Author Topic: Gimmie some good U2 songs  (Read 790 times)

Sikotic™

Gimmie some good U2 songs
« on: September 18, 2002, 02:03:33 PM »
Pweeeeeze.......
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Trauma-san

Re: Gimmie some good U2 songs
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2002, 06:59:05 PM »
I'll divide them into categories, so you can grab what you want, lol.

If you want U2 love songs, download

"One" off of Achtung, Baby
"With or Without You" off of The Joshua Tree
"Mysterious Ways" off of Achtung, Baby
"The Sweetest Thing" off of their Greatest Hits
"New Years Day" off of War

If you want U2 classic, rock style songs, get

"In the Name of Love" (Martin Luther King, Jr. tribute) off of The Joshua Tree
"Where the Streets Have No Name" off of The Joshua Tree
"Helter Skelter" off of Rattle & Hum
"Bullet The Blue Sky" off of Rattle & Hum
"Red Hill Town" off of The Joshua Tree
"I Will Follow" off of the "War" album ? (I think)
"Sunday, Bloody Sunday" off of "War"

If you want U2's newer stuff, from the 90's, which is AWESOME , download this... it's poppy, slick, techno funk type stuff, really hard to describe.

"Lemon" off of "Zooropa"
"Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car" off of "Zooropa"
"Numb" off of "Zooropa"
"Trying to throw your arms around the world" off of Achtung, Baby
"Disqoteque" off of POP
"Staring at the Sun" off of POP
"The Last Night On Earth" off of POP
"Wake Up Dead Man" off of POP
"The Playboy Mansion" off of POP

U2 have went through a ton of changes since they came out in 81? or so.  First, they were kind of a rock band, but it was really basic, political stuff.  They had a ton of charged up Irish politics in their songs.  In the late 80's, around 87, they released "The Joshua Tree" which revolutionized music, in my opinion.  It was really soulfull, rock.  Love songs, and Bono's voice was AMAZING, he sounds like an Angel on earth.  Some of the songs were still Political, and they were just powerful stuff, really well written, very clever and honest lyrics, great music.  Next, they got pretty famous, and did a world tour, they released recordings from it, along with new songs, on their slick album "Rattle and Hum" which is kinda like a supercharged version of "the Joshua Tree" since some of the songs are the same, except live with thousands of screaming fans, and most of the added songs are pretty rocking, they have a duet with B.B. King on there, called "When Love Comes To Town" that's just great.  Next, Bono did a song "I've got you under my Skin" with Frank Sinatra on his "Duets" album, you should get, it's great.  Next, they released "Achtung, Baby" which is even MORE pop, but kinda like predecesor to the whole grunge movement thing... I think it came out in 92 or so, and had a lot of great songs on it, Bono was getting more into soulfull type singing, ... it's like pop spirit music or something, lol.  His voice is stunning on a lot of these songs.  

Next, they turned into legends.  They released an album in 94? called "Zooropa".  This is when Bono starting developing alter egos.  The concept is that, the rock business is a Zoo, and the world is a Zoo.  So, they went totally over the top, and embraced the "zoo" concept, in an album, a video, and a world tour.  While on tour, Bono would come on stage as different personas, and use computer equipment hooked up to the screens on stage to prank phone call people like madonna... one time, he called from stage and ordered pizza for everybody in the stadium.  Their music took on a strange, techno/pop/glam rock type sound, and really took them to the next level, I think.  This is my favourite stuff of theirs.  The album has stuff like "Lemon", with bono singing in a falsetto voice half the time, and the Edge (one of the world's most inventive guitarists) chiming in in a monotone vocal to sing the bridge... with bono singing falsetto harmonies in the background the whole time... lol you've got to hear it.  It's almost like hiphop, driving bass, sharp drums, really great.  Bono - "And I feel... like I'm driftin, Driftin, Driftin', from the Sho'.... and I feel, like I'm slowly Slippin' UndAAAAAA!!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!" and then the Edge - "Man builds a city.  banks and cathedrals.  Man dreams of leaving, but he always waits behind.  Man captures color.  Man likes to spend.  Turns his money into light, to look for her. " Crazy Stuff.

He had 1 character called "The Fly" where he would come on stage in all black leather, wearing black sunglasses, and sing songs a certain way.  Then, he'd come out later in white makeup, in a red devil suit, and call himself Mr. Mcphisto.  He'd sing all the falsetto songs like that, and play pranks on the audience, etc.  He'd have a giant remote control, and turn through dozens of channels on hundreds of giant t.v. screens onstage for 5 minutes, only to declare nothing was on and then launch into another song.  Then there's "Numb", with Edge rambling on and on for the verses about how the world is numb "Don't think, Don't Walk, Don't Talk, Don't move, Don't Balance on the Fence, everything is Cool.   It's Cool." with Bono singing in falsetto in the background "I FEEEEEEL NUMMMMBBBBBBBB" (he credited the vocals to "the fat lady" in the liner notes)... Other songs were happy, catchy tunes about a woman stuck in a life of spousal abuse, and how she makes excuses for her husband beating her, etc.  Awesome, amazingly creative stuff.  Zooropa, awesome album.

Next, in 98? or so, they released their follow up to Zooropa, "POP".  The first single was "Disquoteque" and was pretty ingenius, I think.  This whole album was about how the whole world was just like Pop music, and how they were pop and not ashamed of it... it was almost a perfect pop album, too, lol.  Songs like "Staring at the sun" and "The last night on Earth" were great, electric, slick, polished pop songs.  Think Oasis on Miracle Gro.  They held the first concert of their world tour in the Lingerie section at a K-Mart.  LOL I am NOT kidding.  These guys are nuts.  Another great album, it's good from beginning to end.  "Wake up Dead Man" is about how Bono wishes Jesus was around to talk to him a little bit.  "The Playboy Mansion" is about how the american dream is to be Hugh Heffner, lol, and if you can only get by the gates of the playboy mansion, you have it made.  "If coke, is a mystery.  Michael Jackson, History.  What do I, have to do? What do I need, to get through? The gatesssss of that  mansion...."  LOL.  Another awesome album.  This was their 5th great album in a row, BTW, starting with the Joshua Tree, all 5 are basically classic.  

Next, they released "The ground beneath their feet" or whatever it was called, lol.  I didnt' like it as much, because they got so serious.  Bono has always been extremely political, and very spiritual, but this album was like a spiritual/healing type album, in my opinion.  The big song from it was "It's a Beautiful Day" which I hated at first, but really grew on me.  The whole album's sappy, unabashedly beautiful.  If you can stand that, then you'll love it.  You can't really hate them for doing it, though, all music should be like this... I just can't get down with it as good as I should, because it's almost too optomistic.  

U2 ROCK.   They probably are the greatest rock and roll band of the last 20 years.  The only ones close, in my opinion, are Nirvana (too short lived) Oasis (too turbulent), and the Smashing Pumpkins (too short lived).  Stone Temple Pilots are the only other ones who can maybe one day give them a run for their money, in my opinion.  

Myrealname

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2002, 07:06:30 PM »
Every song since the beginning is awesome.

Zero4eva

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2002, 08:14:28 AM »

If you want U2's newer stuff, from the 90's, which is AWESOME , download this... it's poppy, slick, techno funk type stuff, really hard to describe.

"Lemon" off of "Zooropa"
"Numb" off of "Zooropa"
"Disqoteque" off of POP

U2 have went through a ton of changes since they came out in 81? or so.  First, they were kind of a rock band, but it was really basic, political stuff.  They had a ton of charged up Irish politics in their songs.  In the late 80's, around 87, they released "The Joshua Tree" which revolutionized music, in my opinion.  It was really soulfull, rock.  Love songs, and Bono's voice was AMAZING, he sounds like an Angel on earth.  Some of the songs were still Political, and they were just powerful stuff, really well written, very clever and honest lyrics, great music.  Next, they got pretty famous, and did a world tour, they released recordings from it, along with new songs, on their slick album "Rattle and Hum" which is kinda like a supercharged version of "the Joshua Tree" since some of the songs are the same, except live with thousands of screaming fans, and most of the added songs are pretty rocking, they have a duet with B.B. King on there, called "When Love Comes To Town" that's just great.  Next, Bono did a song "I've got you under my Skin" with Frank Sinatra on his "Duets" album, you should get, it's great.  Next, they released "Achtung, Baby" which is even MORE pop, but kinda like predecesor to the whole grunge movement thing... I think it came out in 92 or so, and had a lot of great songs on it, Bono was getting more into soulfull type singing, ... it's like pop spirit music or something, lol.  His voice is stunning on a lot of these songs.  

Next, they turned into legends.  They released an album in 94? called "Zooropa".  This is when Bono starting developing alter egos.  The concept is that, the rock business is a Zoo, and the world is a Zoo.  So, they went totally over the top, and embraced the "zoo" concept, in an album, a video, and a world tour.  While on tour, Bono would come on stage as different personas, and use computer equipment hooked up to the screens on stage to prank phone call people like madonna... one time, he called from stage and ordered pizza for everybody in the stadium.  Their music took on a strange, techno/pop/glam rock type sound, and really took them to the next level, I think.  This is my favourite stuff of theirs.  The album has stuff like "Lemon", with bono singing in a falsetto voice half the time, and the Edge (one of the world's most inventive guitarists) chiming in in a monotone vocal to sing the bridge... with bono singing falsetto harmonies in the background the whole time... lol you've got to hear it.  It's almost like hiphop, driving bass, sharp drums, really great.  Bono - "And I feel... like I'm driftin, Driftin, Driftin', from the Sho'.... and I feel, like I'm slowly Slippin' UndAAAAAA!!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!" and then the Edge - "Man builds a city.  banks and cathedrals.  Man dreams of leaving, but he always waits behind.  Man captures color.  Man likes to spend.  Turns his money into light, to look for her. " Crazy Stuff.

He had 1 character called "The Fly" where he would come on stage in all black leather, wearing black sunglasses, and sing songs a certain way.  Then, he'd come out later in white makeup, in a red devil suit, and call himself Mr. Mcphisto.  He'd sing all the falsetto songs like that, and play pranks on the audience, etc.  He'd have a giant remote control, and turn through dozens of channels on hundreds of giant t.v. screens onstage for 5 minutes, only to declare nothing was on and then launch into another song.  Then there's "Numb", with Edge rambling on and on for the verses about how the world is numb "Don't think, Don't Walk, Don't Talk, Don't move, Don't Balance on the Fence, everything is Cool.   It's Cool." with Bono singing in falsetto in the background "I FEEEEEEL NUMMMMBBBBBBBB" (he credited the vocals to "the fat lady" in the liner notes)... Other songs were happy, catchy tunes about a woman stuck in a life of spousal abuse, and how she makes excuses for her husband beating her, etc.  Awesome, amazingly creative stuff.  Zooropa, awesome album.

Next, in 98? or so, they released their follow up to Zooropa, "POP".  The first single was "Disquoteque" and was pretty ingenius, I think.  This whole album was about how the whole world was just like Pop music, and how they were pop and not ashamed of it... it was almost a perfect pop album, too, lol.  Songs like "Staring at the sun" and "The last night on Earth" were great, electric, slick, polished pop songs.  Think Oasis on Miracle Gro.  They held the first concert of their world tour in the Lingerie section at a K-Mart.  LOL I am NOT kidding.  These guys are nuts.  Another great album, it's good from beginning to end.  "Wake up Dead Man" is about how Bono wishes Jesus was around to talk to him a little bit.  "The Playboy Mansion" is about how the american dream is to be Hugh Heffner, lol, and if you can only get by the gates of the playboy mansion, you have it made.  "If coke, is a mystery.  Michael Jackson, History.  What do I, have to do? What do I need, to get through? The gatesssss of that  mansion...."  LOL.  Another awesome album.  This was their 5th great album in a row, BTW, starting with the Joshua Tree, all 5 are basically classic.  

Next, they released "The ground beneath their feet" or whatever it was called, lol.  I didnt' like it as much, because they got so serious.  Bono has always been extremely political, and very spiritual, but this album was like a spiritual/healing type album, in my opinion.  The big song from it was "It's a Beautiful Day" which I hated at first, but really grew on me.  The whole album's sappy, unabashedly beautiful.  If you can stand that, then you'll love it.  You can't really hate them for doing it, though, all music should be like this... I just can't get down with it as good as I should, because it's almost too optomistic.  

U2 ROCK.   They probably are the greatest rock and roll band of the last 20 years.  The only ones close, in my opinion, are Nirvana (too short lived) Oasis (too turbulent), and the Smashing Pumpkins (too short lived).  Stone Temple Pilots are the only other ones who can maybe one day give them a run for their money, in my opinion.  

nice one. for some more info go to www.warr.org

Suga Foot

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2002, 01:15:52 PM »
my 2 favs are "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "It's A Beautifil Day"

Murrow

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2002, 01:16:50 PM »
"Beautiful Day" is my favorite of theirs.

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2002, 06:31:43 PM »

"Lemon" off of "Zooropa"
"Numb" off of "Zooropa"
"Disqoteque" off of POP

Thank you os much man. Out of all of those I only heard One and man that is a great song. I got alot of downloading to do lol....well nah I think I'll buy one of their albums.

I can't believe I haven't recognized these guys before.  Their single "Electrical Storm" is what finally woke me up.

Thanks again.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE