Author Topic: Why West Coast Fans Do Not Allow Musical Growth In Their Artists?  (Read 3013 times)

arthurnelson88

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • RIP Buster
Re: Why West Coast Fans Do Not Allow Musical Growth In Their Artists?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 05:30:10 PM »
Shit If thats tha case im still waitin on Muddy Waters II, with all tha scraped/unreleased beats updated and mixed by Dr. Dre and Erick Sermon with ALL Live Instruments.  And Bishop Lamont mite as well git leftover DeathRow, Chronic 2001 beats along with a couple renditions of songs off Regulate on there 2 and have Focus and DJ Quik replay and update all the music, have Dr. Dre mix the whole album with them.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 07:22:54 PM by arthurnelson88 »
I only fuck with 10's

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2008, 05:25:50 AM »
Snoop is a commercial artist, not an underground artist anymore - (rap music in general is now that way, we are the biggest in demand) being tha celebrity he is, he has to, if he didnt he would be another 50 Cent ass nigga.  No TV shows/no acting jobs (rarely), he would still be Snoop DOGGY Dogg and not Snoop Dogg, wens tha last time u heard some1 call him Snoop Doggy Dogg.  When his name changed thats wen his persona changed. Same as every other artist.  U have 2 appeal 2 ur core fans as well as ur fly by niters on 1 album.  He would be a dumb ass business man if he didnt.

LOL, when was Snoop ever an underground artist? You mean back when he released Doggystyle and sold 6 million and had Gin and Juice playing on MTV all day for a year?

arthurnelson88

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • RIP Buster
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
Snoop is a commercial artist, not an underground artist anymore - (rap music in general is now that way, we are the biggest in demand) being tha celebrity he is, he has to, if he didnt he would be another 50 Cent ass nigga.  No TV shows/no acting jobs (rarely), he would still be Snoop DOGGY Dogg and not Snoop Dogg, wens tha last time u heard some1 call him Snoop Doggy Dogg.  When his name changed thats wen his persona changed. Same as every other artist.  U have 2 appeal 2 ur core fans as well as ur fly by niters on 1 album.  He would be a dumb ass business man if he didnt.

LOL, when was Snoop ever an underground artist? You mean back when he released Doggystyle and sold 6 million and had Gin and Juice playing on MTV all day for a year?

lol tru tru... but u cant deny if it wasnt 4 Dre, Snoop would've been on tha same plat-toe as Above The Law or the equivalent of wat tha Dogg Pound is today- alot of ppl heard of tha Dogg Pound but its not like "they r wat u say r superstars".  but UCC if u pay attention 2 wat u waz writin' u'll see exactly wat this post meant.  u may think its a bad thing 2 do songs like Sexual Eruption, but in all reality Snoop is still young its not like u see 50 year old rappers (even though ALOT r gettin' closer 2 that age) still rappin' about tha same shit (wit' a couple of exceptions)- rap hasnt been in tha masses that long.  snoop is a mega star, if he doesnt experiment now then by tha time he's on a Quincy Jones status he'll only have been in a 1 demintional level of music, and from wat it seems from wat i c, it looks like he's aimin' higher than that, just like alot of rappers r doin' nowadays, u cant play "In Da Club" at a funeral or play "Shoot Em In Tha Head" by Styles P while u tryna get some pussy.  Just like my man Crooked I say it's o-8' tha games in a checkmate, u gotta change up or u'll drift away.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 01:41:14 PM by arthurnelson88 »
I only fuck with 10's

Birdie

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2008, 03:02:17 PM »
Look at Murs, Look at Madlib all those are from the west and they actually make music that people can relate too and grow to , but doesnt get support because it aint GANGSTA enough

I agree with dat. Madlib is damn underated although he's a musical genius. Genius! One of the best producers ever and nobody writes about him.
It's funky enough!

therealtran

• 'G'
  • University of Michigan
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2008, 03:14:24 PM »
Chad's review of Ego Trippin has got alot of people talking so I decided to make this thread. And it is by no means a diss to anyone. I notice with west coast artists in particular, fans are most critical of when they try something new or go a new direction in their music they almost write them off. Snoop is a example. Snoop is at a catch 22 with most. When he does gangsta shit, it pleases some but others are like he is living in the past. When he does shit with Pharrell (and he does have some dope songs with him) people automatically write it off as pop shit. If it's with Dre it's not as good as the Chronic stuff they did.

So I guess my question is why can't people allow musical growth in wc artists? I know alot of the music in the 90's was incredible material but it ain't the 90's anymore. Why not have a open ear to what rappers are trying to do. Now by all means there is alot of wack shit out there and I am not talking about the weaker material. Drop ya 2 cents.

I agree 1000%. The west coast gangsta image is way played out, people want new, CREATIVE material and Snoop is aware of that. TBCT was cool, but it was hard for me to take Vato seriously, considering snoop is 36/37 years old and he's talking about gangbanging. That image is way past his prime so Ego Trippin' was awesome when I heard the album, it was so fresh and dynamic!

At one point, Dr. Dre had intended for Detox to be a concept album. In an interview with MTV in 2002, Dr. Dre stated,

I'm not talking about lowriders and blunts and all that anymore… I mean, that's played. As a matter of fact, I'm tired of hearing other people talk about it, to tell you the truth… I had to come up with something different but still keep it hardcore, so what I decided to do was make my album one story about one person and just do the record through a character's eyes, and everybody that appears on my album is going to be a character, so it's basically going to be a hip-hop musical.[14]

Inside Death Row

dopeascanbe

• 'G'
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2008, 03:46:24 PM »
It is hard to be creative because in my opinion everything is played out.  hip hop is either some ugly ass dance, drugs, sex, gangbangin, money and power, love, etc.  all which are repeated over and fuckin over in hiphop songs from veteran and new artists. So just enjoy the music that you fuck wit. :)

MarshColin

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2008, 03:58:20 PM »
So true. +1

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2008, 04:48:14 PM »
The west coast gangsta image is way played out, people want new, CREATIVE material and Snoop is aware of that. TBCT was cool, but it was hard for me to take Vato seriously, considering snoop is 36/37 years old and he's talking about gangbanging. That image is way past his prime so Ego Trippin' was awesome when I heard the album, it was so fresh and dynamic!

I loved Vato, but not because it was some gangbanging shit, but because the beat was fire, Snoop's flow was on point, and he did that cool ass ragga flow thing at the end that he did on Day The Niggaz Took Over

On the other hand I hate Sensual Seduction, not because it's a new sound, but because it's a crappy sound - the beat is kinda wack, Snoop's singing is a bit mediocre, the verse in there is pretty forgettable

I'm all for Snoop doing something different and fresh and exciting, as long as it's done on a high level. He could have made some 70s-80s style singing track and done it amazingly, I like the Cool cover on the album, that's way better done, but Sensual Seduction to me was an interesting idea that wasn't very well executed

arthurnelson88

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • RIP Buster
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2008, 06:01:09 PM »
The west coast gangsta image is way played out, people want new, CREATIVE material and Snoop is aware of that. TBCT was cool, but it was hard for me to take Vato seriously, considering snoop is 36/37 years old and he's talking about gangbanging. That image is way past his prime so Ego Trippin' was awesome when I heard the album, it was so fresh and dynamic!

I loved Vato, but not because it was some gangbanging shit, but because the beat was fire, Snoop's flow was on point, and he did that cool ass ragga flow thing at the end that he did on Day The Niggaz Took Over

On the other hand I hate Sensual Seduction, not because it's a new sound, but because it's a crappy sound - the beat is kinda wack, Snoop's singing is a bit mediocre, the verse in there is pretty forgettable

I'm all for Snoop doing something different and fresh and exciting, as long as it's done on a high level. He could have made some 70s-80s style singing track and done it amazingly, I like the Cool cover on the album, that's way better done, but Sensual Seduction to me was an interesting idea that wasn't very well executed

.......im gonna take mi tiiiieiiime-she gohn get herz b4 iy....

no disrespect but ya'll must aint got no playa in ya'll then lol
I only fuck with 10's

D~Nice

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2008, 07:59:51 PM »
Chad's review of Ego Trippin has got alot of people talking so I decided to make this thread. And it is by no means a diss to anyone. I notice with west coast artists in particular, fans are most critical of when they try something new or go a new direction in their music they almost write them off. Snoop is a example. Snoop is at a catch 22 with most. When he does gangsta shit, it pleases some but others are like he is living in the past. When he does shit with Pharrell (and he does have some dope songs with him) people automatically write it off as pop shit. If it's with Dre it's not as good as the Chronic stuff they did.

So I guess my question is why can't people allow musical growth in wc artists? I know alot of the music in the 90's was incredible material but it ain't the 90's anymore. Why not have a open ear to what rappers are trying to do. Now by all means there is alot of wack shit out there and I am not talking about the weaker material. Drop ya 2 cents.

I agree 1000%. The west coast gangsta image is way played out, people want new, CREATIVE material and Snoop is aware of that. TBCT was cool, but it was hard for me to take Vato seriously, considering snoop is 36/37 years old and he's talking about gangbanging. That image is way past his prime so Ego Trippin' was awesome when I heard the album, it was so fresh and dynamic!

At one point, Dr. Dre had intended for Detox to be a concept album. In an interview with MTV in 2002, Dr. Dre stated,

I'm not talking about lowriders and blunts and all that anymore… I mean, that's played. As a matter of fact, I'm tired of hearing other people talk about it, to tell you the truth… I had to come up with something different but still keep it hardcore, so what I decided to do was make my album one story about one person and just do the record through a character's eyes, and everybody that appears on my album is going to be a character, so it's basically going to be a hip-hop musical.[14]

Nice post homie, +1. Good dialogue here, lets keep it going.

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2008, 08:11:47 PM »
Snoop should do more albums like tha Doggfather

that had some gangsta shit but also had songs like Doggyland, Me and My Doggs, Vapors alotta storytelling to balance it out a little bit this was the perfect album and I like it better than Doggystyle

I think Doggystyle sounded like the Chronic with more Snoop its dope but just my opinion I like Doggfather

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2008, 01:03:20 PM »
imo doggfather was garbage... i dont know what people on this forum see in that album. im guessing its nostalgia, but I don't know. his raps were weak, and so were half of the beats.

I was open to the idea of ego trippin. I like the idea of the songs, but most of them just don't sound good.

jbel1021

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2008, 01:09:12 PM »
Snoop should do more albums like tha Doggfather

that had some gangsta shit but also had songs like Doggyland, Me and My Doggs, Vapors alotta storytelling to balance it out a little bit this was the perfect album and I like it better than Doggystyle

I think Doggystyle sounded like the Chronic with more Snoop its dope but just my opinion I like Doggfather

Yea, I haven't listened to Doggystyle in a while, compared to listening to Doggfather once on a while.

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2008, 01:13:33 PM »

Real talk man, +1. I myself like to hear new shit, Snoops album was crazy to me, the whole gangsta shit was gettin to damn played, and he brought it with this album, i love that musical shit, Snoop did it right. But a bunch of people dont like it cause there young n dumb imo, there stuck with that gangsta music mentality, they think the song has to be hard or its garbage, that aint the case, its music, let the artists fuck around a bit and see what type of crack they come up with, people need to have a open mind!!!

Ese Torsido

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2008, 02:24:41 PM »
Seems the music industry has changed waves ever since the Nappy comment Imus mentioned last year. The term was very derogative and got officials discussing the whole matter of explicit material and where it's coming from. Politicians blamed it on rap, and a backlash against all our favorite artists was unleashed. Nas declared hip hop was dead from that point, and now, the radio has become infested with rap-influenced pop music. "Chicken Noodle Soup" for the soul indeed. Rather, for the grave.

Regarding west coast: after Pac died, the relevence of gangsta rap decreased, moreso after B.I.G. got shot. The subgenre had gone down the drain because of the people who were affected by it: Dre denounced his gangsta ways, Snoop Dogg was at a crossroads between Death Row and No Limit (the money hungry industry at that time), and the music west coast offered became more universal than street. Pharcyde, Xzibit, Jurassic 5, Dilated Peoples: some of the well known west coast underground rappers at that time.

But one rapper who really changed the shape of music, period: Will Smith. The man whom you only thought of as an actor released Big Willie Style after the end of the east coast-west coast era. His old school swagger was gone for the most part (except on "Yes, Yes, Y'All" with Camp Lo), but he brought an entertainment value that eased the gangsta age and hinted on a new form of positive rap. In fact, on a PBS interview (don't remember which one and at what year), Nate Dogg was really insistant on working with him. Turned out that Snoop Dogg got his lucky shot on "Pump Ya Brakes," an easily slept on record. Listen to it.

I don't know if I can answer D-Nice's question directly, but what I do know is that the situation is a parallel of the Chicano Curse article I wrote last year, explaining why Chicano Rap will never achieve success in the music industry unless that Chicano rapper changes his ways by selling out. Baby Bash did it and got a lot of success; Lil' Rob did it, but became a one-hit wonder. That's because Bash moved to Texas while Rob stayed in Cali to represent the brown. The same could be said for Snoop: west coast fans think of gangsta rap as the higher music form in California. Hard beats, G-funk samples, rugged shots and gangbangin'. But the problem with that is, everyone's doing it. Every producer here in the U.S. has emulated the style to a very high that it is now impossible to duplicate. It's spread so far out that the U.S. has become the west. Ironic: that was what west coast wanted back in the 90's - Cali to overrun the U.S. Now look what happened. East coast artists have the west coast sound, while the west coast artist have the east coast lyrics (About a margin of rappers have that - and they're the hungry ones from the underground scene). Dirty south is a wild card - they work with whoever the fuck they want (and I'm proud of that).

Goes down to this: because the south is a wild card, they have pretty much decided the fate for how west coast should be represented.