Author Topic: visual observations #1 (what is this picture really tryin to put out/say ?)  (Read 631 times)

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster

GOD BLESS ME
good job kain. that was my answer. this picture pushes out the image of a Black male, lookin wild and vicious. and at the same time longs for pale women. its the whole king kong complex. eye find this picture disrespectful

i recently heard about this picture...they were asking lebron about it...and he said out of all of the pictures from the shoot, it was the one he liked the best and actually picked. he approved it, knowing full well the implications that people would make. i give it up to lebron for bein a man about it and trying to confront it head on.

Australian Bastard

The Gorrilla is an intelligent and powerful creature. While watching King Kong you gotta ask yourself who was the real animal/beast in that movie, the people hunting him with guns after stealing him from his natural habitat or King Kong himself who really reacts in an understandable and logical way to the brutality and insensitivity he is put through. That was the morale of the movie really.

Concerning this cover, I see it like this, there is a strong successful athletic black man, somebody who has attained the apex of their physical. He has with him, a beautiful white woman, whom he appears to have 'attained'. It is King Kongish, but is it negative? Was king kong really an ugly brutal animal? No. He was King Kong. The Chinese attribute animal qualites to people, the dog=loyalty, the tiger=inner strength and courage, the rooster=proud, King Kong/the gorrilla is no different, he got qualities. Pac, Malcom X, Wesley Snipes, they are all representative of King Kong's qualities to some degree.The cover is a picture of success, i like it. Of course there is the prospect of an emerging sterotype that black people are only successful at entertainment and sports and that black people are always portrayed in a certain way, but that isn't because of a conspiracy by them devils, nothing is ever that simple. Its actaully because people LOVE that image, kids look up to heroes and champions, since the days of GILGAMESH.  Its an image that people love and the CEOs know they will move CDs and magazines off shelves with that image. Of course, anything in abundance loses its value after awhile, thats another reason why hip-hop isn't selling so much anymore...
interesting view but shit still dont change. that aint nothing new like it aint nothing new when pale face devils go to some land and call the natives "savages" and "primitive" but we all know they are the real savages. eye just dont like how they made lebron look like that. something about that mag cover gets to me. he def. should declined on that photo shoot. eye know eye would
Bob Marley said: while you pointing fingers someone else is judging you.
Lebron maybe on the cover playing the sterotypical successful black man, but maybe he actually IS successful and black. You yourself have a picture in your sig of a black man holding gun, wearing a doo-rag and a name brand shirt. However, if you don't like the picture, then you don't like the picture, word. I don't deny you your way of thinking, because you tend to actually think. But also, Ive found nothing in the world is ever so simple as to be explained subjectively, the truth, i find, is often a variety of things at the same time.

"I'm a victim of the very song I sing"
-Inspectah Deck, 'You Can't Stop Me'. 
PEACE.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 07:08:36 AM by Illuminatus Overfiendus »

Bedford Iz Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • O.Gz Movements.
To me it carries the black stereotypical of

' We're only good for/at sports. '

Like Sikotic said, why not the suitcase eh? When's the last time we saw a real black business man on the front of a well known magazine.
Boy Better Know I roll deep with the Nastiest crew, i'm P-Money but i'm O.Gz too"

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Like Sikotic said, why not the suitcase eh? When's the last time we saw a real black business man on the front of a well known magazine.
Well, to be fair, this is a Shape Issue about perfect bodies 'n shit. The black dude's ferocious look on this cover is one thing, but a black scientist or businessman would not exactly illustrate the point