Author Topic: The Blueprint vs. Stillmatic  (Read 1678 times)

Zero4eva

The Blueprint vs. Stillmatic
« on: September 16, 2002, 12:40:52 AM »
Yesterday I listened to both albums again. Ever since Illmatic I've been a Nas fan, but I gotta admit: The Blueprint is a much better album. The production is better and the lyrics fit perfectly with the beats. At least Nas takes home the award for best song (One Mic), but honestly speaking, I'm not looking forward to God's Son - I'm looking forward to The Gift & The Curse. Hereby I officially declare myself a Jay-Z (and Rocafella) fan. It took a decade but now it happened.

P.S. If it's true and Kanye West really produces some beats for Rakim..... whoaaaa

Young Dan Iza

Re: The Blueprint vs. Stillmatic
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2002, 07:23:41 AM »
yeah blueprint is the better album, im still bumpin that shit man, i hardly ever listen 2 stillmatic anymore, it just doesnt have the same staying power
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Rick

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Kweli
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2002, 09:06:06 AM »
yeah blueprint is the better album, im still bumpin that shit man, i hardly ever listen 2 stillmatic anymore, it just doesnt have the same staying power

HBKid_Jr

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2002, 09:12:28 AM »
stillmatic

Zero4eva

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2002, 09:17:53 AM »
stillmatic

the lost tapes is better than stillmatic. I can't get enough of U Gotta Love It & My Way

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2002, 10:22:35 AM »
This is how I see it:

Production: The Blueprint (Basically the production made this album what it is, in other words thats the best part.)

Lyrics: Stillmatic

Content: Stillmatic

Rappers Overall Performance: Tie (I this is Nas' best performance since "Illmatic" and I think it was also Jay's best performance since "Reasonable Doubt".)

Longevity: Stillmatic (I havn't listened to "The Blueprint" since the month it dropped, but i've listened to "Stillmatic" pretty much every week since it leaked.)

Art Work: The Blueprint (I love the art work for this album, the blueprint sheets etc were a great idea.)

I gotta give props to Jay, he really showed that he can pull of a solid album nowadays, it's not on the same level as "Reasonable Doubt" but it's his best effort since, imo. I just think "Stillmatic" held strength in more important areas, like content, lyrics etc, therefore it is the better album to me.  

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2002, 10:43:24 AM »
The first half of Stillmatic shits on anything Jigga ever did.

I havent listened to a non-Unplugged Blueprint song since about December of last year so....

Nas by far.
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2002, 10:56:50 AM »
The first half of Stillmatic shits on anything Jigga ever did.

thats possibly one of the dumbest comments i have ever heard on these boards considering reasonable doubt was better than every cd nas ever released minus illmatic...
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

Jome

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2002, 05:05:41 PM »
Blueprint is def. better than Stillmatic.

Stillmatic: Good solid album, many classics cuts, but with too much fillers, and some of the tracks sounds boring.
Sounds like too much like a advance to be classic.
4 of 5 mics

Blueprint: Very good album, but with a few fillers, and it's too short. Some classics cuts, and some very dope ones, but the 2-3 average/filler ones denies it's classic status.
4.5 of 5 mics

Zero4eva

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2002, 09:34:46 PM »

Stillmatic: Good solid album, many classics cuts, but with too much fillers, and some of the tracks sounds boring.
Sounds like too much like a advance to be classic.
4 of 5 mics

Blueprint: Very good album, but with a few fillers, and it's too short. Some classics cuts, and some very dope ones, but the 2-3 average/filler ones denies it's classic status.
4.5 of 5 mics

exactly what I thought... Nas biggest problem: wackass beats. Ether is a damn good diss, but the beat makes it a bit....uhm....weird.

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2002, 09:38:17 PM »

The Blueprint
This lp still has the same fresh sound as when it dropped to me, I haven't took it out of rotation since last year.
Jigga really dropped a gem for his fan's. I expspecialy feel the Girls, Girls, Girls (bonus) that was included at the end....whoa!!!

I take no sides in the beef's...cause Both Nas & Jigga are equal to me.
But Jigga just came with more intent on making an ablum with diversity with fun cut's/club banger's like....
"Izzo (H.O.V.A.)"
"Girls, Girls, Girls"
"Takeover"
"Hola' Hovito"
And some heartfelt ish like....
"Song Cry"
"All I Need"
"Blueprint (Momma Loves Me)"
Some filler ish such as....
"The Ruler's Back"
"Jigga That N***a"
And a collab wit' everyone's favorite...Eminem. "Renegade"
--------------------------------------------
In the end I belive ImO Jigga came out with the best work of his carrer since 96'.
And his nexx lp might surpass this one.
Plus the production was top knotch & sound's unlike anything before....kinda like "The Dynasty" fucked "Reasonable doubt" got it knocked-up and had a baby "Blueprint"....lol

OnE
Hatesrats 2oo2

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2002, 09:57:28 PM »
Stillmatic is easily the better album. Lyrically, there is no comparison, and content-wise, again no comparison. The only thing the Blueprint has is production, the beats are pretty hot. However, Stillmatic doesnt have bad production by any means, and I think the beats go with the lyrics very well. Also, I hardly ever play the Blueprint anymore, while I still play Stillmatic on occasion [havent heard it in awhile though].
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

King-Suge

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 1000 plus posts under my belt..Its GOOD to be King
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2002, 06:09:52 AM »
The Blueprint is the better album.  Stillmatic, quite frankly, is Mediocrematic.  Every song on the Blueprint is hot..but w/ Mediocrematic I find myself hitting fast forward quite often.   Its also interesting how people who once claimed Mediocrematic was the best album ever, are FINALLY turning their backs on it and analyzing it as the so-so project it really is.  Illl give Nas credit for putting out something better than Nastradamus--but with Blueprint Jigga proved he is the KING of New York.  That's real talk..
I only gave you the crown, so I could shoot it off your fucking head-Suge

Refer to me as your highness or dont refer at all

The King is Eddie Winslow/Youre a modern day Urkel/Ill throw you in the pool and hide your pink snorkel.

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2002, 06:49:18 AM »

thats possibly one of the dumbest comments i have ever heard on these boards considering reasonable doubt was better than every cd nas ever released minus illmatic...

really, what exactly has Jigga ever done that's fucking with Stillmatic from the Intro through Destroy and Rebuild?  considering most people who call reasonable doubt a classic didn't hear it until it got re-released.  Jay is a talented MC, and he can churn out the club bangers, but he can't fade Nas if we're talking about straight hip-hop.  I'd take the first 9 stillmatic songs over any of Jigga's LPs... that way I wouldn't have to keep skipping his corny singles.
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2002, 04:00:18 AM »
Jay Z does not bring anything new to the Rap table. Nas is by far the better rapper, and fuck beats. 80% of HipHop is sampled, atleast 11 out of 15 songs are straight rips from old songs, Kanye West and Just Blaze just add simple drum beat over them and lopp the best parts. You must judge hip hop for the creative aspect of it, and that is the lyrical aspect. And in the lyrical aspect Jay Z has not EVER said anything that had not already been overdone. If you wanna listen to beats go by some 60s and 70s rock and RnB records, trust me the "music" is much better, the only significant sound HipHop has brought to music was scratching and they don't even use that too much anymore.