Author Topic: question for the more traditional/conservative people.  (Read 251 times)

when it rains it pours

question for the more traditional/conservative people.
« on: March 16, 2008, 07:41:31 PM »
why is it that a man should ask a womans father if it is okay for him to date or wed the female?

the man and women need to be happy with each other. the mans spending the rest of his life with the woman, not the father?

i ask this because i turned on the radio and i heard this old bitch Dr. Laura and she was going on about how the fathers approval is needed and all this other BS.
whats your thoughts?

Trauma-san

Re: question for the more traditional/conservative people.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 08:07:11 PM »
If you have no respect for tradition, then who cares?  Just do what you want to do.

When people who have a respect for tradition decide to get married, though, it's customary for the man to ask the father's blessing to marry his daughter.  It's based on the idea that families are functional, loving, supportive, etc.

In the perfect world Dr. Laura's speaking of, life goes like this.

A man marries a woman.

They have a child, a girl. 

The little girl grows up seeing her father act as a man, providing for his family, loving his wife, loving the girl's mother. 

What the little girl gets out of that is the image of a man who is TRULY a man, one who provides for his family, and provides leadership and strength, love and protection, knowledge and honor. 

Of course the mother provides her own things to the family, but we're specifically talking about the relationship between a man and a daughter.

The father, to the little girl, is the model male in her world.  Especially when she's young, he's the one who wakes up every morning and turns the sun on for her.  It's common knowledge that girls idolize their fathers, and from birth on they look to their fathers for guidance.  When it comes to a girl's knowledge about males, she learns everything from her father. 

It's easy to see then that of course (in a perfect world) when the girl gets old enough to date (and marry) that her prospective boyfriend or husband should meet her father.  Until that time, her father is the only man in her life, the man that she looks to for masculine qualities; to provide, to lead, to be strong, to love, to protect, to teach, and to honor. 

She chooses a boyfriend/prospective husband, and then it's up to him to meet her father and ask his blessing to marry his daughter.  If he is granted that honor, then it means that the girl can be sure that her father, the man that up until this time has been the only major male in her life says that this new guy is also an honorable alright male. 

To be honest, it kind of scares me that you don't see why this is a big deal in someone's life.  It's kind of obvious that if you're anykind of quality guy you shouldn't have any problems meeting a girl's father. 

Also, and Dr. Laura I'm sure would agree with this, if you are dealing with an asshole father who's a joke of a man, then there's no need to get his approval. 

BTW, using someone's age as an insult is a childish insult because everybody gets old and nobody has any control over their age.  You shouldn't criticise or make fun of things that people cannot control. 

Of course I don't feel you'll think about any of this, you'll just say "YEAH, WE WANNA FUCK SO WHO CARES WHUT HE THINKS" and that's fine.  I'm just telling you how civilized people think. 

when it rains it pours

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 08:13:13 PM »
i understand what you are saying, but why u takin shots at me?
and btw not all kids grow up with mother and fathers in their life, maybe in the "perfect world".

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 08:26:09 PM »
What?  Not everybody grows up with mothers and fathers? GASP, SAY IT AINT SO.

I got a question for ya; if a girl doesn't have a father, then how do you ask for her hand from him?  You don't.  Which means it ought to be pretty obvious I'm not talking about girls who don't have a father. 

I'm taking potshots at you because you're criticising traditional/conservative people, of which I am one.  Plus you called Dr. Laura "an old bitch" then proceeded to lecture on why guys shouldn't have to talk to a girl's father.  Your disrespect for women preceeded any good opinion I could have formed of you.  Anybody that calls women 'bitches' is a bitch himself, bitch.  Get the fuck outta my thread. 

when it rains it pours

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 08:31:50 PM »
u mad?
the internet is a great place, makes people feel so masculine sitting behind a screen. you could never say that shit that u typed in person. SON
go head and -1, maybe that increase your penis size. 

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 10:50:40 AM »
Anybody that calls women 'bitches' is a bitch himself, bitch.  Get the fuck outta my thread. 
anyone who generally refers to women as bitches cuz they think that shit's mad ganxta is a homo thug with penis size issues, yes. Some women though deserve that label, it's just that people should start realizing that some men do too and for the same reasons that is.

The rest of this I might comment on when I got more time

herpes

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 04:09:20 PM »
What?  Not everybody grows up with mothers and fathers? GASP, SAY IT AINT SO.

Anybody that calls women 'bitches' is a bitch himself,

I actually have to agree with trauma here.  Though like Kill said below some women do deserve that label.