Author Topic: Second Muslim elected to Congress  (Read 210 times)

J @ M @ L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Second Muslim elected to Congress
« on: March 11, 2008, 10:50:27 PM »
 INDIANAPOLIS (Reuters) - Indiana voters on Tuesday elected a Muslim to Congress, only the second of that faith chosen in U.S. history.

Andre Carson, grandson of the late Democrat Rep. Julia Carson, was elected to serve the balance of her term in the U.S. House of Representatives in a special election.

She died in December 2007, after serving 11 years in the heavily Democratic district.

The younger Carson, 33, a member of the Indianapolis City Council who converted to Islam about a decade ago, will serve out the remainder of his grandmother's term through calendar 2008. He beat Republican Jon Elrod and a third party candidate with 52 percent of the vote to 44 percent for Elrod.

The first and only other Muslim member of the U.S. Congress is Rep. Keith Ellison of Minnesota, also a Democrat, who is in his first term.

Carson will face a strong challenge against other contenders in a May primary which will determine who runs in November for the next full two-year term in the district which covers most of the city of Indianapolis.

His Democratic opponents then are expected to be two state legislators -- Carolene Mays, an Indianapolis newspaper publisher, and David Orentlicher, a lawyer and doctor who is a professor of law and medical ethics at Indiana University School of Law and Indiana University Medical Center.

Carson's faith had not been an issue in the special election.

--------

CWALKER, I SEE YOU.
my throat hurts, its hard to swallow, and my body feels like i got a serious ass beating.

LOL @ this fudgepacker

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Second Muslim elected to Congress
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 10:17:03 AM »
non story. the religious affiliations of people shouldn't be a factor.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 03:01:55 PM »
OMG!!!!!!! STOP THIS MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :o

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 03:50:36 PM »
This is good news.  Thanks for posting.  Peace.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 03:55:36 PM »

No it's not... forget that I voted for Keith Ellison (actually I did) and would do it again if I still lived in Minneapolis, this is a conflict to our security.

Damn, where is CWalker... I'm trying my hardest dogg to hold you down.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 04:09:53 PM »

No it's not... forget that I voted for Keith Ellison (actually I did) and would do it again if I still lived in Minneapolis, this is a conflict to our security.

Damn, where is CWalker... I'm trying my hardest dogg to hold you down.

LOL... I thought you were serious till I saw what you wrote at the bottom.  Didn't sound like you.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 05:09:14 PM »

Who gives a fuck? if he is one of the few who has not totally sold out then great and if not, he will be a scumbag just like the others. Or does the fact that he is a muslim qualify him as being above being a scum bag? LOL

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 02:02:38 AM »

Who gives a fuck? if he is one of the few who has not totally sold out then great and if not, he will be a scumbag just like the others. Or does the fact that he is a muslim qualify him as being above being a scum bag? LOL

LOL. Yes. No religious person would ever do anything a "scumbag" would do. (I just noticed the word scumbag is recognized by the spellcheck as a real word.)