Author Topic: Ballerstatus Interview With D.O.C.....  (Read 1091 times)

Chad

Ballerstatus Interview With D.O.C.....
« on: June 06, 2008, 10:02:35 AM »
http://www.ballerstatus.com/article/features/2008/06/4839/

Go check that interview out....by yours truly...
Resume: BBC / HipHopDX / TMZ / Billboard / XXL / LA Weekly / AFH // Ice Cube. MC Ren . Sir Jinx . DOC . Too Short . Fredwreck . DJ Jazzy Jeff

www.chadkiser.com
Twitter:  @chadmkiser
IG:  chadmkiser

Digital Pimpin'

Re: Ballerstatus Interview With D.O.C.....
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 10:55:06 AM »
Big props 8)

I'm always interested in what DOC has to say; he speaks truth.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 11:12:50 AM »
 :o another interview by you with the D.O.C.  8) didn't see that one coming  ;)

well done  ;)

BallerStatus.com: What's a typical day like in the studio for you?

D.O.C: Well, this is a typical day. Right now, I'm sitting on my ass and I was listening to beats before you called -- listening to drums that Dre picked out that he says that he feels good about. I'll listen to them and see if something just hits me, or I'll take them home and live with them for a little while. Then I'll come back up and lay something down. If he feels good about it, then we'll f*** with it until it feels good to everybody. And then we build songs like that until we get 12 or 13 songs that everybody likes. Then you just start chiseling at those songs until you get the product you want.

this answer confused me  :-\

he's talking about the new DOC album that they're going to make together right, not Detox?

It's the one set of ears besides mine that I trust. He's the only mother****er that's ever told me my raps wasn't good (laughs). I mean ever in life! And it will piss me off, and I really get mad at him because he doesn't do it to any of these other people like that. He works with a lot of people, but I'm the only mother****er that he chooses to jump down their throat like that. He don't tell Snoopy, or Busta, or Jay-Z, or Eminem or none of those guys, "I don't like that." He'll tell me that sh** in a hot minute! But I know it's a lot of love in it, so I don't look too deep into it.
wow, i guess i underestimated their friendship  ;)

BallerStatus.com: Writing for Dre, or Snoop, or Breed, how do you put yourself in their minds to make them come off as well as they're able to come off with your words?

D.O.C: That's easy. Even more than a rapper, I'm a writer. I'm like Langston Hughes, rather than Method Man. I get turned on by the way that the words connect, so that not only n****s understand it, but that white folks can, too. Matter of fact, when I write, I write it so that the average white person can pick it up and read it, and not know that it's a rap. But be able to read it fluently as if it was just a page in a book or something. That was my key to being able to get N.W.A. on the radio, was to make them disarming to white folks. White folks was scared of them, they wouldn't let them near the radio, or let them come near 'cause they were afraid of them. But if you write songs that the white folks can understand, that they find comical, then it turns into something else. For instance, when Eazy and N.W.A put out "F*** The Police," we got letters from the FBI. But it didn't take long for the FBI to figure out, "we ain't trippin' on these n****s." They can say "f*** the police" all they want. Aight, it's cool. At the time, what they were afraid of is that n****s was gaining a momentum in the idea where we weren't just falling for the okey-doke no more. Like Martin Luther's dream was coming back up. If you remember, back in the late '80s was the Public Enemy era. That movement had a lot to do with N.W.A.

BallerStatus.com: Definitely! What has been your influence in writing the way that you do?

this is so true, he described one of his strengths perfectly.

BallerStatus.com: Finally, I was wondering how, after you left the Death Row situation and then came back for Chronic 2001, how were you and Dre able to re-connect that relationship?

D.O.C: Well, really, all that sh** was on me. It was a culmination of 20 years going through bullsh** mentally; not necessarily with Dre, but me. You always strike out at the mother****er's that's closest to you, and Dre's always been the mother****er always trying to hold me down. He showed me love and tried to help me figure out how I could make the sh** work, but I didn't want to make it work the way he wanted to make it work. I wanted to make it work the way I wanted to make it work. It boiled down to a n**** can't make you do what's best for you, you got to figure that sh** out on your own. So me coming back for the 2001 record was us taking a step in that direction because he called me and told me that he needed my help. That's what a brother would do. In the midst of making that record, I was still f***ed up and f***ing up, but that time we had a chance to spend time together and put me in a position to understand what it was going to take for me to be able to get to that next level that I've been trying to get to for the last 20 years. To get this monkey off my back, where I can create and feel like I busted a nut on everybody.

it's good to hear that he's progressing, hopefully he'll eventually reach that "next level" :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 11:47:14 AM by Dre-Day »

CJMacc

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 12:15:27 PM »
I LUV TO READ THE SHIT HE SAYZ... SUMTIMES ITS COMICAL BUT ALSO ALOT OF HISTORY BEHIND IT... AND HE SHOWS HIS FAULTS... GOOD DUDE... THANKS FOR THE INTERVIEW... PROPZ....

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 05:09:07 AM »
up

The Predator

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 12:40:41 AM »
BallerStatus.com: Snoop's Doggystyle was the last album where we really saw Dr. Dre produce an album top to bottom. Why doesn't he produce records all the way through anymore?

D.O.C: Well that would be just like asking Mr. McDonald why he don't make every burger himself.

Tell that to Quincy Jones.

Okka

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 01:49:54 AM »
Props, good interview.

D-Stress

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 02:50:48 AM »
 8) the d.o.c is the man.i love his interviews.

Chad Vader

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 01:11:47 AM »

D.O.C: Well, this is a typical day.
Right now, I'm sitting on my ass and I was listening to beats before you called
-- listening to drums that Dre picked out that he says that he feels good about.
I'll listen to them and see if something just hits me, or I'll take them home and live with them for a little while.
Then I'll come back up and lay something down. If he feels good about it, then we'll f*** with it until it feels good to everybody.
And then we build songs like that until we get 12 or 13 songs that everybody likes.
Then you just start chiseling at those songs until you get the product you want.

he's talking about the new DOC album that they're going to make together right, not Detox?

hmmmm,not sure.
Because this part;
Then I'll come back up and lay something down.
sounds like he actually lay down vocals himself.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 01:23:30 AM »

-- listening to drums that Dre picked out that he says that he feels good about.
I'll listen to them and see if something just hits me, or I'll take them home and live with them for a little while.
Then I'll come back up and lay something down. If he feels good about it, then we'll f*** with it until it feels good to everybody.
And then we build songs like that until we get 12 or 13 songs that everybody likes.
Then you just start chiseling at those songs until you get the product you want.

hmmmm,not sure.
Because this part;

yeah, and it sounds like they've just started on "this" project, that's why i think he's not talking about Detox

Chad Vader

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 01:30:08 AM »

hmmmm,not sure.
Because this part;

yeah, and it sounds like they've just started on "this" project, that's why i think he's not talking about Detox

in other words you´re saying that Detox is finished and they´re already working on the next project?

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 01:34:11 AM »

hmmmm,not sure.
Because this part;

in other words you´re saying that Detox is finished and they´re already working on the next project?

well i wouldn't say finished, but he can't be talking about Detox; this would be something D.O.C. would say maybe 2 years ago, but now?
 :P

i might be wrong though  :-\