMO. LOL!

D~Nice

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 10:43:10 AM »
D-Nice copy and paste the shit you find relevant from the previous thread and move it over here  ;)

Aight. I will look through some quotes.

Dope,show the negative haters  ;) :P
Nice to see you back in action  ;)
Seems like we got a new member (UCC) that can bring some shit to the table.
Hope he stays active.

Yeah I am slowing getting back into it.  ;D

HEC

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 10:47:08 AM »
D have you heard "Ego Trippin" and if so what are your opinions about it?

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 10:49:07 AM »

True. Ice Cube has evolved a bit in his career, not as much as Snoop as far as the different sounds and everything. He went through that whole Clubbin/Don Mega stage. Snoop can't seem to make a album anyone would like IMO. LOL!

Thing is...like I said before Ice Cube & Snoop Dogg are two different rappers, but fans do not see that because they were both big and known as gangsta rappers, and for now i do not see Ice Cube as a gangsta rapper, he is more on some political stuff, but because of the beats he uses and the way he flows  people still see it as Gangsta rapper, but give Ice Cube's  lyrics to Kam or Mos Def or Common and U'll get another view of it.

As for Snoop well he is The Rap Male version of Madonna...

D~Nice

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 11:01:59 AM »
D have you heard "Ego Trippin" and if so what are your opinions about it?

Nah I haven't. Going to cop it on the 11th. Only heard 2 songs so far.

Thing is...like I said before Ice Cube & Snoop Dogg are two different rappers, but fans do not see that because they were both big and known as gangsta rappers, and for now i do not see Ice Cube as a gangsta rapper, he is more on some political stuff, but because of the beats he uses and the way he flows  people still see it as Gangsta rapper, but give Ice Cube's  lyrics to Kam or Mos Def or Common and U'll get another view of it.

As for Snoop well he is The Rap Male version of Madonna...

I definitely agree with you and I am not comparing the 2 as artists. Just comparing the fact that both have tried different trends and how its worked out for both. Xzibit too is a example. Now people have left him for dead because he does not work with Dre anymore.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 11:05:50 AM »
yep... damn shame, something thats crossing my mind though.. Would West Coast Fans would consider Glasses Malone song a West coast Song  if Young Jeezy was flowing instead of him... funny how a name could change everything when style is really similar to another