Author Topic: Do You Believe In Fate?  (Read 821 times)

Australian Bastard

Re: Do You Believe In Fate?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 04:22:27 AM »
I believe in ying & yang...if you doing/living in a way in tune wit  either current, you meet things along the way that are also traveling along that current, thats why we gets deju vu, dats why shit seems to click sometimes, dats why sometimes shit seems to be fate...

Elevz

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 05:26:59 AM »
I believe we agree, 7even. Like when:

I hate people who think that everybody could be a genius if only raised right. That's like saying everybody could play tennis like Federer if raised that way. What a load of crap.

Like when your ass is saying:
Being 230lbs is another thing that may seem very much genetic, but honestly, don't you think food patterns and physical exercise are rather much culturally determined?

It doesn't just seem genetic, it is. Of course, with a different personality and environment, some people tend to be more or less likely to be that way. No question about that. Still, there are people who could eat exactly what I eat and turn out completely different after a few months or even weeks.

I didn't mean that it's all about physical exercise and food patterns. Your physical basis is what everything about you is based off. That's your genes, ever since your fertilisation putting together a body and a brain. All else is simply a matter of what happens to those physical aspects.

What I did mean to say with that example, is that it's next to impossible for a human being to weigh 230lbs without being responsible for it. Someone who runs for three hours each day, simply CANNOT weigh 230lbs. Someone with a totally healthy food pattern, simply CANNOT weigh 230lbs. Unless the 230lbs is all muscles, that is; else it would mean some serious overweight. And what is overweight, but a flood of nutrients (often in the form of carbohydrates) entering your body without being burnt? The answer is simple: lessen the input, and your body won't have so much to store. No matter how much your genes promote overweight, at the end of the day, your body doesn't generate energy out of the blue, nor does it function without burning energy. You surely can control what you eat and the amount of energy you use, can't you? Anyone can. There's genetic differences between people when it comes to how fast their bodies store fat, but the functioning is the same.

People often say practice will take them anywhere, but my usual response is that no matter how much I'd practice, I'll never break the marathon world record. But that doesn't mean I couldn't be a much better athlete than I am now. It's a matter of exercise.
You're right about the potential for intelligence, but that's hardly what we as humans consider 'true intelligence'. Hence why in psychology, they (see Philip E. Vernon) determine three different aspects of intelligence: on one side the genetical basis, on another your 'true' intellectual skills as influenced by genetics, culture and social environment, and the third aspect is measurable behavior as influenced by motivation, intellectual skills, personal situation and personality. All of which, with the exception of personal situation, are indirectly the results both genetics and environmental influences.

The conclusion is that you're neither in total control, nor totally helpless. You can do a whole lot about yourself, by simply being reasonable with reality. You can know the boundaries of what's possible, and reach for it.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 05:44:21 AM »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Elevz

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 06:23:30 AM »
8)

J Bananas

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 11:37:24 AM »
yeah but it isn't exact and it's never set in stone.

Elevz

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 12:25:16 PM »

If it's not exact, then what is it?

J Bananas

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 12:30:19 PM »

If it's not exact, then what is it?

it's just a set of circumstances that tips the scale towards an outcome, not an exact set of events and happenings

Sikotic™

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 02:24:43 PM »
Nope, fate is just an excuse. No such thing.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 07:06:25 AM »
7even, you gonna change that sig since its about as wrong as it could be?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 08:28:06 AM »
7even, you gonna change that sig since its about as wrong as it could be?

Lmao, I wanted to do a new one for days, but I never found a proper picture. Have you played a pick-up game with your injured superstar yet?
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2008, 03:50:30 PM »
Well it's funny. Cuz if you believe in psychics, they tell you your future. Well how do they know your future? Your life's gotta be pre-planned word?

There's somethang to think about your 'life being predetermined' question.

But, come on.

Your life is a done deal. Everythang happens for a reason, point blank. Point blank. If it ain't meant to be did, it ain't gon be did. I don't understand how people don't believe that?

Elevz

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2008, 05:21:40 PM »
Are you a plant?

Chief

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2008, 08:16:58 PM »
Well it's funny. Cuz if you believe in psychics, they tell you your future. Well how do they know your future? Your life's gotta be pre-planned word?

There's somethang to think about your 'life being predetermined' question.

But, come on.

Your life is a done deal. Everythang happens for a reason, point blank. Point blank. If it ain't meant to be did, it ain't gon be did. I don't understand how people don't believe that?

thats just the attitude people adopt to make themselves feel better for themselves.

if something is meant to happen, you need to make it happen yourself. if you fail the first time try again... otherwise you're just not cut out for hwat you're doing, i guess that can be fate because there are some peeps out there better at doing shit than others.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 01:43:38 PM »
^ Aight, I hear you Aaliyah. 8)

Are you a plant?
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What?

Elevz

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 04:27:56 PM »
Are you a plant?
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What?

Why, well:

"All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet" - Hunter S. Thompson.
That much is true. But if what you said there is true, then why does everything happen for a reason, and what do you consider a reason? Does that mean that everything has a purpose, or just that everything is part of a game of cause and effect?

Example: If I point a well aimed and loaded gun at you and I pull the trigger, you die. But did you die because I pulled the trigger? Definately (but also because the gun was loaded, and operating, and nothing else got in the way, and I aimed well, etc.). But did I pull that trigger for a reason? I must have, because fingers don't flex at random; neither do guns have a will of their own. But do I have a reason for having a reason? Perhaps - because unless my shooting you was an accident, I wouldn't have done it if I were a strong advocate against violence regardless of its cause (such as a buddhist, just to name something you could think of).
The question is, was I destined to pull that trigger, much like a plant grows towards the sun, or was it a conscious decision I made? Was it something I personally had an influence on, not through my fate, but by my conscious (or even unconscious or subconscious) actions?

Plants do things just because they so happen to be. They grow towards the sun, if thats what their genetic material tells them. They suck up water if they can, whenever their reserves run low, because their genetic material tells them so. Why does their genetic material tell them so? It was a game of chance that made one plant's genetic material like that; it was those specific traits that made such plants more fit for survival through the "whims of the great magnet". There you have it: "the origin of species" (Darwin) in a nutshell.

There's nothing personal about a plant. A plant has no identity because it has no consciousness, no cognition. Still, plants do influence the world. They prevent the earth from eroding, and trees and bushes can change the course of rivers, and of the places animals live, and the decisions of humans as to where to build their homes, etc. But since plants, trees and bushes have no cognition and no consciousness, the way they are and where and how they are is a matter of where other circumstances happen to take them. They're powerless. If a fire comes, they burn. If a flood is on its way, they drown.

We as humans (as well as all animals, only to a lesser degree) are more complex than that. We've got a cognitive faculty, we've got a consciousness. When a fire comes, we either run because we know we can't stand the heat so we get out of the way of the fire, or we think of ways to extinguish the fire. Was that too meant to happen - the way we think, or the way humanity has developed through the inventions, beliefs and doctrines that have guided us the ages? Are you a puppet in the hands of God, or do you have authority over your life, your actions and the direction you're taking? I sure hope it's the latter, because you don't want to be a plant or a puppet, at the mercy of the whims of anything that could, might and will control your destiny?