Author Topic: New Nas - Be A Nigger Too [NODJ][DIRTY]  (Read 789 times)

Australian Bastard

Re: New Nas - Be A Nigger Too [NODJ][DIRTY]
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2008, 06:05:28 AM »

[...] We hear the word 'nigger' so much already in rap music. It ain't no thing to hear that word thrown around in a rap song, thats what NaS is demonstrating with the chorus.
NaS is trying to milk the word for all it's worth, BUT, thats nothing that rappers have not done before, the  difference is NaS will do it with more intelligence and insight than your average rapper and do it with substance, his shit make you think [...]

In a way NaS is actually setting rules with this word, with this word in rap music by taking it and using it up, i'm not saying there won't be anymore use of word in rap music, that naive, i don't even think it really matters if artists use the word but alot of the time in rap its just: nigga, nigga, nigga, thats all the song is about, its stupid, theres no art to it. Nas is setting the boundary with the word, kinda saying OK if you are going to use that word do it with some artistic merit and substance, do it with intelligence, don't just be a Lil Jon 'Minstrel Show' nigger.

It has to start somewhere. You can't deny Nas is an artist with a pretty large audience, and the things he says through his interviews and, most importantly, his music do give shape to the sphere of ideas. People notice it, they pay attention to it, they consider it, and then comes the process of recycling the music through listening to it over and over again... In a way, rap music is a great tool for propagandistic purposes. One song may not seem relevant all by itself, but it can contribute greatly to what people think and how they feel about certain issues.

Besides, I think Nas is doing a good job when it comes to making people aware of what they do, how they do it and why they do it. If a black guy calls his friends niggas - why the hell would you use a racially charged word to address your friends? Regardless of whether you mean it in a positive way - it doesn't change the word. If you want to get rid of the negativity surrounding the words nigger and nigga, better not use the word at all instead of reminding people of it all the time.

Rap music/pop music IS a great subliminal brainwashing tool. Psychologists have found (peep the BBC documentary How Art Made The World) that when people are made to think about death it produces a response where they will allign and protect themselves. They are ancient tools of manipulation and control, it ain't no mystery to archaeologists and historians. The concept of HELL, salvation and Christ nailed to a cross evolved out of this (peep pre-Roman Etruscian art). The Aztecs controlled and maintained an empire based on this.  Cloverfield and I Am Legend were fucking brainwashing operations, for two hours people sitting in a dark room infront of a massive screen being shown images of death.
So, word hip-hop and pop is a tool and performers sell a lifestyle and a frame of mind.

There is that side of culture and hip-hop.

Then there is another side in which I consider alot of hip-hop artists , in that, although they touch on the base things like debauchery, death and material wealth, but they do not confine themselves to that. Thats the difference between art and an advertisment commercial.

"I showed you tales of shootouts...and the cosmos"
-Killah Priest, 'Uprising', The Offering.

PEACE.

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2008, 09:56:54 AM »
Damn Nas ripped this shit...

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2008, 05:24:07 PM »
Right right.  Respect.  Props to everyone who took part in that conversation with me.  I guess the song did it's job cuz it got us talking....