Author Topic: Not Guilty, Cops Walk In Sean Bell Killing  (Read 727 times)

Elano

Not Guilty, Cops Walk In Sean Bell Killing
« on: April 26, 2008, 03:44:40 AM »
Sean Bell's furious father made a graveside vow to "shut this city down" Friday after a judge cleared the three cops who killed his son in a 50-bullet barrage.

"The judge spit in my damn face, but I knew it was coming," a bitter William Bell told the Rev. Al Sharpton beside Bell's grave at the Nassau Knolls Cemetery and Memorial Park in Port Washington, L.I.

"Now we're going to shut this city down. We're going to shut down Queens; we're going to shut down Wall Street."

Calling the Bell verdict "an abortion of justice," Sharpton later vowed to hit New Yorkers "in the pocketbook" and said he was looking for volunteers ready to "go to jail" if necessary.

"They expect us to react in traditional ways; they will not get that," he said on his radio show in Harlem. "We are going to engage in economic withdrawal. We are going to engage in nonviolent civil disobedience."

More than 100 blocks away in lower Manhattan, Michael Palladino, the president of the Detectives' Endowment Association, praised the verdict while Detectives Michael Oliver, Gescard Isnora and Marc Cooper spoke publicly for the first time since the Nov. 25, 2006, shooting.

Cooper apologized to the Bell family "for the tragedy."

In other developments:

The Justice Department said it would review the case to see if Bell's civil rights were violated when he was killed on his wedding day. The three cops remain on modified duty and have surrendered their guns.
Weeping shooting survivor Trent Benefield called the verdict "unfair" and vowed to keep fighting. "They should have gotten what they deserve. If I did it, I'd be doing 25 to life."
Mayor Bloomberg, who took a lot of heat from cop groups for saying the shooting appeared to be "excessive," said, "There are no winners and losers in a trial like this."
Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly, who mobilized hundreds of extra cops in case there was trouble Friday, appealed for calm. "Some people were disappointed with the verdict and we understand that," he said.
Tears of rage and joy flowed in the Queens courtroom after Supreme Court Justice Arthur Cooperman read his verdict a little after 9 a.m.

Bell's fiancée, Nicole Paultre Bell, ran crying out of the courtroon while Benefield broke down in tears. William and Valerie Bell, Sean's parents, sat in stunned silence while Bell supporters swore under their breaths.

On the other side of the tense courtroom, Oliver appeared to be weeping with relief as he and the other acquitted detectives were hustled out through a back door.

Outside Queens Supreme Court, small scuffles broke out after Bell supporters walked out, some of them yelling, "Murderers! Murderers!" and "KKK!" The hundreds of police officers standing watch quickly intervened and there were no other outbursts.

Bell, a 23-year-old father of two, was sitting in his car with two pals, Benefield and Joseph Guzman, when he was killed. They had just been at the Kalua Cabaret, a strip joint in Jamaica, Queens, for Bell's bachelor party.

Isnora, Cooper and Oliver were carrying out an undercover sting operation at the club. When the shooting was over, Bell was dead and Benefield and Guzmanwere badly wounded.

In reaching his verdict, Cooperman had to consider two simple-yet-competing arguments - either the police were reckless and overreacted or the victims were acting like drunken thugs and brought it on themselves.

Defense lawyers said the detectives fired on Bell's car in self-defense because they believed Guzman was reaching for a gun. No gun was found.

Cooperman said the prosecution's case was undermined by "prior inconsistent statements." He said he didn't believe their star witnesses - Benefield and Guzman.

Benefield's testimony, in particular, "eviscerated the credibility of those prosecution witnesses," the judge said. "At times, the testimony just didn't make sense."

Before wrapping up its case, the defense played a tape of Benefield right after the shooting in which he said a man - who never identified himself as a detective - suddenly fired on Bell's car.

Prosecutors were perplexed at the time, but the defense insisted the tape contradicted what Benefield said in court, and the judge agreed.

"His credibility was seriously impeached," he said.

Cooperman said Guzman's angry turn on the stand hurt the prosecution's case. He also was swayed by defense arguments that the survivors might have tailored their testimony to win a $50 million civil suit against the city.

Noting that Bell, Benefield and Guzman all had criminal records, Cooperman questioned why they chose for Bell's bachelor party a strip club "known as venues that create criminal activity . . . such as prostitution."

Cooperman insisted the court "did not view the victims or the NYPD as having been on trial here," but "the burden was on the people to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt."

Justification was used as a defense, so Cooperman said he had to consider the "mindset of the defendants, not the victims. What the victims did was more important to resolve the issues at hand than what was in their minds."

Cooperman said he believed cops' claims that Guzman threatened to fetch a gun after Bell got into a squabble with a stranger outside the club.

"The confrontation that took place in front of the club was heated," the judge said.

"The court finds another threat was made by Joseph Guzman."

Cooperman was silent on what many considered a key issue in the case - whether the undercover cops identified themselves before they opened fire.

"The incident lasted just seconds," the judge said. Despite "the unfortunate circumstances of their conduct, the actions of the defendants was not proved to be criminal."

Cooperman delivered his verdict in a stern voice, interrupting his monologue only once when Benefield's baby began crying in court. "I'm not going to continue unless the child is removed," he said.

Benefield's girlfriend, Nyla Page Walthrus, quickly walked out with the 16-month-old boy.

Cooperman's verdict closed the book on a closely watched eight-week trial during which NYPD procedures were put under the microscope and the reputations of Bell and his wounded buddies were dragged through the mud.

Oliver, who fired 31 times and reloaded once, and Isnora, who fired 11 times, had been charged with manslaughter, felony assault and reckless endangerment. They faced up to 25 years in prison if convicted on all charges.

Cooper, who fired four times, faced up to a year in jail if convicted of reckless endangerment.

None of the detectives testified, although their grand jury testimony was read aloud at the trial.

Like Guzman and Benefield, Bell was black. Race didn't figure as prominently in the case because Cooper, 40, and Isnora, 29, are black, and Oliver, 36, is of Lebanese descent.

Elano

Re: Not Guilty, Cops Walk In Sean Bell Killing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 10:49:27 AM »
Seventeen months to the day since the November 25, 2006 shooting of Sean Bell, a queens judge found three undercover detectives involved not guilty on all charges today (April 24).

Detectives Michael Oliver and Gescard Isnora who faced the most charges, were both acquitted on first and second degree manslaughter, which carries a possible sentence of 25 years in prison.

They were also acquitted of first and second degree felony assault, and reckless endangerment. Detective Marc Cooper was also acquitted on the two counts of reckless endangerment he was charged with.

"The Hip-Hop Summit Action Network expressed today its profound dismay in the wake of the not guilty verdicts for the New York City police officers who were involved in the killing of Sean Bell," HSAN President and CEO Dr. Benjamin Chavis told AllHipHop.com. "Hip-Hop is an inclusive cultural phenomenon that represents the highest aspirations of all youth of the human family. The injustice that is so evident in the case of Sean Bell reminds us of the old America at a time when millions of young people are raising their voices and votes for a new America. Police brutality is not a new phenomenon, but unfortunately, the system of justice, particularly in New York City, appears to be incapable of rendering equal justice without the taint of racial bias and prejudice."

The verdict came in just after 9:00 am, after nearly two weeks of deliberation.

The detectives opted out of a trial by jury and instead the seven weeks of testimony was heard by State Supreme Court Justice Arthur J Cooperman.

"This case was not about justice. This case was about the police officers having the right to act above the law… Justice was not here today. This court is obviously bankrupt of justice when it comes to people of color," added Leroy Gadsden of the NAACP.

According to Judge Cooperman, he had a hard time finding the testimony of the victims credible. "The people have not proved beyond a reasonable doubt that each defendant was not justified" in shooting the victims, Cooperman said.

"What happened in that case is a f***ing travesty," outspoken Atlanta rapper Killer Mike told AllHipHop.com. "What is the police trying to force the underclass to do? The police maintain jobs when they have something to police. By agitating the people you just create a bigger need for police. So instead of the police protecting and serving the community, the community becomes a commodity for the police force."

Steele of pioneering Hip-Hop duo Smif-N-Wessun expressed his anger with the verdict, as well as the police.

"There’s a war against us waged by the so-called powers that be and their first infantry are these murderous pigs they use to keep us in place by harassment and murder," Steele said. "We must stand together and defend ourselves and be smart. We are all under surveillance. It’s time to stand up."

Sean Bell, 23, was killed in the early morning hours of November 25, 2006 after leaving Kalua, a Queens strip club where he'd just wrapped up his bachelor party.

An NYPD undercover investigation unit looking to make arrests in their prostitution case witnessed an argument between one of Bells friends and another man.

Detective Isnora told the grand jury that he believed that Bells friend Joseph Guzman was going to get a gun out of Bells car.

That's when he followed the men and called for back up. Bell, along with his two friends Joseph Guzman and Trent Benefield got into his Nissan Altima.

Then with Bell behind the wheel, officers approached the car and drew their weapons without identifying themselves as police, according to the testimony of Guzman and Benefield.

Detective Oliver was the only one who reloaded his 9mm semi automatic weapon firing 31 shots, while Detective Isnora let off 11 shots, and Detective Cooper fired 4.

No gun was found in Bells car. Dr. Chavis urged the Hip-Hop community to remain calm and channel any anger into positive, constructive energy to bring forth change.

"The anger and disgust that the Hip-Hop community certainly feels today should not be permitted to develop into anything negative, as a response," Dr. Chavis noted. "Sean Bell's death will not be in vain, to the extent to which millions of youth work even harder to demand equal justice, and to fundamentally change the current system of injustice."

Elano

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 11:07:23 AM »
It’s been a minute since I’ve blogged on this site, and those of you around during the infancy stages of DX blogging will recognize the screenname (note to all: I haven’t gone anywhere, I just write under my government now: Anthony Springer, Jr.)

I can’t recall the last time I shed a tear over too much of anything in the news, not 9/11, not Jena, Darfur. The Sean Bell verdict did what an act of terrorism and a genocide could not: move me to tears. My heart hurts for the Bell family, his wife, and the two daughters that will grow up without a father. But most of all, I hurt for everybody who’s ever been killed or maimed at the hands of overzealous, cowardly and crooked officers.

To continue saying “fuck the police,” at this point in time is counterproductive, and gets us nowhere. Sure, it makes us feel good (go on and say it now, you know you want to), but at the end of the day, we’ve wasted emotions and black and brown men everywhere will still be getting shot across the country and we’ll be left feeling powerless to do anything about it.

My blogging brethren J. Burnett  issued a call to action, and if that was the alley oop, I hope this post is the dunk that hits home with somebody out there in cyberspace.

Barack Obama commented on the verdict today, saying, "Well, look, obviously there was a tragedy in New York. I said at the time, without benefit of all the facts before me, that it looked like a possible case of excessive force. The judge has made his ruling, and we're a nation of laws, so we respect the verdict that came down.”

I don’t expect Obama to take a real controversial stance on the issue, and while his statement was, to say the least, disappointing, there’s a gem in there that we need to heed.

In a nation of lawless police, we are a nation of laws, which means that we can’t be content to march in the streets and we can’t resort to random acts of violence against law enforcement. We need to lobby our elected officials to change our laws.

“Dollars and change,” in the words of the late Johnnie Cochran.There’s no amount of money that will bring Mr. Bell back, but if the people who fund the police are made to pay EVERY time some rogue cop acts a fool, the police may think twice before drawing a weapon. And we need to lobby for changes to the court system. Expecting the police to police themselves is ridiculous; expecting the local district attorney—who’s success DEPENDS on a good working relationship with the police—is equally ridiculous. Cases involving police misconduct should be investigated, at worst, by an independent body and at best by the FBI or Justice Department.

The three officers in the Bell case were likely acquitted because they opted for a trial by judge instead of a jury. This needs to change as well. Trials involving police misconduct should be MANDATORY jury trials, in a venue close to the location of the incident in question.

Bullshit rolls down, real change is an uphill battle, who’s willing to push the wagon for justice and equality? I seldom agree with Al Sharpton, but justice was aborted today. Let’s not allow Mr. Bell’s death to be in vain.

herpes

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 12:21:44 PM »
I don't believe in god and all that bull shit but if its real when those cops die they will get whats coming to them.  Especially Michael Oliver the one that let off 31 of the 51 shots.

WestCoasta

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 12:45:11 PM »
oh shit that nigga Al Sharpton

Elano

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 01:02:58 PM »
<a href="http://youtube.com/v/-jc-0aqVfrE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://youtube.com/v/-jc-0aqVfrE</a>

Elano

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 05:10:56 AM »
Ice Cube, Chamillionaire, Al Sharpton Are Disgusted By The 'Injustice' Of Sean Bell Verdict

Unadulterated anger, confusion but certainly not shock are some of the feelings that members of the hip-hop community have expressed about the verdict in the Sean Bell case. Three New York police detectives were acquitted Friday morning (April 25) of any wrongdoing in the Bell case. Bell was shot 50 times by the cops, who claim they thought he had gun after leaving his bachelor party in Queens. Investigations proved he was unarmed.

"This is just another example that the justice system in America views a black life as worthless," Ice Cube bluntly fumed in a statement.

"It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that shooting an innocent, unarmed man 50-plus times is an excessive use of force," Chamillionaire said. "... I'm sure a lot of people are as disappointed with this verdict as I am. It scares me to know what type of power is given to people who are supposed to be protecting us from harm. It seems like they are all just protecting themselves. The verdict sends a terrible message to people across the nation who already don't have faith in the law or our justice system. It will be hard for people to see this as anything other than a case of police protection. Our prayers go out to the family and friends of Sean Bell."

"I don't know what implications a guilty or not guilty verdict in the Sean Bell case has on our society," Russell Simmons said in a statement released to MTV News on Friday. "I only know for certain that we need more sensitivity training as part of the police curriculum. I also believe a more intimate dialogue must be promoted between police and communities. This process could change the perception by some in the 'hood who view the police presence as an occupying force when they could or should see them as a security force working for the people."

"The verdict is almost as tragic as the incident," UGK's Bun B said. "We've already lost [a] life, and now we've got a loss of justice and loss of reciprocation for what's happened. And it cuts you on so many levels."

Bun insisted that the law has to change. "Some kind of legislation that holds police more accountable [is needed]," he said. " ... I would love to see the Sean Bell bill passed, you know what I'm saying? Something in his name. Let's not mar his memory with violence. ... I feel like people should be upset. They should be mad, but that's what they expect for us to do with our anger. That's what they expect us to do with our energy, is to put it back out and to take their negative energy and turn it into something even more negative. We gotta take that sh-- and do it into something positive for this dude, because ... Sean Bell could've been anybody, literally. Sean Bell wasn't a celebrity. He wasn't an athlete. ... He was just a man trying to take care of his family, trying to do his thing, just do him. This could be anybody. Any man."

DJ Drama said the Bell case is just one more instance of injustice, and he wasn't surprised by the outcome at all. He was almost expecting it.

"I almost had a feeling of how the outcome is gonna be," Drama said Friday in Atlanta. "To wake up and see that — as much as things change, the more they stay the same. You look at this country on one hand, you have a black man and a woman running for president. Then you look at the justice system, and every cop in the Sean Bell case getting acquitted. We got a lot of work to do. The struggle never ends. It affects all of us. Anybody with a voice, you gotta use your voice and speak on it when you see injustice. That's what I think it is: injustice."

"I just got sick, man," Bun B agreed. "You can't even be surprised, 'cause it's not like this hasn't happened before. It just knocks the wind out of you. For one, I'm like, 'Jesus Christ, so the wife and family get nothing.' Of course, they get the appeal of the verdict or whatever, but it's disgusting, to be honest."

The Rev. Al Sharpton, who called the verdict an "abortion of justice," is planning a protest rally in Harlem on Saturday morning alongside Bell's fiancee, Nicole Paultre-Bell, and victims Joseph Guzman and Trent Benefield. On Friday, MTV News caught up with Sharpton and the victims' lawyers.

"I think that we need a cross-section of groups to come together," Sharpton said from his National Action Network headquarters in Harlem. "We need to sit down immediately and plan a strategy and make it international, with the goals being a structural change in policing. I believe we can get to the federal government. Then we're going to wait again for another trial. There's something wrong with the law, and we must change that."

Lawyers for the victims' families echoed Sharpton's statements. "We feel as though justice was snatched out of our hands," said attorney Michael Hardy. " ... It's just hard to believe that we can live in a city where several years ago, Amadou Diallo could be shot at 41 times and no one is responsible, and now you can be shot at 50 times with no justification and no one's held accountable for that."

Meanwhile, the hip-hop community will continue to speak out against the case as well. Some are even venting their frustrations in the studio.

"The song is called 'Get Your Issue,' " Bun B said of one of his recent recordings. "It's talking about police brutality in the 'hood and how many brothers over the past years have gone down. It's just really been ugly ... but New York police have been out of line for a long time.

"I don't really know if they're gonna wanna listen to music right now," he added about the Bell family. "But [I made the song] just so they know that people do care. I don't know Sean. I've never met him or seen him before, but he's a black man. He was a human being. He was a husband and a father. I relate to that on all levels, you know what I'm saying?"

Mobb Deep's Prodigy raps about the infamous case on his album H.N.I.C., Pt. 2, which was released Tuesday: "I only lie to the police/ On the real/ New York pricks and di--s/ Know the deal/ They wanna do the kid/ Like my n---a Sean Bell/ F--- that, it be a racist cop/ Burial with the bagpipe music."

Before ending his press conference, Sharpton told a packed room of protesters they had "lost a round, but the fight was still on."

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 02:40:17 PM »
I support the police 100%.

Narrator

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 02:53:54 PM »
What a great reason to shoot another random cop on the street...or maybe a random cracker, since they're all the same. I think I'll load up the chopper and go slay some devils.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 03:38:20 PM »
oh shit that nigga Al Sharpton
That nigga think's he on some God shit. Nigga is useless. He just wants the world to think the black community is listenin' to him. 'They ain't riotin' becuz he called out for non-violence alternatives' ::)

What a great reason to shoot another random cop on the street...or maybe a random cracker, since they're all the same. I think I'll load up the chopper and go slay some devils.
Yeah but 2 these niggas was black. They done sold out. I guess a cop is a cop now. Nasty shit.

Narrator

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 03:58:42 PM »
Yeah but 2 these niggas was black. They done sold out. I guess a cop is a cop now. Nasty shit.

The crackers' system made them.  The crackers will have to pay.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 04:02:59 PM »
Al Sharpton is just another attention whore like most people who think they speak for "the community". What bothers me, though, is that I was immediately assuming that those cops were white... and if it wasn't for QT I would still think so. Like most people would, I guess.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 04:06:07 PM »
Exactly. That's the word, attention whore. And niggas STILL let this dude control they issues. Fuckk that. :-\

everlast1986

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 08:31:36 AM »
I don't believe in god and all that bull shit but if its real when those cops die they will get whats coming to them.  Especially Michael Oliver the one that let off 31 of the 51 shots.

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 11:19:35 AM »
this just goes to show how they think about us. they think we are savages and wild beast thats why they first reaction is to unload on us with out sparkin a convo. eye hope ya niggas wake the fuck up and see that THEY aint playin so we need to stop playing. and yea 2 of them niggas were Black but that dont mean shit. the system is a corrupt system created by these white devils. so once u become a cop you change too. and prolly start laughin at the racist joke they throw at your own race, like a slave. that shit would never happen if they were white. if they were white them cops would went about it in a whole different way. and this just added to my hatred for the white race. shits fuckin bullshit