Author Topic: the purpose of mixtape DJ's, especially for establised artists  (Read 933 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
i'm probably not the first one to bring this up, but i'm sure i'm not the only one who still wants to know how it works.

anyway, i understand that upcoming artists like Slim the mobster definately could use the help of a DJ like Clue to get his name out there.
but already established artists don't really need that; so the copyright protection, in the form of DJ Tags is not necessary anymore.
the tribute argument is not valid either; otherwise the established artists would only let the DJ introduce their mixtape/streetalbum or put the tags on each song at the beginning and the end.

i recently talked to Chad Vader about this, and we couldn't figure out so if anybody has a clue please contribute  :)

The Homey Darren

• Lil Geezy
  • REAL music. Not Nigger noise
Re: the purpose of mixtape DJ's, especially for establised artists
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 02:12:18 AM »
Well, I have a feeling these "dj's" were brought up listening to good hip hop, and as the pool of actual talent got smaller they felt they could be attached some "big" names by getting in the mixtape game...whether the fact that these are real "mixed tapes" and dj's are really doing their job is highly debatable, and lame, but there are enough suckers to buy into it.

however, back in the 70's and 80's dj's did a lot of tagging, however this was at live clubs and functions so they could get their name out. the fact that so called dj's still do it today on cd's is kinda selfish and useless, but hey, thats how most rap music is i guess.  :-\

partying it up in Spain last summer

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 03:10:52 AM »
Well, I have a feeling these "dj's" were brought up listening to good hip hop, and as the pool of actual talent got smaller they felt they could be attached some "big" names by getting in the mixtape game...whether the fact that these are real "mixed tapes" and dj's are really doing their job is highly debatable, and lame, but there are enough suckers to buy into it.

however, back in the 70's and 80's dj's did a lot of tagging, however this was at live clubs and functions so they could get their name out. the fact that so called dj's still do it today on cd's is kinda selfish and useless, but hey, thats how most rap music is i guess.  :-\

but like i said before, established artists don't need the DJ's, they can just reject them.

MarshColin

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 08:25:52 AM »

but like i said before, established artists don't need the DJ's, they can just reject them.

With the state of the music industry right now even the established artists need all the help they can get. The point of a tag is to show exclusiveness, so other people can't take credit for getting the song out there first that didn't. The DJ who tags it usually gets it out to you before an untagged version comes. If an untagged version is not available you are forced to listen to a version with a DJ tag over it until then. You're going to hear that DJ's name everytime you hear the song so it's great promotion. Don't they deserve a little something for getting you the song before everybody else?

I will say that sometimes DJ's go overboard with the tags. Also, DJ's who release mixtapes without actually mixing and blending songs are trash and a disgrace to the profession.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 08:27:59 AM »
I guess its all about contacts, ya cd can probably get distributed easily if it has a dj' name on it.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

smegma

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 08:31:15 AM »
Don't they deserve a little something for getting you the song before everybody else?

Definitely not.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 08:38:17 AM »
Don't they deserve a little something for getting you the song before everybody else?

I will say that sometimes DJ's go overboard with the tags. Also, DJ's who release mixtapes without actually mixing and blending songs are trash and a disgrace to the profession.

well i'm not saying that they shouldn't get credit, but:

the tribute argument is not valid either; otherwise the established artists would only let the DJ introduce their mixtape/streetalbum or put the tags on each song at the beginning and the end.

so unless the established artists really benefit from the network of the known DJ's i don't see why they would need them( and i said before, the copyright argument is not valid, because the established artists have other ways to protect that).

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 08:39:54 AM by Dre-Day - Sniper of the Kill Jimmy Iovine Movement »

D~Nice

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 08:55:39 AM »
It's a favor for a favor. Dj's benefit for having the big name artists on their tapes for recoginition and promo and the artists benefit because they can break or "leak" alot of singles out there to get a vibe or buzz. Many of them are singles the record label does not want them to use as a lead single. Now they could probably do it on their own but the appeal of having Skee or Clue or whoever leak it builds a bigger buzz. And the label usually won't say shit especially if it works. 

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 09:05:36 AM »
It's a favor for a favor. Dj's benefit for having the big name artists on their tapes for recoginition and promo and the artists benefit because they can break or "leak" alot of singles out there to get a vibe or buzz. Many of them are singles the record label does not want them to use as a lead single. Now they could probably do it on their own but the appeal of having Skee or Clue or whoever leak it builds a bigger buzz. And the label usually won't say shit especially if it works. 
good points; so i guess going to a known DJ is cost efficient too? they can mix the record and protect the copyrights so the established artists don't need to arrange that?

perhaps it's just me, but is it proven that mixtapes really boost the sales of the retail albums of established artists?
i know that the promotion of a retail album goes to different channels than a mixtape, but still?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 09:19:45 AM by Dre-Day - Sniper of the Kill Jimmy Iovine Movement »

D~Nice

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 09:47:40 AM »
good points; so i guess going to a known DJ is cost efficient too? they can mix the record and protect the copyrights so the established artists don't need to arrange that?

perhaps it's just me, but is it proven that mixtapes really boost the sales of the retail albums of established artists?
i know that the promotion of a retail album goes to different channels than a mixtape, but still?

Definitely. Mixtape only became a problem with the higher powers that be once record sales dropped. Especially with artists on majors because they felt the tracks they had on there were taking away from sales. That and most artists and DJs if they are selling the tapes split the profits between themselves. No label involved.

I am sure it is like anything else. Skee is not going to charge me the same price as he would Snoop. If he even charges. That and like you said the Dj can handle all the sound quality and other music related stuff, the artist just supplies the tracks they wanted leaked.

MisterX

• 'G'
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 02:45:14 PM »
Who makes money off mixtapes? Do the artist and DJ just split the profits 50/50?

DemolitionMen

• Lil Geezy
  • Demolition Men Muthafuckas
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 04:44:32 PM »

thats the weakest shit i ever heard....rappers would be nothing without the djs spinning their music. whether its in the club, radio or mixtapes. point blank. i dont mean to be so blunt about my opinion but it kills me when people try and act like the dj dont contribute nothin to the success of an artist, established or not. An established artist needs the mixtape djs to keep them poppin in the streets

and the tag lines....some niggas go overboard with that shit. but it is necessary cuz there are scandalous ass djs who will swipe a track off your mixtape (sfx and all) and toss it on his/hers.
DEMOLITION MEN
MYSPACE.COM/DEMOLITIONMENMUSIC
YOUTUBE.COM/THEDEMOMEN
IMEEM.COM/DEMOLITIONMEN

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 09:35:30 AM »
thats the weakest shit i ever heard....rappers would be nothing without the djs spinning their music. whether its in the club, radio or mixtapes. point blank. i dont mean to be so blunt about my opinion but it kills me when people try and act like the dj dont contribute nothin to the success of an artist, established or not. An established artist needs the mixtape djs to keep them poppin in the streets

and the tag lines....some niggas go overboard with that shit. but it is necessary cuz there are scandalous ass djs who will swipe a track off your mixtape (sfx and all) and toss it on his/hers.
nah you misunderstood my posts and no need to repeat what's already been said by others.
i understand that it's a favor for a favor like D~Nice explained, but i was saying that upcoming talents could really use the help of mixtape DJ's, while this isn't necessarily the case with established artists.

like i said before i can imagine that mixtapes can boost sales for established artists, but i doubt it's a requirement, since there are so many factors that decide how much an established artist' soloalbum will sell.

Old English

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 03:31:40 PM »
mixtape dj's are def needed for additional exposure as they usually have the hookup to hiphop websites and retailors that rappers dont have too

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 12:22:35 PM »
I got a couple of theory´s on this

-one could be that these DJ´s got a network of
street teams that hit the streets with the mix-tapes.

-It could be that this is actually a favor to the DJ´s,
the DJ´s can be their tour DJ and with getting their name on the mix-tapes they get a name,
this fame gets them gigs to play at clubs.

-the last one that usually comes up is that it´s there to prevent other DJ´s to use it as their´s.

Well,that was the theories.
Like you said a artist like
Slim could benifit from this but why Game,50 etc.?
They got a "brand name",even before they released a album,
all they could do is put the Aftermath stamp on it.
Or 50,Snoop,Jay-Z or who ever presents -ěnsert name of their new co-signed artist-

yeah there are no statistics. like i said before, i know that the mixtape DJ's promote through different channels than the label does for an album, so sure it will give some extra exposure for established artists, but let's say 50 won't do mixtapes anymore, i doubt it would really hurt his sales for his last soloalbum on interscope.

i'm sure The Game's sales for his last album could be boosted because of the mixtapes, but let's say he didn't do mixtapes, would he only go gold then with the Doctor's Advocate  :-\ :P
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 12:25:20 PM by Dre-Day - Sniper of the Kill Jimmy Iovine Movement »