Author Topic: Nas- Greatest East Coast Rapper of All Time!!!!  (Read 1140 times)

Trauma-san

Re: Nas- Greatest East Coast Rapper of All Time!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2002, 06:57:35 PM »
Honestly, hate me or whatever, I never thought nas was that incredible.  He's good.  period.

Rakim, Public Enemy, and especially #1 Biggie all were more talented.  I'd even say guys like Common and Jay Z and Black Thought are PROBABLY more talented, but they're too inconsistant.  Nas has a pretty good record, I think.

I gotta give it to Biggie.  Rakim is a little dated, to me, I didn't listen to him when he was huge, so maybe I don't fully comprehend how dope he was... I know he's a huge influence on everybody, and everything i've heard is dope.  However, that being said, I believe Biggie would have been *the* best rapper to ever live, above even Pac, (well, it's close, I dunno) if he would have had time to do more.  The stuff he did do is unique, I think, it's all original stuff, and some of his words are just unbelievable... Some of the lines are just crazy, hard stuff, and his flow and voice were perfect, perfect perfect.  Even his pauses were perfect... "I dun smoked with the best of 'em (pause) shot at the rest of um (pause) was about a hundred or more (pause.....) maybe less of 'um"  - Just perfect flow.  Peace~
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

S.G.V.

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2002, 08:13:14 PM »
01. Krs-One
02. Rakim
03. Chuck D
04. Big Daddy Kane
05. L.L. Cool J
06. Kool G Rap
07. Biggie
08. Redman
09. Melli Mel
10. PMD

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2002, 09:08:51 PM »
Theres no order...There are just the bests, and the bests are:

Nas, Biggie, Cuck D, Rakim, KRS...

Damn, theres just WAYYY to many to name...LoL...You get the point though...Its all a matter of opinion.. but if u take the average hip hop heads opinion, the answer would come out as "Rakim"...PeAcE

Jome

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2002, 03:32:17 AM »
But as I said, Biggies flows crush everyone in the rap game, even my favorite 'Pac, so it's easy to say Big, 'cause Big had it all, plus it was very easy to listen to.

I think Red & Meth got the sickest flows in the game today.
When Method Man is in the zone, there ain't no stopping him.

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2002, 04:07:43 AM »
To the ones that don't list Ra that highly, I have a feeling he's gonna go up in your estimation when "Oh My God" drops....and rightfully so.

And to say, 'what if' or 'if he was still here' about Biggie is stupid. Biggie's legacy stopped when he died, right, other rappers can't help that, they can only go on and continue their legacy's, like Nas, Jay and many others are doing. The rap game doesn't stop because Biggie & 'Pac are dead, rappers come and go, the best stick in our heads, their regarded as legends, but just because they are dead doesn't mean other rappers can't top their legacy's. 2Pac is the G.O.A.T for me personally, he has been for many many years, but for all I know someone else could come along in years to come and blow me away and change my whole opinion. Not that thats likely to happen  ;D but you still gotta keep an open mind.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

teecee

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2002, 08:09:55 AM »
ha ha Method Man shouldn't even be included in this topic.....although you could argue for Redman based on his earlier work....

Biggie- maybe would've been the greatest as his flow is the greatest of all time (well, Doggystyle Snoop is comparable)....however, people act like he did no wrong!  I mean, Life After Death is a classic, but it DID have some wack songs......and he only had a chance to drop two albums, so he never really fell off---imagine if Snoop died after DOggystyle!.....

Nas- alot of people say IWW isn't a classic, but a lot of people also say Pac's Makeveli wasn't classic either.  Nas has more great songs than any other rapper in eastcoast history, but he has a lot of wack ones too......kinda funny though how some rappers like Jay Z and Big are allowed to do commercial songs while Nas gets hated on when he does so

Kool G Rap- incredible story teller and rapid fire spitter, he has to at least be considered

other honorable mention: LL COOL J (don't sleep), Chuck D, Jay Z

However, the top 2 gotta be RAKIM & Big Daddy Kane!!!! They fathered all your favourite Mc's styles.......Rakim brought the conscious/streetwise rap, making way for Nas to do what he does.   BDK brought the incredible wordplay and flow, creating the style that Big, Jay Z, and especially a young Snoop would take to another level...

teecee

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2002, 08:33:06 AM »
"My rhymes are so dope and/ rappers be hopin
to sound like me soon i'll have to open
a school of mcing
for those who wanna be in
my field and court
then again on second thought
to have mc's coming out soundin so similar
it quite confusin for you to remember the
originator, and boy to i hate a..... perpatrator
but i'm much greater
the best oh yes i guess suggest the best just fess
don't mess or test...your highness
unless you just address with best finesses
and bless the paragraphs i manifest
rap prime minister
some say sinister
non-stopping the groove until when its
the climax, then i max, relax and chill
have a break from a take, i mean actin ill
brain cells will lift, i dare start to hit
next the formation of words that fit
at the table i sit, makin it legit
and when the pen hits the paper.....ah shit
i start to stand strong over mc's
and devour with the power of hercules
or sampson, i go further with length
cuz you could scout my cameo and i'd still have strength
and no, thats not a myth and if u try to rip
or get with the man get with the given gift...
of gab, your vocab,  will only ignore
be sleepin on your rhymes til i start to snore
you can't awake me, or even make me
fear ya son, cuz u can't do me none....so
think about it if ya tryin to go
when ya wanna step to me, i think ya should know"

the legendary rapper who did this verse is, to me, tied with Rakim for greatest eastcoast rapper of all time......

1. rakim & BDK
2. nas & Biggie

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2002, 08:43:05 AM »

......kinda funny though how some rappers like Jay Z and Big are allowed to do commercial songs while Nas gets hated on when he does so

well it's not very hard to figure out why, Unless u decide to swallow blindly anything he puts out(mainlly due to his supreme vocal abillities while completely ignoring the lyrical flawz). Ive been saying it for ages, when Nas is focused-he can break unimaginable records, therefore, he has great potensial but as u follow his career u find out that the only way he can stay focused(more less focused) is either by dealing wit so called- serious isues(although not always) through his music AND\OR while trying to prove something(more likely), NAS unlike other MCz who surpass him lyriclly,simply can't stay focused in any other conditions. He often falls flat while reciting gimmickz and cliche's which seem unconected and apart of each other , as if he was simply rhyming words...in the MC sence nas is a dope lyricist- he can bring ILL lines, dope metaphores and imagery but all this is worth nothing if he can't structure it right, and to strucutre it right he needs focus,which he lacks. When he tries to do comersial tracks he usually looses the listener very fast....
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2002, 10:18:44 AM »
S.G.V. mentioned Melli Mel, who I overllooked in this arguement, but on my offical list, have him at number 5 or so. Melli Mel did the Message and White Lines. Greatest Rapper out the early 80's, pre-Rakim. Melli Mel had a nice flow, lyricals were average, but message was just great. And my offical list of JUST EASTCOAST rappers.

1. Rakim
2. Notorious B.I.G.
3. Nas
4. KRS-One
5. Melli Mel
6. Big Daddy Kane
7. LL Cool J
8. Chuck D
9. Kool G Rap
10. Jay Z (don't like as much now, but was a fan of his earlier work)

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2002, 10:57:06 AM »
a top 10 list without g rap? 3 classic albums, the greatest story-teller ever, started the criminology style, and he still gets no love. thats bullshit.
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2002, 02:29:19 PM »
It's hard narrowing down eastcoast rappers, 'cause the east is so deep. I was looking for places for Slick Rick, Method, Red Man, Erick Sermon, CL Smooth, the list can go on of others I had in mind. But I'm happy with my list, and I stick to it as mine. The West is easier, 2Pac, Cube, Snoop, Ren, then whoever, D.J. Quik, Xzibit, M.C. Eiht, Kurupt, Evidence of Dilated Peoples and Slim Kid 3 of Pharcyde. The list can change depending on the person, but the top 4 are always the same. 2Pac of course the GOAT, Cube has been more consident than Snoop, and Ren 4th 'cause his solo career isn't great, but still drops great rhymes. But the East has a way deeper roster.

S.G.V.

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2002, 03:37:51 PM »
alot of people dont know about melli mell...thats why they dont regard him...but melli had some of the best content and flow i have ever heard on any coast...i think the farthest back anyone goes is kane...i believe thats 86...even then not many know about kane...thats why ur gonna see alot of newer rappers on the lists...

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2002, 05:29:25 AM »
Version...2.1

Nice....The feedback on this wa tight
here is my "Hatesrats Eastcoast top 10"

1.The Notorious B.I.G.
2.Rakim
3.LL Cool J
4.Erick Sermon
5.Run/DmC
6.Jay-Z
7.Nas
8.Big Punisher
9.Big Daddy Kane
10.Redman
*11.Chuck D

ImO
That's my top 10...
I took into consideration the fact that this is what I bumped when the shitt was new...everything on that list was copped on their first attempt.
so I got love for all the artits on my list.
the higher peep's got the most spin's.

I'll bump this shit till the day I die......if hip-hop was to fade tommorow and no more tracks were recorded eva again.
I got it to last forever with enough eastcoast flavor to last the rest of my days with just the mention 10 above.
--------------------------------
Word to "Beat street"..."The Message" "White Lines....Sugerhill Gang...Kool Mo Dee...Doug E Fresh...G-Rap...B.D.P...ect
But my list only consists of spin's I made....This is my top 10.
Dannmm!! I could have placed any of those rapper's in any order and i wouldn't have mattered to me.

Who else own's all the shit of their fav's in their list...I got all their discography with the exception of the New "Public enemy" and the "He got game soundtrack"....lol

Peace
Hatesrats 2oo2

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2002, 09:42:53 PM »

4.Erick Sermon

Erick Sermon DEFINENTLY belongs in the Producers list, but I wouldnt really put him in the Top east coast rappers list...PeAcE