Author Topic: `Redneck Shop' creates dispute in S.C  (Read 384 times)

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
`Redneck Shop' creates dispute in S.C
« on: March 10, 2008, 06:59:13 AM »
Reverend David Kennedy, looks at items as John Howard watches him inside The Redneck Shop in Laurens, SC, Wednesday, Feb. 27, 2008. (AP Photo/Patrick Collard)

By KATRINA A. GOGGINS, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 40 minutes ago

LAURENS, S.C. - A black civil rights activist is fighting to close a store that sells KKK robes and T-shirts emblazoned with racial slurs. David Kennedy is confident he can make it happen. After all, he says he owns the building.
ADVERTISEMENT

Since 1996, the Redneck Shop has operated in an old movie theater that, according to court records, was transferred in 1997 to Kennedy and the Baptist church he leads.

"Our ownership puts an end to that history as far as violence and hatred, racism being practiced in that place and also the recruiting of the Klan," Kennedy said. "This is the same place that we had to go up into the balcony to go to the movies before the Klan took it. So there's a lot of history there."

But legal documents also indicate that the man who runs the store, 62-year-old John Howard, is entitled to operate his business in the building until he dies. Now the dispute may go to court.

Kennedy, 54, has led protests outside the store since it opened but said he's never been able to close it because of the agreement that Howard can run the shop for life.

The reverend envisions the building as a potential future home for his New Beginnings Missionary Baptist Church, which now meets in a double-wide trailer.

Kennedy claims he can't even visit his own property because Howard won't let him in when he appears in the door. But that didn't happen during a recent visit with an Associated Press reporter and photographer.

"Reverend Kennedy, where you been hiding?" Howard shouted when the door opened.

Inside the store, hooded Klan robes hang on the same rack as the racist T-shirts. Pictures of men, women and children in Klan clothing and pamphlets tell a partial history of the organization.

Howard used to own the whole building. When his store first opened, he said, people threw rocks at his windows, spit in his doorway and picketed. A month later, a man intentionally crashed his van through the front windows.

"If anything turns people off, they shouldn't come in here. It's not a thing in here that's against the law," Howard said, adding that he was once the KKK's grand dragon for South Carolina and North Carolina.

To blacks, Kennedy said, the store is a reminder of this region's painful past, which includes the lynching of his great, great uncle by a white mob.

The town of Laurens, about 30 miles southeast of Greenville, was named after 18th century slave trader Henry Laurens.

Some street addresses are still marked with the letter "C" that once designated black homes as "colored." Racial tension was heightened in recent years when two white female teachers were sentenced for having sex with male students — all of them black.

Kennedy has a long history of fighting racial injustice. He protested when a South Carolina county refused to observe the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, and he helped lobby to remove the Confederate flag from the Statehouse dome.

When people in the region allege racism, he rallies attention to the cause. A walk through the neighborhood where he was born shows that he seems a stranger to no one.

"Hey Rev," one man says as he strolls by.

"Pump it up," Kennedy responds with the phrase he uses at his protests.

Mary Redd, who lives across from the house where Kennedy was born, said blacks know to contact the pastor with their problems.

"And he helps them out," added neighbor Deborah Cheeks.

Kennedy said progress has always been slow to come to Laurens.

"There are two powers in the world: the mind and the sword," he said. "In the long run, the sword is defeated by the mind. I want to destroy the concept of hatred."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080310/ap_on_re_us/kkk_store
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: `Redneck Shop' creates dispute in S.C
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 09:22:31 AM »
*waits for racism debate to start and refuses to say anything except: Fucking hicks*

thisoneguy360

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 09:26:09 AM »
Pieces of shit

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 09:31:14 AM »
It's pretty Messed up situation..Cuz from that article it appears that both of them have right to that building..

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 11:37:39 AM »
good article.......... at the same time this is nothing new..... only thing is that he is open about it while others keep their racism covert like the majority of these pale faces on here.......... this is what eye am talkin about people claim that the United Snakes is past racism but over there they still got "C" on streets designated colored area ( eye never even knew that had that down there). Eye mean how simply would it be to go around puttin up new signs or at least.. having the "C" removed.... the mayor or governor  cant put something together for that simple shit to be done??!?! RACISM ISNT OVER EYE REPEAT ITS JUST THAT IT HAS BECOME MORE SOPHISTICATED FOOLING NIGGAS...... notice how you dont get an overload of remarks towards this article........... but if you post something up dealin with NOI, NGE or any Black organization here comes the typical fuck Blacks, or niggas, monkey this and that comments............. this just shows you how subconsciously the majority of these pale faces condone this shit............ as eye am finishin up on the Isis papers eye am startin to understand how shit is run beneath the surface................

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 12:02:13 PM »
^^True...Hidden racism is a lot worse, IMO!
Dudes whole concept is 'if You DOn't like it, don't step in my Store'..Which by all accounts is true!!!

cStyle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 12:19:22 PM »
fuck any racism!! arent we all just humans? i dont give a shit if u rich poor black white brown yellow as long as u a cool motherfucka i have nothing against u!!!

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 01:39:07 PM »
^^^ eye stay away from niggas like this..... they will get you killed feeding you that fairytale bullshit........

Al Bundy

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 02:00:55 PM »
fuck that store & the dude who runs it. giving us white dudes a bad look

cStyle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 02:10:31 PM »

LMAO...yo Bundy we are lookin bad already, ask job hell tell u  ;D

Lunatic

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 02:18:28 PM »
for real :-\
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 05:45:52 PM »
if the business crashes then he can't do shit n e more, so the real tragedy here is .....who's supporting the business in the first place!?

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 05:46:17 PM »
if the business crashes then he can't do shit n e more, so the real tragedy here is .....who's supporting the business in the first place!?
maybe tu?

Joe Bonanno

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 06:07:41 PM »
if you don't like what the store's about, don't go there. same reason i drop job's mom off in front of her crib and bounce. i aint tryin to make small chat with her hateful little half breed son.

same could go for abercrombie or american eagle, i hate how they promote faggotry and cultural elitist imagery, i dont fuck with those stores neither.

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 06:10:08 PM »
if you don't like what the store's about, don't go there. same reason i drop job's mom off in front of her crib and bounce. i aint tryin to make small chat with her hateful little half breed son.

same could go for abercrombie or american eagle, i hate how they promote faggotry and cultural elitist imagery, i dont fuck with those stores neither.
................ first off if u was even in driving or walkin distance from me..... youd be in the hospital already... lets get that straight
second........ you know damn well u wear all the ambercrombis n eagle shit