Author Topic: Knoc-turn'al - "Knoc's Landin"  (Read 6235 times)

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Re: Knoc-turn'al - "Knoc's Landin"
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2002, 02:17:01 AM »
cant wait for this now, i got that nite n day joint off west coask 2k and its addictive as fuck man! cant wait for this shit
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Murrow

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2002, 07:58:48 AM »
Newcomer Knoc-Turn'Al thinks he and Dr. Dre. might have set a hip-hop record.

"We worked 72 hours in a studio nonstop recording 'The Wash' soundtrack," Knoc-Turn'Al said last week from his record label's Los Angeles office. "I don't think we could do it again. The security guys would see me coming and say, 'Man is it going to be another one of those days?' "

Just in case that doesn't make the record books, Knoc's got another impressive feat worth boasting about.

In the three years he spent working on his debut album, Knoc's Landin', due April 23, Knoc wrote more than 300 songs.

"As we were going along, I would do 20 songs and then like drop all of them except the three that everybody felt were the hottest," he explained. "When it was all said and done, I had 30 songs [that] I had to drop down to 14. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be, but it was still kind of tedious."

Among those that made the cut is "The Knoc," his first single. Both the song and the video — directed by Jeff Richter (Black Rob, Jurassic 5) — feature Dre and Missy Elliott. Like most of the tracks on Knoc's Landin', Dre produced "The Knoc" at his studio.

"He put the beat up, and I just started writing to it that night," Knoc recalled. "It was like me letting people know I'm here and I want to talk to you. I was really trying to hold more of a conversation than anything in that song — let people get the feel that I can rap, I'm not just a hook person."

Knoc-Turn'Al, whose father was in a funk band and took him to Rick James concerts, has been rapping for as long as he can remember. He honed his skills during a four-year stretch in prison, where he wrote 150 songs, none of which appear on Knoc's Landin'.

"You have to keep moving on. Using songs you wrote three years ago is bullsh--," he said. "And I'm not trying to dig up those bones in my closet. That's not something I want to glorify. I don't want kids walking around talking about prison sh--. That's like embedding something in their minds they don't really need to hear."

Once outside of bars, Knoc hooked up with hip-hop label LA Confidential, whose CEO introduced him to Dre. Knoc made an instant impression on the hip-hop mogul and co-wrote and appeared on four songs on his Chronic 2001. He also co-wrote "Bad Intentions" and "The Wash" for "The Wash" soundtrack, Dre's "Put It On Me" for the "Training Day" soundtrack and Warren G's "Lookin' At You."

"Being from the West Coast, that's the ultimate, working with Dr. Dre," Knoc said. "He is the founder and pioneer of West Coast rap. His sound is incredible. Once I hooked up with him, it felt like home" — only more demanding. "It's always a challenge working with Dre because he does not like to be outdone in any way shape or form," he added. "He strives for perfection."

Several other artists appear on Knoc's Landin' as well, including Timbaland, Warren G, Too Short, Hitman and Slip Capone. Knoc-Turn'Al also recorded a few collaborations that didn't make the record.

"I sure hope they aren't mad at me," Knoc said, sounding genuinely concerned. "You gotta realize, not only are you cutting off songs, you're cutting off people. I just hope they don't take it personal. It's a business."

While recording his album, Knoc-Turn'Al got to know other West Coast rappers who have worked with Dre, and he's since bonded with them in a crusade to help the scene grow.

"We got a nice little foundation out here now," he said. "Instead of being all secluded, we're being more together. Like, me and Xzibit went to a club the other night. Instead of alienating ourselves from each other and saying, 'No, I wanna be closer to Dre,' 'No, I do,' like little bitches. We ain't doing that. We're holding this sh-- together."

Knoc continues to write with other artists and is talking with Nate Dogg and Fabolous about a summer tour. Mostly, though, he's just waiting for his album to come out.

"I'm getting anxiety attacks and sh--," he said.

Doggystylin

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2002, 02:32:19 PM »
thats tight, i cant wait for this shit, should be hot!

Bosko-2G

• 'G'
  • My man Big Tigger. Holla at ya boy!
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2002, 10:28:37 AM »
Is it just me, or does the cover look underground as fuck? Anyway, who gives a fuck about the cover.. this shit will be hot. A Snoop collabo would've been dope though.. I can't believe these 2 ain't hooked up yet.
Dope like tonz 'o coke.

Head Honcho

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2002, 06:20:28 AM »
So which of the following songs are gonna be featured Knocs album:

Watch Out
Let's All Roll
Let Shit Go (or whatever, ya know the son fortiey hooked us up with)
Nite & Day
It's All About The Doe
Doing The Most
I Need You
Knoc/Knoc's Landin (or are the two different songs)
Str8 West Coast (heard somewhere that it'll be featured)
What The Hoes Say (fortiey)
Money Sniffing Bitches (fortiey)

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2002, 10:40:08 AM »
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

Jome

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2002, 11:01:31 AM »
Hehehe ;D

Murrow

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2002, 11:43:05 AM »
Here is an advance of the album...the retail will prolly end up different:

01    Bad Intentions     3:03     fi<=€›

fi€<=›    02    LA night and day   4:00     fi<=€›

fi€<=›    03    come all you       3:52     fi<=€›

fi€<=›    04    what they say      4:13     fi<=€›

fi€<=›    05    knocs landin       2:23     fi<=€›

fi€<=›    06    let shit go        3:44     fi<=€›

fi€<=›    07    everywhere i go    4:10     fi<=€›

fi€<=›    08    lets all roll      4:18     fi<=€›

fi€<=›    09    only if its gangsta     3:09     fi<=€›

fi€<=›    10    knoc     4:24     fi<=€›

fi€<=›    11    la confidential    3:10     fi<=€›

fi€<=›    12    when it all comes down to it 4:18     fi<=€›

fi€<=›    13    these hoes    4:26     fi<=€›

fi€<=›    14    i used to love her      3:58     fi<=€›

fi€<=›    15    whatcha gonna do   4:06     fi<=€›

fi€<=›    16    you dont know much (plus bonus)   7:47

gFuNkA

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2002, 07:59:03 AM »
Knoc-Turn'al - Knoc's Landin'
01. Intro
02. Knoc's Landin'
03. The Knoc" f/ Dre and Missy Elliott
04. I Like f/ Yero
05. Watch Out f/ Hittman
06. Str8 Westcoast
07. Let's All Roll f/ Slip Capone, Timebomb, Jayo Felony & Butch Cassidy
08. Your Only Son
09. Cash Sniffin' Noes f/ Too Short & Slip Capone
10. Born 2 Hustle f/ S-Dog
11. LA Nite-N-Day
12. Have Fun
13. I Use 2 Luv Her
14. The Reverend Knoc f/ Warren G
15. What Is Life

Murrow

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2002, 01:35:48 PM »
I recieved a Elektra newletter and it read this for releases:

Knoc-turn'al - Knocs Landin' (in stores June)

Murrow

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2002, 09:15:10 AM »
^  Scratch that.  Looks like Knoc is re-doing his whole fuckin album.  Now the date is somewhere in the fall.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2002, 11:19:21 AM »
i think this shits gonna cost him a bomb, cuz first he got bootlegged badly, everyone had his fuckin album like february time when it was coming out in april!! though the only song i heard so far is nite and day n knock, he probably also then realised that his shit wudnt sell as much he was hoping for and electra and then he probably also got sum feedback that alot of ppl think his flow n lyrics be wack, so he probably gone back to fix up and n come back alot sharper and if his shit dont sell when he comes back, his fucked. lets hope he releases summat good cuz he seems real arrogant, so lets hope he shows why n sells somes units for the west coast!

peace

Biron

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2002, 01:13:58 AM »
he seems real arrogant.TRUE

Jome

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2002, 07:21:08 AM »
he seems real arrogant.TRUE

Myrealname with his 436th alias?
Clown

Murrow

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2002, 03:14:52 PM »
ThaFormula.com - Were the Dre tracks on your album done by Mel-Man and Dre or just Dre?  
Knoc - Dr. Dre and Scott Storch did one, Dre did the other one and another one Mel did by him. I got some production by Timbaland on the album, Fred Wreck, and me and L.A. Confidential Productions.

ThaFormula.com - What made you decide to hook up with Timberland?

Knoc - He's dope. He got the second most sold records producer wise besides Dr. Dre so you tell me what's wrong with that. I don't hate, I just say “hey records sold, is records sold.”

ThaFormula.com - Did you choose to go with Timbaland because of the records sold?

Knoc - I choose to go with him because he's dope. I told you that.

ThaFormula.com - Why do you think the Knocturnal album is dropping now, but the Hittman is not?

Knoc - You have to ask Aftermath that. That's none of my business. I'm signed to L.A. Confidential.

ThaFormula.com - Why do you think you have received so much love from Dre?

Knoc - Oh man, I have no idea man. When I go in there and he needs me to do something for him, I just try to do my job and do it the best I can.

ThaFormula.com - It's just that it's rare for Dre to back somebody up so much, especially because you’re not even on Aftermath?

Knoc - That's true. I guess he appreciates my talent. I appreciate him giving me that type of love and doing that for me.

ThaFormula.com - So how exactly is it set up between you and Elektra?

Knoc - It's 50/50. It's a real label deal. I'm signed to L.A. Confidential and distributed by Elektra.

ThaFormula.com - Did Elektra approach you to try and sign you as one of their artists first?

Knoc - Nah, never. They went through us straight as a label.

ThaFormula.com - Do you think that what you have done is the future of what artists will be doing?

Knoc - No I don't. I think that that's a rarity. It's not easy man. It's a lot of business involved, not just talent. Everybody can't be a boss.

ThaFormula.com - Now what about your budget? Is it smaller when you’re distributed by a major instead of actually being signed?

Knoc - Of course not. It's bigger.

ThaFormula.com - So what exactly does L.A. Confidential do?

Knoc - Come up with all the music. Get all the production out the way as far as we do the footwork on the album on what needs to be done. Markets and gets us around and stuff like that to different retails, promoters and radio stations to get it out.

ThaFormula.com - How has everything changed since "Bad Intentions" dropped?

Knoc - Man, let me tell you like this. I went to 40 something states in six weeks and I been on 30 something planes.

ThaFormula.com - Who pays for all those expenses?

Knoc - Both. Like I told you, it's a 50/50 split all the way around.

ThaFormula.com - How was it for you recording that video for Knoc?.

Knoc - It was tedious, but you know I rather be tired then bored. It was a real hard process.

ThaFormula.com - Were you happy with the results of that video?

Knoc - Of course because it looked real and convincing instead of looking like it's a bunch of computer generated shit and it's something that is kind of hard for you to catch at first until you actually pay attention to the video. It looks natural.

ThaFormula.com - Mostly everybody follows whatever is hot at the moment. Your album was surprising to me because it was nothing like the single.

Knoc - Yeah, but you know that's all apart of me trying to be true to myself. I can't rap like nobody from the East Coast because that ain't me. I didn't come from there and I'm not trying to be accepted. I'm trying to be me and see that all comes with being signed to L.A. Confidential. My boss gave me total creative control. He just tried to come in sometimes to tell me and find ways to do it better. He didn't discourage me, he just let me keep making music.

ThaFormula.com - How many tracks did you record for this album?

Knoc - A little over 300 in 3 years. I narrowed it down to like 14.

ThaFormula.com - Yeah, because I remember seeing poster for your album about a year and a half ago up in Compton and Long Beach. What are the plans for the 280 tracks that didn't make the album?

Knoc - Man, they probably will just sit there. It's on to a new day man. Those 300 tracks are what it took for me to make my album. It's out with the old and in with the new.

ThaFormula.com - Who did you have doing production on those other tracks that didn't make the cut?

Knoc – A lot of people man. Battlecat, Budda, Jazzy Pha, me, L.A. Confidential. I got songs with Sticky Fingaz, Ms. Roc, and a lot of songs with other people that I'm not even using, and it's not because it wasn't dope, I just was looking for a complete vibe on my album.

ThaFormula.com - Do you plan on releasing those at any time?

Knoc - Nah, like I said out with the old and in with the new. I'm just gonna move forward and make new songs. Dr. Dre made a hundred and something songs for the chronic 2001 album. You thinkin’ he is going to release the ones he didn't use? Nope! He don't. It's like you gotta keep on movin’ forward man. If you start doing that, you will start getting lazy. You don't wanna get lazy because then you will start slippin’ and thinkin’ everything that you’re doing is good.

ThaFormula.com - So you don't plan on doing anything with those tracks at all?

Knoc - No, I really don't. Unless somebody comes in and want a mixtape, but I'm not trying to put it on no album or nothin’ like that.

ThaFormula.com - How has the response been in the East Coast?

Knoc - The East Coast response has been wonderful. Actually it picked up a lot faster then I thought it would.