Author Topic: Irv Gotti Inspires Rockwilder To Rap Again  (Read 442 times)

themovie

Irv Gotti Inspires Rockwilder To Rap Again
« on: August 20, 2002, 08:44:56 AM »
Grammy award winning producer Rockwilder has announced that he too would jump into the rap fray like Irv Gotti, CEO of Murder Inc. “I said if Irv Gotti can do it, so can I,” the producer said to AllHipHop.com.

The rapper-turned-producer first gained underground recognition in the group Crossbreed, who were featured on Redman's Muddy Waters album and a number of Def Squad songs. Eventually, Rock left the rap game to focus on production instead and Crossbreed fizzled out.

But, when Gotti that he would record a rap album, Rock said he would take his career back to its roots.

While he was a serious emcee, Rock doesn't aim to spit the entire way through his upcoming album so he plans to release a compilation, similar to Dr. Dre’s Chronic.

"I'm probably not even going to say anything,” he said laughing, “You would be surprised. I'll probably just do a joint and let all the fellas do their thing."

Rockwilder insisted that he would rely on his stable of artists for the majority of the verbal gymnastics.

"I got people I hand-picked for two years,” he said of his still-unknown crew. “I got sick joints."

At presstime, he said he was considering releasing the project either independently or possibly Interscope, who was making attractive offers. He also hoped to release the compilation the first quarter of 2003.

The producer said Redman’s upcoming project on Def Jam would take priority over his own. "With the whole Redman, it was the whole timing of [Malpractice, Redman’s last CD] that didn't work. Red is kind of comfortable doing his 500, 000. " The longtime collaborator of Redman said the rapper’s next opus would be more successful that the previous, which received mixed reviews.

In the music game for nearly a decade, Rock said he has learned, through the years, to craft complete songs, not just beats. And, he admitted, working with legendary duo Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis didn’t hurt.

He said, “Its like I am thinking right now and I sat down with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis and that's what really got me on. Then I started working on the Janet album. I came in there with like 60 tracks, but all them tracks didn't work. But it was the tracks that I made while I was there that that taught me [how to produce]. I was like 'Damn, Jimmy Jam, you sending me back to hip-hop with this [R&B tracks] - this whole bridge-chorus thing.”

The producer’s career climaxed last year when he received a Grammy award for an updated version of Patti LaBelle’s "Lady Marmalade," one that he said he appreciated.

“I came back and did that song with Missy and won a Grammy. I can't believe I won a Grammy. I couldn't believe that," he said.

Rockwilder has produced for the artists like Janet Jackson, Jay-Z, Busta Rhymes, May J. Blige, Pink, Redman and the late greats Big Pun and Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Jome

Re: Irv Gotti Inspires Rockwilder To Rap Again
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2002, 01:41:10 PM »
Fuck yea, Rockwilder is one of the best producers out there.
I knew he used to do back-up vocals, but I didn't know he used to rap too.

He is among the most inventive producers out there rite now.
I believe he got SiCk joints like he said, since we haven't heard that much from him lately.

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2002, 02:05:31 PM »

Hell yeah!!!
I'll give it a listen no doubt, sound's interesting and if he makes this the comp cd it sound's like it is...whoa!!!!
Imagine all the artists he laced up wit beat's over the years, man it's payback time...lol

On another note...Who heard Irv Gotti pick up the mic on the new "Murder InC lp"..?
It wasn't that bad actualy to tell yall' the truth.....Gotti had a short ass verse but hey, he did his thang.
I've heard worse.

But yeah I'll be on the lookout for that Rock ish..
Good lookin' out homie

Hatesrats 2oo2

kuniver

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Going For A 7th!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2002, 08:20:33 PM »
Rockwilder's beat are tight, but for somereason you can tell which ones he produces cuz the way theysound.. but the one that made me go  :o is "Front 2 Back"
"I smash mics like cornbread, you can't kill me I was born dead"- Big L (RIP)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2002, 09:46:20 PM »
Cant wait...