Author Topic: "The Lakers wanted to trade me Kobe for Dirk straight up and I told them no"  (Read 915 times)

GangstaBoogy

Via ESPN Radio. Mark Cuban was discussing the possible Kobe/Dirk trade from last summer. Dude took another huge L.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
It's not that simple. Just because Kobe is the better player it doesn't necessarily make the team better. Especially when it's SG for PF, when PFs are more valuable. There would have been a big hole in the frontcourt, with an overloaded backcourt. Also, there was the chance of the Lakers getting really desperate (imagine Bynum flopping and no Gasol trade, hell, even no Ariza trade) ... in that case the Lakers might have agreed to something like Kobe for Howard and Terry... that could have made the Mavs ridiculously good.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
It's not that simple. Just because Kobe is the better player it doesn't necessarily make the team better. Especially when it's SG for PF, when PFs are more valuable. There would have been a big hole in the frontcourt, with an overloaded backcourt. Also, there was the chance of the Lakers getting really desperate (imagine Bynum flopping and no Gasol trade, hell, even no Ariza trade) ... in that case the Lakers might have agreed to something like Kobe for Howard and Terry... that could have made the Mavs ridiculously good.
Better then the Kidd trade. :P

GangstaBoogy

Fuck all that positions shiet - he had a chance to get Kobe! Had the trade gone down the Mavs would've looked somethin like...

Erick Dampier
Brandon Bass
Josh Howard
Kobe Bryant
Devin Harris

^ thats damn sure not a 1st round exit.

OG Hack Wilson

Via ESPN Radio. Mark Cuban was discussing the possible Kobe/Dirk trade from last summer. Dude took another huge L.

while yes, Mark was stupid for saying no beacuse Kobe is a better player, I can see why he wouldn't do that

Dirk and Cuban are very close friends, as are Cuban and Shaq (another guy Cuban wouldn't trade Dirk for).  Who knows how Kobe and Cuban would get along.
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Mark Cuban is insane.

herpes

Sometimes you make moves based on a players talent/potential over your needs.  Ask the Blazers about that and the 1984 draft

GangstaBoogy

Sometimes you make moves based on a players talent/potential over your needs.  Ask the Blazers about that and the 1984 draft

Yes but they had Clyde Drexler. And its not like Jordan was in his prime.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Exactly. Nobody knew Jordan was gonna be Jordan and at the time Bowie was projected to be at least as good as Olajuwon. Funny how nobody questions Houston for passing on Jordan. These are two totally different situations. you know what you're gonna get from both players at an NBA level when you're talking about Dirk and Kobe. If the Lakers offer you Kobe for Dirk you don't pass that up unless you're emotionally attached to Dirk somehow. Mark Cuban is insane. Nevermind that he traded his pg of the future away for a 2-3 year rental of Kidd.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 07:47:38 PM by Turf Hitta »

GangstaBoogy

Exactly. Nobody knew Jordan was gonna be Jordan and at the time Bowie was projected to be at least as good as Olajuwon. Funny how nobody questions Houston for passing on Jordan. These are two totally different situations. you know what you're gonna get from both players at an NBA level when you're talking about Dirk and Kobe. If the Lakers offer you Kobe for Dirk you don't pass that up unless you're emotionally attached to Dirk somehow. Mark Cuban is insane. Nevermind that he traded his pg of the future away for a 2-3 year rental of Kidd.

Well Houston did go on to win 2 championships with Hakeem so...

But other than that I agree.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Well Houston did go on to win 2 championships with Hakeem so...

But other than that I agree.

2<6. The point is that if anybody knew Jordan would be Jordan, he would have been the first pick easily. Everybody already knows where Dirk and Kobe stand and Kobe is clearly better. Once again, mark Cuban is crazy. lol
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 08:37:07 PM by Turf Hitta »

jeromechickenbone

Isn't it pretty much obvious that these soft Euro's are better suited as a 2 option?  If I'm the Lakers, I never even contemplate this deal.

thisoneguy360

We all knew Cuban was an idiot but DAMN

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
*waits for NIK to come in here pissed off that the trigger wasn't pulled because he thinks Dirk is better than Kobe*

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
LOL, Cuban trying to break the Lakers stirde by coming out with a "Phil Jacksonesqe"
perfectly timed comment, right before an important game... ;)

Nice try Cuban.