Author Topic: The Blueprint vs. Stillmatic  (Read 1680 times)

Zero4eva

Re: The Blueprint vs. Stillmatic
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2002, 07:18:54 AM »
Jay Z does not bring anything new to the Rap table. Nas is by far the better rapper, and fuck beats. 80% of HipHop is sampled, atleast 11 out of 15 songs are straight rips from old songs, Kanye West and Just Blaze just add simple drum beat over them and lopp the best parts. You must judge hip hop for the creative aspect of it, and that is the lyrical aspect. And in the lyrical aspect Jay Z has not EVER said anything that had not already been overdone. If you wanna listen to beats go by some 60s and 70s rock and RnB records, trust me the "music" is much better, the only significant sound HipHop has brought to music was scratching and they don't even use that too much anymore.

lol.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2002, 09:55:30 AM »
Why LOL?

Zero4eva

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2002, 11:53:13 AM »
Jay Z does not bring anything new to the Rap table. Nas is by far the better rapper, and fuck beats. 80% of HipHop is sampled, atleast 11 out of 15 songs are straight rips from old songs, Kanye West and Just Blaze just add simple drum beat over them and lopp the best parts. You must judge hip hop for the creative aspect of it, and that is the lyrical aspect. And in the lyrical aspect Jay Z has not EVER said anything that had not already been overdone. If you wanna listen to beats go by some 60s and 70s rock and RnB records, trust me the "music" is much better, the only significant sound HipHop has brought to music was scratching and they don't even use that too much anymore.

- As if makin beats was no "creative process" .... I can't do a beat like "Song Cry" or " Ain't No Love". You gotta have to have that special feeling to combine a classic loop with the appropriate drum patterns.
- Jay-Z got charisma & flow. Sometimes it ain't about the lyrics, but the vibe. Dre is a better producer than Pete Rock but I prefer Pete. Why? Cuz of the vibe.
- I agree with you on Nas bein the better lyricist, but he lacks of charisma.
- HipHop brought back the drums
- Compared to Miles Davis soul is naive bullshit. Compared to Bach Miles Davis is a beginner.

HipHop is just a kind of music, nothin more, nothin less. I laughed at your comment cuz it reminded me of my former music teacher. He was like "Soul and all this black music have been done before - classic music is the shit".

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2002, 04:12:28 AM »
I respect your opinion even though I disagree. I do believe hip hop is music, but unless more artist come up with new sounds, it should be a genre focused on lyrics rather than melodies. Don't sell yourself short, if you had a drum machine and a computer with the right program you could make "Song Cry". And What do you mean Hip Hop broght the drums back? Where did they go? Your average rock band drummer could easily humiliate any rap producer with a drum machine. In the end the more respected product is the one that comes from scratch, sampling is like making a collage using various parts of paintings from the renaissance period for a magazine cover. It could be a brilliant collage but it will never as regarded or as good as any of the individual paintings, why? because it is easier to build on to something than it is to create something new.

As far as the Nas's lack of charisma goes, that is subjective, personally I "feel" nas more than Jigga I don't know why I just do. Jay Z to me comes off as to egotistical and self-promotional, Nas is not innocent to all that but Jay does it on every song, even his serious ones, when he raps about his father, who abodoned him, Jay makes me want to dance with his flow.

But hey if people can say Biggie was better than Pac and still look at themselves in the mirror then anything is possible.

P.S. I don't hate Jay-Z, if I did I would not have bought all his albums, I just don't think is a 5 mic rapper, and Nas is.

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2002, 06:20:37 AM »
Dre's not a better producer than Pete Rock  :P
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

Zero4eva

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2002, 08:06:05 AM »
Dre's not a better producer than Pete Rock  :P

I wish he was better than dre. but he isn't - he's limited to his his sp 1200 & mpc and that's it.

P.S. better = more versatile

Zero4eva

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2002, 08:08:00 AM »

P.S. I don't hate Jay-Z, if I did I would not have bought all his albums, I just don't think is a 5 mic rapper, and Nas is.

yes.

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2002, 12:07:33 PM »

I wish he was better than dre. but he isn't - he's limited to his his sp 1200 & mpc and that's it.

P.S. better = more versatile

i'd be more likely to anticipate a new Pete Rock joint than a Dre joint... just because he's been using chronic 2001 leftovers for the last year and a half.
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

teecee

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2002, 02:22:14 PM »
This Blueprint vs Stillmatic is a TIRED argument.....it depends what the fuck you like.  Nas, on one hand, is MUCH better at real hiphop and is a far deeper lyricist than Jay Z.  On the other hand, Nas cannot fuck with Jigga as far as charisma and commercial hits (Nas should stay away from commercial rap period).........

Me, i prefer the Nas album because it is MOSTLY authentic hiphop, and Jay Z's is great due mainly because of the production.  I mean, really, what the fuck is Jay Z saying that means anything?  Anyway, Jay Z's album is WAY more fun and is a great commercial album..........i just prefer songs like One Mic and You're Da Man to Izzo and Song Cry, so i gotta go with nas on this one!

P.s.- For those who Jayz's first album was so great, i say it is not even on par with Nas second album It Was Written.  Why?  Well, it had a couple horrible songs (ain't No Nigga!) and
noone even payed attention to it when it dropped (me and Cliche did, and there was not much of  a buzz about the album but we thought it was tight nonetheless)....then Jay zZ blows up a bit, Big dies, The Source really gets on Jay's nuts, they rerelease Jayz first album, and all of a sudden it is a five mic groundbreaking classic?  Please..............

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2002, 01:15:34 AM »

P.s.- For those who Jayz's first album was so great, i say it is not even on par with Nas second album It Was Written.

I'm with you on that, i've always said that I don't think Jay has even recorded anything on par to "It Was Written", let alone "Stillmatic".

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.