Author Topic: Why West Coast Fans Do Not Allow Musical Growth In Their Artists?  (Read 2963 times)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
Re: Why West Coast Fans Do Not Allow Musical Growth In Their Artists?
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2008, 02:27:09 PM »
snoop went way to far to the left on that eggo drippin' bullshit. i think snoop showed a lot of diversity on tha blue carpet treatment album because it wasn't just gangsta shit(even though i can listen to gangsta snoop forever) it had shit that make you ponder a bit. the west needs to get their musical backing back. it has nothing to do wit the 90's. dre doesn't make beats that sound like the first chronic any more but he didn't abandon his sound either.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

SUCKA FREE

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2008, 05:09:38 PM »
Why cant it be that Snoop just can't rap anymore. He is very simplistic on the mic and says the same thing on to many songs. He sounds awful on the new E-40 song with Game. His verse is unlistenable as was ego Trippin. Dude just lost it thats all. Lots of artists loose it after while thats why they stop recording and just tour with their old material. Still a good living.

Chad Vader

« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2008, 05:42:17 PM »
Snoop went way to far to the left on that ego drippin' bullshit.
I think snoop showed a lot of diversity on tha blue carpet treatment album because it wasn't just gangster shit(even though i can listen to gangster snoop forever) it had shit that make you ponder a bit.
the west needs to get their musical backing back.
it has nothing to do wit the 90's.
Dre doesn't make beats that sound like the first Chronic any more but he didn't abandon his sound either.

Why cant it be that Snoop just can't rap anymore.
He is very simplistic on the Mic and says the same thing on to many songs.
He sounds awful on the new E-40 song with Game. His verse is unlistenable as was Ego Trippin.
Dude just lost it thats all. Lots of artists loose it after while thats why they stop recording and just tour with their old material. Still a good living.

Related threads;
Ego Trippin is underrated
+
Snoop Dogg's next LP?

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2008, 05:52:59 PM »
I heard some of the best west coast songs in a long time from Jayo Felony and it's not all g funked out( i hope some in on the album) but it's fresh and it's west coast music. The production on Game's album is good. no down south crunk shit. muthafuckas is turning in to followers instead of trend setters like they used to be Ice Cube ain't even the same no more. he raps over shit the ying yang twins would be rapping to. it's not even about letting them grow but are they growing ? is snoop letting another nigga write his album growing ? my thing is grow and top the standard each and every time by delivering great product.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 05:56:21 PM by Classic Material »
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2009, 06:50:33 AM »
i had to bring back this great topic by D~Nice: it never gets old.

it keeps surprising me that some people on this forum actually believe that growing as an artist, is equal to making more accessible music and/or taking a 180 degree spin with the direction.

let's make this clear: making more accessible music, does not mean that an artist has grown: he/she is just trying to appeal to a bigger audience ( to stay relevant).
when an artist has grown, it means that he/she has developed himself/herself more.

like some other poster had mentioned before, a great example of this is producer Dr.Dre: he has switched up his sound several times but he keeps it true to himself.

with each new Paris soloalbum, you kind of know what to expect of it: that doesn't take anything away from the quality at all.
if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
not to mention that he actually addresses issues that are relevant today.

so it doesn't mean that DJ Quik & Kurupt can't make dance/club music; same with Cube.
but it did affect the quality of Raw Footage to me. with blaqkout, i appreciate Fuck Y'all, but overall the album stinks.

"He can't say that", yes he can, I just did
Now guess again, you better text message your next of kin

artists should do what they do best: fuck being relevant & it's pointless to try to be something, that you're not

Blasphemy

« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2009, 07:42:35 AM »
Chad's review of Ego Trippin has got alot of people talking so I decided to make this thread. And it is by no means a diss to anyone. I notice with west coast artists in particular, fans are most critical of when they try something new or go a new direction in their music they almost write them off. Snoop is a example. Snoop is at a catch 22 with most. When he does gangsta shit, it pleases some but others are like he is living in the past. When he does shit with Pharrell (and he does have some dope songs with him) people automatically write it off as pop shit. If it's with Dre it's not as good as the Chronic stuff they did.

So I guess my question is why can't people allow musical growth in wc artists? I know alot of the music in the 90's was incredible material but it ain't the 90's anymore. Why not have a open ear to what rappers are trying to do. Now by all means there is alot of wack shit out there and I am not talking about the weaker material. Drop ya 2 cents.

First they have to actually have fucking growth. Not fucking Rehash, Stop making songs that are just fucking Sequels...Now some are good sequels, I mean if Detox came with a "final" episode, and sucked bawls, we would call it out. If it was amazing. We would call it amazing. Snoop sound is softer, and RnB. I mean he always said that "You gotta get yours before I get mine" shit. Look at the lyrics of DoggyStyle. He sings the same fucking thing over and over, just in a different tune, with a different beat. He modifies word play to make it sound different.

Now if his ass can actually come up with better lyrics besides his usual shit. Then He's grown lyrical (or fucked up. Depends on what he chooses). Another thing that pisses me off, is these fucking West Coast Artist selling out their roots, then expect our fucking support. Look at The Game, D.A. was a choice album, classic west coast sound. Now look at L.A.X. I mean honestly wtf??? How could he go from the grinding west coast style, to East/south produce beats.

The fucking nigga had a FUCKING SONG CALLED MONEY!!! MONEY!!! OK!!! You CAN'T fucking SELL OUT MORE then that shit. Fucking Eminem's ass sold out with Crack A Bottle. Yet the same mother fuckers here who say "fuck that club shit" Are banging out Crack a bottle like its not 1. When Crack a Bottle's Lyrics are describing them in a club, with fucking cars, and money (50's verse mostly).

I'll bang out the West Coast artist better shit only. The times when they didn't sell out or give a fuck about the Censors. Some mother fuckers can't get passed the same shit. Look at Eminem (I know he isn;t west) but look at his album Relapse. Same shit: Homosexuals, So called "Shock" Lyrics, Slim Shady, Drug abuse and his Mom. Only thing he forgot was KIM and I bet her ass will be on Relapse 2 getting shot by him again.

I'm fucking sick and tired of fucking artist from any fucking coast, afraid to do anything fucking innovated anymore. They all go into the same area, with nothing new. Look at Jay Z: His bitch ass Is copying Movies, He's copied Artist, Barrow fucking rhymes. His bitch ass needs to pick up a pen and just fucking thing. Then you got all these fucking arrtards on Pac. Barrowing Pac verses, Throwing up Tupac. When he was alive he wasn't FUCKING WITH YOU.HE was Dissing your bitch ass, 4 good reason, and while you artist didn't have the balls to put a Pac diss on your record, You weren't afraid to do it on radio stations, and various other places, but I guess since their is no record. You can play people thinking pac was insane.

Now today Artist are starting to become hypocrites. Look at Cypress Hill. III Temples of Boom had them talking down to other rappers who have Pop songs as Singles. Now they doing it, going mainstream and have dropped their Sonic production style after IV.

Can I allow musical Growth??? Oh fucking A, I want Fucking Lyrical growth. I want all these artist to put something into their work. I'm talking Lyrical shit. Like Nas on Illmatic, or Eminem on TMMLP or fucking Rakim.

Everyone of these fucking artist are failing to grow lyrically. They either Sell out, Rehash, or just being hypocrites. Only asshole who's actually done it right is fucking Dr. Dre. He's Dropped 2 fucking albums. Both of which are still in heavy rotation among artist, fans, radio stations, TV stations. I mean their are other artist who did it right also, but that's like only about 10 tops.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2009, 10:23:25 AM »
^i think i'm a bit more tolerant than you, but you perfectly broke down the points i was trying to make ;)

Scrappy Doo

« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2009, 12:11:52 PM »
Chad's review of Ego Trippin has got alot of people talking so I decided to make this thread. And it is by no means a diss to anyone. I notice with west coast artists in particular, fans are most critical of when they try something new or go a new direction in their music they almost write them off. Snoop is a example. Snoop is at a catch 22 with most. When he does gangsta shit, it pleases some but others are like he is living in the past. When he does shit with Pharrell (and he does have some dope songs with him) people automatically write it off as pop shit. If it's with Dre it's not as good as the Chronic stuff they did.

So I guess my question is why can't people allow musical growth in wc artists? I know alot of the music in the 90's was incredible material but it ain't the 90's anymore. Why not have a open ear to what rappers are trying to do. Now by all means there is alot of wack shit out there and I am not talking about the weaker material. Drop ya 2 cents.

First they have to actually have fucking growth. Not fucking Rehash, Stop making songs that are just fucking Sequels...Now some are good sequels, I mean if Detox came with a "final" episode, and sucked bawls, we would call it out. If it was amazing. We would call it amazing. Snoop sound is softer, and RnB. I mean he always said that "You gotta get yours before I get mine" shit. Look at the lyrics of DoggyStyle. He sings the same fucking thing over and over, just in a different tune, with a different beat. He modifies word play to make it sound different.

Now if his ass can actually come up with better lyrics besides his usual shit. Then He's grown lyrical (or fucked up. Depends on what he chooses). Another thing that pisses me off, is these fucking West Coast Artist selling out their roots, then expect our fucking support. Look at The Game, D.A. was a choice album, classic west coast sound. Now look at L.A.X. I mean honestly wtf??? How could he go from the grinding west coast style, to East/south produce beats.

The fucking nigga had a FUCKING SONG CALLED MONEY!!! MONEY!!! OK!!! You CAN'T fucking SELL OUT MORE then that shit. Fucking Eminem's ass sold out with Crack A Bottle. Yet the same mother fuckers here who say "fuck that club shit" Are banging out Crack a bottle like its not 1. When Crack a Bottle's Lyrics are describing them in a club, with fucking cars, and money (50's verse mostly).

I'll bang out the West Coast artist better shit only. The times when they didn't sell out or give a fuck about the Censors. Some mother fuckers can't get passed the same shit. Look at Eminem (I know he isn;t west) but look at his album Relapse. Same shit: Homosexuals, So called "Shock" Lyrics, Slim Shady, Drug abuse and his Mom. Only thing he forgot was KIM and I bet her ass will be on Relapse 2 getting shot by him again.

I'm fucking sick and tired of fucking artist from any fucking coast, afraid to do anything fucking innovated anymore. They all go into the same area, with nothing new. Look at Jay Z: His bitch ass Is copying Movies, He's copied Artist, Barrow fucking rhymes. His bitch ass needs to pick up a pen and just fucking thing. Then you got all these fucking arrtards on Pac. Barrowing Pac verses, Throwing up Tupac. When he was alive he wasn't FUCKING WITH YOU.HE was Dissing your bitch ass, 4 good reason, and while you artist didn't have the balls to put a Pac diss on your record, You weren't afraid to do it on radio stations, and various other places, but I guess since their is no record. You can play people thinking pac was insane.

Now today Artist are starting to become hypocrites. Look at Cypress Hill. III Temples of Boom had them talking down to other rappers who have Pop songs as Singles. Now they doing it, going mainstream and have dropped their Sonic production style after IV.

Can I allow musical Growth??? Oh fucking A, I want Fucking Lyrical growth. I want all these artist to put something into their work. I'm talking Lyrical shit. Like Nas on Illmatic, or Eminem on TMMLP or fucking Rakim.

Everyone of these fucking artist are failing to grow lyrically. They either Sell out, Rehash, or just being hypocrites. Only asshole who's actually done it right is fucking Dr. Dre. He's Dropped 2 fucking albums. Both of which are still in heavy rotation among artist, fans, radio stations, TV stations. I mean their are other artist who did it right also, but that's like only about 10 tops.

We have a winner post of the month !!!

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2009, 06:10:37 PM »

Love this post, dead on. No homo lol. I guess for me at times it seems the fans are just as confused as the artists. There are definitely some blatant attempts at mainstream success from rappers but there is also alot of flip flopping from fans that really do not know what they want either. As long as the music has musical and lyrical progression and growth like you said, I am happy. Change mixed it there is cool sometimes too.

V2DHeart

« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2009, 08:49:35 PM »

Snoop is a terrible example. His growth as an artist has been on a steady decline in terms of his quality to deliver and his rap/lyrical ability has just got worse and worse. He has to, or "wants" to rely heavily on current pop artists (like Madonna has to do now) to survive the mainstream. First Pharrell/N.E.R.D, then Justin Timberlake, then a downward spiral of a reality TV show into his family life  :-\ All the signs of someone who has to cling onto others, or to exploit his everyday life to get mainstream coverage... Back on Death Row he was hungry, he was younger, more fierce, and had ambitions - like most young artists. Very few actually carry the passion when they're successful. Some will be experimental in music and it'll pay off - depending on the work, effort, and passion they put into it. If they want a quick payday and try to create a sound for todays market, it'll more than likely pay with the right marketing team behind them, but the end result is a quick 5 minute empty hit, which sucks, and that is what we've seen from Snoop Dogg for the past 8 years or so

DJ Quik was expiremental in Trauma, and that was actually good - not a big fan of the album, and prefer - LOVE the signature Quik sound, but that album was fresh renewed etc. and paid off, because the quality was there. Some can deliver if they still have the fire, but if they're just in it for the quick pay day regardless of how it reflects their image, then what we'll recieve is b*llshyt year after year. That's why people like Snoop work with Justins, the P.Diddys, Pussycat Dolls, Lil Waynes etc. They don't care who or what they work with as long as they get another quick pay, whereas when they're younger they seem to have a back bone,, and are more selective
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

NEW WEST 2012

• 'G'
« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2009, 11:03:49 PM »
WELL FANS FOLLOW SUCCESS IN THE END, SO WHATEVER YOU DO TO MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE ARE GONNA HATE!!! THATS JUST THE WAY IT IS

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2009, 09:41:59 AM »
speaking for myself i don't mind growth from west coast music as long as is dope and it isn't compromising an artists vision. me being a die hard west coast fan, i love what was done in the 90's from the west coast but todays a new day i feel especially the production level of the west coast needs to step back up and evolve from what the 90's was. that being said daz needs to really step it back up. he was once one of the greats now snoop doesn't even use his beats no more. oh and a friend of mine told me snoop said somethin like niggas like biggie and t.i. and everybody took the west coast style. well snoop if u feel niggas  took they style from the west use that style and stop bitchin' nothin' is gangsta but 3 songs on malice n.... and someone took the west coast  style. his new album sounds like a reflection of the trash that's out.

Do Dirty

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2009, 12:14:22 AM »

My man, that's jusy hip-hop fans in general. They say the same thing about Jay, Nas, Kanye and pretty much every other rapper out there
"You got problems with the punk police, don't run from the chumps get the pump from me"