Author Topic: DJ Quik -  "Under The Influence"  (Read 2080 times)

Murrow

Re: DJ Quik -  "Under The Influence"
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2002, 08:58:19 AM »
Tha Formula -
The release of DJ Quik's "Under the influence" LP has been pushed back to June 4th 2002.  DJ Quik is in the studio as we speak recording a track with Dr. Dre that will be featured as the first single from the Soundtrack from Chris Rock's upcoming film.  Also, don't be surprised to see DJ Quik performing at the upcoming ESPN Action Sports and music awards show at the Universal Amphitheatre in Los Angeles April 16th.  We will be having a couple of DJ Quik competitions very soon, so stay tuned for more info on that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

G-Funkin_Funker

Re: DJ Quik -  "Under Tha Influence"
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2002, 12:51:00 PM »
DJ Quik's "Under Tha Influence" just got a 4 mic rating in The Source!

IKON

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Pharoahe - God's Gift to Vocabulary BIOTCH!!!!
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2002, 07:41:02 PM »
I have a feeling that this album is gonna be classic!!!!!!
Damn I can't wait til June :P >:( :-/

Suga Foot

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2002, 07:26:08 PM »
I'm  Pretty Sure It's Droppin June 11th now.

Suga Foot

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2002, 07:26:35 PM »
::)

From TooGangsta:

DJ Quick's Album Pushed Back Posted Monday, April 15, 2002 by Tha Realnezz

Quick seemingly best album "Under The Influence" have been pushed back to july 4th. Allhiphop.com reported that "The album was delayed so that Quik and Dr. Dre could go back into a studio in Los Angeles to work on two last minute additions for the album."

Under The Influence have received an outstanding 4 mics from The Source Magazine, with the new single "Trouble" featuring AMG getting spins in the west, and in NY Power 105.1, Quick is taking his time to make this album a worthy one. He also produced the new single for Dr.Dre's protege Truth Hurts, which also features Rakim, the Rap "Master" himself.

And you can roll to westcoast2k.cjb.net to see a real interview Quick did on The Wake Up Show, where he spoke his mind on Suge knight. After the interview, you will see why this kat is real cus he spit it real and let his opinions out.

Murrow

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2002, 03:44:42 AM »
Hoping to catch some of that energy tonight is Amir, a fresh faced Persian-American MC (yeah, that’s right) with tatoos in Arabic on his arms. Amir has wisely sought the talents of one of hip-hop’s most consistent and innovative beatmakers for a track on his debut. DJ Quik is taking a break from mixing down the freshman’s song to check the text messages on his 2-way pager. The alert goes off to the tune of “Trouble,” the first single from Quik’s sixth and latest album, Under the Influence. It took him three hours to program the 2-way tune (complete with a vibrator bassline.) When did he find the time?
On Under the Influence, DJ Quik continues to try his best to be on some “no more drama” shit. “Would you rather be in these streets scrapping and shooting with these niggas,” he asks on songtitleTK. “Or somewhere with a blunt in your mouth getting your dick sucked by a bad ass bitch?”

That seems like a pretty easy question.

“The new album is me going where I’ve never gone before,” says Quik, sipping his cocktail. “Musically and lyrically. It’s me being a rapper finally instead of just bullshitting on tracks and not being sure if people would like it or not. Like, when I was signed to fuckin’ Profile and Arista, I didn’t really have no confidence because they would never pay me. It’s like, just pay the man and let the man go in there and do what he gotta do or let him go. With this record, there’s a whole lot of confidence. I know I’m spitting some shit. And I ain’t on no ego shit, because I really look at myself as a producer first, rapper maybe third or fourth. Because I like playing music. But at the same time, I paid the exact same amount of attention to every aspect of this album—lyrics, music, guest artists. It was really meticulous, more than any other album I’ve ever done.”

It’s also his least “West Coast sounding” album ever. You know we live in a new and different world when super-lyrical East Coast cats like Pharoahe Monch and Talib Kweli show up on a DJ Quik album.

“The new album is not territorial and I purposely made it that way,” says Quik. “I would want someone in Duluth or Fargo, North Dakota, to listen to this record and say, ‘Hey, this is good music.’ Everybody can’t relate to gangbanging. Everybody can’t relate to the way Ecstacy feels, because everybody don’t do weird drugs. So I didn’t make no record with no references to dumb shit. There’s no gangbanging. Again. And I think you can be strong and hard without gangbanging, because if you a real gangbanger—if you lived through the bullshit—you become a general. I was always a street lieutenant, and now I’m a general. I moved up in rank. I got stars and stripes now, purple hearts and shit for saving muthafuckas. So give me my stripes, man.”

And since you know he ain’t ashamed, and you know he ain’t bashful, go on and pop the bottle so he can pour him a glassful.

PULL QUOTES
“All the shit I’ve been holding onto, all the hot beats I never wanted to sell for ten or twenty thousand dollars a piece just to make some money, all them timeless beats that I kept buried away in the archives—I shitted on this album with all of them. I smeared them all over the CD.”

“It’s funny, I was saying this while he was alive, but now, after he’s dead, [I can still say] Mausberg was the greatest rapper. Mausberg didn’t get a chance to show the whole world what he knew. His music’s gonna live forever and it’s going to be limited to those that really look for him.”

“The new album is me going where I’ve never gone before. Musically and lyrically. It’s me being a rapper finally instead of just bullshitting on tracks and not being sure if people would like it or not.”

Techniq

• 'G'
  • Pimp Playa O.G.
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2002, 03:34:00 PM »
Been waitin' Quik 2 drop sum new shit 4 awhile... n that song Trouble iz dope as fucc! I wanna git tha dirty version of that, any1 got it?

G'z up, hoe'z down, muthafucca blaze up.

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2002, 07:45:16 AM »
Sup pimps and players, here's the official tracklist. Ya heard it here first (unless you saw it somewhere else hehe)

Proem  
Trouble  
Come 2 Nite  
Put It On Me  
Murda 1 Case  
Ev'ryday  
Get Loaded  
Gina Statuatorre  
50 Ways  
Quik's Groove  
Get Tha Money  
One On 1  
Sex Crimey  
Birdz & Da Beez
Better Neva Than Late - (hidden track)
Chopin Groove - (hidden track)
Well - (hidden track)  

Props to Big Loco for this  ;D

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Tito

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2002, 09:43:57 PM »
I doubt this will be the final and official tracklisting  ::)

gFuNkA

Sikotic™

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2002, 12:30:29 PM »
I'manxious for the release of this and Raphael Saadiq's album
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE