Author Topic: Rakim - "Oh My God"  (Read 16861 times)

bricklayer

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Rakim - "Oh My God"
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2002, 06:07:48 AM »
yeah thas cool and all but i was hopin for a crazy mc to b feat on his album with him, but thas cool.........when is the album supposed to hit stores and also, whats gonna b his 1st song and shit......i mean theres gots to b otha info leakin out on ra.....hollllllllllllla back incognito
peace
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Murrow

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2002, 08:35:37 AM »
All the recent reports say Ra is finishing up his album.  They say it will drop in the summer, I'm thinkin July - August.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2002, 09:48:29 AM »
All the recent reports say Ra is finishing up his album.  They say it will drop in the summer, I'm thinkin July - August.

july august would be tight but i gotta feelin it wont be out until like september unless dre really wants ta move on real fast with this and if there a good buzz about rakim after his lil cameo on truth debut than im sure we aint to far away from his release. plus dre does thangs mathematically so if dre had rakim on truths first song, which i believe he decided to, i think he did for a indication that ra is coming real soon............as long as critics and fans take to his appearance on truths debut well n all u know, which basically was tight anyways.

shits gonna be tight, cant wait, but i dont want no wack mcs on this album, all i wanna hear is dre, snoop, nas, if they having knock on it, hopefully only for a hook and i wouldnt mind either hittman or eminem on it, which i doubt will happen but ya never know. this album should be real dope as long as there aint to many featuriings on it.

bricklayer

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2002, 03:43:47 PM »
a yo no disrespect those rappers u mentioned and all, but u really think they on ra's album.......i agree wit not to many mc's at all, but if any mc's gonna rock wit ra i would wanna hear em,nas, gza, or krs......holllllla......funny thing is also shit bout ra neva leaks out......but yeah i read that this is the most anticipated hip-hop album in 2002.....hollllllllla
peace

quizzac

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2002, 05:04:16 AM »
It is amazing how Rakim has kept a certain enigma around his name to this day.  He remains respected and anticipated despite some less than classic releases in recent years.  Although “The Master” was to me, an excellent album, sans the love songs.  If he takes this opportinuty to step forward lyrically & take the mantle as well as using his newly elevated platform to educate and open the minds of the listeners to the various plights that affect us all as humans, then we will have a timeless classic to play for our grandchildren and their children.  That is, if the world lasts that long...

Murrow

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2002, 07:49:29 AM »
There's a reason Rakim has been spitting his lyrics of fury for 16 years, causing people to declare him the rap messiah, a microphone god: the man has no lapses in his concentration.

Last week in Los Angeles, on the set of his new label mate Truth Hurts' debut video, "Addictive," he was fixated on the camera. With the belly-dancing-appropriate track playing in the background, Rakim barely nodded his head and hardly peeped at the four voluptuous beauties swirling around him. Like the opening line in his guest verse declares, he's "thinking of a master plan."

"Me and Dre gonna shake the world up," Rakim said earlier in the day. The rapper, who reached iconic status with Eric B. via the 1987 hit "Paid in Full," has been working with Dr. Dre on his third solo LP, Oh My God.

"The concept is self-explanatory," he explained in usual laid-back baritone. "When people hear the album, that's the first thing [we hope] they say: 'Oh my God! Ra and Dre finally [got together.]' When people hear it, we want them to be blown away, and at the same time I wanna change the game again. We've got high expectations for this album."

"I have to go to work right now and hard," Dre said on the video set. "I want this to be one of the best albums I've worked on. Everybody loves Rakim. He still gets respect. Everybody wants to hear him. I feel like it's gonna be like Quentin Tarantino bringing back John Travolta — just that big blast. So far, everything we've recorded is amazing."

Hip-hop fans that for years have been waiting for one the architects of MCing to team with rap's beatmaking guru would expect nothing less. The legendary wordsmith said he and Dre are "full-steam ahead" in the studio and that by late summer the project they've been talking about for close to a decade should be in stores. Dre, though, said he's thinking about a winter release.

Rakim called his time in the lab with Dre "refreshing" and said, "You get up in the studio with Dre, nothing [else] matters. He's in there from three in the afternoon to six in the morning. To see somebody work like that, it rekindles the fire within you and makes you wanna be next to him and make it happen. His energy in the studio is real bright, and I like that."

The excitement goes both ways. "It's pretty crazy," Dre said. "I had to get over the initial shock that I was working with Rakim. I think I'm past that now. I can concentrate on getting creative and bringing something out of him maybe he didn't know he had, get something new and fresh out of him — something that's gonna be a lot better than what the other MCs are doing today. I'm not gonna stop until I accomplish that."

Rakim said that with Dre handling the bulk of the production (DJ Premier has also signed on) it's easier for him to concentrate on writing those innovative rhymes.

"When I broke up with Erick B., I went on a little hiatus. Then all I was trying do is find producers. It's real hard, man. When you're dealing with a bunch of different producers, you gotta make sure the chemistry fits. You can't have 12 records on your album and none of them sound alike. You gotta kind of have something to make them say, 'That sounds like Rakim.' It's hard. That's why this position that I'm in with Dr. Dre, I can sit back and focus on the notebook and pad. I'm in a real good position. I couldn't ask for a better producer."

What he is asking for is for some of his peers to put more thought into their music. He's hoping that like his classic debut, Paid in Full, Oh My God will show him leading by example.

"Hip-hop, we're getting slack on the creative process of what rappers are talking about," he explained. "I want to do what I feel hip-hop is. I want everybody to acknowledge it. I don't want to knock nobody down, but what I want to do on this album is point at what I think real hip-hop is. If it works, then it's all to the good. If not, then I might have to submit to what's going on, but I'll never do that! I always went left to what everybody else was doing. I'm used to going against the grain. I definitely want to make a statement this time and change rap."

(musictelevision.com)

bricklayer

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2002, 04:12:17 PM »
i just copped the source the otha day, and in the fat tape section it had the watcher part 2, dr dre and rakim.......my question iz duz anyone know when the songs in the fat tape section usually comes out or some kinda time period.......holllllllllllllllla
peace

Jome

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2002, 04:14:32 PM »
i just copped the source the otha day, and in the fat tape section it had the watcher part 2, dr dre and rakim.......my question iz duz anyone know when the songs in the fat tape section usually comes out or some kinda time period.......holllllllllllllllla
peace

That's impossible to say, as the Source often got shit we won't be able to hear for months, and sometimes: ever.

Murrow

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2002, 08:41:55 AM »
Mtv.com:  But Dr. Dre, reclining in his audio operating room of mixing boards and
recording equipment, can't contain his excitement about his latest patient, Rakim, the man
who drew up the blueprint for MCing, a lyricist so legendary in rap circles that he's often
called "the god."

The young fans who nowadays are responsible for current rappers selling millions may not
be aware who Rakim is. But you gotta remember, Rakim's reign of terror in the rap world
reached its peak in the '80s.  

"The first few joints we did, I had to get over the fact that I was working with Rakim,"
Dre says, grinning and leaning forward. "It was a little hard to direct him, you know what
I mean? But now that we've been talking and getting to know each other a little bit, it's
getting a little easier. I can throw some concepts at him and we can vibe."

With Rakim, Dre has signed his first already-established star (besides himself, of course).
But it's been 15 years since Rakim and former partner Eric B. scored a hit with Paid in
Full, and other comeback attempts have not faired well. Orchestrating Rakim's return is a
challenge Dre is embracing.

I told him I wanted it to be both of our best albums, Dre says, proudly setting his
expectations high. "With any project that I get involved in, I feel like there's pressure. I
think that's what makes my music come out so good. I'm my worst critic, so I guess I give
myself most of the pressure. More pressure than probably the public does, you know. So I
just have to please myself, and once I do that usually the public digs it."

bricklayer

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2002, 04:59:51 PM »
has anybody heard any of rakim's tracks yet......u betta have somethin to say bout that incognito....hollllllla
peace

Murrow

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2002, 03:01:04 AM »
has anybody heard any of rakim's tracks yet......u betta have somethin to say bout that incognito....hollllllla
peace

I assure you no one from here has.

bricklayer

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2002, 06:53:57 AM »
incognito>>>> yeah then why did overseer say he did(at least some of them)......and he was like it makes u wanna say "oh my god".......hollllllllla
peace

Rud

• Kingdingaling
  • Connected
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2002, 07:15:51 AM »
Naw I Remember You Misread That Thread - Seer Got That Article From MTV.com I Think It Was From (Sway's?) Eyes NOT Seers!!

LOL - I Forgot To Correct Ya On That @ The Time

peace

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2002, 08:18:11 AM »
incognito>>>> yeah then why did overseer say he did(at least some of them)......and he was like it makes u wanna say "oh my god".......hollllllllla
peace

lol homie he took that atircle off mtv to show us all man, dont worry man!! rakim will drop an album some day!

.: God Is One :.

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • .:CPT´s own REAL Muthaphukkin G´:.
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2002, 11:19:22 PM »
Word is that www.deathrowentertainment.com has a clip of "The Watcher 2" go check it out!

Peace
"When I sit back n´ look, when i used to be crook, doin whatever it took, from snatching chains to pocketbooks" - Notorious B.I.G "Ready 2 Die"