Author Topic: * * * Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II OUT MAY 27th * * *  (Read 230 times)

Elano

* * * Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II OUT MAY 27th * * *
« on: April 16, 2008, 10:30:36 AM »
2006 was the year that word began to spread about the follow-up to The Chef's 1995 hip-hop classic Only Built 4 Cuban Linx. And two years later, silence has since swarmed amongst all awaiting Wu-Tang fans who pretty much gave up on the empty promise that was deemed-- up until now-- broken. Before present time, the only hype left was the two-year-old Myspace blog posted on Raekwon's page which said that the album was "about 96% complete."

If the album was practically done two years ago, why is this album-- which is already dubbed classic by way of its critically acclaimed predecessor-- just now recieving a release date?

"There was a lot of politics and mishap going on behind the scenes," the rep from Raekwon's camp, Ken Brunwick, stated to AP. "Originally, RZA had produced about half of the tracks on Cuban Linx II, but a lot took place in between Rae's Cuban Linx project and the release of the Wu's 8 Diagrams. Rae became a little disgruntled and uneasy about the way the whole Wu project went down-- as was widely publicized. So with that on his shoulders, he wanted to go through and rework the album... to say it lightly."

To refresh your memory, Raekwon expressed his displeasure with the Wu's latest group effort, 8 Diagrams, calling RZA a "hip-hop hippie" and saying that RZA's production was full of "too much guitar sh*t." Ghostface-- in his own words-- agreed, and at one point stated:

"Rza ain't listening. He wanted to make [8 Diagrams] how he wanted it and it ain't come out right. ... He wanna make his own instruments and sh*t and it sounded real horrible. ... we ain't taking the blame for that."

What's done is done. So now what?

"It's set," continued Brunwick. "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II will be in stores May 27th through a negotiated joint deal. The lead single, 'Ode to Shaolin,' which is a sure-to-be-classic produced by Kanye West, will be impacting radio in two weeks max. We've already linked with [director] Steven Tapia and have begun production for the video. Rae peeped the video for Staten Island rapper AC's 'Rae Told Me' and thought that what Tapia did with the video was clever. So we reached out, and it all came together.

"Expect that Raekwon classic material, but with a refreshing touch of today's hottest producers. Sure the RZA sound was-- and still is-- classic. And even RZA's production on the first Cuban Linx album was a shift from his signature sound. But what was hot back in the 90s doesn't necessarily do magic in today's musical climate, especially with the present digital takeover and the tastes of the younger music consumers. Still, innovative MCs like Raekwon posses the ability to keep in step with the changing faces of hip-hop. So expect nothing less than what made the first Cuban Linx... with an extra touch of current hip-hop influence."

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
Re: * * * Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II OUT MAY 27th * * *
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 11:11:07 AM »
hope it's true
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

NillerTheKid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
See these fans can't resist the rush,
they Wu-Tang for life
Scarred for life,
they can't forget the cuts

Matty

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 11:12:23 AM »
this doesn't sound good. the project was originally gonna have production handled by rza and doc dre - it sounds like that a lot/all of that early verison (which was supposed to be crazy) might have been replaced by newer tracks...

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 11:14:16 AM »
this doesn't sound good. the project was originally gonna have production handled by rza and doc dre - it sounds like that a lot/all of that early verison (which was supposed to be crazy) might have been replaced by newer tracks...
true, original producer line up was rza, dre, dj scratch and dilla/dame grease if I remember correctly

no kanye was mentioned, I'm sure of that
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

Young Old Head

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 11:31:54 AM »
guess that means no rza and/or dre production... won't drop via aftermath neither...

would be real fucked up if there's no rza track at all...it ain't a real cuban linx 2 then...

Cash Money Blood Gang

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 11:47:58 AM »
didn't rae say he was gunna re-release 8 diagrams the way he wanted it aswell? I thought that may have been interesting to check out.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 11:48:10 AM »
Whole thing sounds wierd, best thing to do is just wait until the music starts coming out.

operation stackola

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 01:38:23 PM »
The Wu (esp. Rae and Ghost) need to take heed and listen to their leader. Everytime a solo Wu-member album comes out w/o Rza's oversight and production, the product is mediocre. "8 Diagrams" is phenomenal, IMO. The original concept of this "Cuban Linx 2" album had me drooling, but now I have no idea what to expect from Rae.

NillerTheKid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 02:11:45 PM »
didn't rae say he was gunna re-release 8 diagrams the way he wanted it aswell? I thought that may have been interesting to check out.

Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang, right?
See these fans can't resist the rush,
they Wu-Tang for life
Scarred for life,
they can't forget the cuts

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 04:32:30 PM »
IF THERE AINT RZA ON IT IT CANT BE CUBAN LINX 2,fuck it....LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

The Predator

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 06:46:59 PM »
I think this was some old Aprils fools prank.

Invincible

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 02:24:09 PM »
He's gotta change the name of the album if there is no RZA. I remember the when we were all excited about this coming out, but the excitement has faded away like Ja Rule's rap career.

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 04:27:55 PM »
He's gotta change the name of the album if there is no RZA. I remember the when we were all excited about this coming out, but the excitement has faded away like Ja Rule's rap career.
OHHHHHHH

ICEBOX baby. so cooold