Author Topic: What do you think of Quik's recent productions?  (Read 511 times)

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
Re: What do you think of Quik's recent productions?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 08:54:02 PM »
I donno, I have heard most of Quik's tracks since 2005, and I haven't felt em too much. The ones y'all mention are definitely decent beats...but just because it's Quik, who's my favorite producer, doesn't mean I automatically like it. Problem is...people always say "fans never give producers a chance to change...they can't stay doing the same thing over and over, they have to evolve, you have to give them credit" but that's not the problem at all. I could care less if Quik changed his style to sound like DJ Premier or even Lil Jon...if it's dope, it's still dope, regardless. I just think that with these songs, especially the ones that he aims to have a down south style, he fails to sound as dope as the dopest down south producers.

When I hear "Can u werk with that" and "Cut throat" I say ok, these are decent beats...but it attempts to sound like the major hits in the south
, with some of those major hits having MUCH BETTER beats than these. I am not talkin about "Laffy taffy" B.S...but tracks like USDA "White girl" T.I. "What you know about that" and "I'm so hood" have a strong energy to them that makes them much better than Quik's tracks. So in my opinion...I will never like a song more just because my favorite artist did it...and I love hearing them try something different, but it still has to be ahead of the game.

Maybe it's because I've been in the south for 5-6 years, and I hear so much of their music, I can judge how dope a good Down South beat is. I think Quik's tracks are decent/good, but they only stand out to us because we are fans of West Coast music. Most people in the south wouldn't be on these tracks nearly as hard.

Cut Throat sounds westcoast as fuck to me. if it wasnt given to joc im sure we woulda got a tighter song out of it

Chief

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 09:02:26 PM »
that ray j tracks pretty crap... press play is awesome and that cu throattrack is OK... pretty hard beat but doesnt have a wow factor like press play..

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 09:18:05 PM »
I donno, I have heard most of Quik's tracks since 2005, and I haven't felt em too much. The ones y'all mention are definitely decent beats...but just because it's Quik, who's my favorite producer, doesn't mean I automatically like it. Problem is...people always say "fans never give producers a chance to change...they can't stay doing the same thing over and over, they have to evolve, you have to give them credit" but that's not the problem at all. I could care less if Quik changed his style to sound like DJ Premier or even Lil Jon...if it's dope, it's still dope, regardless. I just think that with these songs, especially the ones that he aims to have a down south style, he fails to sound as dope as the dopest down south producers.

When I hear "Can u werk with that" and "Cut throat" I say ok, these are decent beats...but it attempts to sound like the major hits in the south
, with some of those major hits having MUCH BETTER beats than these. I am not talkin about "Laffy taffy" B.S...but tracks like USDA "White girl" T.I. "What you know about that" and "I'm so hood" have a strong energy to them that makes them much better than Quik's tracks. So in my opinion...I will never like a song more just because my favorite artist did it...and I love hearing them try something different, but it still has to be ahead of the game.

Maybe it's because I've been in the south for 5-6 years, and I hear so much of their music, I can judge how dope a good Down South beat is. I think Quik's tracks are decent/good, but they only stand out to us because we are fans of West Coast music. Most people in the south wouldn't be on these tracks nearly as hard.

Cut Throat sounds westcoast as fuck to me. if it wasnt given to joc im sure we woulda got a tighter song out of it

The elements in there may be West Coast, but it was definitely a typical down south tempo. I would even say it may have that Midwest sound that Twista and Bone used to get on back in the 90's.

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »

The elements in there may be West Coast, but it was definitely a typical down south tempo. I would even say it may have that Midwest sound that Twista and Bone used to get on back in the 90's.

Can a tempo really be attributed to a specific coast?

by the by, I always thought alot of bone and twista's stuff sounded influenced by the westcoast sound at the time... traxter's sound was really different from no ID and other chi town producers

Okka

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 02:11:22 AM »
"Cut Throat" was fuckin great, even though it doesn't sound like an Quik beat.

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 05:09:19 AM »
it sounds similar to his loyal to the game remix beat. it reminds me alot of some of his trauma stuff as far as mood

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 08:31:16 AM »

Can a tempo really be attributed to a specific coast?

by the by, I always thought alot of bone and twista's stuff sounded influenced by the westcoast sound at the time... traxter's sound was really different from no ID and other chi town producers

Being a producer and DJ...it can to an extent. Tempo has a lot to do with the feel of a song, along with the instrumentation and all of that...so it makes it obvious that someone is attempting a particular style if they use certain elements and use a certain BPM. I do think the elements in "Cut throat" do sound more West than the usual down south song, but it definitely had the typical down south tempo and bounce to it. Swizz Beatz "Money in the bank" had a regular tempo that could be seen as East, West, or even South to an extent...but the elements in there were of a straight hyphy beat.

I don't want anybody to think I'm knockin him for doin this style of beat, either...that's not at all what I'm saying. I just think it's obvious that he was going for a down south style track, or at least a track that a south artist could sound comfortable on. It's a solid beat, but it just ain't f'kin with the best beats I've heard in the south.

englishvocabullaryinuse

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 07:47:42 AM »
Quik is the shit... he produced a platinum album on himself at the age of 19. Name anybody else who did this, in any genre.

I dig all of his new stuff, although that Ray J track was predictable. My top  Quik tracks are as follows (in no special order):

Tonight
Rip your girl
safe and sound
something for the mood
dollar and sense
we still party
bombud 2
youz a gansta
the whole fucking balance and options
ladies and thugs
jet set
world wide am

Cant forget:
Up in da club (musically the shit, lyrically shitty)
Addictive
I'm not really looking (that is the equivalent to R. Kelly's Step in the name of love)
there she goes
loyal to the game
john doe
well

I'm curious to know what happened to the track he did with korn/suga ray/ etc.

I'm also waiting for homeboy to start a fucking band!!!!!!

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 08:15:08 AM »
Quik is the shit... he produced a platinum album on himself at the age of 19. Name anybody else who did this, in any genre.

I dig all of his new stuff, although that Ray J track was predictable. My top  Quik tracks are as follows (in no special order):

Tonight
Rip your girl
safe and sound
something for the mood
dollar and sense
we still party
bombud 2
youz a gansta
the whole fucking balance and options
ladies and thugs
jet set
world wide am

Cant forget:
Up in da club (musically the shit, lyrically shitty)
Addictive
I'm not really looking (that is the equivalent to R. Kelly's Step in the name of love)
there she goes
loyal to the game
john doe
well

I'm curious to know what happened to the track he did with korn/suga ray/ etc.

I'm also waiting for homeboy to start a fucking band!!!!!!

I thought I was the only one who was feelin "I'm not really lookin" like that....I bought Truth Hurts album because of that song, definitely not because of Addictive. I still bump it from time to time...when I come back to L.A., I might try to get that into club rotation if people respond to it right.

marcin1712

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 10:18:12 AM »
In my  opinion "I'm not really lookin" is one of best Quik's production!!!!

englishvocabullaryinuse

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 02:21:46 PM »
yeah man,
The song is the shit... Bassline is crazy a fuck, rhythm guitar sweet, other acoustics are warm, keys are just right for the song.
I had the instrumental to this and would put that on repeat for hours. They fucked up by not making it a follow up single.
I would love to hear some more of this type of production from Quik. It's a timeless song. I'm going to bump it right now.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 05:48:59 PM »
quik is the best

~Lucien~

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 06:05:35 PM »

Jermaine Dupri did

Maully aka [Fitted Da Boss]

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Karma is A Bitch...Know That!
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2008, 07:30:53 PM »
very underated....i fucks wit quik

Ya Boy Is Off The Wall, These Other Niggas Is Titoooo!

therealtran

• 'G'
  • University of Michigan
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2008, 07:38:38 PM »
i love all of DJ Quik's recent productions, especially "where you at"

Inside Death Row